PDA

View Full Version : Will new growth become normal hair?

markay23
June 7th, 2015, 10:51 AM
I've been facing hair loss due to stress since the past 2 years but I finally have new growth, strands and strands of baby hair all over my scalp. My hair is naturally straight and smooth but now it looks frizzy and not silky at all, which is really stressing me out because my hair never was like that. Will my hair be like this from now on? Or does it look frizzy because of new growth? Will all this baby hair grow to be normal hair and if yes how long will it take? Thanks!

lapushka
June 7th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Have you had bloodwork done at all. I'd say that's the first thing that's important. Ruling out deficiencies. If there's new growth, it might take 2 years or so for it to settle in nicely. Give it time. It won't happen overnight.

Nique1202
June 7th, 2015, 11:07 AM
New hair always looks wild when it starts coming in all at once after a big shed. For now, smooth it back with a drop of baby oil or something when you pull the rest of your hair back, and try to be patient. It will start blending in with the rest of it once it gets a little longer. Chances are your texture hasn't changed. It looks wild and frizzy, but it's probably the same as the rest of your hair, just too short and light to stay down on its own yet. Let it grow back in and try your best to relax and not stress out over the new growth.

markay23
June 7th, 2015, 11:08 AM
No I haven't but I will soon, and yeah I never said I expect my hair to grow soon:) I know it takes time I just asked for an estimate. Thanks

markay23
June 7th, 2015, 11:09 AM
New hair always looks wild when it starts coming in all at once after a big shed. For now, smooth it back with a drop of baby oil or something when you pull the rest of your hair back, and try to be patient. It will start blending in with the rest of it once it gets a little longer. Chances are your texture hasn't changed. It looks wild and frizzy, but it's probably the same as the rest of your hair, just too short and light to stay down on its own yet. Let it grow back in and try your best to relax and not stress out over the new growth.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, yes I use a lot of oils and it makes it look neater. Hot oil therapy helps a lot too! It just needs a lot of patience I guess. Thanks again!

Larki
June 7th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I had a ton of new growth because I have trichotillomania, and it does eventually calm down! The hairs just need to get long enough to weigh enough to lay down nicely, and then long enough to make it into braids and updos. For me, it took 2-3 years - right now is a good period. The frizz will go away, you just have to be really patient.

curlylocks85
June 7th, 2015, 01:57 PM
I have no experience when it comes to hair loss, but I do have experience when it comes to new growth. When my new growth makes an appearance, it can look a bit fuzzy. However, as it grows, the less frizz there is because it gets heavier the longer my new growth becomes. That is how my hair is. My hair curly so it may be different for your hair. I noticed you asked about normal hair. I am not sure what you mean exactly by that, but I have never seen anyone's new hair growth as abnormal. Anyway, there are things that can cause changes to hair like medication or hormonal changes. I hope you find the answers you are seeking. :)

spidermom
June 7th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Very honestly, it's impossible to say what your hair will do now. Texture changes with health and hormone levels and sometimes for no reason at all. One thing for sure, more length will add more weight, so new hairs won't be sticking out all over the place.

Anje
June 7th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Yes, it will look like normal hair after a while. It might be that your hair is changing texture (lots of people experience that their hair gets curlier or straighter at some point in their life). But I feel your pain. My hair texture is such that the first few inches of growth are somewhat curly and then the follicles produce straighter hair after that. My new growth is always standing out as a frizzy halo. :silly:

vpatt
June 7th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I had a major shed last fall and I was so happy to see that frizzly halo, lol. Because I was really afraid it wasn't going to come back.

mtzw
June 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I have the same problem. After one year, those hair have grown, though I did not expect it to ever happen. I still have this problem though. Once I first noticed it, I though it was hair that had broken but there were way to short to have been created through breakage.

Phytodefrissant saved my life, it made those hair smooth. I was the only thing that worked and I had tried lots of stuff.

Wusel
June 9th, 2015, 09:52 AM
My new grown short hair is frizzy and curly too but when it's longer the frizziness and curliness go away.

lapushka
June 9th, 2015, 09:53 AM
That's odd, I thought I saw the same question asked a few days ago... :hmm: Yes, if they gain length they will lose the "frizz" value, if you can call it that when your hair is 1a smooth. :)