PDA

View Full Version : So fedup that i had my hair cut - any tips for accelerated growth?

flickm
June 7th, 2015, 04:15 AM
It was down past BSL but the ends were dry - the remains of a couple of sessions when i tried dyeing my greys to blend in with the blonde. So i had it trimmed back to shoulder length, which i now regret. I also have some shorter bits after letting my granddaughter put various bunches and sections in with elastic, while she was playing hairdressers. It's now hennaed, so in better condition, but still thinner than it normally is. I'm using peppermint oil rinses, oiling the ends, using a horn comb etc. It's almost to my armpits now. I guess it will grow faster in the summer - it usually does. Any other tips for getting it back in top condition and growing would be appreciated. I've looked on the forum, but it's difficult to correlate the info, which is scattered around.

Wusel
June 7th, 2015, 04:41 AM
It was down past BSL but the ends were dry - the remains of a couple of sessions when i tried dyeing my greys to blend in with the blonde. So i had it trimmed back to shoulder length, which i now regret. I also have some shorter bits after letting my granddaughter put various bunches and sections in with elastic, while she was playing hairdressers. It's now hennaed, so in better condition, but still thinner than it normally is. I'm using peppermint oil rinses, oiling the ends, using a horn comb etc. It's almost to my armpits now. I guess it will grow faster in the summer - it usually does. Any other tips for getting it back in top condition and growing would be appreciated. I've looked on the forum, but it's difficult to correlate the info, which is scattered around.

I'm sure playing with your granddaughter is wonderful but please, do never let her play with your hair again. Buy her a hairdressing practice head but don't let her touch your hair, please. Children aren't gentle playing with hair and I've taught my son when he was very little that mommy doesn't like him touch her hair (he always wanted and when he managed to rip out a some of my hairs I knew: That's enough!) It took me a lot of effort to teach him: HAND OFF MOMMYS HAIR. But it was worth it.

Try peppermint soap for scalp washing (J.R. Liggett's), Hairfinity, brazil nuts (for selenium) and 100g protein per day (eggs, quark, fish, meat...). That's what makes my hair grow like weeds.

flickm
June 7th, 2015, 04:51 AM
I'm sure playing with your granddaughter is wonderful but please, do never let her play with your hair again. Buy her a hairdressing practice head but don't let her touch your hair, please. Children aren't gentle playing with hair and I've taught my son when he was very little that mommy doesn't like him touch her hair (he always wanted and when he managed to rip out a some of my hairs I knew: That's enough!) It took me a lot of effort to teach him: HAND OFF MOMMYS HAIR. But it was worth it.

Try peppermint soap for scalp washing (J.R. Liggett's), Hairfinity, brazil nuts (for selenium) and 100g protein per day (eggs, quark, fish, meat...). That's what makes my hair grow like weeds.

Hi Wusel, thanks for your informative reply.

No, don't worry, i won't :) but she's grown out of that phase anyway, and hair can recover. I use peppermint EO non chemical shampoo and peppermint EO rinses. What is the advantage of the soap bars? I've never tried soap/shampoo bars, but i see they have them on Amazon UK. I'm vegetarian, so fish and meat are out, but i do have a healthy, balanced diet. Will step up the brazil nuts - thanks for that.

Wusel
June 7th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Hi Wusel, thanks for your informative reply.

No, don't worry, i won't :) but she's grown out of that phase anyway, and hair can recover. I use peppermint EO non chemical shampoo and peppermint EO rinses. What is the advantage of the soap bars? I've never tried soap/shampoo bars, but i see they have them on Amazon UK. I'm vegetarian, so fish and meat are out, but i do have a healthy, balanced diet. Will step up the brazil nuts - thanks for that.

Soap bars are clarifying (make the hair squeaky clean), natural and very gentle.
Don't eat more than 3-5 brazil nuts per day. The amount of selenium in them is extremely high and being overdosed selenium is toxic and can cause massive hair loss.

flickm
June 7th, 2015, 04:59 AM
Soap bars are clarifying (make the hair squeaky clean), natural and very gentle.
Don't eat more than 3-5 brazil nuts per day. The amount of selenium in them is extremely high and being overdosed selenium is toxic and can cause massive hair loss.

OK, I probably eat a handful of brazils a week. Alos flax seed, sunflower and pumpkin seeds etc.

janeytilllie
June 7th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Hi :)

I recommend eating a spoonful of peanut butter a day.
I eat organic 100% peanut butter bought on Amazon called Biona.

It's full of protein and biotin great for hair health. My hair grows very fast.

Also check with doctor and do research first :flower: before changing diet.

I wanted to eat eggs for hair growth, turns out I'm allergic to them. Always be careful.

I learned this trick from andrea here on lhc. :)
Here's her blog post about it.
http://691superlonghair.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/updated-my-hair-care-routine-and.html

HTH :)

ETA I think your hair looks healthy and stunning :) Your hair seems and in my opinion looks.
happy.

Avoid messing a good working routine. As the saying goes don't fix what ain't broke.

It can do more damage in the long run. Also what works for some may do havoc to you.

I've learnt that lesson many times xx.

vega
June 7th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Your hair has always looked in top condition in my opion flickm

butter52
June 7th, 2015, 05:26 AM
In my opinion unless you are not healthy, dont do anything other than common sense protecting your hair (which you allready do!)

So enjoy the journey instead of obssessing on getting there faster. And learn to love your lenght (try new styles!)

Anje
June 7th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Most of getting hair to grow is simply staying out of its way, of course. Be gentle when you comb, protect your end from friction, getting caught under straps, getting leaned against, etc. Sleep enough, eat well, exercise reasonably, be less stressed out than you probably are. Keep your scalp happy (some people need to keep it super clean, some need it moisturized or oiled, whatever keeps yours from being grumpy). ETA: Also, don't cut off hair that doesn't need cut. I'm not saying yours didn't, but the recommended trims every 6-8 weeks are really counter-productive unless you truly only get the tiniest bit taken off. Most stylists cut to maintain a style by reducing your length back to where it was. Few are practiced at removing worn ends without substantially shortening hair.

If you're looking for more, there's an "inversion challenge" that's been popular lately that involves massaging your scalp for a few minutes, then lowering you head. Reportedly, this increases growth for some people if some for one week, then taking 3 weeks off.

Another one that works for some people, of all crazy things, is miconazole nitrate (Monistat in the USA) applied to the scalp once or twice a week. Do some reading on that one. Some people find it increases their shedding, so don't persist at that if it doesn't work.

lapushka
June 7th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Just like Anje said, careful handling & I think... patience of course. I don't think there's much else to do. I wish you would have posted before you had the cut, though. We might have convinced you not to do it... but it's too late now... :(

spidermom
June 7th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I think soap bars are horrible for hair; they're too alkaline. To be healthy, the scalp needs to maintain an acid balance. Most shampoos are pH balanced for the scalp. Soap isn't.

renia22
June 7th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Flickm- I second what spidermom says about the alkaline shampoo bars. Right now I'm using Folicure shampoo & conditioner, which I alternate with a few drugstore ones. So far I like it a lot. Also I have been taking a supplement called Biosil that is supposed to help with growth (along with a healthy diet, and adequate water intake .. I'm taking it in hopes of getting some of my old thickness back), and I'm going to try to follow some of these tips for optimal hair health:

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/11-foods-and-natural-remedies-for-healthy-hair-growth

I do some of them already; I've especially had great luck with rosemary essential oil.

Good luck!

flickm
June 7th, 2015, 10:03 AM
OK guys, thanks for all this. You are all awesome with support. Thanks also for assurances that my hair looks healthy. The eating thing I'm already doing - am wholefood veggie and eat very healthly, including all the stuff mentioned here except eggs, which I'm allergic to and hate. I use rhassoul clay, ACV and natural shampoos, plus peppermint EO. Inversion I've seen before and thought looks interesting. i am careful now about combing - i use a horn comb and get nil or one or two hairs coming out a day. When i used a hogs hair brush, it used to be full of hair after each brushing. I did go through a stressful period, another reason I had my hair cut as it had got quite thin - but it's thickening up again now with new ones sprouting.

And i know, I know re the cutting - but it's hair and hair grows . . . just I'm massively impatient. I guess before you know it, it will be back where it was. I've never managed to grow it longer than halfway down my back, somewhat short of waist length. it will be interesting to see if i can coax it that bit further. Is that realistic?

flickm
June 7th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Also will probably give the shampoo/soap bars a miss as my current hair washing regime seems to be effective. All good suggestions though, and thanks again all of you :)

Wusel
June 7th, 2015, 01:49 PM
I think soap bars are horrible for hair; they're too alkaline. To be healthy, the scalp needs to maintain an acid balance. Most shampoos are pH balanced for the scalp. Soap isn't.

I meant shampoo bars!!!
Not SOAP bars!!!
I use the J.R. Liggett shampoo bars. It looks like soap but it isn't.
Sorry, my mistake. I always say soap because it looks like one... :lipssealed:

And I cut it in tiny pieces and dillute it in water. I put it in a bottle with water and give it a good shake and then give it over my head. :)

flickm
June 7th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I meant shampoo bars!!!
Not SOAP bars!!!

And I cut it in tiny pieces and dillute it in water. I put it in a bottle with water and give it a good shake and then give it over my head. :)

I actually looked up shampoo bars. I use rhassoul clay, alternating with non chemical shampoo every so many washes, and wonder how that compares. I rinse with ACV anyway. This is all extremely interesting. I think I have the dietary stuff in balance, but washing methods and oils etc are of expanding interest to me.

Even if people feel I've responded to all suggestions, please keep them coming. I'm especially interested in getting my hair past mid back, which has always been a sticking point before, especially as I've never tried coaxing it to get longer before but just assumed that was its terminal length.

Lianna
June 7th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Castor oil cut with another lighter oil for easier application to scalp.

elsieivy
June 7th, 2015, 05:52 PM
And i know, I know re the cutting - but it's hair and hair grows . . . just I'm massively impatient. I guess before you know it, it will be back where it was. I've never managed to grow it longer than halfway down my back, somewhat short of waist length. it will be interesting to see if i can coax it that bit further. Is that realistic?

If you were able to grow your hair to around midback without doing anything special for it then I imagine you can get to at least waist if not longer if you wear it up, use hair friendly products and techniques, and just generally baby it. (A lot of people who have trouble growing past bsl or midback discover that their hair was being damaged from chairs and are able to grow much longer if they are careful to avoid letting their ends get damaged.) good luck

flickm
June 8th, 2015, 12:15 AM
If you were able to grow your hair to around midback without doing anything special for it then I imagine you can get to at least waist if not longer if you wear it up, use hair friendly products and techniques, and just generally baby it. (A lot of people who have trouble growing past bsl or midback discover that their hair was being damaged from chairs and are able to grow much longer if they are careful to avoid letting their ends get damaged.) good luck

Ah, thank you. Wearing it up is a sticking point for me. I love it down - to me, growing it long then wearing it restrained is like keeping your jewellery in the bank and never wearing it. But I do take on board your point about damage. I'm actually pretty careful to keep my hair out of the way of straps, chair backs etc (i remember having my hair yanked at the roots by someone careless behind me on a bus, levering themselves into their seat). I will be more careful still. Used to be careless with brushing, putting it up in bands etc., not to mention carrying small children. who would have known that taking to henna again would lead to searching these boards for advice, then seeing people revere and nurture their hair, treating it, as one person put it, like antique lace.

Rosetta
June 8th, 2015, 01:11 AM
I meant shampoo bars!!!
Not SOAP bars!!!

Actually, many people make no difference between the two, they just call both "soap" or soap bars, and say it's bad for hair... :?

I've been using shampoo bars (rotating with other methods) for a while now, and my jury's still out ;) But I love how environmentally friendly they are!

Rapunzel_to_be
June 8th, 2015, 06:39 AM
I'm currently going through the same thing as you, I cut some layers that I really regret, and I want to speed up the hair growth as much as possible. In addition to eating healthy, drinking enough water, and exercising, plus having a good hair care routine, oiling etc, I remembered that last year I kept my hair either up in a bun or in a braid all summer long, and when I went back to school everyone was asking what I had done to make my hair grow so much! So I decided (yesterday) to do the same again. Maybe this is something you could try as well ? Just remember to moisture your ends, I use the Rinse out oil method posted by Lapushka, but I noticed when I had my hair in a bun it would still give me crispy ends, so now I'm also applying Shea butter to the ends before bunning, a great tip I got from ChloeDharma, Im sure you can moisture your ends with other oils/butters as well though :)

Luminaria
June 8th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Most of getting hair to grow is simply staying out of its way, of course. Be gentle when you comb, protect your end from friction, getting caught under straps, getting leaned against, etc. Sleep enough, eat well, exercise reasonably, be less stressed out than you probably are. Keep your scalp happy (some people need to keep it super clean, some need it moisturized or oiled, whatever keeps yours from being grumpy). ETA: Also, don't cut off hair that doesn't need cut. I'm not saying yours didn't, but the recommended trims every 6-8 weeks are really counter-productive unless you truly only get the tiniest bit taken off. Most stylists cut to maintain a style by reducing your length back to where it was. Few are practiced at removing worn ends without substantially shortening hair.

If you're looking for more, there's an "inversion challenge" that's been popular lately that involves massaging your scalp for a few minutes, then lowering you head. Reportedly, this increases growth for some people if some for one week, then taking 3 weeks off.

Another one that works for some people, of all crazy things, is miconazole nitrate (Monistat in the USA) applied to the scalp once or twice a week. Do some reading on that one. Some people find it increases their shedding, so don't persist at that if it doesn't work.

》I was going to mention the inversion method, too. Many years ago, I used a modified version of the inversion method. I'd massage my scalp while lowering my head down everyday. I didn't use oil. At the time, I didn't know about the rules of the inversion method, but my method seemed to work well.
》I've also heard of massaging castor oil or almond oil into the scalp for hair growth, but I've never tried it.
》Eating protein helps with hair growth. When I ate eggs and/or peanut butter, my hair seemed grow well.

flickm
June 8th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks all, keep it coming. Am learning such a lot on these forums. Does anyone have any opinions on rosehip seed oil for hair ends. I've been mixing it with peppermint EO for my ends. I use it on my skin anyway, and it has the advantage of moisturising without being too oily. anything else like olive oil, coconut oil etc just stays around looking greasy on me.

Panth
June 8th, 2015, 08:50 AM

I meant shampoo bars!!!
Not SOAP bars!!!

Actually, many people make no difference between the two, they just call both "soap" or soap bars, and say it's bad for hair... :?

I've been using shampoo bars (rotating with other methods) for a while now, and my jury's still out ;) But I love how environmentally friendly they are!

Shampoo bars are soaps, or at least the majority are. That means they (like all soaps) are alkaline, which has the potential to both chemically damage the hair over time and to disrupt the pH of the scalp's acid mantle. They also, like a regular soap, would need to be followed with an acidic rinse to prevent the combination of soap scum and limescale from dulling hair over time. See here for a list of shampoo and cleanser pHs (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/02/ph-of-shampoo-ultimate-list.html). The notable exception is Lush shampoo bars which all (as far as I'm aware) contain SLS/SLES - better for hair, perhaps, as they are more likely to be the acidic pH (~pH 4-5) that the scalp is naturally at but if you're avoiding sulphates or choosing them so you can use wash in rivers/streams/lakes then, yeah, not a good choice.

M-L-E
June 8th, 2015, 10:59 AM
My sympathies: totally in the same position! My hair was the longest it had been ever- just below BSL- and it has been cut to above BSL. Doesn't sound like much, only 1.5-2inches, but I've had to maintain it in the same place for months as I am slowly removing bleach damage, so I feel like it has all been for nothing. I know it needed it... Just have to keep reminding myself that healthy hair is better than rough ragged split ends! Seconding inversion method, it worked for me the first time but i've tried it since and it hasn't worked again. The greenhouse method worked amazingly for me too. Wrapping hair in clingfilm/bonnet/scarf overnight, to make your head nice and warm. I'll start doing that again next week so will post any results on the hair experiments thread... Anything that increases blood flow I guess, caffeine rinses perhaps and stimulating EO's.

Rosetta
June 8th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Shampoo bars are soaps, or at least the majority are. That means they (like all soaps) are alkaline, which has the potential to both chemically damage the hair over time and to disrupt the pH of the scalp's acid mantle. They also, like a regular soap, would need to be followed with an acidic rinse to prevent the combination of soap scum and limescale from dulling hair over time. See here for a list of shampoo and cleanser pHs (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/02/ph-of-shampoo-ultimate-list.html). The notable exception is Lush shampoo bars which all (as far as I'm aware) contain SLS/SLES - better for hair, perhaps, as they are more likely to be the acidic pH (~pH 4-5) that the scalp is naturally at but if you're avoiding sulphates or choosing them so you can use wash in rivers/streams/lakes then, yeah, not a good choice.
Yah, I've seen people go on about this alkaline/pH stuff, but haven't yet had anyone come up with any proper scientific evidence about that being damaging, hope someone would...! After all, commercial pH balanced shampoo was only invented in the 20th century, before that people washed their hair with soap, so one woud have to assume everyone had damaged hair and scalp then..?

(Sorry for OT, but as this matter came up here...)

flickm
June 8th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Thanks Rapunzel_to_be and M-L-E for sharing/commiserating. Mine is well on he way to APL now, but I keep thinking how long it would be if I hadn't had it chopped. BUT . . . It was damaged at the ends, so did need it. I think my hair probably grows quite fast really. In the past, I've let it do its own thing, getting it trimmed back when it's got straggly. Now I've decided to get it longer than it's ever been, I'm impatient. I went through a stressful period a while back too, so it's thinner than it was a few years ago, so realistically I have to let all the new little sprouts grown long before it looks as thick and abundant as it did.

Theobroma
June 9th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Yah, I've seen people go on about this alkaline/pH stuff, but haven't yet had anyone come up with any proper scientific evidence about that being damaging, hope someone would...! After all, commercial pH balanced shampoo was only invented in the 20th century, before that people washed their hair with soap, so one woud have to assume everyone had damaged hair and scalp then..?

It comes up regularly when shampoo bars are mentioned. On the face of it it sounds logical, too, but it doesn't stack up that way in practice. I've been washing my hair with regular soap (the same that I use on the rest of me) for two years now. In that time I've reached classic length and I can't detect the barest vestige of damage from the high pH. I barely have a split end to my name and my hair is shiny and soft even without using conditioner. In contrast, every shampoo I ever tried, even SLeS-free ones, dry my hair out badly enough that it feels like straw no matter how much conditioner I use.

Sorry to continue the derail, but since I have two years of personal experience to bear out the gentleness of soap on long hair, I think it's a relevant answer to the question of possible things to do to keep new hair growth healthy, even if it won't actually accelerate the speed at which your follicles are pushing it out. :)

Wusel
June 9th, 2015, 03:10 AM

I started using the J.R. Ligget's peppermint shampoo bar 11 weeks ago and in that time my hair grew 4,3cm. Which means, it speeded up it's growth to 1,55cm per month. And my scalp stopped being itchy and sensitive. Many people swear by J.R. Liggett's. I have no experience with other shampoo bars but this one is on my HG list.

Panth
June 9th, 2015, 03:19 AM

The pH causing damage thing is simple biochemistry - hair is made of proteins, we know that alkalis can damage the structure of proteins. I agree, whether the pH and concentration of a soap, plus the frequency of its use is sufficient to cause noticeable damage to hair is an unknown (and very YMMV, I suspect) - hence I wrote "has the potential to both chemically damage the hair over time and to disrupt the pH of the scalp's acid mantle". Potential, not guarantee.

Re. historical useage, I think that's difficult to tell. Firstly, we know that they washed the hair less frequently than we do - once a week is generally the maximum advised/presumed in, e.g. Victorian/Edwardian haircare manuals. Secondly, we know that at least in the case of Victorian/Edwardians, they did not only wash with soap - there are extant recipies for herbal rinses and other concoctions. Thirdly, again for Victorian/Edwardians, we know that they used a lot of pomade, which could potentially protect the hair by acting similarly to a deep-treatment oiling. Fourthly, we know that Victorian/Edwardian (and earlier) ladies made extensive use of false hair, rats, etc. so it's hard to tell from the pictures whether they actually had healthy, thick, luscious hair or not. I'd also be wary of assuming that because a previous method worked, that it's pointless to use newer methods that might work better.

(That all said - if shampoo bars work for you, great. Keep using them. My only big problem with your and Wusel's comments was the assertion that shampoo bars are not soap, which is false and leads people to assume that they work differently to soap or don't have the drawbacks (e.g. pH) that soap has.)

Rosetta
June 9th, 2015, 08:41 AM
It comes up regularly when shampoo bars are mentioned. On the face of it it sounds logical, too, but it doesn't stack up that way in practice. I've been washing my hair with regular soap (the same that I use on the rest of me) for two years now. In that time I've reached classic length and I can't detect the barest vestige of damage from the high pH. I barely have a split end to my name and my hair is shiny and soft even without using conditioner. In contrast, every shampoo I ever tried, even SLeS-free ones, dry my hair out badly enough that it feels like straw no matter how much conditioner I use.

Sorry to continue the derail, but since I have two years of personal experience to bear out the gentleness of soap on long hair, I think it's a relevant answer to the question of possible things to do to keep new hair growth healthy, even if it won't actually accelerate the speed at which your follicles are pushing it out. :)

I started using the J.R. Ligget's peppermint shampoo bar 11 weeks ago and in that time my hair grew 4,3cm. Which means, it speeded up it's growth to 1,55cm per month. And my scalp stopped being itchy and sensitive. Many people swear by J.R. Liggett's. I have no experience with other shampoo bars but this one is on my HG list.
Great to hear of your experiences, Theobroma and Wusel - it's so much better to hear of personal (and positive) experience than just hearsay about "potential damage" etc.! :)

(And let's hope Flickm doesn't mind the derail...!)

(That all said - if shampoo bars work for you, great. Keep using them. My only big problem with your and Wusel's comments was the assertion that shampoo bars are not soap, which is false and leads people to assume that they work differently to soap or don't have the drawbacks (e.g. pH) that soap has.)
I never asserted in my comment that shampoo bars are not soap, I actually said many people consider them the same... There are (usually) some differences in formulation though, e.g. shampoo bars usually contain a higher percentage of castor oil than 'normal' soap.

flickm
June 9th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Not at all Rosetta x

flickm
June 9th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Not at all Rosetta x