PDA

View Full Version : I'm wondering if I need to start combing again

intothemist1999
October 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I only finger comb. However, I notice I leave hairs here and there and it just AIN'T no fun to find them in food or getting smeared around the countertop when I wipe it down. I don't shed alot, I don't think, but getting a hair of that length going down the ole gullet is just not nice. *I* can live with it, but I don't want it happening to visitors!! :D

At work I wear a pony, so I think I'm safe. I don't often finger comb, but if I were to and I left any behind I'd be the guilty culprit. One other staff member has quite long hair, also ponied, but it's not as long as mine.

Would combing help get rid of the loose ones? If it's all about shed, I guess it wouldn't make a difference if I use a comb/brush or not? I don't really want to stop finger-combing only, but might have to?

spidermom
October 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Since your main concern appears to be getting shed hair in food, why not tie your hair back and check your clothes for shed hairs before you do kitchen things? That's what I do when I don't forget. We've had my hair show up in food a couple of times, once for me, once for DH. Not good.

Delila
October 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I always wear my hair up when I'm in the kitchen. Always. (Hard lesson, once learned, never again.)

I seem to have a habit of finger combing my hair thoroughly at least twice a day. First thing in the morning, I take down my nighttime braid and finger comb thoroughly. Then I finger comb some more as I'm preparing my hair for an updo or braid. When I take my hair down, I finger comb again.

Even if I've worn my hair in a braid that day, I've found I always seem to remove it at night, and rebraid just before bedtime.

All that finger combing adds up, and helps keep random shedding down to a minimum.

aisling
October 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Uhh, why don't you comb? According to your profile you have 1B hair, so you don't have any waves or curls to protect by not combing. I have 1B hair myself and I'd never give up combing, because I'd have tangles all over, I even use a fine toothed comb every now and then to get them all out. Combing definitely helps getting those shed hairs out as well, I now have them pretty much in one place and can gather them from the comb, instead of them being all over my house.

Periwinkle
October 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Uhh, why don't you comb? According to your profile you have 1B hair, so you don't have any waves or curls to protect by not combing. I have 1B hair myself and I'd never give up combing, because I'd have tangles all over, I even use a fine toothed comb every now and then to get them all out. Combing definitely helps getting those shed hairs out as well, I now have them pretty much in one place and can gather them from the comb, instead of them being all over my house.

I don't know about the author's reasons, but my hair feels much lighter when I don't comb it and it's also much easier for me to achieve certain styles. I also feel like it needs washing less - and if you don't need to comb, why bother?

OP - presumably, you don't comb for a reason, though it may help to remove sheds. However, couldn't you try putting it up (or braided) instead of just a pony? That way, the shed hairs will stay there and won't fall out until you take it down.

Euphony
October 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I finger comb occasionally, but have found it's pretty difficult to do, I think it's my thickness. It takes forever and just doesn't work well enough. I know your hair is pretty thick too so that might be part of the problem. When I comb I'm able to comb more thoroughly and get out any fuzzies lurking about. I also notice in using my wooden brush I get much more shed hairs out then I do even with combing. So I've gotten to where I brush about every 3 days or so.

Silver & Gold
October 4th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I think I would scritch each morning or night and comb through the hair to remove loose hairs and then always wear your hair back when working in the kitchen.
My hair isn't very long but it falls in my face if I try to do anything in the kitchen unless I have it back, plus, it scares me leaning over a stove or into the oven when I can feel the heat on my face and my hair is hanging down. I once had an ugly encounter with a flame and the fringe around my face when I was a girl, so even when I'm not concerned about my hair getting in the food I'm scared of smelling burning hair and seeing the little burnt remains of what used to be my fringe.

lapushka
October 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'd absolutely comb. I'm 2a and I comb (only when it's wet, and before rinsing). That's how I get all the shed hairs out.

Xi
October 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
In my experience, stray shed hairs always manage to float around in inconvenient places, whether you comb or not.:shrug: Inspecting clothing and all work surfaces before cooking is what works for me.

Honey39
October 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
yeah, I know what you mean. I only comb my hair when it's wet, which has helped. BUT I am finding that I'm shedding on my coats and things, lol. I guess pin it up when you're cooking and stuff.