PDA

View Full Version : Given WEN as a present, scared due to bad press, should I use it?

Rhoward
June 7th, 2015, 12:06 AM
My lovely mother gave me a WEN kit as a present (pomegranate fragrance). I know it's expensive so I don't want to seem ungrateful. I looked online for some reviews and now I'm confused and slightly terrified (of shampoo!). Apparently Chaz Dean (the creator/owner) is being sued by a bunch of women who claim that the product made their hair fall out - seriously fall out! Some reviews say that the high levels of silicone in the product make your hair fall out. I use and love pantene so I'm not afraid of cones.

I did also see a lot of really positive reviews online saying it saved peoples hair etc etc It seems you either love it or you hate it. It does smell amazing.

In all honesty I don't know if I can believe conditioner can make your hair fall out but I guess anything is possible.

Advise?? Have any of you tried this product? What would you do?? Kinda wish I'd got an iTunes gift voucher!:confused:

DweamGoiL
June 7th, 2015, 01:05 AM
For a lot of peope, conditioner on the scalp encourages increased shedding.

Rhoward
June 7th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Interesting I didn't know that. I do CO a couple of times a week in between washing and have no bad side effects from that. Here's the ingredients for all the scientists out there if you can see anything you don't like let me know!

Ingredients: Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Pomegranate Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Sweet Almond Oil, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Menthol, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate-60, Fragrance, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Citric Acid.

Wusel
June 7th, 2015, 02:49 AM
I've read many reviews on the Sephora website and there are more good ones than bad ones. I think I'd give it a try... It's really expensive... Just don't put the conditioner on your scalp. As for me, I can't do it too. Last week I've tried the RAHUA conditioner all over my hair, also on my scalp, and I had a HUGE shed when washing it out. I never do this again.

lapushka
June 7th, 2015, 04:48 AM
You can only see for yourself, right? :) If you don't experience increased shedding from CO, then I'd say you're good to go. WEN is just an expensive version of CO. That's all.

Nique1202
June 7th, 2015, 05:55 AM
If all else fails, just use it as a conditioner and not as a cleaning agent.

cat11
June 7th, 2015, 06:18 AM
You can only see for yourself, right? :) If you don't experience increased shedding from CO, then I'd say you're good to go. WEN is just an expensive version of CO. That's all.

This. I used a knock off of Wen (salon fx) and it worked great as my intro to CO. If you can co wash with regular conditioner or other co wash products that are more cleansing then I'd try Wen

lapushka
June 7th, 2015, 07:18 AM
If all else fails, just use it as a conditioner and not as a cleaning agent.

Good idea! :) If you can't have it touch your scalp, it won't do bad things in the lengths at least!

endlessly
June 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Since you received it as a gift, I would recommend trying it at least, but like a few have said, if it doesn't end up cleaning your hair, then it doesn't hurt to just use it on the length as a conditioner.

I've personally never used Wen just because of the mixed reviews, the fear it would cause my hair to fall out, and the price. I could never justify spending that much money on what is essentially a conditioner that I would have to use 30-40 pumps for my hair length because quite frankly, I'd go through it in 2-3 washes if I was using the recommended amount and that's just not in my budget. Also, since I've gone silicone-free, my scalp is much happier and since Wen is so loaded with silicones, it would just cause residue build-up for me.

I've had a few friends in the past try Wen through Sephora because they have a pretty generous return policy and that actually turned out to be quite the godsend since no one kept it longer than one week! Their complaints were familiar ones I've read: residue buildup, made hair oily faster, increased shedding and tangling, and increased dandruff.

But, like I said above, give it a try and see what you think. It didn't cost you any money, so if you don't like it there are many ways to re-purpose it so you can at least use it up.

Clarkie
June 7th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Some people love it, some people hate it. I can only share my experience with you. I bought it last year and I do like it but I find it quite thick and heavy and I don't use it on a regular basis.
I CO wash every 5 to 7 days. I use the WEN every 3rd or 4th wash if I feel like my ends are getting a little dry/tangly. Sometimes I will CO wash with my Tresemme Naturals and use a bit of WEN on the ends as a leave in.
I did notice some extra shedding when I used the WEN on my scalp. All in all not a bad product but I won't buy more when my supply runs out.

Rhoward
June 7th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Thank you all so much for all your input. I did it and I'm not bald so thats a plus! I do agree that it is just an expensive form of CO. and you need to use a TON of the stuff, and do it twice as well, and my hair is only just at BSL. That said it DID make my hair feel really nice, it was full and bouncy and shiny and even my husband loved the smell of my hair after. BUT I don't think it was $50 a bottle nice full and bouncy! I'll use it until it runs out but I'm not paying to replace it lol. I think I will just use it as a conditioner though, you feel really wasteful when you use it, its crazy how much they tell you to use, I could barely fit it all in my hair! Pantene and Tresseme work just fine for this girl on a budget!

hennalonghair
June 7th, 2015, 11:15 PM

Yep! I had major shedding. You'll just have to try it and see how you do

MINAKO
June 8th, 2015, 12:12 AM
My scalp loves conditioner, of course not all of them are doing a great job at cleansing and that probably has alot to do with theamount andtype of silicones it contains, but never did i shedmore than i would have anyways regarding the rather intense handlingon washday. Follicles dont just suddenly jump oit of their anagen stage because of some lubricant, thats most likely hair in its telogen stage. I dont see how this alone could be decribed as hairloss. But im not familar enough with WEN to know about all their ingredients. In any case, thats what i would look at, reviews can be misleading sometimes and people tend to het furious if something they pay money for doesnt live up to their expectations. Maybe the company upset the wrong bunch of clients not giving them Disney Princess hair and thats all there is to it.