PDA

View Full Version : Dawn dishsoap to Chelate?

Betazed
June 6th, 2015, 09:10 PM
(Note to mods: I'm not entirely sure what forum this belongs in so feel free to move it :o)

I found this on YT a few minutes ago:
http://youtu.be/dBN2OD3Qfvw

It's basically a tutorial on using Dawn dishsoap and lemon to "chelate".

Has anyone tried this? I know all the Dawn commercials show it being used to save ducklings from oil spills but I'm worried that's just advertising hype. Is it really as gentle as they claim?

spidermom
June 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM
I once had to use Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip Vaseline out of my hair (a Halloween look). I tried a number of other things, including a different dishwashing liquid, but Dawn is the only thing that worked. I don't remember having problems with my hair after that, but it was only about APL and I really didn't pay much attention to the condition in those days.

gthlvrmx
June 6th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I don't think the Dawn dishsoap will chelate, that's not what it is used for(at least I think it doesn't work for that). There has to be a specific ingredient in the product in order to chelate the hair. As for lemon, I am unsure of. I never used it but dishsoap and lemon combined sounds harsh to me. Very drying, you will need tons of moisture afterwards to keep the dryness away. A good SMT might make it feel better if you do try the Dawn/lemon thing out.

ETA: a little bit more on the dawn shampoo.

MINAKO
June 6th, 2015, 10:48 PM
I dont think i would dare to do that, but technically it could work. It most likely will strip 100% of any oil from hair and scalp and also work against minreal residue (as in keeping glassware from getting dull when it dries by itself). i dont even think you would need the lemon and in any case it should be used very dilluted i guess. Considering that a chelating shampoo doesnt cost much these days and last a long time i would rather stay on the safe side.

Betazed
June 6th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the input! I wouldn't ever put anything as harsh as dish soap on my hair. I don't put sulfates on it unless I'm clarifying and I only do that once every 3 months or so. And I'm allergic to lemon so this is definitely out for me. I'd have to rewatch it to be sure but I think the girl in the video says to do this once a week! Then again, she's a bleached blonde so I'm not sure her advice would be much appreciated here on LHC!

Wusel
June 7th, 2015, 04:27 AM
It scares me to death... I'd never, NEVER put dish soap on my hair...
And, to be honest, I don't like how the hair of the woman in the video looks like.
It's over processed with bleach and I'm sure it's not very healthy.
So, for someone who bathes her hair in bleach dish soap might feel very mild but not for me and my virgin hair.

emmadilemma
March 27th, 2016, 01:17 PM
(Note to mods: I'm not entirely sure what forum this belongs in so feel free to move it :o)

I found this on YT a few minutes ago:
http://youtu.be/dBN2OD3Qfvw

It's basically a tutorial on using Dawn dishsoap and lemon to "chelate".

Has anyone tried this? I know all the Dawn commercials show it being used to save ducklings from oil spills but I'm worried that's just advertising hype. Is it really as gentle as they claim?

Hope no one minds me bringing this back, but the girl in the video IS a professional hairdresser, and before I found LHC i did do this, and it didn't dry my hair out - personally. it just made it really, really clean. Basically wiped any residue off. I'm going to do it again tonight as I've put off chelating because I'm lazy but my hairs really stringy and gross at the moment so here goes. I might put a before and after photo in later if anyone wants it. just in case anyones thinking about trying it. :)

parkmikii
March 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Hope no one minds me bringing this back, but the girl in the video IS a professional hairdresser, and before I found LHC i did do this, and it didn't dry my hair out - personally. it just made it really, really clean. Basically wiped any residue off. I'm going to do it again tonight as I've put off chelating because I'm lazy but my hairs really stringy and gross at the moment so here goes. I might put a before and after photo in later if anyone wants it. just in case anyones thinking about trying it. :)

:popcorn: ..

Frankenstein
March 27th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Not sure about chelating but I've washed my hair with Dawn dish soap in the past when I was trying to fade color. It is harsh but it cut through a week's worth of greasy roots very well. I stick to normal shampoo these days.

Obsidian
March 27th, 2016, 02:51 PM
She says this is for chelating but all she talks about it it washing away oils and products, she never mentions washing away mineral build up. Makes me wonder if she knows the difference between clarifying and chelating?

I too have used dawn when trying to fade color, it definitely gets your hair clean and I don't remember it being drying. I wouldn't use the lemon juice though, if I needed something acid then I'd just use a ACV rinse.