PDA

View Full Version : Best oil for length/ends?

Spinder
June 5th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I have heard castor oil is great for your scalp, but not so much for your length and ends though I'm not sure why. What oils are better suited for that?

I tried coconut oil but it didn't work so well, made my head itch and my hair really dull and icky looking.

I tried taking the progestin only contraceptive pill to help curb one problem, and it only created another by making my hair fall out and look really dull, as well as my scalp very scaly and itchy... so, I've stopped taking it entirely, and am trying to fix its nasty effects. :(

lfbddjw
June 5th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Personally, I use argan oil mixed with a bit of lavender EO and it works well for me! Sometimes I'll add in other EOs if I feel like it.

MINAKO
June 5th, 2015, 10:06 PM
My all time favorite will probably always be sesame oil, then avocado, then argan and macadamia ranking at the same. Sweet almond is ok, coconut gives great shine but not so much softness and managabilty. I also like hempseed and flax seed for a change but those i buy the least often.

ositarosita
June 5th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Personally I use a castor oil mix for my lengths then the day before I wash I do a heavy oiling (scalp to ends)

Shepherdess
June 5th, 2015, 10:57 PM
I often use an olive oil and aloe vera mixture that I make. I am starting to use apricot seed oil and sesame seed oil now more too on my ends and I love how light they are and not as heavy as some oils ( I originally got it for skin care, but it works great for both skin and hair).

lfbddjw
June 5th, 2015, 11:56 PM
I've never tried sesame seed oil on my hair... Can you just use the cooking kind? Like Kadoya?

rhosyn_du
June 6th, 2015, 01:47 AM
My favorite is camellia, and I also really like sunflower. For my ends, I like a combination of shea and coconut. The oils that work best on the length and ends of the hair really vary from person to person, though.

meisha~
June 6th, 2015, 02:37 AM
I use a little mixture of EVOO, a few drops of rosemary, and some avocado oil for the length and ends of my hair, and usually use coconut for my scalp. ;)

kittenface
June 6th, 2015, 03:16 AM
I really like almond oil, I guess it's different for everyone so you just have to try and see!

catasa
June 6th, 2015, 05:09 AM
As mentioned, it is different for each person so you will have to test for yourself to find what works for you. For me pure mineral oil/baby oil/liquid paraffin has definitely been the best, I use it as a sealant on streaming wet lengths after each wash (though most people use it on damp rather than wet lengths I think). My hair didnīt like coconut oil, too heavy and coating as I remember it, plus it made me break out (and I also donīt like the smell :) ). Olive oil wasnīt good for me either, my hair got kind of poofy and strange-feeling. Note than mineral oil isnīt nourishing in itself as far as I know, it doesnīt penetrate the hair, but simply seals in moisture and adds some slippage (I have heard it mentioned as a great help with tangles).

Good luck in finding something! :blossom:

Anje
June 6th, 2015, 07:45 AM
I've never tried sesame seed oil on my hair... Can you just use the cooking kind? Like Kadoya?

I don't know your brand, but I've liked sesame oil too, and always use normal cooking varieties of the oils I get. The light colored, mild smelling sesame is what I recommend to people, but the dark one that is made with roasted sesame seeds and is used for flavoring works fine. You just smell kinda strongly till the smell wears off. :D

I also like olive oil for the softness it gives, but it's really easy to overdo and end up with stringy hair. More so than other oils, at least for me.

lapushka
June 6th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Mineral oil, a few drops in the LOC method, and 10 drops in the Rinse-out oil method (links in my signature). I also like sweet almond, jojoba, macadamia oil, and EVOO. Try mixing the castor oil with a lighter oil.

akuamoonmaui
June 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Kukui nut worked well for me. It's sold as for skin care, too.

lunalocks
June 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I have tried just about every kind of oil and it is still generic baby oil that works best for me. A few drops on damp hair ends after washing and a few drops on ends and length before bunning at night. Cuts down on splits too.