PDA

View Full Version : Your Summer Haircare!

Winter Fox
June 5th, 2015, 06:14 AM
I hope it is ok to start a thread on this topic - at least I havn't found a recent one :)

As the title suggests I want to know about your summer routine / haircare.
Now that temperatures are getting high I thought about what my hair might need and what changes in my routine I will be making.
For me summer means that I will be using creams as leave-in a lot more! I feel that in winter my hair doesn't need extra creaming (besides LOC which I am doing after every wash) but I'm definitely be using up the creams I have neglected during the winter period.
Furthermore I have bought aloe vera gel which I will be using as an in-between leave-in for extra moisture!

So how about you? Any changes or additions to your haircare during summer?

lapushka
June 5th, 2015, 06:17 AM
My routine is the same year round. No changes according to seasons - none. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
June 5th, 2015, 06:57 AM
My routine is the same year round. No changes according to seasons - none. :)

The same for me too - I like to keep it simple.

Hurven
June 5th, 2015, 07:10 AM
My routine doesn't really change, except that I tend to wear my hair up more often in the summer. :)

pili
June 5th, 2015, 07:18 AM
No changes here because I moved from FL to CA, so my usual hot/humid summer (and spring and fall) routine is out for good. LCO for the win.

Arctic
June 5th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Mine doesn't change either. Maybe more damp bunning and less blowdrying, and washing in cooler water (if the weather is warm/hot). I also should buy a nice summer hat.

Winter Fox
June 5th, 2015, 11:30 AM
My routine doesn't really change, except that I tend to wear my hair up more often in the summer.

Yes definitely! :D

Mine doesn't change either. Maybe more damp bunning and less blowdrying, and washing in cooler water (if the weather is warm/hot). I also should buy a nice summer hat.

I actually thought about that too - but then it will be difficult to find a hat where one can wear a bun underneath!

Nique1202
June 5th, 2015, 12:13 PM
The only things that really change for me in the summer are that I wash my hair more often and it dries faster if I go for a walk while it's wet and loose and I let the breeze catch it. The humidity is a little higher maybe, but not by enough to make a difference in what products I use.

kidari
June 5th, 2015, 01:40 PM

I love the idea of a summer hat. Beanies and similar for winter and big floppy ones for the summer. :eyebrows:

endlessly
June 5th, 2015, 04:12 PM
My haircare routine tends to change from day-to-day depending on how my hair feels. I've been using products from Lush for well over one year now, so that's the only brand I've been using, but they have so many different products to choose from, so I can easily switch between several different options if my hair needs it. Where I live, summer can be hot and dry or hot and humid - and again, it tends to change daily. Most of the time, I'm just trying to keep my hair as moisturized as possible, so I do a lot of masks, deep conditioning treatments, and primarily keep it pinned up and protected to prevent it from becoming too dry. In the humidity, it's the exact opposite. This is going to be my first summer not washing my hair every day and honestly, I'm not really sure how it's going to go, but I'm willing to give it a try. I have a feeling I'm going to be going through a lot of dry shampoo!

iYaap
June 5th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Maybe I will try an oil with LPF factor on hot days.

Winter Fox
June 5th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I read somewhere that coconut oil has a natural LPF (I have no scientific source for this though) :)

iYaap
June 5th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I read somewhere that coconut oil has a natural LPF (I have no scientific source for this though) :)

This would be great!

MINAKO
June 5th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I guess the only thong that changes for me in the summer is that i use solid oils and butters more generously, in the winter i dont want them to harden on my hair. But thats about it really, my scalp doesnt demand special attemtion and my hair is up in a bun most of the times year round anyways.

Nique1202
June 5th, 2015, 06:07 PM

It's only an SPF of about 4, and that's probably accounting for a MUCH thicker application than you'd do on hair.

Also, the only experiment I've ever seen that tested hair SPF products showed that hair spf products might lighten hair even more than nothing at all (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.ca/2014/07/the-sun-protection-experiment-2-months.html). You're best off finding a style you can fit under a hat for the summer if you really don't want sun damage.

Winter Fox
June 5th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks nique1202!

I also did some research and found out that coconut oil is NOT a reliable sun protector. I'm very sorry for misleading you iYaap I didn't mean to spread false knowledge!

EdG
June 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM
My hair dries faster in the summer, so it can be washed without as much planning.
Ed

truepeacenik
June 5th, 2015, 06:56 PM
I rinse my scalp a couple more times a week, and usually give in and scalp wash.
I tend to condition the last six inches or so more in summer. Because, as Ed says, it dries faster, and therefore I can.

Betazed
June 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I use the same products year round but I tend to WO a lot more in the warmer weather because I hate sweat drying in my hair. I still only shampoo once a week so it doesn't make my hair get greasy too quickly. I also wear my hair up 99% of the time. This isn't so much "hair care" as benign neglect but I don't cut my side bangs after mid-spring so they're long enough to braid or otherwise tie up. I'll cut them again once autumn is in full swing. I hate sweaty hair stuck to my forehead!

*ReiKa*
June 5th, 2015, 09:30 PM
My routine doesn't change on summer, apart from when I go to the beach. I like to dampen my hair before going and apply shea butter and coconut oil, then I'll braid it.
If it's a very hot day and I plan to stay out for hours I may also dampen the ends and apply some shea butter.
I also take advantage of the heat and leave my hair packs for longer in the sun!

lfbddjw
June 5th, 2015, 10:04 PM
My routine doesn't change (I live where it's summer all year long) but when I go swimming I always soak my hair and put in some leave in treatment, whether I'm at the pool or the beach.

Platzhalter
June 6th, 2015, 05:27 PM
There's no big difference between summer and winter for me when it comes to hair care. I wash more often during spring and early summer, but that's because of my hay fever.

RainbowBowser
June 7th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I'm more inclined to use cones in the winter since I'm in Canada, the cold is more brutal and drying than the summer (or at least where I am). In the summer, save for chlorine/salt pools, no cones! They just tangle my hair for the most part, otherwise nothing changes.

Alex Lou
June 7th, 2015, 01:26 AM
I don't do anything special for my hair when it gets hot, but it can do something for me. I put it up in a bun while it's wet when the weather's too hot for me and it stays wet, acting like a personal AC.