PDA

View Full Version : IF you have WAVY or Curly hair!!

M.McDonough
June 5th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Hello everyone!
let's get to it
If you are wavy or curly, I'm sure that most of you don't comb their hair. But how do you deal with it?
cuz it makes me angry sometimes when I look on my shoulders, especially when I'm wearing a white shirt, it's obvious hairs are all over the place it's crazy!!!. Sometimes I don't even stroke my hair being afraid not to pluck out any hair. I'm sure that's not the case if you have straight hair because any hair that falls out ends up in the comb or the brush, simply cuz you can comb or brush straight hair. However, we (wavy or curly) can't comb or brush our hair to stop that, so we find hair everywhere sometimes.
So what do you do?

hennalonghair
June 5th, 2015, 12:24 AM
What? Wavy curlies can't comb or brush.
Well nobody ever told me that:rant:

Shepherdess
June 5th, 2015, 12:30 AM
I have 3a curls, so my hair can be fairly curly; it is also currently classic length. I have found that using natural oils in my hair and keeping it braided or in a bun keeps it easy to comb and manage. When I leave it out and let it curl, at the end of the day it can have a lot of knots in it, but I will usually apply some oil so that it doesn't stick together and the knots usually comb out much better then in the untangling process. :) I use a wooden comb and a boar bristle brush actually, though I have heard that many people with curly hair use a tangle teezer, similar to this: http://cdn1.feelunique.com/img/products/40411/Tangle_Teezer_Original_Professional_Detangling_Hai rbrush___Blue__amp__Pink_1365776917.png
I bought a similar one, though I rarely use it now since I think that it may have caused some breakage in my hair, but if you have very difficult snarls in your hair, a tangle teezer will definitely make it much easier to take care of and it doesn't hurt. :)

KathrinP
June 5th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Um, I definitely have wavy hair and I brush? I didn't know we couldn't. I just use - depending on what I am doing - a comb with wide teeth or a brush (very, very carefully, although my hair is incredibly sturdy).
And regarding what Shepherdess said, I also have a Tangle Teezer (the travel size with the "cap") for on the go, because when it is windy my hair is a mess and I could not wait until I'm back home to detangle.

M.McDonough
June 5th, 2015, 01:03 AM
What? Wavy curlies can't comb or brush.
Well nobody ever told me that:rant:

Calm down :) Some people don't because simply if they do brush or comb their hair, it'll poof up, if that's how you describe it

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gujXSWLdk

Sarahlabyrinth
June 5th, 2015, 01:19 AM
Hello everyone!
let's get to it
If you are wavy or curly, I'm sure that most of you don't comb their hair. But how do you deal with it?
cuz it makes me angry sometimes when I look on my shoulders, especially when I'm wearing a white shirt, it's obvious hairs are all over the place it's crazy!!!. Sometimes I don't even stroke my hair being afraid not to pluck out any hair. I'm sure that's not the case if you have straight hair because any hair that falls out ends up in the comb or the brush, simply cuz you can comb or brush straight hair. However, we (wavy or curly) can't comb or brush our hair to stop that, so we find hair everywhere sometimes.
So what do you do?

Well, I comb mine. And brush it. And then put it up in a bun, so that it has no choice but to behave... Simple.

It doesn't mean I don't lose hairs, of course, but whatever ends up on the carpet just gets vacuumed up by my ever hungry little Roomba.

And in fine weather I comb and detangle outside.

Alex Lou
June 5th, 2015, 01:24 AM
Brush your hair before you wash it, even brush while wet or in the shower. Scrub your scalp real well while washing and you should knock loose those hairs that are about to shed. And then you shouldn't see much shedding in the course of the day?

I brush my hair. Us wavies get to pick if we brush or don't brush. I still see the most shedding in the shower when I wash.

lapushka
June 5th, 2015, 02:22 AM
My hair only gets detangled (combed/brushed) once a week, prior to a wash. Then hair gets washed, toweled, and once out of the towel, before styling it gets combed through with a wide-tooth comb *once* more. Then it is left alone to dry and is left alone (no comb/brush) for the entire week. Until it gets washed again. No "stroking" either. It all messes with your texture.

catasa
June 5th, 2015, 05:11 AM
I practically never comb or brush, I am lucky enough to have hair that is not tangle prone at all. But I carefully finger comb my lengths in the shower under running water, precisely for the reason of prying loose hairs out of the lengths. For the rest of the day/days between washes, yes, loose hairs turn up on my clothes/floors etc... If I am in a period with heavier shedding, I stroke my hands down my lengths when redoing a bun for instance and carefully draw away the loose hairs that are caught at the bottom.

Kelikea
June 5th, 2015, 05:46 AM
I have to comb or brush. My hair like to tie itself into knots and tangled masses. It can be very frustrating trying to let it dry only to find the underside completely matted up.

kitschy
June 5th, 2015, 05:56 AM
I only use a wide toothed comb while my hair is wet and saturated with conditioner. After a good scrubbing and a combing, I too stroke my loose hairs with my fingers and they end up at the bottom where I draw them away. When my hair is dry and curly, it doesn't release loose hairs because my hair is like velcro and snags them before they fall out - they come off during the next conditioner wash. The only place I see hair is in the bottom of my shower.

Nique1202
June 5th, 2015, 06:18 AM
I mostly can get away with fingercombing my hair throughout the week, but I also use a silicone-y conditioner, and a silicone-y serum, and I oil after all that, too. Also except for air drying it loose on wash day I wear my hair up mostly, either in a bun or a braid of some kind, so I only deal with it when it's going from one style to the next. It doesn't get much of a chance to tangle that way.

When I do wear it down, I like the Body Shop wooden comb for detangling because it's really good at finding my tangles, even though I still pick them apart by hand. The tines are wide enough that unless I rip through the tangles I don't feel like I'm damaging my hair at all and they don't interrupt my wave pattern too much.

momschicklets
June 5th, 2015, 06:19 AM
I never brush :shake: But I do comb carefully and sparingly so my waves stay intact from wash to wash. I do have problems with tangling, though, and it has gotten worse the longer is gets.

pili
June 5th, 2015, 07:30 AM
I wash only once a week and take wash day to carefully detangle my curls. The rest of the week I refresh them when needed for the first few days, pulling any loose hairs out from the bottom, and when I hit the point isn't the week where I start putting it up, I will smooth down the length and pull out loose hairs that way. But, yeah, I have a lot of hair, so it can just come out anywhere.

DweamGoiL
June 5th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I have wavy hair and I comb with a wide toothed comb and brush every other day or so.

Arctic
June 5th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Mine is so minimally wavy with almost straight canopy, that I can comb and brush as much as my heart desires (plus I often blowdry it even straighter). I also wash quite often, which minimizes the shedded hairs entangled at the lengths/ends.

Ambrielle
June 5th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I comb once or twice a day, i am not a huge fan of the uncombed waves look in my hair plus i have a lot of hair that seems to be prone to fairy knots when left uncombed.

endlessly
June 5th, 2015, 10:03 AM
My hair is very loosely wavy, but if I don't comb or brush it, then it will tangle like nobody's business and basically become a nightmare. I tend to use wide-toothed combs, though, to help prevent pulling hair out, but I'd be lost if I wasn't ever able to detangle it.

ravenheather
June 5th, 2015, 01:10 PM
So those of you that don't comb, you put hair up also without combing?

lapushka
June 5th, 2015, 01:13 PM

Yep, just grab & go! It's never given me problems or scalp cleavage, or anything. It just... works!

pili
June 5th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Depends on the style it is going into. If a pony, I will sprits it damp and use a bit of butter to smooth back the frizzes on my hairline and ends. If a bun or braid, I will sprits more and use the butter to help finger detangle, then it goes up in the style. But I usually leave it down the first three or four days after washing, then high ponytail, then bun/braid the last couple of days. When it is time to wash, I will finger detangle dry and then use a wood comb before putting in a hot oil treatment. This is a new routine for me, but it has been working extremely well. I used to never comb at all, but I also used to wet it daily. Now that I am stretching washes and changed to a LCO routine, I am shedding a lot less. Not rushing through the shower and having dedicated detangling time makes me much more conscious of being gentle on my hair.

catasa
June 5th, 2015, 01:28 PM

Yep :) I sometimes comb just my canopy slightly, to about top of the ears level, to reduce frizz there (since my canopy is straight rather than wavy/curly), but other than that no combing! I donīt comb before washing either.

Hairkay
June 5th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I keep mine in some plaits most of the time. That way I can undo each one using my fingers to detangle, smooth out each section, get out shed hairs then replait and move on to the next one. Most times I've got about 16 plaits. I like braiding and using my fingers to really feel what the state of my hair is like. I gave up on brushing, combs I reserve for emergencies. That occasionally happens like when a banana hair mask didn't work out.

hennalonghair
June 5th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Calm down :) Some people don't because simply if they do brush or comb their hair, it'll poof up, if that's how you describe it

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gujXSWLdk
No worries. I was kidding. I comb and brush everyday and always have.

MINAKO
June 5th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I use a comb every day and my brush on washdays to smooth my hair out and stimulate my scalp a bit. I couldnt get away with just fingercombing and actually hate the task of doing it, gives me goosebumps to have wet hair clinging all over my hands and between my fingers, sort of forming a web... nope, nope, nope.
I dampen my hair slightly, then take the comb and gently detangle it if needed. Or i just distribute my leave in and comb it in place.

HappyHair87
June 5th, 2015, 08:57 PM
I'm a 3c curly and I use my paddle brush in the shower in soaking wet hair that has been drenched in conditioner in sections.

I DEFINITELY have to do this bc my shed hairs can cause locing which I'm not going for locs at this moment. Lol :)

Dragon Faery
June 6th, 2015, 12:38 AM
When I first gave up my ball-tipped brush I had this problem too. It drove me crazy! But I can keep the sheds down somewhat if I oil and detangle my hair a LOT before washing and then detangle again for a long time while it's full of conditioner in the shower. I always get a huge handful of sheds before washing and another during. (And I almost always only comb with my fingers.) I definitely still get more sheds throughout the day, though. My hair really likes to shed. If you shed a lot and want to wear your hair down and curly every day, this is something you'll probably just have to get used to.

Though as you can see from a lot of the responses on this thread, we have all found different ways of dealing with our hair and our methods of choice work best for each of us.

My hair is getting too long to wear down comfortably (for my definition of comfortable, anyway), and I just didn't like thinking about avoiding damage all the time. So now I put my newly-washed hair up in a Lazy Wrap Bun and let it dry that way, and I end up with mostly straight or wavy hair that I can fingercomb at will until my next wash. When I dry it this way I don't have to be nearly as careful about tangles and breakage even if I do decide to wear it down.

ExpectoPatronum
June 6th, 2015, 07:35 AM
2c/3a wurly curly here, and I only detangle my hair when I wash it...which is 3x a week.

That said, I wear my hair down most of the time. No updos that require me smoothing my hair back with a brush. My wurls look better if I don't thoroughly detangle every day as it helps keeps clumps of waves together and prevents frizz (for me).

I do refresh my wurls every day with a spritzer bottle of water, and I'll scrunch in a little leave in and sometimes a dollop more gel if I need it. I may finger detangle lightly while my hair is wet, separating clumps of curls but that's it. After my hair is dry, I might take a pick to fluff it up. Again, no thorough detangling or brushing.

Maybe my tangles hold my sheds in place? I don't notice a problem with sheds being everywhere except for in the shower when I'm detangling. You should see the hair ball I have after that :)

ravenheather
June 6th, 2015, 08:09 AM
ExpectoPatronum I love your texture. Looks great.

pili
June 6th, 2015, 09:24 AM
One huge difference I have seen with my shedding, and this is very recent, is that when I switched to LCO with a natural line of products my sheds went way down and I started getting new growth. I used to use Tressume Naturals and Nature's Gate Herbal (old formula) and I shed in huge clumps doing daily CO washes. I used to think it was just because of age and stress and my hair was naturally thinning. It looked like I drowned a cat in my shower!

Now I don't shed nearly as much, only a quarter of what I used to shed daily. This is with only washing once a week! And I also now have a halo of six inch long hair all over, especially on the top of my head and the hairline. My scalp has always been sensitive to product, but I didn't realize the product were causing me to thin.

pili
June 6th, 2015, 09:25 AM
double post

M.McDonough
June 7th, 2015, 01:41 AM
One huge difference I have seen with my shedding, and this is very recent, is that when I switched to LCO with a natural line of products my sheds went way down and I started getting new growth. I used to use Tressume Naturals and Nature's Gate Herbal (old formula) and I shed in huge clumps doing daily CO washes. I used to think it was just because of age and stress and my hair was naturally thinning. It looked like I drowned a cat in my shower!

Now I don't shed nearly as much, only a quarter of what I used to shed daily. This is with only washing once a week! And I also now have a halo of six inch long hair all over, especially on the top of my head and the hairline. My scalp has always been sensitive to product, but I didn't realize the product were causing me to thin.

I know everything is full of chemicals :(

2c/3a wurly curly here, and I only detangle my hair when I wash it...which is 3x a week.

That said, I wear my hair down most of the time. No updos that require me smoothing my hair back with a brush. My wurls look better if I don't thoroughly detangle every day as it helps keeps clumps of waves together and prevents frizz (for me).

I do refresh my wurls every day with a spritzer bottle of water, and I'll scrunch in a little leave in and sometimes a dollop more gel if I need it. I may finger detangle lightly while my hair is wet, separating clumps of curls but that's it. After my hair is dry, I might take a pick to fluff it up. Again, no thorough detangling or brushing.

Maybe my tangles hold my sheds in place? I don't notice a problem with sheds being everywhere except for in the shower when I'm detangling. You should see the hair ball I have after that :)

Hey I thought I was the only one who does that !! lol

butter52
June 7th, 2015, 05:31 AM
I detangle when I wash and then let it be wild, with a bit of oil and gel to keep the frizz at bay and the curls pretty. In the mornings that I dont wash I will still scrunch some water at the tips so it clumps well and the curls get revamped a bit.

cat11
June 7th, 2015, 06:43 AM
you can totally comb and brush your hair

but combing (detangling) should be with a wide tooth comb and some slippery oil or detangler used, done gently, and not too often.

And brushing should only be done after the hair is 100% detangled.

My hair would be a matted mess if I never combed or brushed it..... and way too wild.

There's also finger combing for in between detangling or on its own.

Luminaria
June 8th, 2015, 07:20 AM
I just finger detangle my hair. It works on damp, wet, dry, and oiled hair. Once you get the hang of it, you don't really need combs or brushes. Ever since I've started finger detangling only, I've noticed less breakage and no split ends. Give it a try sometime.

YvetteVarie
June 9th, 2015, 08:08 AM
I mostly finger detangle. Otherwise I comb using a wide tooth comb once in a blue moon, when I haven't been keeping my hair stretched out.

mamaherrera
June 9th, 2015, 12:31 PM
I only finger detangle and only on wet hair. I hear too much breakage/snarls if I finger curl on dry hair. I will pass my hands over my whole hair (like when you smooth it for a ponytail) to get out loose hairs that are at the ends every time I bring my hair down. For anyone who knows, what is LCO mean for that line of hair products?? And were you using TRESemme on the scalp or just on ears below?? I use it too, but I assume that if it doesn't touch the scalp, it won't cause shedding. BTW, off the subject real quick. But is this a time of year to have more shedding?? MIne has gone up a bit, just a bit, but consistently and I was just curiuos!

pili
June 9th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I only finger detangle and only on wet hair. I hear too much breakage/snarls if I finger curl on dry hair. I will pass my hands over my whole hair (like when you smooth it for a ponytail) to get out loose hairs that are at the ends every time I bring my hair down. For anyone who knows, what is LCO mean for that line of hair products?? And were you using TRESemme on the scalp or just on ears below?? I use it too, but I assume that if it doesn't touch the scalp, it won't cause shedding. BTW, off the subject real quick. But is this a time of year to have more shedding?? MIne has gone up a bit, just a bit, but consistently and I was just curiuos!

Um…Was this for me? If so:

LCO = Liquid, Cream, Oil It is a variation of LOC (same products, different order)
I was using Tresumme for some CO-washing and as a leave in. Before joining here, I was never very careful about keeping leave-ins off my scalp, but tresumme stopped working before I joined here. There was some kind of product formula change a few years ago.

TrapperCreekD
June 9th, 2015, 01:37 PM
The don't brush/comb wavy and curly hair comes from the fact the most people (outside of LHC) wear their hair down and nobody wants to rock a frizz monster, plus doing it on dry hair can be damaging for tighter curlies. I don't brush anymore because I feel the brush I have breaks my hair and I don't like the major poof I get enough to want to invest in a better brush. I do comb, though, with a seamless plastic medium-wide tooth comb several times a week and detangle in the shower with conditioner.

lapushka
June 9th, 2015, 02:09 PM
LCO = Liquid, Cream, Oil It is a variation of LOC (same products, different order)

I also do LCO, but still call it "LOC" because it's just a variation on a method. If you want to know more, the link is in my signature. HTH :)

vpatt
June 9th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Um…Was this for me? If so:

I was using Tresumme for some CO-washing and as a leave in. Before joining here, I was never very careful about keeping leave-ins off my scalp, but tresumme stopped working before I joined here. There was some kind of product formula change a few years ago.

Pili, do you mind sharing the natural products you use?

pili
June 9th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Pili, do you mind sharing the natural products you use?

The brand is called Au Rebelle (http://www.anunaturals.com) (formally Anu Naturals)

Amber_Maiden
June 9th, 2015, 05:49 PM
I don't comb or brush my hair. I used to use a tangle teezer... but it wrecked my curls. I don't touch brushes or combs now, and follow the Curly Girl Method.

vpatt
June 9th, 2015, 07:03 PM
The brand is called Au Rebelle (http://www.anunaturals.com) (formally Anu Naturals)

Thank you!

pili
June 9th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Thank you!

You're welcome. :D

ositarosita
June 9th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I comb and brush mine, my hair is up everyday and I don't find hair everyday. I will usually leave day 1 hair down if I'm going somewhere, if not up it goes. If I leave my hair down I just leave my hair in 1 section and pull it threw my hands (not fingers) so by the time I get to my ends I can just remove my shed hair.

pili
June 9th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Lapushka I need to put the the link to your thread in my signature. :) Do you mind?

Dragon Faery
June 10th, 2015, 04:26 AM
The don't brush/comb wavy and curly hair comes from the fact the most people (outside of LHC) wear their hair down and nobody wants to rock a frizz monster, plus doing it on dry hair can be damaging for tighter curlies. I don't brush anymore because I feel the brush I have breaks my hair and I don't like the major poof I get enough to want to invest in a better brush. I do comb, though, with a seamless plastic medium-wide tooth comb several times a week and detangle in the shower with conditioner.

I've been thinking about this quite a lot lately, so thank you for saying it in actual words! I've been struggling for some time with the dichotomy between the full CG method and LHC wear-it-up-and-forget-about-it view. It's so much easier to wear it up, but ... my hair is very difficult to wear up while curly ... and I will never get to the lengths I want if I don't wear it up ... and I can't at my current length wear it down safely anyway without annoyance. At shorter lengths the CG method of scrunching worked really well for me, and it wasn't that big a deal to wash my hair every 3 days. But now it's a downright pain. Every time I put my hair up in a LWB while wet to loosen up the curls and waves, I feel like I'm betraying my own hairtype and maybe I really ought to be wearing it down and letting it get in everything and potentially catch fire or kidnap small children just for the sake of staying true to the Curly Girl method. But I don't need to feel that way at all, do I? I rocked the awesome curls from APL to BSL (and sometimes at MBL), and now I can in good conscience wear my hair up and not-exactly-curly as much as I like. (Does this post feel all rambly and drunk? Sorry ... I should have been asleep about 5 hours ago. Just wanted to thank you for stating this in a way that made sense to my silly rule-bound subconscious.) :couch:

pili
June 10th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I've been thinking about this quite a lot lately, so thank you for saying it in actual words! I've been struggling for some time with the dichotomy between the full CG method and LHC wear-it-up-and-forget-about-it view. It's so much easier to wear it up, but ... my hair is very difficult to wear up while curly ... and I will never get to the lengths I want if I don't wear it up ... and I can't at my current length wear it down safely anyway without annoyance. At shorter lengths the CG method of scrunching worked really well for me, and it wasn't that big a deal to wash my hair every 3 days. But now it's a downright pain. Every time I put my hair up in a LWB while wet to loosen up the curls and waves, I feel like I'm betraying my own hairtype and maybe I really ought to be wearing it down and letting it get in everything and potentially catch fire or kidnap small children just for the sake of staying true to the Curly Girl method. But I don't need to feel that way at all, do I? I rocked the awesome curls from APL to BSL (and sometimes at MBL), and now I can in good conscience wear my hair up and not-exactly-curly as much as I like. (Does this post feel all rambly and drunk? Sorry ... I should have been asleep about 5 hours ago. Just wanted to thank you for stating this in a way that made sense to my silly rule-bound subconscious.) :couch:

Excuse me…. :rollin: :agree:

lapushka
June 10th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Lapushka I need to put the the link to your thread in my signature. :) Do you mind?

Nope, don't mind at all! :D

Brunette_Barbie
June 12th, 2015, 06:54 PM
I hear a lot about using a BBB, but my hair is more suited to a comb...what should I use to promote growth/health?

teddygirl
June 12th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I usually finger comb on a daily ish basis, and do a good brush/comb before I wash. I dont like to brush if Im going to be wearing my hair (ie, not washing right away) because I really hate the frizzy look it gives. But I'm not opposed to brushing.