PDA

View Full Version : dry ends *

sekenax
June 4th, 2015, 07:32 AM
My ends are becoming very dry all of a sudden.. Want to use coconut oil but my hair went all fried over that befor? Is coconut oil a protein treatment or moustrisng treatment?! Any ideas for products would be helpful aswell??:) thanks

lapushka
June 4th, 2015, 07:38 AM
CO can keep protein in, if there is any to keep in. It enhances that. Possibly. Not everyone has the same "dry" results.

I'd try a different oil, there's plenty to be found in the kitchen such as EVOO.

truepeacenik
June 4th, 2015, 11:18 AM
All of a sudden? Could it be buildup?

And I second the olive oil recommendation. It doesn't have to be the good stuff, either. The cheap stuff will do.
I prefer it as a prewash, but use it after a lot.

Thoughtcriminal
June 4th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Put oil on your ends while they're wet. If you put it on dry hair it could possibly dry it out further.

Try a honey treatment, the sugar is a humectant and it'll help hold more moisture in your hair.

woolyleprechaun
June 4th, 2015, 12:33 PM
I'm finding the rinse out oil technique amazing for my dry ends. You basically wash your hair, put some oil on, rinse under the shower and condition and rinse as normal. It really locks in moisture for me, and I know its gaining a decent following!

lapushka
June 4th, 2015, 01:04 PM
FYI, the Rinse-out Oil method (ROO method, or ROOM) is linked in my signature.

akuamoonmaui
June 5th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I melt CO, mango butter and a little avocado oil together with an essential oil for scent.

Anje
June 5th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I do well with humectants treatments when my ends go crispy. So my suggestion is to clarify and then soak in conditioner or an smt for 30-40 minutes. Oiling for me is better to keep the ends nice when they are moisturized, so a couple drops of something extra-softening like olive oil might follow after that.

Ymmv, of course. But if oil has a history of making your ends crunchy, I don't think it's likely what your hair needs most.

Cowgirl16
June 6th, 2015, 09:04 AM
My hair has been suffering with dry ends lately as well. I just tried the ROOM method Lapushka has recommended. I mixed Africa's Best with my conditioner and put it on the last 12 inches or so of hair, I let it sit for a minute or so and then rinsed. My hair is drying now, wish me luck!

lapushka
June 6th, 2015, 09:54 AM
My hair has been suffering with dry ends lately as well. I just tried the ROOM method Lapushka has recommended. I mixed Africa's Best with my conditioner and put it on the last 12 inches or so of hair, I let it sit for a minute or so and then rinsed. My hair is drying now, wish me luck!

I hope it works for you! :)

Cowgirl16
June 9th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Checking in! I have actually washed my hair twice and used the ROOM both times. I was very generous with the oil and it didn't make my hair greasy. My tassle feels soft. I am going to add ACV back into my routine and continue with ROOM. Thank you Lapushka!

lapushka
June 10th, 2015, 01:55 PM
No worries. Glad it works! :)

gthlvrmx
June 10th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Coconut oil is not a protein treatment. If you have enough moisture on your hair, it can help retain that moisture. Many some baby oil or mineral oil might help :)

betterhairday
June 11th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I just add my leave in treatment of Pro Naturals Argan oil after shampoo & conditioning to the ends and halfway up the hair shaft prior to hair drying and styling. I find applying it to wet hair for me is the way. It is part of the hair repair regime that I follow.