PDA

View Full Version : A Huge Thank You

Galloway
June 2nd, 2015, 08:12 AM
I'm a noob to posting here but a long time lurker (not in a creeper kind of way) and I wanted to give a huge thank you to Nightblooming Garden and her ultra fabulous Strawberry Blonde Rusalki!!!!

Yesterday was the first time that I have ever hennaed my hair and I couldn't be more pleased with the results (even DH noticed which is huge). The mix was really easy to use, directions easy to follow, smelled like a combo of tea and grass. The only thing I wish I had done differently was to mix it with a bit more water as it was super thick. I used almost 100 grams on collarbone length hair and I missed some spots in the back because of thickness issues. So there is a learning curve, LOL. But I will be ordering a boat load of this and continue on my henna journey! I have officially given up the dye bottle! Yea Me!!!
A little background on my hair: I've been dying my hair since I was 12 (I'm 42 right now) it was the early 80's and bleached blonde hair was the thing, so I bought the lightest blonde box color I could find and gave it a try. I have what I call 'ish' hair, brownish, blondeish, and redish so when I hit it with the dye it turned to a lovely shade of strawberry blonde which I've kept up ever since. Fast forward to 2013 and I decided to go super red with Ion dark red blonde... yeah, that was a mistake. It turned purple red in my hair which is a bad thing since I don't have the skin tone to pull that color off. Long story short I had to bleach it out, dye it 6 different times within a week (lucky I didn't go bald) and chop it off into a inverted bob to get rid of all the damage. Anyhow, I'm regrowing and hopped in here for some info on natural products and to torture myself with everyones beautiful long hair. Stumbled into the henna forum and read and read and read. Decided that I didn't have enough skills/knowledge to mix my own henna/cassia concoction and found Nightbloomings premixes. I gave it a whirl and BAM!! Awesome results :) I can't post pictures here yet so I'm going to put them on my Instagram. If you want to drop on by and take a look I'm in there under Galloway1212.

Thank you all for the wonderful info on hair and products!

Nightshade
June 2nd, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'm really happy to read that it worked for you and you're off the chemical dye train :cheer:

two_wheels
June 2nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
Yep, Nightblooming/shade is da bomb :magic: Enjoy your dye-free journey!

Galloway
June 3rd, 2015, 07:20 AM
Thank you all so much! I can't wait to see where my hair journey leads to this time :)

hennalonghair
June 3rd, 2015, 07:25 AM
I smiled when I read this earlier. I wanted Nightshade to respond before I did.
This is wonderful news. Herbal hair colouring far surpasses chemical dyes.
It's like discovering a whole new world.
I have purchased Yemeni henna from Nightshade and I'm quite pleased with the quality and the stain potential this strain has.
It covers my grays (greys) quite nicely with 'one' application and the dye release time and wait time are minimum which I REALLY like. Since I henna my roots often this cuts back so much time.

Galloway
June 3rd, 2015, 07:36 AM
It's like discovering a whole new world.
Exactly!!! I am super excited (as if you all couldn't tell...) with the results :) I did get dye release within 2 hours but I left it on my head for 6. Mainly because my blonde hairs really don't absorb color all that well (again this was boxed color) I figured it would be that same with the henna so.... Turns out that the only parts that didn't 'henna up' were the one I missed LOL!! But I had a great day sitting around in my zebra striped shower cap and goofing around the house. Kind of like a hair spa day. LOL.