PDA

View Full Version : No trimming club!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

jel
March 8th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Calling all non-trimmers, old and new! If you're fed up with losing length to trims or cuts, join the club! Individual split ends snipping (search & destroy) doesn't count ;)

Post here how long you've not been trimming, and/or how long you want to abstain from it. What goals do you want to reach before you grab the scissors? Do you want to maintain or develop fairy tale ends? Have you joined the old club and then fell off the wagon during the 'dark ages' of LHC?

I haven't trimmed my hair since I found the (old) LHC and decided to grow my hair again. That's just over 2.5 years. I started from a layered, shoulder length cut, which gave me 'artificial' fairy tale ends as my hair grew to waist. My goal is tailbone, and I think I will not trim until then. I'm quite happy with the look and health of my hair, and I do (occasionally) S&D.

The club welcomes members old and new! :D

OhioLisa
March 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Me me me! :D "Old" member here. My last dusting was in December 06. Before that, I couldn't even tell you when my last real cut was. I just reached TB and still see no need to trim. I have fairytale ends and luv em. :) I am growing to terminal anyway, so I just don't see a need for trimming.

CaraLynn
March 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I haven't trimmed in a year, but today I'm going to have my mom cut about 1/2 inch off because it's quite split.....I don't worry too much about tiny cuts like that cause my hair grows a full inch-inch and a half each month....however after today I plan not to cut again and protect my ends against splits better so that I can hurry and get to my waist!

Meli
March 8th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I joined this club just before LHC went down. My last trim was at the end of December and I'm still on the wagon ;) I am a non-trimmer at heart so it wasn't difficult even with LHC being down. However, I have been a trimmer for a couple of years before I found LHC because I was so tired of having tiny brooms on the ends of my hairs... During this time I trimmed more than my hair grew and went from tailbone to waist. My hair felt awfully short and I still had a lot of splits above my hemline. But after learning about S&D-ing and gentler haircare I have now less splits than ever before since my hair grew long :D No need to trim more then! I'm perfectly fine with S&D when needed only.

My first goal is to get back to TBL, and after that I'm going for terminal length (wherever that is). I'm definitely going to develop fairy tale ends sooner or later. I won't reach terminal without them, you know :p

Stagecoach
March 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Here I am!!! I've got four more months to reach my 12 months with no trimming. This will be the second year in a row that I've only trimmed once in 12 months!
I find I have to do a ton of SD's to keep my hair workable though.... I get splits like thers no tomorrow!

birthmarkie
March 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Me! I'm here! As you can see from my ticker below, I'm nearing one year of no trims!

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10720;104/st/20070317/e/since+last+cut/k/5d94/event.png

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I'm another old member. I'm not one for trims- having had no formal trims in about 11 years. However, before I found TLHC (2 years ago), I occasionally "evened up" the ends of my braids. :oops:

I'm not doing S&D either as I'm curious to see what totally uncut hair is like eventually (and if I live that long :grin: )

Poolsoflaughter
March 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I want to join, and stay on the no-trimming wagon for 1 year! I have a tendency to only let my hair get so long, then sabotage it when I get bored or frustrated with a big chop! (I'm grateful about the last, because I finally rid myself of nasty, crispy, bleached ends from when I used to dye it). I hereby pledge not to trim for 1 year! (at least) :D

Elfling
March 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Search and Destroy :p I love it!!

I haven't trimmed since May at this point. I'm starting to get fairytale ends, but I like it that way; I've always loved the Waterhouse hair look and I don't like blunt cuts. Now that I've given up a lot of bad hair habits, my ends don't look bad either; not a lot of split ends and they're very shiny. I'll go till it's totally obvious I need something trimmed, which I hope will be a long time with my new-found hair care habits.

Fireweed
March 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Great to be back after large trim in December. The plan is not to cut for a good year or more.

Stephanie
March 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
No trim club here. No time for it. I did a two chops last year trying to get back to natural colored, healthy looking hair, but now that I have it, there's no more need. My focus is on keeping the remaining hair (I'm at BSL currently) well moisturized and detangled. I usually wear it up in a French twist fresh out of the shower, so that's not a problem anymore, either.

bugeyedmonster2
March 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
On the last LHC I had joined the No Trimming/No Cutting club back in August 2007. I had decided not to trim any for a year (just S&D) and see how it grew. Well, I still want blunt ends. But I've gotten length that I'd hate to loose.

So now I'll take a good look at it in August 2008 and determine if I want to trim any.

(^_^)/
BEM

HeatherMae
March 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Count me in as well. I had gone for a year and a half without a cut and then got way too much taken off back in September. :( I don't plan on getting any trims for a very long time.

pookatrina
March 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I'm a no trimmer for now. Not sure when the last one was. It was in my journal, lol.

CurlyNinja
March 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I haven't trimmed since about last April/May, and I want to wait until after my graduation at the end of May before I trim again.

Lasiren
March 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I don't really trim anymore -I wear my hair up and lightly oiled most of the time, so between that and S&D I don't see any real need for trims!
True, the bottom few inches of my hair are kind of green from the pool and the sea this summer O_o but I won't start to microtrim those off until I'm past my goal of waist, anyway. They don't show in updos, and are fading anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

nowxisxforever
March 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I've been sort of un-officially a non-trimmer for a few years. I did finally trim 1.5 inches off during the LHC outage, because my ends were just too crunchy! My hair was soso slow trying to get to classic, so I figured I'd trim off the worst of the damage and go back to TB and see how that worked. My ends are majorly split due to pre-LHC bad treatment (chemical dyes, etc) and are probably breaking more than they're growing. Now that I've done my "big trim" [for me- I don't trim, really] I'm going to continue going the way I was :] [The middle picture in my sig is from after the trim.]

tomm
March 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
My last official "trim" was in June of 2006, to clean up the worst of some horrific chlorine damage. Now, the only time scissors touch my hair is when I go in once a year to have split end damage cleaned up.

yogachic
March 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'll join in, I just had a trim the middle of February, i wanted 1/2 inch taken off, she took off an inch, so I am planning to not trim my hair until after I reach waist, and that will be in about a year and a half, maybe 2 years.

eresh
March 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'll join in too :-)
My goal is not to trim untill I reach my lengthgoal (ankle).
I do S&D when I notice a split, but I don't to regular trims or cutting to make my hairline even.

Faepirate
March 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I haven't trimmed for a year and a half, and I don't intend to trim for at least another year! I figure that my ends are doing ok with just S&D and lots of pampering. :)

Cricket
March 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I so want to be able to join the 'no trim' group. At this point, I'm trimming once a year to rid myself of damage done a few years ago when I thought that bleached streaks would be great. My hair is way too fine to survive that kind of abuse for long.

My goal is hip-length... and I just cut from waist back to BSL. If I could only go back in time and keep myself from buying that bleach!!!!

Is it possible (with healthy hair) to go 2 or 3+ years without needing scissors?

florenonite
March 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I haven't trimmed since July, and don't intend to until the summer. Then I'll take a look at my hair and decide if I want a 1/2-1" cut off or if I'll wait another year.

xrosiex
March 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I havent trimmed since June. But I do have bangs does that count?

chelles2kids
March 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I'm still part of the no trimming club. I haven't trimmed since November and am waiting untl I reach tailbone length before trimming again.
Well, actually a bit longer than tailbone length.

I have been a bad girl and haven't measured in a couple of months but by my last calculation I'm thinking I should be there sometime November '08, so we'll see.

Ahhh, it's so glad to be back and see all the no trimmer familiar faces!
Hello everyone!;)

Michelle

SchnauzerMom
March 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I'm joining. I'm starting over (again). No trimming for me until at least January.

girlcat36
March 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Haven't trimmed since August, and I have no plans to 'even up' my hair. It never stays even anyway because some sections grow faster than others. Amazingly, I do not get split ends, so really no reason to trim.

AJoifulNoise
March 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Non-trimmer here. I haven't trimmed in about 2.5 years.

OhioLisa
March 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Is it possible (with healthy hair) to go 2 or 3+ years without needing scissors?

Absolutely! There are plenty here who have gone that or longer. :D

Ahhh, it's so glad to be back and see all the no trimmer familiar faces!
Hello everyone!

Michelle

It's good to see you too, Michelle!!

I'm joining. I'm starting over (again). No trimming for me until at least January.

I must admit, SM, I am SOOOOO glad to see you are growing again! Your hair is so pretty! Not that it is not pretty short, don't get me wrong... I am just sayin. ;)

EdG
March 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
My last trim was in 2004. At the time, I had a nice classic-length blunt-cut.

Since then, I've been letting my hair grow! I don't have a specific length goal. I'm just seeing how long my hair can get. :)
Ed

SugarBabydoll
March 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM
For a few month I really have being neglect to my hair. So much that I got a thousands splits and I had to trim. Now I won't do it until my hair reaches BSL. It's currently at almost APL.

Now I just need a good scissor for S&D missions...

Does anyone here know any good ways to prevent splits?

Juanita
March 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Haven't trimmed since Nov 06 which was the last time I coloured my hair.Am growing the grey out. And getting lots of positives from people about how nice my natural grey is.

Cheers
Juanita

*Elvina*
March 9th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I love the colour of your hair Jel!!

Me too, I'd like to become a member. I'm used to cutting my hair only once or twice a year and I've never had split ends (though my longest was wl). A couple of months ago I decided to have regular trims, I can't believe how I could 've been this stupid!!. I thought it would be good for my hair and blablabla but it doesn't change a thing.

So, now I'm not trimming it at least until I'm wl again. I'm starting to love fairy tale ends more and more and since I have a layered cut, they're not that difficult to achieve for me.

brunette
March 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Hi Jel thanks for bringing this up on the new LHC!
I joined the old No Trimming Club back in about March or April 2007. I have a ticker on my website to remind me how long it's been since I trimmed! I last cut in February 2007 and pledged not to cut (except for S&Ds) until May 2008. Well it's been over a year now, and still no cutting! I think I did an S&D once during 2007 but without my hair journal I cannot check for sure.
Keep on not trimming!

jel
March 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks, Elvina! I'm very lucky that henna works for me and I like the colour result.

It's great to see so many familiar faces (backs of heads!), as well as new ones joining us for the first time.

Some ideas on how to avoid split ends in the first place:

use conditioners that give good slip
oil ends regularly, so there's a protective barrier on top of the hair shaft
keep ends protected in updos
use hair-friendly elastics and hair toys
sleep on silk pillowcases and wear silky tops so the hair doesn't snag

Remember that if your ends feel crunchy or dry, it doesn't necessarily mean they're split; often a good clarifying followed by lots of moisture (DTs, conditioners, leave-ins) will sort them out.

Keep on not trimming! (I really like this, brunette!)

Moondial
March 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I suppose I could join this club. My last trim/cut was more than two and a half years ago. My ends aren't exactly in a wonderful condition, but ok I think. I don't really trim my ends regularly, I just go to the salon whenever I think my hair isn't looking good enough to be worn down anymore. This is sometimes after one year, sometimes after two. I'm in need of a trim now, I suppose, but I'm still discussing trying a S&D mission instead with myself. I have never heard of this until I found this board yesterday.

ChloeDharma
March 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I haven't trimmed since august 2006.....what i actually want is to never trim again, but i'm not sure if i'll manage it because i still have some chemical damage at the ends which tangles alot. But for the moment i'm holding out :)

Patchouli
March 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I had a trim on Jan 27th and now intend to not have it cut until Jan 2010. I've got a lot of damaged length due to bleaching and dye-ing but I don't want to cut it all out just yet because my hair's not long enough!
Got a lot of split ends so my scissors are stuck to my hip at the moment while I 's&d' at every opportunity!
It's at BSL when straight and APL when curly.

My mum's relative used to plait her hair then run a candle up and down the braid to get rid of split ends! I won't be attempting that!

OhioLisa
March 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Wow... look at all of our noobs. Welcome all! :) Good to see some familiar heads of hair as well (hi brunette!)

Good tips there, jel. The only other thing I might recommend is that, especially if your hair is fragile, you might want to ditch the brushes and switch to wide-tooth combs only. They will reaaalllllyyy cut down on mechanical damage. :D Good luck all!

bte
March 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Old member here - I still have not trimmed (since Jue 1994),and do not plan to until at least 2063. (That's because I was 39 whien I last trimmed, and want to go until I'm at least 78.
Good luck to all other non trimmers.

brunette
March 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Good to see some familiar heads of hair as well (hi brunette!)

Hi OhioLisa! It certainly is nice to see all the shiny hair again!

addikted
March 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Count me in, have not trimmed since January 2007. My hair was heavily layered, so I have artificial fairytale ends. Love it. Its currently BSL and my goal is classic! No trimming for me till then.

OhioLisa
March 9th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Count me in, have not trimmed since January 2007. My hair was heavily layered, so I have artificial fairytale ends. Love it. Its currently BSL and my goal is classic! No trimming for me till then.

Yay for fairytales! :D Welcome, addikted!

tiny_teesha
March 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM
i've joined this before i won't trim until May when my hair is theoretically 1cm past waist. I am only trimming to change my hemn line shape. It is a V i want a subtle U. So i think i will do like 2 1cm trims a year. until i get the shape i want. Then never trim until knee! :)

Alaia
March 10th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I joined this club before!

I've been no-trim since... March 2006! lol

Unfortunately I'm going to have to jump off the wagon because I'm approaching goal, and I dislike how transparent my ends are at the moment. I've still got 2 inches to go though, before my first "maintain" trim.

After I've improved my ends though, who knows where I might go! ;)

trollkjerring
March 10th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Can I join this club, please?

I have lots of damaged hairs so I don' t know how long I can make it without a trim. My last one has been in September 2007 and so far I have no split ends, my hair is now 18.5 inch long.

My goal is at least classic or even go to terminal cause I believe that never cut hair is stronger than cut hair and I want to see how long it can grow.

trollkjerring

MerryKat
March 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I had tried not trimming last year (without much success). However, I cut a huge amount of damage off of my canopy (left me with a layered cut which looks great) in September 2007. I have not even been tempted since then and I have now reached and passed BSL, so the temptation is gone.

I plan on never trimming again - any splits I have are way above the ends that would be cut with a trim, so S&D solves them.

My main goal at the moment is classic with fairytale ends, but once there I suspect that rather than trim, I will head for terminal.

I am starting from a layered cut which really helps the fairytale ends.

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Can I join this club, please?

I have lots of damaged hairs so I don' t know how long I can make it without a trim. My last one has been in September 2007 and so far I have no split ends, my hair is now 18.5 inch long.

My goal is at least classic or even go to terminal cause I believe that never cut hair is stronger than cut hair and I want to see how long it can grow.

trollkjerring

Of course you can! Welcome and best wishes on your growing journey.

trollkjerring
March 10th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks for accepting my request, Stagecoach! It means a lot for me coming from you - my hair wants to look like yours when it is grown up:)
trollkjerring

ycelong
March 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Move over a little so I can have a seat on the bandwagon. My last trim was Dec 17, 2007 - then I found the LHC so now I don't want to trim - styllists always take off way more than I want them to anyway....
Count me in!!

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I joined the club not too long before the boards went down. My last trim was September 29, 2007. My goal is to refrain from trimming until I hit TBL, and perhaps not even then. I'm currently between APL & BSL (sure seems like I'm hanging out here a long time, too!!!)

nappywomyn
March 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Oooh, I'd love to join!!

I haven't trimmed my hair since Feb 06, when I cut off the last of my damaged/bleached/colored hair. I plan on doing S&D's once my hair is long enough for me to actually 'see' (I figure I should be able to start doing partial ones by the end of the year), and I have no CLUE when my next 'trim' would be. I'm growing to terminal, and I have VERY curly hair - so definitely will end up with fairy tale ends.......

I'm hoping to never cut my hair again, actually. ;)

Delila
March 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Sign me up! I'm not planning to trim again until December, which would make a year between trims, but really I'm just going to play it by ear.

So far, I have no urge to trim, and have been S&D'ing as I find raggedy splits that need attention.

I've reached tailbone, and am extremely reluctant to lose any length right now, even if my hemline's a bit wispy.

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for accepting my request, Stagecoach! It means a lot for me coming from you - my hair wants to look like yours when it is grown up:)
trollkjerring

Aw, how sweet, thank you! :flowers:

And welcome everyone else... y'all are giving me some much needed encouragment to continue on to July without trims.!

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I've decided not to trim until after I pass the bar. The results come out in October I think. My last trim was February, so this will be a long stretch for me. I'm used to cutting off dry ends every 3 months, but I'm going to try to take better care of my ends so I don't have to chop them. Hopefully I'll be able to hold out. I get a little antsy to cut when I'm under stress, so we'll see how it goes.

Cichelle
March 11th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I'm joining this club and hanging on tenaciously. I haven't cut/trimmed since the summer of 2005. Sometimes I decide I'm going for a trim, but I always set a date like six months away....at which time, I change my mind. I'm going to keep up with this "method" indefinitely. Though, I will probably eventually trim. Yes. Maybe in six months. :)

Neorah
March 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I haven't had a trim of any sort since early 2006. I didn't realize it had been that long until I went back and looked at old pictures.

It could probably use a small trim, 1/8 of an inch or so. I've actually been meaning to for a couple of weeks now, but I have to buy some proper scissors first, and who knows when that will happen. It will probably be a while. :D

mugglemomof3
March 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I've been wanting to join this club for awhile. This will be my first post in the new LHC as part of the pledge to myself!!!!!

Post here how long you've not been trimming, and/or how long you want to abstain from it. I haven't trimmed since, well hell! Without the old LHC I have no idea when my last cut was. I'll have to figure it out and update this later. Since before Christmas, maybe before Thanksgiving.

What goals do you want to reach before you grab the scissors? Waist. I just made BSL in January.

Do you want to maintain or develop fairy tale ends? Not really, we'll see though.

Have you joined the old club and then fell off the wagon during the 'dark ages' of LHC? No - I wanted to join but never got around to it!

OK. Now I'm off to actually read this thread! :cool:

OhioLisa
March 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Yay! I am glad you decided to join, mugglemomof3. Your hair is so pretty. I can't wait to see it at your goal! :)

mugglemomof3
March 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Yay! I am glad you decided to join, mugglemomof3. Your hair is so pretty. I can't wait to see it at your goal! :)

OMG! You just made my entire week! *blushes*:D:inlove:

2BThinAgain
March 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I havent had a trim in exactly 3 months ( 12/12/07).. With that said despite how damaged my hair is with the bleaching I was doing as well as the box coloring I was doing to it until today when I did my first cassia/henna...I am not going to trim it for at least a year. If I knew how to get an up to date photo of me on here I would. The one in my avatar is from November 07 and my hair is now at my chin length.
So, please count me in and thanks :)

My hair should grow pretty fast as I am on a high protein diet as I had WLS back in Sept 2005.

You all are great people and I am glad to be back !!!

Deb:D

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I haven't trimmed in about 8 months. I'm lazy and tend towards benign neglect, so I think I might schedule a trim for myself around November for my birthday.

chrissy-b
March 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I did a big chop at the beginning of the year to remove damage and wasn't planning on trimming for six months, but I think I'm going to try for at least a year (fingers crossed).

DecafJane
March 14th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hooray! Me, too!
I haven't had a cut/trim since September, and I'm not getting one until AT LEAST January next year. :)

chrissy-b
March 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Oops! I already posted here. Maybe I'm just too excited about the site being back up.:cheese:

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Last trim- December, but i plan to trim in May
What goals do you want to reach before you grab the scissors? 1cm past waist, then trim that 1cm off to change the hemn to a more subtle U (slowly...)
Do you want to maintain or develop fairy tale ends? i will have to stick out the fairytale ends, i think it is nice but not with my fake thinning from damage. I would love blunt ends better then FT ends though.
Have you joined the old club and then fell off the wagon during the 'dark ages' of LHC? NO! :)
I do S&D about monthly.

I was a member of the old thread! :)

Alenka
March 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Count me in again.
I still want to go without trim until .... I'll see.
Doing some S&D once in a while.
Seing how the ends of my hair are getting more and more uneven.
But liking to be a long-haired lady.
And looking forward to get (much) longer hair.

khyricat
March 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
long time non trimmer here.. always been a non trimmer at heart.. I'd get 1/4-1/2" cut when the splits got bad.. since I started hennaing again I haven't had a split.

My last trim was 4/07, and prior to that 10/06 is when I had the chop.. I will get a trim before I see mom to clean up the ends (not splits, but unevenness) and if that is April, then that will be when it happens, if not, I'll have it done in Aug before my cousin's wedding..

basically I get it dusted/trimmed to even ends to offset one of moms myriad complaints when I see her, and it works out normally to once a year, which is plenty for me! if its longer, great, if its less time thats good to.

Kittee
March 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I just did a big chop yesterday, ready to get on board for another year without trimming! =D

Meli
March 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
I just realized that today is three months since my last trim. My ends look nice, though they have got thinner because of all S&D-ing while LHC was down. I don't mind thin ends, then they might fairytale sooner. When I had trimmed enough to get a blunt hemline, I actually realized that I missed my fairytale ends...

By the way, anyone else who miss the trimmers and non-trimmers measure-in threads? I think it would be fun to start them up again here on the new LHC board.

longinthehair
March 23rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Non-trimmer here too - two years to 2 and a half I believe.
S&D only.
Long, long term goal is classic, but may..I say 'may trim' upon solid tailbone or mid-way past btw. tailbone & classic.
Totally stick-straight hair - don't know if you can term them as going to fairytale.
How many of us are 'straightie fairytalers'? Or maybe it should be termed 'veil fairytaler' - cause the ends do get pretty sparse. But I keep on oiling, every end counts, to me. LOL

peachy.pudding
March 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
I love this thread!

Previously - I have not trimmed my hair for 1 yr and 1 mth

Currently i plan to continue not to trim until Aug 08 where i will trim 1/2 inch of the ends and a dusting on the layers.

Not trimming really helps the health of my hair and the growth.

embee
March 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Count me in! Old member here. I began to grow out my hair in the 1990s and did a big (terribly mistaken) 8 inch chop a few days before joining this board in 2005 (I think it was). No scissors have touched my hair since, except for occasional S&D, and since my hair is almost always up I don't see many splits. :)

I love my fairytale ends, they make my updo possible.

I kinda think I'm at terminal. I haven't needed to change any updo methods in a very long time.

Aelith
March 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
I'm in. The last time I had a "trim," (which ended up being more of a cut) was September 2007.

Redheaded Raven
March 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Count me in! Last trim was in May of 2008. That is the last date in my notebook, but could be wrong as anything else was in my old journal. lol I want my hair to thicken, but I think that that will happen as my halo gains length. So we will see what happens.:shrug:

snowflakegirl
March 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'm in. I've just passed the 1 year mark since I last had a cut or trim. I have done some S & D, but I won't do a small trim perhaps until I reach hip or tailbone (I haven't decided yet).

Lisa-Maria
March 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Haven't trimmed in 6 months so I'm in for as long as I can hold off the urge too trim.

andrea1982
March 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Sign me up! I just had a trim this Thursday, so my ends feel lovely again for the first time since I highlighted my hair 2 years ago. I'm planning to go at least a year, then re- assess.

Arianwen
March 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
No more trims for me. :D Last trim was either March or April of last year, can't remember exactly.

Stagecoach
March 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I just wanted to say welcome to all the new comers!

ladystar
March 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
I have not gone longer than 6 month without a trim. I just dont like the way they look, it drives me crazy. I plan on not triming for a yr. Wish me luck.

Coral
March 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
I just got my hair trimmed, but before that I had waited 6 months to cut it. I plan on waiting another 6 months, but I will wait longer than that if the ends are looking good. I am sure I will pick up a lot of tips on how to keep it healthy here!:)

salamander
March 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I joined the old club back when it was first made, but I stopped trimming a while before that. I always hated trims, and now that I know how to take care of my hair I don't need them! I got my last cut February 2007, almost exactly a year ago, just before I found LHC! I'd been trimming in an attempt to mitigate all the damage I was unknowingly doing to my hair, and getting slowly shorter. The last one went too short, and I hated it, but I'm now almost as long as my hair's ever been, and going strong!

Current plan is to grow it to classic, then trim back up to tailbone for a blunt hemline. I should be at tailbone in another year without cuts, and classic maybe another year after that. It's already long enough to make me happy, though!

Sossity
March 24th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have not trimmed my ends in a long time, reading this thread for the 1st time; never heard of the no trimming method, I was always told that one needs to trim a little to get split ends off, & promote growth. what is SDing & how does one do that? what are fairytail ends?

Sossity

MeMyselfandI
March 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I have not trimmed my ends in a long time, reading this thread for the 1st time; never heard of the no trimming method, I was always told that one needs to trim a little to get split ends off, & promote growth. what is SDing & how does one do that? what are fairytail ends?

Sossity

Sossity,

Jel in her opening post, talkes about SD.

Seek and destroy.

This is what she wrote:

Calling all non-trimmers, old and new! If you're fed up with losing length to trims or cuts, join the club! Individual split ends snipping (search & destroy) doesn't count

Strongnlong
March 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hi non-trimmers,
My last dusting was February 29th...before that I hadn't trimmed since Oct.2007. It's ironic that as soon as I made up my mind to go for 1 yr without trimmimg I noticed a few splits...but i'm taking care of them with S&D when I can.

I moisturize and protect my hair daily so i'm expecting to keep every inch I gain within the next yr!
Happy Hair Growing!

sapphire-o
March 24th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread. I was in the old no-trimming club and still qualify. :D I haven't trimmed since I started growing my hair from a bob. My last haircut was Aug. 2004, so it's been 3 years and 7 months. My hair grows at average rate. I figured not cutting it is the fastest way to grow. My hair doesn't get splits but it thin out rather rapidly. It's very very tapered now but I'm still resisting trimming. Someday I'll cut it to a blunt end, but not yet.

Gylfi
March 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Sweet, a club! I haven't trimmed my hair in over 40 months and don't intend to do any kind of trimming until after I reach belt-length. Even then I only intend to search & destroy, as I favor the look of "fairy-tale ends" over any blunt cut.

jel
March 25th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I was always told that one needs to trim a little to get split ends off, .

Hi Sossity! You can get split ends off by cutting just the individual splits off, one by one. Quite often splits don't appear right at the hemline anyway, so you can do a half-inch trim and still have split ends higher up in the length. I prefer not to lose that half-inch, and get rid of my splits by S&Ding.

& promote growth

Hair grows from the follicle in the scalp, not from the end. Trimming has no effect on growth of healthy hair. (If the hair is so damaged that the ends keep breaking off, then trimming - once - to the healthy length can improve the retention of growth.)

what is SDing & how does one do that?

S&D = search and destroy; you grab a strand of hair and look at it, maybe twist it gently to expose any split ends, then cut just the splits off with very sharp scissors used only for hair.

what are fairytail ends?

They are the opposite of a blunt cut hemline, and tend to develop after a few years of no trimming. Unequal in length, clumping into waves or curls, a bit wild. They are named fairytale ends as princesses in illustrated fairy tales usually don't have blunt hems!

To clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong with blunt ends and regular trimming - if that is what you like and want for your hair. But in this club we like to let our hair grow! (at least for a period of time)

n3m3sis42
March 25th, 2008, 07:05 AM
May I please join the no-trimming club? My last trim was at the beginning of November, and before that I went 6 months without trimming. My goal is to go at least a year from my last trim before trimming again.

...On a somewhat related note, does anyone here want to recommend a good pair of scissors to use for S&D? I only tried S&D once, but if I'm going to last for a year, I'm going to need to start doing it on a more regular basis.

Kelsey
March 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Can I be a member too? I avoid trimming at all costs! I don't really have split ends, but my ends thin. My little cousin tells me the only way to reverse those is to put protein directly in, if I don't want to resort to trimming.

Kelsey
March 25th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Can I be a member too?

rainkloud
March 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
this will be my thirteenth year with no real cuts or trims. last cut was a chin length bob when i was twelve. i decided to get bangs once when i was around thirteen or fourteen, but didn't touch the ends. i very very rarely sit down and do a little s&d, but mostly just because i am bored.

jel
March 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Of course, welcome to the club Kelsey, n3m3sis42, and all new members! Rainkloud, you're one of those people who were in the club before it was created :D

Regarding the scissors, ice-tempered steel should be best (I don't even know if there are any other options), but as long as they are kept just for hair and not blunted cutting other materials, they should be fine. Sally's or Boots are probably the easiest places to find good scissors.

OhioLisa
March 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Regarding the scissors, ice-tempered steel should be best (I don't even know if there are any other options), but as long as they are kept just for hair and not blunted cutting other materials, they should be fine. Sally's or Boots are probably the easiest places to find good scissors.

Titanium shears are great too. More durable than steel. :D

EbonyCurls
March 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair in just about a year.
My last trim was was May '07 and I told myself I would trim it in Jan (b/c I wanted to start trimming every 6 months in Jan and July)...Jan came and went..now it's almost a year and I planned to skip the Jan mark and go ahead and meet the July one...but I have a feeling that if I miss that one, I'm going to go ahead and set plans to trim in Jan. '09.

My feeling at this point is that I want long hair so badly and never have had it because I always trim based on a schedule and realize now that that prevented me from having long hair, so unless my hair absolutely needs it I'm going to see how long I can go.

eta: I frequently do S&D (weekly b/f my DT) and that has really been THE factor in my ability to abstain from trimming. Even though it's a bit scraggly (which I love with curly hair anyways) it's healthy all the way to the ends which I've never had before at this length.

Requiax
March 25th, 2008, 05:59 PM
As penitence for a spur of the moment chop in April last year (tailbone back to BSL) I have not had a trim since . I have regained most of what was cut (currently 3" past waist.) It may end up being more than a year though, unless I find someone trustworthy to do it.

WritingPrincess
March 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I don't see any need to trim, but Mommy says I need a micro-trim because my ends are really ragged. After this trim, I'm not going to trim again for a year at least.

Stagecoach
March 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Can I be a member too?

Sure! Welcome. :flowers:

socks
March 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair in 6-7 years, but I do a bit of S&D. I think I need new scissors however, as my ends are a bit delicate and my current scissors just seem to be making my splits worse.

intothemist1999
March 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Count me in!

Usually after my seasonal measure I'd get hubby to snip a bit off to even it out and get rid of any bad ends.

My growth seems to have slowed alot (or I measured wrong the very first time). I only get an inch a season. Since I'm discouraged with getting to my goal and this Spring the ends looked and felt alright, I decided to forego it.

I don't expect to trim again until I reach goal length (waist...3" to go!)

sapphire-o
April 5th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I'm officially a drop out now. I just did a small trim. I figured after 3 years and 8 months that's not so bad. I took off 2 inches, which is like a couple dozens hairs pinched between two fingers, not much at all. I'm still at tailbone length and have a fairytail end. It's just I can see where the ends are now. :D

jel
April 5th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I'm officially a drop out now. I just did a small trim. I figured after 3 years and 8 months that's not so bad. I took off 2 inches, which is like a couple dozens hairs pinched between two fingers, not much at all. I'm still at tailbone length and have a fairytail end. It's just I can see where the ends are now. :D

There's no reason you can't rejoin the club... ;) Unless, of course, you wish to continue trimming on a regular basis.

I have been tempted recently to do just that - drop out of the club, even out my see-through ends, then rejoin... But I'm not sure yet. You're braver than I am, Sapphire-o!

sahiba
April 5th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I know I am quite late for it but can I join too? Believe it or not but I have never trimmed my whole life.

jel
April 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I know I am quite late for it but can I join too? Believe it or not but I have never trimmed my whole life.

Of course you can, Sahiba, welcome to the club! And it's never late to join... :D

birthmarkie
April 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I haven't trimmed in almost 13 months now. I've gained great length, but my ends are choppy layers. I've been debating doing a microtrim monthly, but my hairs are so uneven that I would catch maybe 10-20 hairs with a microtrim. So that doesn't seem worth it to me. I think I'll just be an uneven-ended person for the time being. I am going to reassess the situation next month, probably. I am getting very near to my second goal of 24" but ideally I would get to waist-length and then consider maintaining and getting an even hemline. The thing is, I think scraggly ends can be rather cute. They are just at an awkward phase for me right now. :shrug:

sahiba
April 6th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Of course you can, Sahiba, welcome to the club! And it's never late to join... :D

Thanks.I'm glad to be a part of this club.

Stagecoach
April 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Just checking in with everyone with a progress update.

It's now been 9+ months since my last trim... and I'm happy with my hair overall. My only gripe with going so long inbetween trims is my hair really does grow slower. I know it's not whats 'supposed' to happen, but it just does. This is my second year of waiting 12 months between trims, and I"m just not happy with it. So in June I'm going to get an inch off... and I'll probably trim on an 'as needed' basis from that point on out.

Legend
April 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Oooh…I’d like to join this club. I haven’t trimmed since August 6, 2006!

mugglemomof3
April 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I spent every free minute of last week S&Ding. Uggg. I have sooo many splits. But I realized that the last couple of "trims" ia had ended up not getting most of my splits since my hair is so layered and I just got the ends "trimmed" to even them out.

So glad I have my membership in this club to keep me from losing any more length ever again!!! :cheese: Kudos to all us. :cool:

2BThinAgain
April 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Since I last posted...I did do a major cut to get rid of the damage and now it has been three weeks.

On to my goal of growing it back out to apl and bsl and classic etc like my siggy says. Just need lots of reinforcement...

I CAN DO IT THIS TIME !!!!!:cheese:

Vela
April 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Hey ya'll, mind if I join? I only trimmed last month(1/2"), the splits were going up and S&D wasn't working. My hair is still very much fairytale hair, which is just how I like it! :)

birthmarkie
April 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hey ya'll, mind if I join? I only trimmed last month(1/2"), the splits were going up and S&D wasn't working. My hair is still very much fairytale hair, which is just how I like it! :)

Sure you can join! How does a 1/2" trim help splits that are traveling up :confused:
Well, I hope it worked for you!

KajiKodomo
April 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I would like to join!

If you don't count my undercut and face-framing bangs, I haven't cut my hair in 2 years. However, if you count those, it's only been 2 months.

I'm currently growing out my undercut. I'm undecided on the face-framing bangs though, as I kind of like the softness they add to updos. Can I still join if I trim my bangs?

magicatt
April 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I meant to join this group before the crash. I haven't had my hair cut or even trimmed since March 2006. I really cant' see that I'll be trimming it until I reach my goal length (whatever that actually winds up being) to maintain.

Devoted
April 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Well I still haven't trimmed. I have S&D a tad when I have seen split ends. I think I am going to wait until waist and then do 1/2 trims to let my layers grow out so I can have one length hair. I have never had that, it's always been layered.
Although I have to admit I've been getting the "gotta cut" bug lately. I get thoughts of cutting some of my longer layers, but I am resisting!

DecafJane
April 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
This month has been my 6 month anniversary of no trims - no S&D, no anything. :D
Of course, my last cut was a boy-short buzz cut so at the moment I am growing out a stunning lot of layers, but as it is so wavy/curly I don't think it matters.
I was originally going to wait until next January to have my first trim, but I am now thinking of waiting until I reach BSL (some time next year) to get a small trim. I'm starting to like the look of fairy-tale ends, and as my hair is so thick and wavy I think it would look good.
I'm loving not getting any trims or going to the hairdresser, and as my hair is up all of the time anyway, it really doesn't matter. :D
Pre-LHC I used to spend around $80 per month on cuts and more on product when it was really short, and when it was shoulder length I would spend around $200 every 3 months or so at the hairdresser. Even though I am now a hair toy addict, I still don't spend this much on my hair!! And now it looks nicer than it did before. :D Thanks, LHC!

sowhat
April 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Haven't had a haircut since December 2005. No trims, no S&D, no nothing. No coloring, heat styling or anything ever. I don't feel the need for a regular trim because I don't seem to have splitting issues, but did have a period of breakage that resolved itself when I stepped up care and went CO.

diginado
April 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Can I join, please? Last trim was in 09/07. Asked DH to take a half inch off, to get rid of some damage, wet hair after my shower. Looked down at the floor and was amazed. The man can look at a board and "guesstimate" its' length to a 1/8" accurately but had just snipped off 2 inches of my hair to trim it "even". Almost cried. Will never trim again, just s&d. And stop damaging my hair, of course!

JasmineDaisy
April 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I am going to join. I dont want to trim my hair for a year. My last cut was March 24th and I got about 4 inches taken off. My hair is now right below chin length and I hate it. I just hope I can last not cutting my hair for one whole year.

birthmarkie
April 25th, 2008, 06:50 AM
kajimodo - I am pretty sure bangs don't count, unless you personally want them to. Welcome!

magicatt - hi and welcome to the club. I also feel that maintaining a certain length will be the only real reason for me to trim.

devoted - from your picture, I see no need to cut!

DecafJane - you will be saving a lot of money!

sowhat - good for you!

diginado - of course you can join! Welcome!

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

n3m3sis42
April 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm having the temptation to trim so badly right now.

For the past 2 years, I have said I would go a year between trims and always caved at 6 months. My 6-month mark is coming up in about a week. I do have some split ends, but they're not very bad and this is definitely by FAR the best my hair has ever looked at the 6-month mark.

I even asked my husband if I should trim, and he said it didn't look like my hair needed it (and he will tell me if he thinks it does, although he's not exactly a hair expert and neither am I). I reallllly want to make it to waist length before trimming again (even if I don't stick it out for the whole year), because I am only about 1-2 inches away and it's taken FOREVER to get this close because I have a loooooong torso. I haven't been measuring my hair until this month, but I believe that my hair grows somewhere between half an inch and an inch per month. It definitely grows faster in the summer, and it doesn't appear to be stalled, so I'm sure I can make it to a little beyond waist within 3-6 months if I stick it out.

Words of support would be much appreciated. :D

Saranne772
April 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I am here to join the club :D

My last trim was in September 07 and I cut about 6 inches off. I did have bad split ends but I regretted cutting so much off! I went from classic right back to waist :(

I am not intending to trim until such a time as I have too many split ends. I really want to get to knee and trim about 3 inches, grow to knee trim about 3 inches etc to get rid of any bad growth. But we will see when the time comes! I have 12 inches to go before knee yet!

Sanguine
April 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I'm still in, May 3 will be a year! It's been hard cause I've been stalled for much of that.
I'm eyeing the August MM length dates but I may go another year.I've been using the Ovation system for a few weeks and it seems to have broken the stall. My hair looks very healthy and shiney, no splits, it's just thin and fairytailed pretty badly from the mega-shed of 3 years ago. It's thickening up again at the new growth level too.
I think maybe the stall may have had to do with the longest oldest hairs that got alot of their terminal length trimmed out and the new hairs had years to grow to start entering the hemline.

Xandergrammy
April 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM

For the past 2 years, I have said I would go a year between trims and always caved at 6 months. My 6-month mark is coming up in about a week. I do have some split ends, but they're not very bad and this is definitely by FAR the best my hair has ever looked at the 6-month mark.

I even asked my husband if I should trim, and he said it didn't look like my hair needed it (and he will tell me if he thinks it does, although he's not exactly a hair expert and neither am I). I reallllly want to make it to waist length before trimming again (even if I don't stick it out for the whole year), because I am only about 1-2 inches away and it's taken FOREVER to get this close because I have a loooooong torso. I haven't been measuring my hair until this month, but I believe that my hair grows somewhere between half an inch and an inch per month. It definitely grows faster in the summer, and it doesn't appear to be stalled, so I'm sure I can make it to a little beyond waist within 3-6 months if I stick it out.

Do you trim your hair yourself? If so, I'd hide the scissors if I were you! :gabigrin: You've made it this far- you can keep going to waist!!!

jel
April 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM

I've bolded the most important phrases from your message. Don't trim until you reach (and pass) waist - you don't need it, in your own words, and your husband's! And you're so close to your goal...

YOU CAN DO IT!

n3m3sis42
April 26th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Do you trim your hair yourself? If so, I'd hide the scissors if I were you! :gabigrin: You've made it this far- you can keep going to waist!!!

Xandergrammy, thank you so much for your supportive words!

I don't trim myself, although I'm thinking about doing an S&D soon. I'm fortunate in that there is a cheapie hair salon within walking distance from my house where it's actually "safe" to get a trim. It's Cut Zoo, which I believe is a local chain, but the one near my house also rents space to a couple of older women who don't work for Cut Zoo. I've been to them a few times and they NEVER cut more than I ask for and don't bat an eyelash when I ask them not to shampoo my hair. :D

I've bolded the most important phrases from your message. Don't trim until you reach (and pass) waist - you don't need it, in your own words, and your husband's! And you're so close to your goal...

YOU CAN DO IT!

jel, thank you. I really appreciate the encouragement! (And the way you said it to me in my own words was just awesome.)

sweetkandi
April 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I want to join! lol. I havent trimmed my hair since March, so Im gonna keep on going with that. NO TRIMS! I had great progress with growing my hair the last time. No trims, and I reached my goals, and It was in great shape. I just hope I can see the same great results this time. :)

dukkelisa
April 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I can't remember the last time scissors cut my hair. I know it's been at least 2 years, maybe closer to 3.

I am not cutting my hair, not even the S&D thing. No scissors. No cutting. I wear my hair up, so I could care less about fairytale ends.

I am at 30 inches, and I am finally feeling like my hair is long. I cannot imagine taking any of it away! :p

DecafJane
April 26th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Wow, dukkelisa, it sounds like you have managed to do what I am aiming for, too!

Your hair looks gorgeous. If you can have hair that looks like that without trimming, why would anybody go near scissors? :) (I know some people need to trim. But why would you if you don't have to?)

Qwerty Uiop
April 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
i forget when i stopped trimming my hair, but i think it was at least 15 years ago. it took the "old" lhc for me to quit feeling guilty, lying, and hiding that fact, though. It's a lot easier to admit that you like fairytale ends when you have a nice name for them.

burns_erin
June 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I think I'll jump on this bandwagon with the rest of you guys so long as no one minds. I have never been a trimmer, though admittedly i have on occasion been a frustrated chopper offer. It is nice to know I am not the only one whose ever lied about not hair trimming. I would much rather S&D anyway, my spile ends are rarely at the bottom where a trim could reach them. I am hoping to reach classic length where I will thereafter go for annual maintenance cuts, I figure if I tell the hairdresser I want 4 inches longer than classic I will actually get classic, but that is a long ways off.

feralnature
June 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Well, seven months and counting for me since my last trim. I had it trimmed the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It is just past my shoulders and I do have some damage I want to have cut off eventually, but for now am enjoying having length and have no plans whatsoever to lay scissors to it for a good long time. I will try to get a pic up of the growth I have had since the pic in my siggy. It was taken in Jan 08.

grendel
June 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I think I'm going to give this non-trimming thing a try :)
I think I'll shoot for a year and see how that goes. It's been about four months since my last trim.

rymorg2
June 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Gulp.....

Jumping into the water with both feet forward. Ok, I'll join! :rollin:

The only thing I will say is that I can't S & D, I have too much hair LOL! But as my hair gets longer it'll be ok, I'll be able to bun it and protect it. It'll be hard....I work in a salon LOL.....but I can do it. I will definately keep my side bang though, and I do plan on evening out my longer front as the back gets longer (I promise, only the VERY front) so I can grow it all out together.

As for goals? Don't have one. It's going to depend on a lot. But my main goal is I want healthy hair-colored hair. No color. Can't use it anyway, too many chemicals in it. :D

Aisha25
June 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'll join. I last trimmed in hmm March cause ends were to dry but never going to trimming at all no cutting either just letting it grow all it's own.

LaurelSpring
June 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I want to join. I had a trim last week which upset me very much. My hairdresser was supposed to do a microtrim but took way more off of my layers than I wanted. I told her I was letting them grow out. I have been trying to keep on top of the trims because I think that I should to keep it looking good, but when I see the lovely faiytale ends and taper on the no trimmers I think...why am I being so obsessive with trims? After that last trim the thought of being in a salon gives me a panic attack. I am ready to let go and see what happens.

Fillette
June 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I want to join! I want to join! :cheese: Wohoo!!!

OhioLisa
June 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Ooohhh, noobs. :D Good luck to all of you. Don't worry. After a while, it's not so much of a struggle to stay away from the scissors. I am at over 18 months now and only rarely even consider trims. But, of course, I resist. ;)

jel
June 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the club to all the new members!

Paniscus
June 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I guess I should join this club too- since I haven't had a trim in over a year! Actually, my last trim was a month or so before I joined LHC!! Wow. :cheer:

Some days I do look at my ends and feel like they could use a bit of dusting, but honestly, I'm just too darn scared to go to a salon. And in no way could I cut my own hair. :scissors::scared:

So, here I am in the NTC :) I'd like to at least get to waist before trimming (if then). We'll see. I've done well thus far!! The desire for length helps.

soleluna
June 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM
So.. I've reached 31.1 inches so far ;)

Siava
June 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM
New member over here! *wave* I haven't trimmed since October 2007 and the ends still look great so I'm going to stay on the no-trim wagon.

Oskimosa
June 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Well, I suppose I should join in too, since I had made up my mind to [try to] grow all the way back out without setbacks.

I have noticed that I have alot of split ends that make my ends feel rather rough since I stopped using cones. Its almost as if they catch and make my hair tangly.

But, my hair is just shoulder length and I don't want to get set back by trimming. Theres also alot of layers, and those are really easy for stylists to screw up. I hope I can minimize the roughness so I can wait till BSL or longer to trim.

jenna
June 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
i'd like to join in. i had to cut off a significant amount this month but before that, i hadn't had a cut/trim/whatever in a couple years and i'd like to get back to that.

DecafJane
June 30th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I am loving that the ultra-layered look is "in" right now - I don't feel obliged to trim my hair at all, even as it has grown completely out of the pixie cut! :D :D
Of course, I won't feel comfortable wearing it down until it is about 6 inches longer, but at least it won't matter that it isn't all the one length. :)

mamachanse
June 30th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I'm in! I normally cut twice per year ( for the past 5 years) but my last "trim" in September 07 was more of a butcher. No need to go through that again. I don't think I have any splits, but maybe I just don't know what to look for.

Wonder17
June 30th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Count me in! I haven't had a trim in almost a year and I want to abstain from it until I get to WL. I'm just gonna let my hair grow in its own rhythm.

cheekytweety
June 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I'd like to join I haven't cut my hair for about 3 years.

Ndnlady
June 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I would like to join! I have not trimmed my hair since January of this year and I don't want to trim anymore! :D Now on to terminal!

peachy.pudding
June 30th, 2008, 02:40 AM
The longest i have gone is 1yr and 4months, i could have gone longer, i plan to trim 1/2 every year now just to remove layers not because of health etc

vidgrl007
June 30th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Ok guys, I would like to join.I am growing out layers that were really ,really razored.I had one bc in oct that put it to my chin.It's now a little past my shoulders and not as layered.My question is this should I keep dusting to get the last of the layers or should I throw away every pair of scissors in the house and just not mess with it for awhile lol.

Molster
June 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Haven't trimmed since April 07 (shortly after I joined LHC). An occasional S&D sorts out the splits, but I'm very lucky coz I don't get many anyway.

I plan to trim again after Jan 09, when my hair should have reached 50" (which should be brushing knee-length on me). I've got some old layers that I can then wait to grow down and join the 50" blunt hemline party!

I haven't crossed the threshold of a hair salon in over 5 years and want to keep it that way!

honeybunch
June 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Me me me!!! I was in the old one,too.

My goal is not to trim until I am at least tailbone length, shouldn't be more than 2 years. I will only s&D until then. I hardly have to do that much.

:D

soleluna
July 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
I haven't trimmed since November 2007, usually I trim twice a year or more, but now I decided I want to go with no trimming until I reach waist if my hair continues on being in good shape :)

jel
July 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the club, everyone!

Vidgrl007, hide the scissors and only take them out for S&D sessions - there's nothing really wrong with layers, is there?

Soleluna, you look like you're already at waist in your sig...

KittyCat
July 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'll join the club!

I'm too lazy to s&d. And really? Today I don't care for a few knots. My hair just gets those.:rolleyes: I think my hair wouldn't be this long if I had regular trims. No way!
Since my hair is not damaged I see no reason why I should cut healthy hair.
Yay for fairy tale ends:cheese:

soleluna
July 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Soleluna, you look like you're already at waist in your sig...

JUMPS UP AND DOWN!! Whaaat?!?! Really????
I didn't know!! I thought waist meant lower! Well then, I will say I won't trim until it reaches the point where my back becomes my butt! how's that called? thanks :D

vidgrl007
July 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Vidgrl007, hide the scissors and only take them out for S&D sessions - there's nothing really wrong with layers, is there?
No. theres nothing wrong with them,sometimes when I feel like my hair isnt growing I get frustrated and think if I just give it a chop it will grow.Sometimes i get down right obssesed. so i'll hide them and remember my hair will grow.w/o giving it a chop lol.txs((hugs))

VanillaTresses
July 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hello! Thanks for pointing me in the scissor-less direction jel! My last trim was (regrettably) only 1-2 weeks ago (end of June, 2008) and it ended (like the ones before it) in tears. So I figure that there is no need for any more tears--- I have it in my mind to go for 24 months or so without subjecting a strand on my head to any cutting implements whatsoever. I realize that I am going to need to baby the length more than usual to obviate the need for trimming, but I am willing to do whatever it takes! Forge boldly ahead, no-trimmers! :D

To be gentle on the ends I have returned to CWCing and bi-weekly deep-conditioning treatments. I figure that whatever I would have spent on trims (And OH BOY are they OUTRAGEOUS now if you go to have someone do it. Phew!) I can now spend on food and conditioner. Much better allocation of the funds, if I may say so myself. ;)

RavennaNight
July 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM
So this month marks a year since my hair last had a close encounter with scissors, aside from S&D. I hope if all goes well, I won't trim until 2009.

Tangles
July 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'm hoping to avoid trims until 2009 as well.
I do believe in microtrims but my hair is just so healthy right now that it seems criminal to lose length at this point.

LaurelSpring
July 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Greetings everyone,

I am looking for a little reassurance. I have it drilled into my mind that I must have trims every 6-12 weeks for my hair to be healthy to the point that I start to get antsy around that time and feel this compulsion to trim. Im nearing that point now and starting to get a little worried. I guess I just want some reassurance from people who have gone before that my ends are not going to turn into straggly broken messes. I really want fairytale ends! How do you get over the hump?

jel
July 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Greetings everyone,

I am looking for a little reassurance. I have it drilled into my mind that I must have trims every 6-12 weeks for my hair to be healthy to the point that I start to get antsy around that time and feel this compulsion to trim. Im nearing that point now and starting to get a little worried. I guess I just want some reassurance from people who have gone before that my ends are not going to turn into straggly broken messes. I really want fairytale ends! How do you get over the hump?

Hide the scissors!

No, really, first set your timer for 15 minutes and do a search & destroy session in that time, then apply your favourite oil/butter on the ends and put the scissors away. After 6-12 weeks, dig them out and do another S&D session... Before you know it, you will have replaced a trim ritual with a search & destroy ritual. Result! :D

Arniky
July 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
to get it evenlength trims are required , but presently while growing its no cutting allowed only trims

LaurelSpring
July 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hide the scissors!

No, really, first set your timer for 15 minutes and do a search & destroy session in that time, then apply your favourite oil/butter on the ends and put the scissors away. After 6-12 weeks, dig them out and do another S&D session... Before you know it, you will have replaced a trim ritual with a search & destroy ritual. Result! :D

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it. I can do this!!

daydreamer
July 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'll join the club!! I can't remember when exactly my last microtrim was, probably last fall. I used to want a blunt hemline but now I'm thinking I like a natural hemline better -- so for now my goal is NO TRIMMING until I reach waist, and probably no trimming until I reach my goal of tailbone or classic. But then I'm worried -- I am not going for terminal length, so how on earth do I keep a natural hemline once I'm at my final goal??

AerisDawn
July 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I don't trim but that's more of a trust issue. The last time I asked for a trim (1in) the stylist cut more than 3 inches off my hair. I really don't think trimming helps out that much unless you have a lot of damage.

Scrofula
July 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I hereby pledge not to have ANY trim for a year, I'm at the start of my growing journey and so other than S+D I think I need to swear off the scissors to make headway *pun intended*

VanillaTresses
July 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I don't trim but that's more of a trust issue.

Oh wow, I am totally there. I have sworn to never let my toes cross the threshold of a salon again. I told my family that if I ever decide that I need another haircut, that my mother can do it. After a certain # of really bad experiences I feel that I would be an idiot to go asking for that type of pain again.

No more :scissors: for me for quite a while!

jel
July 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM
But then I'm worried -- I am not going for terminal length, so how on earth do I keep a natural hemline once I'm at my final goal??

This occurred to me too. Then I realised that I still have about a year before hitting tailbone. I'll worry about it when I get there! :D And who knows, in the meantime I might get some ideas...

socks
July 10th, 2008, 01:02 AM
But then I'm worried -- I am not going for terminal length, so how on earth do I keep a natural hemline once I'm at my final goal??

Wow. That's something I had never though of. I used to be so worried about whether or not I would even be able to get to my goal that I ignored stuff like that, but it's only a couple years away, now. By then, my hair would have gone 8 or 9 years without having been trimmed, so how will it look with the curly tips of my fairytale ends cut off? :confused:

nevercuttingit
August 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hi all. I don't let anyone touch my hair period. It has been about 4 years since the perm which looked great and I do not blow dry at all! At one point bleached hair never again. I will never cut very obsessed with it! N

nevercuttingit
August 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
one more thing never go for layers just play with what you have much mnor satisfying

ChatoyantLocks
August 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'm a long time no trimmer! The last time I had my hair cut by a hairdresser was in 1993. A couple of years later someone evened out the back for me so it wasn't crooked, and I haven't had it cut since, nor do I ever plan to.

kwhitchurch
August 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I am curious to know if any of you who do not trim think it would still work for someone like myself who has very damaged hair I am trying to grow out. I had to cut a bunch off because it had thinned out so much from breaking and now I am at just below shoulder length. I want long hair again SO bad that I dont want to trim or cut if I dont have to.

Meli
August 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I am curious to know if any of you who do not trim think it would still work for someone like myself who has very damaged hair I am trying to grow out. I had to cut a bunch off because it had thinned out so much from breaking and now I am at just below shoulder length. I want long hair again SO bad that I dont want to trim or cut if I dont have to.

Theoretically, yes. All the damaged hairs will eventually shed out, although it will take years before they are all gone. In the mean time, you might have to deal with breakage, thin ends, slow/stalling growth or even length loss if the hair breaks faster than it grows. The ends may get rough and scraggly-looking, but if you are willing to deal with this and pamper the ends all you can, then you could probably go without trims or at least only do occasional trims when it is really necessary. It also depends on how damaged your hair is, and how much time you are willing to spend on S&D.

If you don't want to lose too much length, but still want to remove damage, frequent microtrims/dustings might be an option. You would still be able to gain length, although slower, at the same time as you get rid of more and more damage.

I have been trying to grow out old damage with no trimming, only S&D, myself, because I like fairytale ends and wanted to keep as much length as possible. But my ends were breaking like crazy whatever I did, and finally I got bored with S&D and did not like the look of the extreme taper I had got because of all the breakage in the last few inches. It was not naturally tapering fairytale ends - it just looked bad - and also felt bad because they were so dry and rough. So, even if I joined this club earlier, I am no longer a non-trimmer. I am going to do frequent microtrims until I have removed enough damage. I will someday rejoin this club though, but not for the time being.

Morningglory
August 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
:DHello,
I had planned to trim once a year in July, but I decided to skip this year. :cheese:

So,my goal is to only trim once a year in July my Birthday Month, or wait another year.:rolleyes:

Maybe I will continue to skip every year? We will see how I do.:)

I would love to go for many years but for now one year at a time.:p

nostalgic
August 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
My hair is not even at shoulder yet and I really want to gain some length! I haven't cut it since January and don't plan to do anything to it until I hit bsl. However, I 'm growing out a lot of layers and if it looks too stringy at apl, I may try to even things up a bit :). So, for now, it's bsl and after that, who knows? Maybe I won't have to :p

totie
August 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
My goal is waist length by my 40th bday next march, so no trimming the ends for me either...just the layers are they grow out.

I LUV S&D...it's winter here, so I sit in the warm sun throughout the day and find those splits.
I find it very comforting and also because I know Im finally doing something good for my hair.

LilyMunster
August 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Present goal is to wait until August 2009 to trim.
Right at tb now, will be interesting to see actual year's growth w/o trim.
I may just leave it be next August, but I do know that it has always grown faster on the right. Could need to even that up some.

Xi
August 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
i forget when i stopped trimming my hair, but i think it was at least 15 years ago. it took the "old" lhc for me to quit feeling guilty, lying, and hiding that fact, though. It's a lot easier to admit that you like fairytale ends when you have a nice name for them.

This is what the "new" LHC has done for me! I haven't trimmed since I stopped believing my mother's "trimming makes it grow faster" theory (around 15 years ago). It was not until I found the LHC, however, that I realised my natural hemline could be a style choice -- the mere term "fairytale ends" has been liberating! :grin:

Cinnamon.locks
August 14th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I want to join. I haven't trimmed since May '08 and hoping i won't need to trim until December '08. my hair is still very fragile and ends tend to be dry so not sure if i can reach this tiny goal. I wish i could someday go without trimming at all until i reach terminal with tiny trims to even the hemline so i won't get fairy tale ends ( my hair does not look good with fairy tale ends. too fine.) but right now i'm planning to trim only every 6 months unless there is damage.

jel
August 14th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Welcome to all the new members! :flowers:

my hair is still very fragile and ends tend to be dry so not sure if i can reach this tiny goal.

Cinnamon locks, you can moisturise your ends and *prevent* damage in the first place. Have you tried misting, oiling, tucking in, wet bunning? Does your hair like proteins or cones, oils or shea butter, henna or cassia? There are many things you can do for your hair before reaching for the scissors! :flower:

sahiba
August 14th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Welcome to all the new members! :flowers:

Cinnamon locks, you can moisturise your ends and *prevent* damage in the first place. Have you tried misting, oiling, tucking in, wet bunning? Does your hair like proteins or cones, oils or shea butter, henna or cassia? There are many things you can do for your hair before reaching for the scissors! :flower:

What is misting? And how do you moisture the ends? Does it include the entire length or just the tips?

Aisha25
August 14th, 2008, 09:04 PM
What is misting? And how do you moisture the ends? Does it include the entire length or just the tips?
You get a spray bottle of plain water or whatever you like then spray your ends and then lightly oil the hairs then put in braid or bun. That should help.

kowlrea
August 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'd like to join ! My last major trim was May '08
I want to abstain from trimming for a year or until I get two inches past WL. At which point I will cut back to WL and not trim again for an entire year. I want to cut it in a nice U shape , fairy tale ends don't look cute on my hair type

WavyGirl
August 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Theoretically, yes. All the damaged hairs will eventually shed out, although it will take years before they are all gone. In the mean time, you might have to deal with breakage, thin ends, slow/stalling growth or even length loss if the hair breaks faster than it grows. The ends may get rough and scraggly-looking, but if you are willing to deal with this and pamper the ends all you can, then you could probably go without trims or at least only do occasional trims when it is really necessary. It also depends on how damaged your hair is, and how much time you are willing to spend on S&D. *snip*

I joined this club on the old boards. It has been a huge help for me. I went from having no real plan and doing micro-trims whenever the urge struck to 6 monthly trims. I actually managed 9 months when I first tried but didn't like my ends then. So although I do trim it's now only twice a year and because my damage is so bad. My fairytale ends are becoming much more obvious and sometimes I like them and others I still feel the need for a blunt hemline. Joining all of you has given me the opportunity to reflect on exactly what I want and can reasonably expect from my hair. I'm growing until December and then I may trim a large amount or maybe only an inch to stop more breakage. Part of me would love to stop trimming altogether but I just don't know if I can handle that in-between stage that Meli describes so well. Part of me wants to pick up the scissors every time I look in the mirror. That's the bit I'm fighting. So thanks for letting me be part of the club in my own weird way and giving me a bit of motivation to stay away from the scissors.

systemaurora
August 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm going to work on not trimming my hair until I hit 30"... then again until I hit 34"... and again at 40", then 46". After that I'll probably get it trimmed as it needs it, since 45" is my main goal. ^_^

dorothea-brooke
August 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm going to work on not trimming my hair until I hit 30"... <snip>

This is my plan, too! (Well, the first part.) I figure i'll be at waist at 29", so I'm waiting till 30" to do a 1/2" trim.

So I'm not exactly a full-fledged member of the club (cause I do plan to trim in a few months), but I'm hanging around for now! :p

Alenka
August 20th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I haven't trimmed my hair for more than two years now.
I am at waist length now, but still no trims for me.
Still dong some S&D once in a while and looking forward to get hip length, TBL and CL
I am currently thinking about letting my air grow without trims to finger tip or mid-thigh lenght, but I gues that I'll have some time left to decide.

Strongnlong
August 20th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Hi Non Trimmers,

I still haven't had a trim since February 29th of this yr! I've dusted once so lightly it's as if I didn't LOL!

The longer I go without trimming the less inclined I feel to do it. I'm retaining most of my growth and that's all I can ask for.

I keep my ends moisturized and protected and rarely let my hair out. I S&D occasionally when I get knots, but most times through oiling and DCing my knts unravel themselves.

I've scheduled a trim for March 1st 2009...I hope I change my mind by then.

Happy Hair Growing to All

jel
August 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Aisha25 explained it well, but here are a couple of good threads about misting:

Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277)

What's in your mister bottle? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1064&highlight=mister)

The longer I go without trimming the less inclined I feel to do it. I'm retaining most of my growth and that's all I can ask for.

I keep my ends moisturized and protected and rarely let my hair out. I S&D occasionally when I get knots, but most times through oiling and DCing my knts unravel themselves.

Yay, Strongnlong! :rockerdud That's the spirit... :D

n3m3sis42
August 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hi, all... I will be leaving this club temporarily. I did make it to my goal of waist, but my ends were driving me nuts. They were thinning in a very not-pretty way and I decided it was time to get a significant trim. I do love the look of the fairytale ends and natural tapers of many people in this club, but I think my length is too damaged (or maybe just too fine) to deal well with no trimming at this time. I did make it 9 months... but I have now trimmed 3 inches and plan to get regular microtrims for the next little while.

Thanks for your support while I was here, and best of luck to you all. I may be back here sometime in the future. :)

Tressie
August 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Here I am!!! I've got four more months to reach my 12 months with no trimming. This will be the second year in a row that I've only trimmed once in 12 months!
I find I have to do a ton of SD's to keep my hair workable though.... I get splits like thers no tomorrow!
Hi Stagecoach, I can fully sympathize! It must be we are hair twins, although yours is so much more long and lovely! I do S&D and always find splits, even in my shortest hairs. I try to practice good hair care, but it's split-city here!! It's been around fourteen months since my last real trim, and I'm holding out, if I can stand it!!!

zen_oven
August 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I cut my hair to chin length right after I got married in June of 2006. Got it cut again to even it out (it was a funky cut that was shorter in back than in front) right before I started my new job in late July of 2007. Then got it cut again in early may of this year to layer it around my face more. It's got a nice "shape" to it now, so I don't plan to trim at all until I hit at least BSL, and may not even trim then depending how it's looking. I'd like to get my layers evened out a bit eventually and perhaps get some long "bangs" cut so you can see my face better, but all of that's debatable. No plans for fairytale ends--I like blunt ends a lot better on my own hair (though fairytale looks lovely on some ladies).

So yeah, count me in. :D

Stagecoach
August 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Stagecoach, I can fully sympathize! It must be we are hair twins, although yours is so much more long and lovely! I do S&D and always find splits, even in my shortest hairs. I try to practice good hair care, but it's split-city here!! It's been around fourteen months since my last real trim, and I'm holding out, if I can stand it!!!

Oh yayay for a hair twin, but I do wish for your sake it wasn't this particular likeness we shared!

Anyway, since that last post I've come across Catnip tea rinses, which, while they have not stopped my splits, they have brought them down to a manegable level. I imagine I'm now getting the normal splittage instead of ten times the average amount!

Anyway, check out the catnip tea thread if your interested.

rapunzhell13
August 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I really don't want to trim, but my hair has a white dot on the end of each strand from my pixie which was cut with a razor (ugh :(). My virgin growth is perfect, it's just the ends I'm concerned about. I'm considering micro-trimming the ends of each strand (S&D without the search hehe). I know this will take me ages, but I really don't feel up to losing any length right now (or ever again probably :p).

Just venting really.

heatherainsley
August 29th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I haven't had my haircut for a year now, i dont plan to trim it till i get to waist, If i can help it.

LaurelSpring
September 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I just posted this on the "promise not to cut your hair for a year thread" but thought I would post it here also to help me with accountability, resolve and support:

I am so frustrated with loosing length at the salon that I have made a modified version of this promise to myself. At first I said never again but that was a bit unrealistic I think. I think a year would be a more realistic goal. I have been BSL forever now and I need to get some growth!

My modified promise is no salon trims and basically no trim trims, just S&D and only dusting my tassle if absolutely necessary for any splits ( I guess this could be considered S&D also?). The last time I tried Freys Self Trim I botched it and lost about another 1/2 inch trying to get it even so I cant seem to get the hang of that.

So count me in for no trims to at least August 09. Its in writing now."

I just ordered some catnip. I want to give that a try. I am hoping with time the urge to trim will diminish.

longingforlocks
September 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
After my hairdresser hacked off my hair in February (without my consent), I didn't trim until mid-August. When I went to a different salon, the hairdresser was very understanding of my frustration and used this buzzer thing to make sure that she only took off a miniscule amount.

I hope to go without a trim until at least May 2009

rapunzhell13
September 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I'm having a microtrim next weekend, but I can't bear to lose any more than that! I'm really hoping this improves my ends enough to keep me satiated. ^_^

Unnamed
September 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'll be back up to a year in 2 months--trimmed 1", and ends were uneven within a month, so...that was pointless. Might as well not have trimmed, really. :lol:

Before that, went 3 years and a month (end Sept/start of Oct 2004 trimmed 1.5").

But, yeah, since I'm about back up to a year, figure I should 'join' again kinda, as I don't have any trims planned.

Yeesha
September 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I'm planning not to cut until tailbonelength. :D (and at the moment I'm slightly past BSL...^^).
I'll make ecceptions and sometimes search for split ends and cut them off. But nothing more. :)

Wanna get there as fast as possible (my hair feels shoooort... And as a child I had that length, and I really miss it...).

Kittee
September 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I abstained today. I did not cut or trim! WOOT WOOT!

Satyria
September 8th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Can I join? I cut my hair a couple of months ago and have shoulder length now. I want my waist length back and won't trim until my hair is in really bad shape. My hair grows really slowly so this is going to be a looooong process. :mad:

bella77
September 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
count me in too. I just got hacked at the salon, went in for a trim and ended up losing over 3 inches. I did cut all my own layers off- losing 5 inches of length and now the 3 on top has brought me from halfway to BSL to 3 inches below my ears- yikes!!! I am not cutting or trimming for at least a year!

Zindell
September 9th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Edit edit edit :)

Stagecoach
September 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Well, I just had my SIL trim off 1". However I did go over a year since my last trim when I had 1&3/4" taken off at the end of another 12 months trim free. I just decided I wasn't going to rush my goal length, only to dislike my hair once it got there.

I'll probably go at least another 6 months though without trimming... if not another year. I'd actually like to now make it to knees without trimming. But again, I'll just play it by sight... I want to be happy with my ends when I get there.

Merkaba
September 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
OK, I just cut the last of those nasty ends off, so definately no trimming until January 1st at least!

It'll save money on haircuts anyways, not that I ever spent much on them ha

Morningglory
September 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM
:(I am actually sorry to report that I could not stand it anymore and I trimmed my own hair! It is still at waist and past a bit at the v but, I don't think that turned out so well. I just keep wanting to trim still because I have gone through a shedding and I have had a lot of breakage from wearing my hair up and I think sleeping on it up has caused breakage. My ends are so see through. But, I have layers I am growing out and they are almost gone and I am growing out color that is almost gone too after my trim.

So, even though I broke down and trimmed, that will be my trim for the year and I will commit to going another year before trimming again. :cheer:

freznow
September 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I was on the old thread, and for some reason I haven't seen this till now! Still non trimmer, mostly out of laziness than anything. Waiting patiently for *true* fairy tale ends (I'm never sure what counts. I've seen some that are definitely fairy tale, but I think what I have now just counts as 'taper')

Oskimosa
September 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM
I don't know if I'll ever get fairytale ends. Do they just come from breakage and damage, or do some people just have hair that grows that way, some runaway strands that make it look that way?

I have such thick coarse hair that, if that's the case, I doubt it will ever look that way. Still, I could give myself a deep V, I guess... I'll just have to wait and see. I frequently go over a year without trims. The only time I cut is to get a new style. I grow it all out, whack it all off, grow it back out, and so on...

Ms Monnie
October 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm joining. I've been trimming so often these last few months trying to KILL THE THIN KILL THE TAPER and all I'm achieving is shorter hair. My last chop did help somewhat but I'm not going to try to maintain it. I'm just going to let it grow now, it doesn't matter what my ends look like (although they are exceptionally healthy, they are wispy as hell), they're always up. I need hair long enough to sit on. I dream about it.

How do I stop myself obsessing about thinning and just enjoy having long hair?

toocurly
October 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm new here, but I'm a non trimmer from May 2008. I know it's only 5 months, but I wish I don't have to trim for a year. May 2009 is my official goal. It doesn't matter what length I'll be this time. I'm growing to BSL, but now waiting for APL. I put May 2009 as my goal, because I'm afraid that if I wouldn't I would cut it a little and a little and a little...And my curls would be the same length all the time;)

sky
October 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I just had the last of my layers trimmed away about two months ago. I have averaged one trim a year since I began growing. Maybe that's not too often?

Now I'd like to not trim again, and let those fairy-tale ends develop, but it seems I have constant mini-tangles at the tips.

I do SMT and love that! But the tangles continue.

I have had no luck at all w/ misting w/ EO (Miss Hair threw hissy fits over *that*), I use very good conditioner for my CO, and Miss Hair is good from the scalp to about one inch from the tips.

Then, Miss Hair gets all fuzzy and tangles. Tangles can be gently combed out, only to find new tangles. I never get to the point of no tangles!

I don't brush, only finger-comb or wide-tooth comb, handle it very gently at all times, especially when wet. I think I'm doing it all "right". I just want better results! :rolleyes:

It doesn't seem to matter whether I keep it up or leave it free, day or night.....it never changes! grrrrr......

I don't think I'll ever be able to do S&D.....at 24 inches, I really cannot see the tips, and my hair is dark blonde and very fine, so it's hard to see an individual hair.

.....sigh......

Do I have a hair twin here, by any chance? Someone who has succeeded at this under similar circumstances.

Thank you,
sky

HazelnutDelight
October 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I haven't had a trim in probably 2 years. My hair isn't really in great condition from the old dye and constantly wearing it down. I could really use a trim, but ever since I've been needing trims it seems like my hair is constantly the same length and it's getting kinda boring waiting for it to get longer. The length isn't showing that much either because of breakage, but it's the longest it has ever been and that's an accomplishment for me.

Robinlyn
October 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I have only been cutting once per year. I'm trying to hold out until April, but my hair is fine and looks better with a blunt hemline. But I will stay strong, I want to get to BSL very badly!!

pdy2kn6
October 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
My last trim was in 2004. At the time, I had a nice classic-length blunt-cut.

Since then, I've been letting my hair grow! I don't have a specific length goal. I'm just seeing how long my hair can get. :)
Ed

Hey Ed, I just wanted to ask you, did you get your hair cut in that certain way (back being longer than the sides) before you became a non trimmer, or has it just grown in that great natural style since you had your blunt classic cut? It looks great, does it grow faster in the back or something?

backtolonghair
October 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I"m going to do my best not to trim my hair for a whole year! My hair is a little past my chin right now and I want to get to BSL, so I"m going to attempt not to get it trimmed! I like the idea of oiling the ends and regular conditioning, so that you don't get as many splits. What's with the search and destroy split end method? I"m curious as well. Do you seek out tiny split hairs and just trim those ones with good scissors? I'm guessing that's what's you do.
Can anyone clue me in on this? Thanks!
:)

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM
What's with the search and destroy split end method? I"m curious as well. Do you seek out tiny split hairs and just trim those ones with good scissors? I'm guessing that's what's you do.
Can anyone clue me in on this? Thanks!
:)

That's exactly what you do. Little white dots and broken ends, too. :)

robinjoy68
October 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Wow....inch and half is amazing! That is so cool.

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm not triming until I reach my goal of 42 inches (which on my 5' 1/2" tall, short wasted person is juuuuust past my rear). THEN I'll trim to even out the edges and maintain that length. I have some dye damage that I'm just going to leave there and let it sloooooowly get trimmed off. I'm not sacrificing ANY MORE LENGTH!!!!

HazelnutDelight
October 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I have not had a trim since about two years. I think it's impressive since there are a lot of people that believe you must always trim to have nice hair, but if you learn how to take care of it you can manage with just taking off split ends.

Sammybunny711
October 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM
Well, I will not trim until my hair is maybe bsl or something. I don't like trimming it for "health" because my hair is very strong and rarely gets split ends. The only reason I could foresee trimming would be to even out the ends a little as I don't really care for fairy tale ends (for ME!)

Tressie
October 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
Still not trimming here! Just S&D. What always amazed me was that sylists would tell me my hair would grow faster if I trimmed it? Doesn't hair grown out of your scalp? I can't for the life of me see why cutting the ends would stimulated the scalp at all??? Nope, sorry!!

peachy.pudding
October 21st, 2008, 07:02 AM
I am now on a two year no trim plan, i am so determined not to cut until i reach my goal.

Juanita
October 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
Coming up for 2 years since I last colourd my hair and last had it cut. I do occasional s&d but not too often. Most people are saying that my grey hair colour is pretty.

ale
October 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM
Haha, I quit S&D too! Last time I trimmed it was because I was obsessed with split ends, and regretted that couple of inches lost; now I decided not to care about splits, as I know I will never manage to get rid of all of them.
I think this qualifies me as an "hardcore non-trimmer"...?

Garnet66
October 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Can I join? My last haircut was in April. I plan on not cutting it until late 2009. I'm hoping to shoulder length by then. I can't believe I've made it this far this time around. I usually would've cut by now.

Sammybunny711
November 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM
No trims until my hair reaches BSL probably! WOOHOO! My hair seems to be pretty strong and doesn't need regular trims!

MerryKat
November 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Made it a full year with no trims, just periodic S&C - September 07 to September 08.

Went from Armpit (23') to Lower Back (29') during this year.

By the end of September 08, no amount of S&C seemed to resolve the tangles in the layers and the ends. I took me and my mane off to my hair dresser and got her to trim the ends and even out the layers - this cost me about 1' - and my hair feels fantastic.

I am planning to go another year before trimming again - end September 2009. If this gives me the 6' I got last year I will be past waist and heading towards hip.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 10th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Kewl! I have not rimmed or cut for over one year also! My mom insists I need it, but she is not a fan of long hair anyway:)

Vitalai
November 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I'm not trimming my hair until my hair reaches BSL. I will have to trim my bangs though.

Gabbie
November 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Can I join? I had my hair cut Nov. 11 to chin length. Now all of the damage is gone and it is all one length. I plan on not having any trims for at least one year. I would like to go much longer. I would like to see just how long my hair can get.

Iskreth
November 19th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I stopped trimming long ago (twenty years or so, maybe longer), and I just let my split ends do whatever they want, so call me another hardcore non-trimmer. I haven't had my hair actually cut in twenty-three years. Sadly, that means I don't get to monitor and report on my growth, since my hair hit terminal length a very long time ago (sigh). But hey, yay to not trimming!

mugglemomof3
November 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I almost had to give up this thread yesterday! I started to do a S&D and found oh so many darn splits. *big, sad sigh* I'm like 1" away from my goal of waist and that's one reason I decided to not trim this entire year, but my hair is shot. Damn coloring I just had to do last year/earlier this year. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was even headed to the salon to get it all cut back to just above BSL (which would get rid of tons of damage and all my stupid layers) but the thought of losing "long" hair makes me so sad.

I love the way my hair feels when it brushes against the back of my arms or touches my thigs! I've been amazed at the sight of my ends peeking out around my shoulder when I turn quickly! And with the shine of a flash, my hair looks so shiney and healthy in the photos I take! I've been bewitched by my own hair! :twisted:

So I turned the car around and went shopping instead. Whew, that was a close call.

I ended up doing a twenty-minute S&D last night and will do another one today and hopefully tomorrow. My hair may not be all one length - it may have breakage and splits galore, and it's not really healthy, but it's long damnit and I want to keep it that way!!

THANK YOU NO TRIMMING CLUB! :cheese::D :cool:

OhioLisa
November 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Ok, so I caved back in August. DBF trimmed me. But, I have no plans to do so again anytime soon, so I guess I am back in the club. :D At least I went 20 months without one. ;)

mugglemomof3
November 20th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Ok, so I caved back in August. DBF trimmed me. But, I have no plans to do so again anytime soon, so I guess I am back in the club. :D At least I went 20 months without one. ;)

In my eyes, 20 months is a lifetime, so yeah, I think that counts! :D

DarkSeraphim
November 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Hi All,
I am new here, i found this site due to frantic searching of the internet for remedies for damaged hair and natural ways to removal hair dye. I got some great tips, So cheers everybody!!

I have always had really long hair since i was a kid but color and experimenting with bleach killed my hair so i cut about 8 inches off!!! I HATED it.. but it has grown a bit since then so not so bad but i just down feel myself without the long hair, weird how a bad haircut can knock your confidence.

I am totally on board with this "no trims club" i desperately want my long hair back that the thought of cuting even an inch off makes me cringe.

Once my hair is down to the end of my back, i will then trim off each inch that grows after that to get rid of the rest of the straw like damaged ends.. for now i am happy to leave the damaged ends alone just to keep the bit of lenght i do have.

aries
November 20th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I think I am going to get one small trim before 2009 and then go no trims for 12 months and see how my hair does. If it does good and looks ok, I will continue on another 12 and see what happens. I have never done this before and am very curious, thanks to advice of some others, to see what my hair will look like.

tiggens
November 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I am going to try and grit my teeth through the awkwardness and grow out my pixie without trimming. I will definitely need support though! I had a trim 3 weeks ago and definitely regret having it done. From here on, the 'mullet' will be referred to as 'the shag' or perhaps 'mull-ay' said in a french accent.

plainjanegirl
November 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I have not had a trim since probably February or March. What do you all do for your ends though?

Boots
November 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Count me in. I'm going to try to hang in until waist (between apl and bsl now).

OhioLisa
November 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have not had a trim since probably February or March. What do you all do for your ends though?

Most just S&D the splits and let the ends fairytale naturally.

rapunzhell13
November 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Sign me up for a year. :)

plainjanegirl
November 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM
Most just S&D the splits and let the ends fairytale naturally.

No I just meant cause when I don't trim the ends then they get more dry.

jel
November 21st, 2008, 08:25 AM
No I just meant cause when I don't trim the ends then they get more dry.

Mist and oil, damp bun, use a leave-in balm or conditioner - there are plenty of ways to pamper uncut ends... :D

Something I do almost daily (well, nightly, actually) is dampen my sleep braid tassel with plain water (some people prefer to use distilled) then apply a few drops of olive oil. In the morning I have beautiful, soft ends! :rockerdud

OhioLisa
November 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
I agree with jel. I think the best thing I have found to prevent dry ends is oiling my ends before putting into my daily updo. That way the (coconut) oil can soak in all day long and my ends stay happy and soft.

LaurelSpring
November 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Finally! My taper is past BSL! No trimming really works. I dont even think about or obsess about trims anymore. Thanksgiving is the new moon so I will do some S&D that day and then put the scissors away. :cheese: