View Full Version : Disc Sock Bun Tutorial: with Video

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2015, 03:31 PM
I hope you guys like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kRBAofEBmsQ

http://imageshack.us/a/img537/8611/Qcjzr4.jpg

cutekitty
June 1st, 2015, 03:59 PM
Oh, that's a neat idea! And what an awesome-looking bun, especially the one on the picture. Thanks for the tutorial!

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2015, 04:05 PM
Thank you! It looks better when I can take my time and use a mirror at the end to check for sock showing. I didn't say on the video that you go with the stick completely under the sock, not through it.

Elly May
June 1st, 2015, 04:22 PM
Great video! I got it on the first try. I had to use a child's sock and double it to work in my thin, fine hair, but it looks pretty good and feels quite stable and comfortable:o. Thanks for making a clear, easy to follow video!

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2015, 04:43 PM
This would probably also work well with a scrunchie. I try to flatten each of the two strands so it will cover the sock completely. Actually, perfectionist me can zoom in on my picture and in the very center between to two bottom parts of the loops can find a tiny triangle of sock showing.

Elly May, thank you so much! It's one of my first videos.

My teen will probably want to take credit for the photography. And for helping me start a youtube channel.

AZDesertRose
June 1st, 2015, 05:01 PM
I don't have enough length for this yet (a little longer than APL right now), but I will definitely try this again when my hair is longer.

Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Taenarian
June 1st, 2015, 05:13 PM
Hey that's really fine, thanks for that.

proo
June 1st, 2015, 05:50 PM
Brilliant -
many thanks

Wildcat Diva
June 2nd, 2015, 08:29 AM
You're welcome. I also found the bun to be very comfortable, especially when I did it higher up. I think this is a good way for a ii to get a bigger bun for sure.

LauraLongLocks
June 6th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I like this idea. I noticed when you take the second piece of hair and wrap it over your thumb, you bring it OVER your three fingers that were previously wrapped over by the first piece of hair. I always go under those three fingers with my second piece of hair. I'll try it your way and see how it works for me.

CoveredByLove
June 6th, 2015, 12:41 PM
This is awesome! Thank you so much for this, WildcatDiva! I'm going to go try this, like now! :lol: I'm at APL dry/curly and I sooo wish my buns looked bigger. :( I usually do "messy" buns by only pulling my hair halfway through the ponytail holder the last time and leave my ends out. This makes it look bigger. One day I'll be able to do all those fancy buns. :)
More videos please! :D

Wildcat Diva
June 6th, 2015, 01:00 PM
I'm so glad you liked it!

And more videos? I think I can do one for the regular lazy wrap bun with the sock.
I think I can also do an orchid bun tutorial.
I have too many big hairtoys to not have a few tricks to make my buns fill them out.

I wore this disc bun last night for a little bit, but I had a little problem. The sock was showing through and I couldn't tell until a picture was shot. I'll upload a pic.

http://imageshack.us/a/img538/5033/tKcBoM.jpg

CoveredByLove
June 6th, 2015, 01:06 PM
YAY! :cheer: I need more ideas on how to make my wimpy buns look better! :lol: I definitely wanna see the lazy wrap w/sock and orchid bun. I still can't figure how to do an orchid bun. I need visuals :lol:

Wildcat Diva
June 6th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Can do! I'm on a weekend vacation right now but when I return home I'll see about MOAR videos real soon.

maria_asa
June 24th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Thanks for posting this. As an i I'm always looking for ways to make my buns look bigger.

Wildcat Diva
June 24th, 2015, 07:31 AM
You're welcome!

I found that the sock I'm using is pretty big. I'm going to make a smaller version of the sock ending up with a smaller donut that is easier for my hair to cover.

Wildcat Diva
June 24th, 2015, 07:34 AM
YAY! :cheer: I need more ideas on how to make my wimpy buns look better! :lol: I definitely wanna see the lazy wrap w/sock and orchid bun. I still can't figure how to do an orchid bun. I need visuals :lol:

Here is the orchid bun vid you asked for:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D5quFAfIAb8

Neecola
June 24th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Wow, what a great idea to use the sock with the disc bun! I'm definitely trying this. Thanks Wildcat Diva!

Just watched your orchid bun video... not sure if I have enough length but the video was very clear. Also enjoyed the aesthetics: pretty background plants, your lovely bright pink shirt, drizzling rain and of course, your curly/wavy hair. Thanks!

Wildcat Diva
June 24th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Oh I am glad you liked it. People commented that it was my yard, but it is the grounds of the Catholic Church next door to me! Very pretty floral walkway, bench, and statue. :)

maria_asa
June 25th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Here's my attempt at it (sorry for the bad picture, my camera didn't want to cooperate so I had to use my phone instead):

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o33/maria_asa/4f0532c6-fc8e-4e83-8240-1d3417090c13_zpsvi1zqlnq.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/maria_asa/media/4f0532c6-fc8e-4e83-8240-1d3417090c13_zpsvi1zqlnq.jpg.html)

So far it holds up very well and I like it a lot. It kind of looks like when I make a Chinese bun, just less tiny. ;)

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2015, 12:18 AM
Ooooohhh Maria Asa! That looks great! Yes I am with you on the Chinese Bun thing. Here is my bun I was able to make tonight. I actually still have to do a few tries to succeed sometimes.http://imageshack.us/a/img908/6661/0IecH8.jpg

LadyLong
June 26th, 2015, 01:33 AM
WildcatDiva, saw your video, beautiful setting and so is your hair.

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2015, 02:36 AM
Aw thank you very much!

Neecola
June 29th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I tried this using a scrunchie that matched my hair color instead of a sock and it worked great! Thank you!

Wusel
June 29th, 2015, 01:11 PM
This would probably also work well with a scrunchie. I try to flatten each of the two strands so it will cover the sock completely. Actually, perfectionist me can zoom in on my picture and in the very center between to two bottom parts of the loops can find a tiny triangle of sock showing.

Elly May, thank you so much! It's one of my first videos.

My teen will probably want to take credit for the photography. And for helping me start a youtube channel.

Am I blind? I zoom the hell out of my display card but I don't see the sock triangle. :D :D :D IT'S PERFECT! :) :) :) I love it! At APL and thick hair I can't do it but I definitely will when my hair is longer. THANK YOU! GREAT VIDEO!

lapushka
June 29th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Great way to do a bun, WD! Thanks for posting.

Aaroo
June 29th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I should try it! Thanks for making the video.

Wildcat Diva
June 29th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Yay! Thank you guys for liking it!
I have been doing this bun often so I can wear my long sticks.

I do it backwards now, like the thumb wrap side first, then the finger wrap side second. For some weird reason I like to switch sides of the finger and thumb at the very end of the bun making, and insert stick from the left side: weird! Also, I pinch that little hard to cover triangle area together (it's there, I promise!) and mini-spin pin it closed.

Wildcat Diva
August 23rd, 2015, 05:54 PM
I used a smaller bunformer and was able to do a Gibraltar bun now with this method.
http://imageshack.us/a/img661/7268/4qCgsF.jpg

velorutionista
August 27th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Secret sock buns!!! This is genius! I will be trying all of these when I get home tonight!

Wildcat Diva
October 24th, 2015, 05:00 AM
Some of you were asking for more videos upthread. I did another one, but it has nothing to do with socks. It's a tweak with LWB.
I made a video that highlights a tweak that makes the LWB more secure for me.
I DO think it can make a bun look bigger because you do a several finger big wrap first for effect and then the underneath wraps around the plunked down first finger are what you concentrate on sticking or forking for entry. I exit out of one of the inner wraps too (I feel for one with my left fingers whist forking for the exit and meet my fingers to the fork). I think on a fork with fatter tines I might need to wrap two fingers for the inner wraps instead of one, or just try to make the inner wraps a tad looser than I do in my video.

Then, after the business is done with the inner wraps and the fork, the very first bigger loops just get to poof out there and look pouty when it's done right. My finished bun in the video is not the best because the top loop is not pulled down to hide the guts of the inner LWB, but at least you can kinda see what I am doing. MAD props to my teenage son videographer, who did just what I wanted to show the effect on camera by moving closer at the right angle pretty much.

I'll just leave the link here in case anyone wanted to see it, and bump this thread at the same time.

Sorry that there are a lot a wind sounds in my video. I did it yesterday (again at the church across the street) and we have a storm coming in.

My hair was needing washed and it's pretty well oiled at the end of the week, but that's the best time for me to do hair videos because my hair behaves better for a bun.

Now, the finished result is not the prettiest bun ever as I could have pulled down the top loop more, but I needed to leave it up to show what I was doing.

I hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGKFNuz7OA&feature=youtu.be

Neecola
October 28th, 2015, 11:20 AM
That's a neat trick, Wildcat. Very easy to see what you were doing, nice and clear (thumbs up to your son). Also, why have I never thought to hang my fork from my shirt collar instead of holding it in my mouth?