PDA

View Full Version : Need shampoo suggestions please!

snowyx
June 1st, 2015, 05:35 AM
Hello everyone,

So like the title says, I would like some shampoo suggestions.

I am looking for a shampoo that is gentle enough to use everyday. I was leaning towards lush shampoo bars because of the conveniency, but all of them have a high amount of sulphates. I'm not sure if this is good to use everyday. I don't like my hair to feel 'squeaky clean' after washing.

I read great reviews about the tresemme naturals shampoo. What do you think about this?

Also, I can only afford drugstore shampoos!

Thank you so much for your help,

snowy

Angel_Abby
June 1st, 2015, 06:31 AM
I use a diluted (half and half) Suave daily clarifying every other day. I could use it every day though- my scalp likes it. I'm just lazy with washes.

lapushka
June 1st, 2015, 07:00 AM
In the US you can get Suave, that is a sulfate shampoo too, but it costs practically nothing! I'd get at least a bottle to maybe clarify-wash with. Then maybe get yourself a sulfate-free shampoo. L'oreal Eversleek (or what is it called) is sulfate-free, I think.

Nique1202
June 1st, 2015, 07:07 AM
As long as you're conditioning the length afterwards to restore the oils that get stripped out, any shampoo can be used every day if your hair needs washing every day, especially if you only apply the shampoo from the shoulders up and just let the shampoo wash the length as it rinses out. Stronger shampoos often help to stretch washes further, because they get more of the sebum off the scalp, if that's a thing you might like to do.

The best shampoo for you depends on how much sebum you're producing every day that you need to get out, and the texture of it. You could try the Tresemme Naturals if you want, and if they work, then that's great, but if you need something stronger or if you just really like the Lush shampoo bars, then don't feel bad about doing that. I got all the way from pixie to waist using Lush shampoo bars at every wash. I switched to Herbal Essences at that point only because I ran out of shampoo bars from my former hoard, and the HE was on sale.

Caraid♫
June 1st, 2015, 08:03 AM
Everyone seems to have a different favorite brand that works for them, but I'll tell you my personal fav is dove- All the flavours smell amazing and it doesn't leave any build-up behind for me!

Anje
June 1st, 2015, 08:45 AM
I use a diluted (half and half) Suave daily clarifying every other day. I could use it every day though- my scalp likes it. I'm just lazy with washes.

I've also been using diluted Suave lately. I think I've got the aloe & waterlily variety, and it's gotta be diluted at least 8:1 right now, though that'll likely change when I move next week and have different water. I just squirt it directly from the bottle onto my scalp, because it's too runny for anything else.

My scalp is kinda funny in that the more I dry it out, the more oil it produces. Which means I wash it more and then it dries out more and gets oily faster and faster.... (If there's a term for skin and scalp that does this, I don't know it. So I've been calling it "reactive skin" for years. Not everyone is like this, but those who are can really benefit from gentler cleansing and often more moisturizing, both on the skin and the scalp.) It's easy to get into cycles, and I recently caught myself in one. So I went back to diluted shampoo. Some of it might by my seasonal variations in oiliness, but I think I've added about 2 days to my wash schedule since I started diluting it, washing when it starts to look like it needs it.

lapushka
June 1st, 2015, 08:49 AM
I myself am a Pantene and Herbal Essences user. I also like Garnier Ultra Doux (aka Ultimate Blends) and some Fructis products, like the Triple Nutrition conditioner. I love Pantene Aqua Light shampoo, it is my fave! I also love their volumizing one and clarifying one. All sulfates but no silicones.

snowyx
June 1st, 2015, 09:36 AM
As long as you're conditioning the length afterwards to restore the oils that get stripped out, any shampoo can be used every day if your hair needs washing every day, especially if you only apply the shampoo from the shoulders up and just let the shampoo wash the length as it rinses out. Stronger shampoos often help to stretch washes further, because they get more of the sebum off the scalp, if that's a thing you might like to do.

The best shampoo for you depends on how much sebum you're producing every day that you need to get out, and the texture of it. You could try the Tresemme Naturals if you want, and if they work, then that's great, but if you need something stronger or if you just really like the Lush shampoo bars, then don't feel bad about doing that. I got all the way from pixie to waist using Lush shampoo bars at every wash. I switched to Herbal Essences at that point only because I ran out of shampoo bars from my former hoard, and the HE was on sale.

Thanks for your input! I am washing everyday now because I have added to my workout routine, and I have lots of sweat in my hair. I don't like the feeling at all, so I wash. My scalp doesn't get oil that fast, though. Last winter I wasn't exercising as much and I only washed twice a week. Can I ask what shampoo bar you used from Lush?

endlessly
June 1st, 2015, 09:52 AM
I've found 'Jason and the Argan Oil', 'Godiva', and 'Karma Komba' to be the gentlest of Lush shampoo bars for my hair type. But you could also try their liquid shampoo, 'Fairly Traded Honey' as well since it's also very moisturizing, I've used that one daily without a problem.

snowyx
June 1st, 2015, 09:55 AM
I myself am a Pantene and Herbal Essences user. I also like Garnier Ultra Doux (aka Ultimate Blends) and some Fructis products, like the Triple Nutrition conditioner. I love Pantene Aqua Light shampoo, it is my fave! I also love their volumizing one and clarifying one. All sulfates but no silicones.

Thank you! There are so many to choose from. I tried the conditioner 'hello hydration' by herbal essences and it was great, but I don't know how the shampoo is. I also saw that they sell a cleansing condish. Maybe that is another way to go?

This is so complicated. Way too many products, and I am terribly indecisive.

Anje
June 1st, 2015, 10:12 AM
I'm of the (perhaps unpopular) opinion that shampoo is pretty much shampoo. Some are a little more cleansing, some are a little less, but that's basically all there is to it. My route is to buy one that's more cleansing and then dilute it down to the level of cleaning that I need, and if I get buildup, I clarify with it full-strength. Most of the varieties exist because lots of people feel they need to match their conditioner and shampoo, and so they buy both. My :twocents:

Nique1202
June 1st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your input! I am washing everyday now because I have added to my workout routine, and I have lots of sweat in my hair. I don't like the feeling at all, so I wash. My scalp doesn't get oil that fast, though. Last winter I wasn't exercising as much and I only washed twice a week. Can I ask what shampoo bar you used from Lush?

Yeah, the portability of a shampoo bar/puck makes a lot of sense then, especially if you're showering at the gym! I've used lots of them. I've used Karma Komba, Jumping Juniper, NEW!, Godiva, Seanik, Soak And Float, and Squeaky Green. Godiva didn't last as long as the others and I didn't really notice any difference in my need for conditioner, and Seanik has sea salt which can be a little extra-drying but helps give that beach-wave volume if you air dry. The cinnamon stick on NEW! and the herbs in Squeaky Green got snagged on my hair all the time. I pried the cinnamon stick out of NEW! but the squeaky green, I just had to rub it in the same direction as my hair grows so it wouldn't catch as much. The herbs and oils don't make much difference one way or another to hair, just pick something you like the smell of and go with it.

If you get one of their tins to transport the thing, I recommend taking a small screwdriver (if you have one of them that's just for poking holes, that's even better) and a hammer and poking a little hole on top and on the bottom for drainage and air flow so the thing can actually dry out if it's closed. Otherwise water can melt them into sludge inside the can, which is still usable as shampoo but it's not as nice as a clean, shapely puck.

lapushka
June 1st, 2015, 10:29 AM
Thank you! There are so many to choose from. I tried the conditioner 'hello hydration' by herbal essences and it was great, but I don't know how the shampoo is. I also saw that they sell a cleansing condish. Maybe that is another way to go?

I actually don't get the Herbal Essences HH shampoo. I think it might have silicones but I'm not sure, and I stick with "sulfates, but no silicones" shampoos, as they can also be used to clarify with and it happens regularly for me (weekly).

I also agree with Anje that shampoo is just shampoo, so I would go with the cheapest sulfate containing shampoo that doesn't have silicones in it. Unless you want the silicones in the shampoo (personally, I wouldn't do it).

snowyx
June 1st, 2015, 10:54 AM
I'm of the (perhaps unpopular) opinion that shampoo is pretty much shampoo. Some are a little more cleansing, some are a little less, but that's basically all there is to it. My route is to buy one that's more cleansing and then dilute it down to the level of cleaning that I need, and if I get buildup, I clarify with it full-strength. Most of the varieties exist because lots of people feel they need to match their conditioner and shampoo, and so they buy both. My :twocents:

Thank you, Anje! I think I will try some cheap shampoo's such as suave (the wild cherry blossom caught my eye), and see how it goes. I can throw the shampoo away if I don't like it, and I wouldn't feel too bad about it because of the price. I wonder if I used a 2 in 1 on my scalp as a shampoo, and used my regular conditioner on the bottom half of my hair? Do you think that would be a good idea, or would it cause build up?

lapushka
June 1st, 2015, 11:18 AM
Do you think that would be a good idea, or would it cause build up?

Depends on how many silicones are in there and what kind of silicones they are (water soluble or no). In any case clarifying once in a while can't hurt but you'll have to make sure your shampoo doesn't contain silicones for that. So you'll need at least two with that scenario.

snowyx
June 1st, 2015, 11:28 AM
Depends on how many silicones are in there and what kind of silicones they are (water soluble or no). In any case clarifying once in a while can't hurt but you'll have to make sure your shampoo doesn't contain silicones for that. So you'll need at least two with that scenario.

Thank you. I will get a cheap shampoo that smells good :)

Frankenstein
June 1st, 2015, 11:30 AM
I use Suave Sea Mineral and also Keratin Infusion. They're pretty gentle and only contain one sulfate, I believe.

Anje
June 1st, 2015, 11:42 AM
Thank you, Anje! I think I will try some cheap shampoo's such as suave (the wild cherry blossom caught my eye), and see how it goes. I can throw the shampoo away if I don't like it, and I wouldn't feel too bad about it because of the price. I wonder if I used a 2 in 1 on my scalp as a shampoo, and used my regular conditioner on the bottom half of my hair? Do you think that would be a good idea, or would it cause build up?

It might, but as Lapushka says, the difference is mainly silicones -- 2-in-1 products have quite a few of them. Some people do great with 'cones. I'm OK with some and others cause me problems. So I just use a normal shampoo, and ordinarily just on my scalp. Every couple weeks, I'll squirt a bit on the length too. When I do serious clarifying, I make sure I concentrate on shampooing the length, because that's where the buildup is most apparent.

I mainly condition the length, but my scalp gets dry if I don't sometimes put some condish on it. Some people get shedding or get oily quickly if they let conditioner touch their scalp, so pay attention and figure out what's best for you.

arr
June 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
Just an idea, but if a shampoo doesnt work for you, you can use it as a body wash. Then you dont have to feel bad about wasting money. I do it all the time. And you can use a conditioner as shaving cream.

snowyx
June 1st, 2015, 11:31 PM
Just an idea, but if a shampoo doesnt work for you, you can use it as a body wash. Then you dont have to feel bad about wasting money. I do it all the time. And you can use a conditioner as shaving cream.

Thank you! I haven't thought about that. I will definitely try this.

Foxy Red
June 4th, 2015, 02:49 AM
Are Hask products within your price range? The shampoo is free of sulfates, parabens, alcohol and gluten (yes, really). I started using their Argan oil shampoo and conditioner last Monday and for the first time in a really long time my hair is really soft and the ends don't feel dried out. I suspect that sulfates strip too much moisture from my hair.

Maybe my body just doesn't like sulfates. My face improved considerably after switching from commercial skincare products to OCM. (Even the ones for sensitive skin were too harsh, and left my face looking a bit raw.)

vpatt
June 4th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I have been using a homemade bar of coconut oil soap and a vinegar/water rinse. I often oil the ends before shampooing. I have an assortment of oils......Jamaican black castor oil, Jamaican black castor oil hair food, plain old organic hexane free castor oil and coconut oil. Sometimes I mix them all together.

chloecalls4
June 4th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Throwing this in: I just started using shampoo again after 3 years of CO washing and one year of clay washing (rhassoul clay). I am using Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo and rather like it. I do dilute it: one squirt (or enough to cover the bottom of an applicator bottle) of shampoo, ~2oz. of conditioner (Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle) and 4oz. water. It's been working great so far: soft hair, smooth ends plus no major breakage.

I wash between once-twice a week.

Larki
June 4th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Throwing this in: I just started using shampoo again after 3 years of CO washing and one year of clay washing (rhassoul clay). I am using Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo and rather like it. I do dilute it: one squirt (or enough to cover the bottom of an applicator bottle) of shampoo, ~2oz. of conditioner (Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle) and 4oz. water. It's been working great so far: soft hair, smooth ends plus no major breakage.

I wash between once-twice a week.
Can I ask why you switched back to shampoo?

chloecalls4
June 4th, 2015, 04:33 PM

of course! mostly out of boredom and/or to do something different. and i notice i get a straighter / sleeker blow-dry when i use shampoo.

as a bit of background: when i co-washed i was wearing my hair curly. i started doing clay washes due to recos and i noticed it helped when i decided to blow-dry my hair vs. air dry and leave curly. when i was co-washing i developed a severely itchy crown area. it went away when i started doing clay washes. i will admit i NEVER clarified (pre-hair care forums). when i did clay washes, i think my mix was too heavy -- i think it attributed to some really bad breakage in random areas (as in patches). no bueno.

things seem to have leveled out since using shampoo so i'll stick with it until i notice negative changes but so far, seems to be working. (should i decide to wear my hair curly again, i'd do a rhassoul clay wash as that really helps bring out the curls).

chloecalls4
June 4th, 2015, 04:34 PM

of course! mostly out of boredom and/or to do something different. and i notice i get a straighter / sleeker blow-dry when i use shampoo.

as a bit of background: when i co-washed i was wearing my hair curly. i started doing clay washes due to recos and i noticed it helped when i decided to blow-dry my hair vs. air dry and leave curly. when i was co-washing i developed a severely itchy crown area. it went away when i started doing clay washes. i will admit i NEVER clarified (pre-hair care forums). when i did clay washes, i think my mix was too heavy -- i think it attributed to some really bad breakage in random areas (as in patches). no bueno.

things seem to have leveled out since using shampoo so i'll stick with it until i notice negative changes but so far, seems to be working. (should i decide to wear my hair curly again, i'd do a rhassoul clay wash as that really helps bring out the curls).

Nadine <3
June 4th, 2015, 05:03 PM
I switch between pantene, Suave, and tresseme naturals. I have a small hoard of shampoo and conditioner to choose from and I pick based on how my hair feels and what smell I'm in the mood for.

amanda_the_tall
June 4th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I love suave, and trader joes tea tree tingle shampoo! The trader joes is fantastic, doesn't have sulfates but cleans amazingly. (As in it takes off even the most stubborn cones for me). I switch to suave when I get bored of the peppermint scent. I'm a daily washer and TJ TTT hasn't done me wrong, I've been using it for a good year and a half now.