PDA

View Full Version : To continue S&D'ing or cut off a lot of length ... help!

Rapunzel_to_be
May 31st, 2015, 03:03 PM
Hey guys

So I have a dilemma, I've been S&D'ing for a month now, maybe done it 5-6 times ( and those times I've stood there for at least an hour cutting off damaged hair.. ) so basically every time I S&D I get a sink full ( like it gets covered) of split ends and white dots.. I do see improvement, like now I do not find damaged hair as easily as before, but I still find them.. but I also have a lot of hair that is not damaged (I had a big trim maybe a little over 2 months ago or so, plus on top of that I cut short layers) So basically I was thinking can I avoid cutting off a lot of length and just continue to S&D or should I cut ? The thing is I had some highlights done almost a year ago and since I was also flat ironing my hair, especially the highlighted parts are very damaged, and I have a feeling that although I cut off the split ends on those parts, they will continue to break or split with time, or am I wrong ?

I really do not want to cut off any of my length, because Im not using any heat anymore and if I do cut it short I know I will have to flat iron again because I don't really like my natural hair when it is in a shorter length, so basically if I have to cut it off I will have to wear it up all the time until it grows back.

lapushka
May 31st, 2015, 03:12 PM
If about half of the hair is bad (white dots or splits), then it's better to trim, because you'll lose so much density, you'll have to cut back a huge amount. My hair was hip length and riddled with white dots (no splits), my mom went full S&D on it and cut all the white dots off (several sessions). My hair was *so* thin, so we had to cut it back to BSL.

Ephemia
May 31st, 2015, 03:14 PM
If you've got the patience to S and D it all out, I say go for it. Reading your post, it seems to me like you've answered your own question and that S and D-ing it all out is what you'd prefer to do. I myself have a head full of an assortment of different splits, and I'm trying to spend an hour most mornings working through them. For me, there's no other option. I can't really start microtrimming yet because it would make my hair look very odd loose, and right now I can't even plait my own hair comfortably, let alone do any updos.

That hair that's had all the processing is probably more fragile than the rest, and yes, you might find more splits pop up there. But I don't see why you should have to lose length because of that.

Rapunzel_to_be
May 31st, 2015, 03:33 PM
If about half of the hair is bad (white dots or splits), then it's better to trim, because you'll lose so much density, you'll have to cut back a huge amount. My hair was hip length and riddled with white dots (no splits), my mom went full S&D on it and cut all the white dots off (several sessions). My hair was *so* thin, so we had to cut it back to BSL.

Yes I was also worried about the thinning in the ends part, but I wouldn't say its half of the hair, it is more like 40-30% damaged, maybe closer to 30% .. and wow I would have been so sad if I had hip length and having to cut it to bsl! :eek:But I know your hair is long now so it was probably worth it growing it out healthy and long :D

If you've got the patience to S and D it all out, I say go for it. Reading your post, it seems to me like you've answered your own question and that S and D-ing it all out is what you'd prefer to do. I myself have a head full of an assortment of different splits, and I'm trying to spend an hour most mornings working through them. For me, there's no other option. I can't really start microtrimming yet because it would make my hair look very odd loose, and right now I can't even plait my own hair comfortably, let alone do any updos.

That hair that's had all the processing is probably more fragile than the rest, and yes, you might find more splits pop up there. But I don't see why you should have to lose length because of that.

Ok so I think I will continue S&D'ing, and maybe start micro trimming in a few months or so.. I'm sad that the highlighted parts will most likely continue splitting until I've grown them all out.. but I guess thats a lesson learned for next time, never highlighting my hair ever again!

Ephemia
May 31st, 2015, 03:38 PM
I could be wrong about that, so don't take it as the gospel. :) I just wouldn't be surprised if those bits were a little more prone to splitting than the rest. You might not notice much difference. But yes, probably best not to highlight it again!

lapushka
May 31st, 2015, 03:42 PM
Yes I was also worried about the thinning in the ends part, but I wouldn't say its half of the hair, it is more like 40-30% damaged, maybe closer to 30% .. and wow I would have been so sad if I had hip length and having to cut it to bsl! :eek:But I know your hair is long now so it was probably worth it growing it out healthy and long :D

If I was to do it over. I would definitely start with the S&D part again. I didn't "just" have that trim. I had it after extensive S&D sessions. Your S&D sessions might end up fine with not too bad of a thinning on your ends. So... go for it. :thumbsup:

And yes, that was a long time ago, when I still had perm damage in my hair!

Ephemia
May 31st, 2015, 03:47 PM
I haven't seen any definite thinning of my hair, but my ends were already very thin and I feel like any further thinning will probably be for the better in the long run. I'm still getting compliments, so it clearly doesn't look bad.

Nightshade
May 31st, 2015, 03:48 PM
Could you do microtrimming and S&D? That helped me a lot when I was growing out my damage (see article in siggy) :)

Rapunzel_to_be
May 31st, 2015, 04:02 PM
If I was to do it over. I would definitely start with the S&D part again. I didn't "just" have that trim. I had it after extensive S&D sessions. Your S&D sessions might end up fine with not too bad of a thinning on your ends. So... go for it. :thumbsup:

And yes, that was a long time ago, when I still had perm damage in my hair!

I hope so!! I will continue and hopefull avoid a big chop off! :D

I could be wrong about that, so don't take it as the gospel. :) I just wouldn't be surprised if those bits were a little more prone to splitting than the rest. You might not notice much difference. But yes, probably best not to highlight it again!

I also think so, because they look so fragile.. but since Im not using heat and im also careful when brushing etc, hopefully they won't split further.. so lets hope we are wrong on that part ! :p :D

Rapunzel_to_be
May 31st, 2015, 04:03 PM
Could you do microtrimming and S&D? That helped me a lot when I was growing out my damage (see article in siggy) :)

I will try doing that as well, I just want it to grow a liiiitle bit longer before I start microtrimming, but I will do it soon, I think that will be the best solution! :D

Nightshade
May 31st, 2015, 04:13 PM
I will try doing that as well, I just want it to grow a liiiitle bit longer before I start microtrimming, but I will do it soon, I think that will be the best solution! :D

When I did it, I cut half my growth a month, so I kept inching down, too ^_^

Rapunzel_to_be
June 1st, 2015, 01:00 AM
When I did it, I cut half my growth a month, so I kept inching down, too ^_^

Sounds like a good idea!! I will do so as well :D

Horrorpops
June 1st, 2015, 03:09 AM
Man, this is totally my current dilemma as well. Currently clarifying, S&Ds and deep treatments aren't helping but coconut oil treatments pre and post wash is doing some good. Especially putting in a small amount of the oil on wet hair after a shower. It has made it a little slipperier which is good.
Might try a chelating treatment and if it helps me I'll let you know!
Hopefully S&Ding will help your ends out, it is so annoying to chop! Good luck :)

ChloeDharma
June 1st, 2015, 06:51 AM
I did something similar to Nightshade. I would trim off as little as a quarter of an inch every three months but S&D as well. Keeping my hair oiled and in a contained style helped protect my hair and reduce splits in the mean time but it really was an exercise in patience growing it out without a big chop. It sounds like you are not ready to cut much length off so I would continue with the S&D sessions if I were you and when you can bear to just trim half your growth gains every two months or so.

Rapunzel_to_be
June 3rd, 2015, 02:31 AM
Man, this is totally my current dilemma as well. Currently clarifying, S&Ds and deep treatments aren't helping but coconut oil treatments pre and post wash is doing some good. Especially putting in a small amount of the oil on wet hair after a shower. It has made it a little slipperier which is good.
Might try a chelating treatment and if it helps me I'll let you know!
Hopefully S&Ding will help your ends out, it is so annoying to chop! Good luck :)

Yeah it is soo so annoying, and I kind of get obsessed standing there S&D'ing and cant seem to stop hahaha ! I also used to put a small amount oil after showers, but after Lapushka posted a thread where you would put the oil while you are still in the shower, don't remember the name, maybe oil in method ? anyway I started doing that, which for me, helped keep my ends more soft and smooth than when I did my previous routine. I also pree poo with different oils, coconut oil, almond , olive, argan etc, at least once a week. And yes please let me know if the chelating treatment helps!! :D And good luck to you too ! :D

I did something similar to Nightshade. I would trim off as little as a quarter of an inch every three months but S&D as well. Keeping my hair oiled and in a contained style helped protect my hair and reduce splits in the mean time but it really was an exercise in patience growing it out without a big chop. It sounds like you are not ready to cut much length off so I would continue with the S&D sessions if I were you and when you can bear to just trim half your growth gains every two months or so.

Actually I was thinking of what you just wrote the other day, I'm currently studying for my exams and trying to keep my hair bunned or braided all the time, but I noticed that, especially after I take it out from the bun, the ends look kinda crispy and shaped in the form of the bun or hair tie or whatever,( hope that made sense ) so I thought maybe I should oil the ends before bunning! So Im glad to hear that you've already done this and that it worked for you, I shall do it right a way !! :D Thank you !! :)

ETA : The method Lapushka posted was called "rinse out oil" method. Incase anyone else wants to try it ! :)

ChloeDharma
June 3rd, 2015, 05:00 AM
Actually I was thinking of what you just wrote the other day, I'm currently studying for my exams and trying to keep my hair bunned or braided all the time, but I noticed that, especially after I take it out from the bun, the ends look kinda crispy and shaped in the form of the bun or hair tie or whatever,( hope that made sense ) so I thought maybe I should oil the ends before bunning! So Im glad to hear that you've already done this and that it worked for you, I shall do it right a way !! :D Thank you !! :)

ETA : The method Lapushka posted was called "rinse out oil" method. Incase anyone else wants to try it ! :)

Well it worked for me but took ages but I do think had I not done that I would have needed to cut my hair short as the frizzy, dry, damaged hair was just in such an awful state. I know those weird ends you refer to, I found using a hair fork to hold my buns did help with that. If your ends are particularly crispy you could try adding things like shea butter and misting them to keep them a bit less dry. Good luck, I hope this works for you :flower:

lapushka
June 3rd, 2015, 05:17 AM
Yeah it is soo so annoying, and I kind of get obsessed standing there S&D'ing and cant seem to stop hahaha ! I also used to put a small amount oil after showers, but after Lapushka posted a thread where you would put the oil while you are still in the shower, don't remember the name, maybe oil in method ? anyway I started doing that, which for me, helped keep my ends more soft and smooth than when I did my previous routine. I also pree poo with different oils, coconut oil, almond , olive, argan etc, at least once a week. And yes please let me know if the chelating treatment helps!! :D And good luck to you too ! :D

Yep, it's in my signature, if you're looking for it. I crammed it all in there, for ease of use, so I wouldn't have to copy/paste every time. :)

Rapunzel_to_be
June 7th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Well it worked for me but took ages but I do think had I not done that I would have needed to cut my hair short as the frizzy, dry, damaged hair was just in such an awful state. I know those weird ends you refer to, I found using a hair fork to hold my buns did help with that. If your ends are particularly crispy you could try adding things like shea butter and misting them to keep them a bit less dry. Good luck, I hope this works for you :flower:

Good idea, Ill try using a hair fork and also shea butter on the ends! :D Thank you so much for your help! :*

Horrorpops
June 13th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Ok back to report on my chelating experience. I bought a combined clarifying and chelating shampoo at a local hair salon and used it twice (as per the instructions) and followed this with a generous SMT with coconut and rose hip oil. My hair feels amazing! From the roots to ends it is so much softer and bouncier, before chelating my ends were like straw and very brittle - so it was either the very hard water where I live, or buildup. Either way I definitely recommend it!

Hope this helps!

ETA: my bleached ends seemed to be the most affected by both the mineral buildup and the chelating - I think bleach/damage in general might increase the porosity of my hair and so it picks up mineral ions and other junk faster than the rest of my hair. Not sure if this is also the case for your highlights but it could be worth a try.

cat11
June 13th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'd go with microtrimming ... although I have damaged ends and said I would microtrim but I'm not -_- sticking it out with the semi annual trims for length retention...lol

It depends which goal you want to reach first: length or quality. Length will be easier with quality. But quality will be less stressfull once trimming only has you maintaining and not backpedaling on your goal