PDA

View Full Version : ponytail bases for buns?

elsieivy
May 31st, 2015, 01:37 PM
In general I don't like having to start a bun with a ponytail base if I can avoid it but I've had the hardest time getting any hair stick buns to stay without one. I can manage with spin pins but with hair sticks I have to have a pony first. I use ribbon ties and I don't put them too tight but I'd rather not need them at all. What buns can you do with or without pony bases?

lapushka
May 31st, 2015, 01:50 PM
I can wear a LWB without having to have a pony first.

Nique1202
May 31st, 2015, 01:50 PM
I've never needed a ponytail base for a disc bun! It makes its own, sort of, when you wrap the ends around the base. I think the lazy wrap and nautilus work the same way, but I still can't do them reliably.

Seeshami
May 31st, 2015, 02:25 PM
I have gotten chinese wrap buns to stay without a pony tail it just takes a few minutes playing to figure them out

two_wheels
May 31st, 2015, 02:28 PM
My hair is rough as old biscuits so it doesn't need a ponytail for anything. This is the silver lining of the I'll-never-have-silky-hair cloud :cloud9:

On the other hand if you have a silky mane that falls out of a non-ponytailed bun, perhaps you can dry your eyes on your gossamer-like tresses as you contemplate the tangles and coarseness involved with the alternative :D

Nannanej
May 31st, 2015, 03:13 PM
Hm, I've been wondering the same thing. I can't really make ponytails that look good/are comfortable/don't feel damaging or have to be tightened throughout the day.
Anyway, with regards to non-ponytail buns, I've had success with the nautilus. Especially when it's braided. :)

cutekitty
May 31st, 2015, 03:16 PM
The only bun I need to do with a ponytail base is the braided cinnabun. Not that it doesn't stay, it just looks awkward when I do it straight from an English braid, and I don't like that it sits too low (almost on my nape).
And of course the Chinese bun, but I rarely ever think of wearing my hair that way.

ETA: I'd need a ponytail for any braided bun actually, not just the cinnabun.

rhosyn_du
May 31st, 2015, 03:17 PM
Have you tried a Gibraltar or locked bee-butt (basically the same as a Gibraltar, but with a bee-butt bun base instead of a cinnabun base)? I've got super slippery hair, and those were always my best hair stick buns. Braided buns are another option if you've got enough length for them. You might also have better luck with forks than sticks, since they tend to give better hold.

Taenarian
May 31st, 2015, 03:32 PM
I can also wear a pha bun without having to pony first.

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2015, 03:35 PM
Pretty much to get my moons to look good I gotta do a ponytail plus rose bun.

http://imageshack.us/a/img540/7427/SG2V78.jpg

Adiro
May 31st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Have you ever tried a Ponyo as a base for a bun? You don't tighten them like you would with an elastic.... I think that they don't damage much if at all....

EdG
May 31st, 2015, 04:26 PM
My cinnabun holds using nothing other than two hair sticks.

I start by gathering the hair as though I were making a ponytail, and then I give the hair a twist at the base. The twist keeps the hair together, without the need for an elastic as in a ponytail. The hair is then twisted and coiled around itself, and the sticks are inserted so that they go under the initial twist.

This works for me. I'm sure that success depends completely on one's hair.
Ed

TrapperCreekD
May 31st, 2015, 07:43 PM
I only need a ponytail holder for the woven and chinese buns, everything else holds pretty well. It might be a long shot, but have you tried the Lazy Wrap Pony (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129368) as a possible alternative? I've had great luck with it.

copperlites
May 31st, 2015, 08:11 PM
sorry doubled up

copperlites
May 31st, 2015, 08:12 PM
Pretty much to get my moons to look good I gotta do a ponytail plus rose bun.

http://imageshack.us/a/img540/7427/SG2V78.jpg

this is a beautiful bun Wildcat Diva. Do you have a link to a tutorial. I tried google but the rose buns i have seen look nothing like this and seem to involve a lot of teasing. Is this one braided? I have a feeling my hair is not long enough but I'd love to try.

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2015, 09:14 PM
this is a beautiful bun Wildcat Diva. Do you have a link to a tutorial. I tried google but the rose buns i have seen look nothing like this and seem to involve a lot of teasing. Is this one braided? I have a feeling my hair is not long enough but I'd love to try.

Thank you! It's easy. I make a ponytail, then rope braid it. There should be a tutorial you can find for a rope braid. Then wind the braid around like a Cinnabun and pin the ends underneath.

elsieivy
June 1st, 2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll have to give them all a try. I think having a few more inches of hair will be helpful for some as well so hopefully I'll have more luck as my hair gets longer.