PDA

View Full Version : Microtrimming or just chop it off?

parkmikii
May 30th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Hello everyone! In the last while my ends kept getting thinner and I really don't know what to do. I have been constantly trimming my hair bit by bit every 4 months in the last 2 years to get rid of my old layers but somehow the new growth never catches up with the ends. Is it that I am close to hitting my terminal length or maybe I should just keep trimming the thin ends?

http://s12.postimg.org/jqdqe2a3h/DSC_0465.jpg

I have also been using a henna and cassia mix for a year now. And I have been constantly keeping it up in a bun with a claw clip, or in a tucked in french braid, so basically there can't be much damage from ripping it off. Also, normally when I S&D I don't find too many split ends at all, at most there are 5-6.
So my question is if I should go for micro trims every month, or just go ahead and chop all the thin part, to maybe elbow?

Arctic
May 30th, 2015, 01:13 PM
All I know is, that to my eyes your hair looks very beautiful just like that! You have just the right hairtype for fairytail ends, and that length suit you very well too!

cathair
May 30th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I think same as above, but I didn't want to say it first because I am a notorious never cutter :D I don't think you hair looks thin at the ends or like it has fairy tail ends though. It just looks pretty :)

Lady Mary
May 30th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't even cut it, it's beautiful!

pamrlyn
May 30th, 2015, 03:24 PM
me too! agree with everyone, that is. Your hair is very beautiful, just as it is. :)

Your hair is nice & thick at the crown to shoulder area. It will just take some time for that hair to make it's way down to your waist. About 1/2 inch growth per month is average, I think. In the meantime, just keep doing what you have been doing, and be sure to take good care of your scalp & general health, to avoid shedding over much.

There is an in-between hair cutting called maintaining. (more than a micro trim, much less than a chop) Which means you would cut the ends each month or so, based on your growth rate. This would maintain the length at one spot, while waiting for the layers to catch up. There is a thread on the forum for help & support with this method. Here is a link to the thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468&page=179

eta: link to thread that celebrates fairytale ends: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40313&page=55

lapushka
May 30th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I see nothing whatsoever wrong or "thin" with your hair. I'd say keep *growing* it!

spidermom
May 30th, 2015, 04:14 PM
I don't see thin ends, either. Pretty much everybody has a taper of thickness down the length to the ends. If that is the result of microtrimming, well done! Keep it up!

starfire
May 30th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I think your hair looks beautiful. Don't think you need a trim at all.

Eleven
May 31st, 2015, 01:26 AM
Don't trim it! I really looks gorgeous! Love the tapering of your curls! :)

elsieivy
May 31st, 2015, 01:29 AM
I don't think you need to chop or even microtrim! Your ends look beautiful. If you really want to try to get them thicker I guess you could do a few little trims but they look really nice to me.

parkmikii
May 31st, 2015, 04:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I guess I will do a last 2-3cm trim and then stop trimming it until next year ♥

Ania.
August 4th, 2015, 02:08 AM
That would be a great idea, @parkmikii. Your hair is beautiful and it doesn't look damaged at all, like having splits ends. Don't try to trim your hair every month, i hardly think your hair will get damaged since you take good care of it. You can try s&d every once in a while, but once again, there's nothing 'thin' or 'damaged' to your hair. It looks astonishing <3

dogzdinner
August 4th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Id just try and maintain at a length you like until it evens out TBH.
I chopped mine by 6ins to get rid of the layers so I would have a thicker hemline. Now its grown alot Ive discovered that the ends are all over the place anyways coz it seems to grow at different rates!:rolleyes: Should of just maintained instead!

flickm
August 4th, 2015, 04:08 AM
I'd die for hair like that! sooooo beautiful. Cutting it would be a sin!!!!

Neelie
August 4th, 2015, 04:43 AM
agree with everyone. DONT CUT! your hair looks beautiful. nothing wrong with your ends at all and i would give an arm and a leg to have hair like yours!! :) i had thin ends too when my hair was waist length, just look after your split ends if you have any and as long as they look healthy, they wont ever look bad!