PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Mountain Biking

mcflurry
May 30th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I couldn't see anything about hair with bike helmets, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I mountain bike and my helmet, which I purchased before growing my hair out, is impossible for me to get on with my hair in a ponytail. I hadn't been out riding yet this year and my hair wasn't long enough last summer that it was a big deal to have it loose. I guess I probably could make do loose since it's just at APL but I'd rather have it where I know it'll be out of the way. Just curious if anyone has any tips.

missrandie
May 30th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Are there any holes in the straps that your hair can go through? Perhaps low pigtails or twin braids?

I used to have to make a snood bun for mine, or just a really low bun. I have even made a bun after I put my helmet on.

mcflurry
May 30th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Not really any holes. I guess I could do pigtails, but as a guy i'd probably rather not.:rolleyes: It's not long enough yet to do anything after its on. here's a pic of essentially what the helmet's like.

http://s24.postimg.org/tddw3oy39/241893_19121_XL.jpg

missrandie
May 30th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Lol oops :) nah, I wouldn't want to pigtail it either.

Perhaps twist it up under your helmet? That's some thING else I have done.. just make sure the twist lies somewhat flat.

Nique1202
May 30th, 2015, 10:17 AM
A french braid (totally do-able at apl) wouldn't cause too much bulk up top to interfere with the fit, but would keep the ends from flying around in the back. Depending on your thickness, you may be able to just start an english braid very low on your neck, below where the helmet sits, or you'll be able to soon enough.

Mountaingrrl
May 30th, 2015, 11:06 AM
You could wear a Helmet Buff under your helmet. At that length, you could wear your hair loose but keep it contained in the buff while cycling.

hennalonghair
May 30th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I wear my hair in a braid while riding. That's the only style that will work comfortably with a helmet.

two_wheels
May 30th, 2015, 11:14 AM
I cycle a lot. I do one of:
- braid - if I'm carrying a backpack I do diagonal French braid so it falls over my shoulder in front instead of getting shredded between my back and the backpack
- interlaced braids - super comfortable for long rides, possibly not very manly?
- snood

You could get one of those leather ponytail wraps that motorbike types use? Like this one (http://www.jaminleather.com/Eagle-Biker-Tail-P153.aspx) (random google result, I don't know if it's any good). I think they're pretty cool 8)

mcflurry
May 30th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I managed to make it work alright with a bandana for today. The longest layers are APL but the shortest ones just make it to my shoulders so an english braid doesn't really work yet, but maybe I'll get my girlfriend to help me out with a french braid, if you all thick that will work, in the future.

Arctic
May 30th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Maybe banded ponytail, that starts from lower down, at the nape.

omega
May 31st, 2015, 02:35 PM
Great tips two_wheels. Am looking for ways other than my side braid, folded on itself once or twice held by scrunchie. I have a couple of cool/cute hair gloves but they seem heavy to wear during cycling.

two_wheels
May 31st, 2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks omega! Happy to enable more two-wheeled joy :)
I'm going to try a hawser braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y3LvWpncQQ) when my hair gets longer. Apparently they end up way shorter than your actual hair so that's good.
Umm.... guess I'm one of Torrin's guys. I can't be bothered with the braid-around-the-ponytail-holder shebang

omega
May 31st, 2015, 04:57 PM
Enjoyed learning the Hawser, thanks!

QMacrocarpa
June 1st, 2015, 09:05 AM
I wear my hair in a braid while riding. That's the only style that will work comfortably with a helmet.
Depends on the helmet (and perhaps head/hair geometry). I pretty much always wear a low bun with my (Bell "Muni" or similar) bike helmet. A helmet with lower nape coverage would be a problem for me.

two_wheels
June 1st, 2015, 02:12 PM
I can get a low bun under a helmet (outside and below, not inside the helmet obviously!), but it gets in my way when I look behind me (and I have to do that a lot in traffic) :hmm: