PDA

View Full Version : Too old for long hair?

diggem
May 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
This is actually a question primarily for the ladies.

Have you ever been told that you are too old for long hair? How did you react? What's the deal with age and long hair? At what point does one become "too old for long hair"?

I remember growing up, I thought that one of the most beautiful people in the world was Crystal Gayle (with or without the floor length hair). At the time, we was in her late 40s, but did not look like it at all. She looked much younger. I thought it was stupid that some thought she was too old for long hair, but then why do older people spend so much money to look younger?

For what it's worth, I am an old person (52).

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

diggem

Madora
May 29th, 2015, 10:19 AM
No one has ever told me I was too old for long hair (I'm 69).

I think many people associate long hair as something only young people should enjoy..which is a ton of malarkey. Some people think that just because an older person sports long hair that they are trying to recapture their youth. Hogwash!

As to "when do older people spend so much money to look younger"...because our culture is youth oriented and God forbid if you should allow yourself to age naturally.

Agnes Hannah
May 29th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Hi Diggem, I am 49 with hip long hair. As yet no one has said that I am too old for long hair, but my reaction would be something like "Go Away!" I don't believe there is an age when long is wrong. Women wore their hair long for centuries, it is only recently that the short haired thing has come about. Long hair was something to be treasured, then the Bob came into fashion from the days of the old B and W movies. I guess it all stemmed from there. Before this time, a woman had her hair cut as a punishment, or if she needed to donate it to raise money. My interpretation of this is that 1, I treasure my hair. 2, I would be punishing myself if I had it cut off.

I have a lot of greys now, natures highlights! They make my hair look swirly coloured, with golds and a few remaining darker strands. I get more pressure to colour it and hide the greys than to cut.

Different women perceive themselves in different ways, some are happy in their own skin, they have the confidence to go through life what ever is thrown at them. Others need and or are pressured to follow the media, films and music videos. The women depicted are usually tall, slim etc etc. Some people feel that they need to aspire to be taller, slimmer, younger etc.
and relentlessly follow that goal without knowing their own inner beauty, but are beguilded by the media and marketing.
I hope this goes some way into answering your question, which is actually quite a difficult one to answer. I'm sure others will post their views which may differ to mine, or not.

ps, I don't want to advertise my age by becoming another dandylion head, just to please society. I've always been a bit rebellious

Stormynights
May 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I think you are too old for long hair when you can't take care of it any longer. If you have help caring for your hair you are never too old to wear it.

parkmikii
May 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Literally the majority of 'old' persons consider that they should get short hair as they age. I truly don't see why though. I too think that long hair makes one appear younger compared to short hair.
I think that a role in this is also played by the hairstylists, as most of them advice older women to get a shorter haircut because 'hair gets weaker', 'thinner' as they age or just to refresh their look. But I don't think that that would be the case if they have the patience to care for it.

endlessly
May 29th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I think because it's been so common for women to cut their hair short as they age, that's why people think there is an age limit for long hair. In my town, short hair is the norm and my hair length is a true rarity, so even at my age (26), I've been told multiple times that I'm too old for my hair or that my hair ages me - this actually started as soon as I hit 20, basically the "you're not a teenager anymore, you need to get a grown-up haircut". Honestly, though, a lot of people making those negative comments are, at least in my opinion, just jealous. If you want long hair, then go for it and I don't think it's fair for there to be this so-called "age limit". If someone maybe isn't able to care for their long hair and it starts to look ragged, then I can understand why shorter hair is seen as more age-appropriate since it's supposedly easier to care for, but it really depends on the person. My saying is pretty simple: you only live once, so do whatever makes you happy.

bte
May 29th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I'm 60. I don't think it's different for a man. I didn't manage to grow hair long enough to braid until I was 59, and I am enjoying the longest hair I've ever had at 60.

Hair is a personal thing, and I know of many ladies who look stunning with long hair in their 60s, 70s, 80s and a few in their 90s. Do what feels right for you and enjoy your hair in your own way.

Anje
May 29th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I don't see why anyone should tell me how I should look, without regard to age or gender.

DweamGoiL
May 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM
I don't see why anyone should tell me how I should look, without regard to age or gender.

I totally agree with this. However, there are people that are crude. They relish in sticking their noses in another person's business and/or like to give unsolicited advise. It doesn't mean they are right; just that they can't seem to keep their mouths shut at the proper time.

pili
May 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I've been told this since college by my mother. She has the "longest" hair of all her friends. She is at collarbone and her friends all sport pixies. She is 67 and I am now 40. I am now on a journey to TBL+ and I know I am going to get a lot of grief over it.

I think a lot has to do with jealousy. A lot of her generation blow fried/bleached/permed/relaxed/teased their hair and it has fallen out or broken off from all the processing. I think long hair actually softens the face. I've been pinning photos of gorgeous, long silver hair on Pintrest for inspiration. I'll probably be hitting my goal at age 47.

spidermom
May 29th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Only my father has ever made such remarks, something along the lines of how I would look younger if I got a "modern" haircut. Funny - I think he had in mind something like women used to commonly wear in the 1950s. That's where "modern" ended for him, I do believe.

But at 61 I'm far too old to allow other people to dictate how I ought to wear my hair.

texangrrl
May 29th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I will never be too old for long hair.

Rosetta
May 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Luckily I've never heard such comments in person (yet!), but unfortunately I've often seen advice or comments online or in haircare books etc. how long hair on women over 40 (what an arbitrary line) "drags down features" (or just drags them down in general!), "is so ageing", etc. etc... :? The majority of people just seem to think that way. Needless to say I don't agree with that...

missrandie
May 29th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Even if I'm 80 and somebody says that to me, I will turn to them and say "Well, I'm darn sure too young for short hair!"

I think length and age is a bunch of hogwash.

Silver Sister
May 29th, 2015, 12:15 PM
No one has said anything to me. I'm 66 and heading toward waist length in the next year. It feels good to look different from the "cauliflower" heads.

harpgal
May 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Even if I'm 80 and somebody says that to me, I will turn to them and say "Well, I'm darn sure too young for short hair!"

I think length and age is a bunch of hogwash.
Haha! Well said!

nakima
May 29th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I just turned 55 and I have tbl hair and I always get compliments on the length as well as the color of my hair. Nobody has ever told me that I'm to old for long hair as a matter of fact most people say I look better with long hair. I think it boils down to how well one takes care of their hair. I have a long neck and I feel I look awful with short hair lol! and I would'nt cut my hair because of someone elses opinion anyway. As I've gotten older I have become a little selfcentered about some things it's all about what I like for myself ha!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Luckily I've never heard such comments in person (yet!), but unfortunately I've often seen advice or comments online or in haircare books etc. how long hair on women over 40 (what an arbitrary line) "drags down features" (or just drags them down in general!), "is so ageing", etc. etc... :? The majority of people just seem to think that way. Needless to say I don't agree with that...

I have had all these comments and more from my mother and sisters. My mother has been telling me since I was 20 that I am too old to have long hair. Now I am old enough to have grown a thick enough skin to ignore such rude remarks. Recently my mother has said she thinks my long hair is pretty and looks nice :)

Lady Mary
May 29th, 2015, 03:48 PM
I have had all these comments and more from my mother and sisters. My mother has been telling me since I was 20 that I am too old to have long hair. Now I am old enough to have grown a thick enough skin to ignore such rude remarks. Recently my mother has said she thinks my long hair is pretty and looks nice :)

Oh my goodness, well, just ignore anything like that coming from them (or anyone for that matter) your hair is looking AMAZING! :)

Alun
May 29th, 2015, 03:53 PM
My wife thinks I no longer look good with long hair. OTOH, she never told me she liked it to begin with! It's true that it has got a little thinner as I have got older, but again, I've always had thin and fine hair. It was never thick to begin with.

I can't see any evidence that cutting my hair would have any effect beyond making it shorter, so why would I do that?

ETA: My mother doesn't like hair longer than shoulder length. I once thought this was just on men, but apparently not. If I had been a daughter rather than a son it seems her opinion would have been the same.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Oh my goodness, well, just ignore anything like that coming from them (or anyone for that matter) your hair is looking AMAZING! :)

Wow, thank you :crush: :)

Islandgrrl
May 29th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Hi diggem,

My mother and my younger sister both seem to think I'm too old for long hair. Or rather, they think my now kind of upper calf length hair is too long for how old I am. I'm 54.

I really don't understand why people think there's an age limit to long hair. There was a time not all that long ago in the grand scheme of things, when long hair, even never cut hair, was the norm. Women didn't cut their hair for fashion. They mostly didn't cut their hair period. It really wasn't until the early part of the 20th century that women started cutting their hair for the sake of fashion.

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I don't wear trousers, either.

lunasea
May 29th, 2015, 04:21 PM
You are old fashioned if you say trousers! :rollin: So what! Variety is a good thing. At 60 I'm working my way toward the longest hair of my life. I want it and I'm gonna do it. It's MY life and My body! BTW: I've also been told my hair is too thin to grow long and that because my natural color is a "not pretty" brown with gray I should continue to dye it. I'm not paying attention to any of that either.

unicornlady
May 29th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks for inspiring a thread... There's a question I was dying to know the answer to recently.
An encouragment to the elder ladies, it's nothing but cultural/peer pressure - not too much time ago, short hair was shameful on ANY woman and short haircuts on women were associated with lynching almost exclusively. So, that argument is nothing but ridiculous.

My grandma and her long hair - so perfect. She cut to chin length because it's difficult for her to maintain now but never, ever, dont let anyone tell you that long hair doesnt look good on you only because of age. That is wrong.

cathair
May 29th, 2015, 07:02 PM
You are old fashioned if you say trousers! :rollin: So what! Variety is a good thing. At 60 I'm working my way toward the longest hair of my life. I want it and I'm gonna do it. It's MY life and My body! BTW: I've also been told my hair is too thin to grow long and that because my natural color is a "not pretty" brown with gray I should continue to dye it. I'm not paying attention to any of that either.

Your old fashioned if you say trousers? Never heard that one before :)

EdG
May 29th, 2015, 07:48 PM
This is actually a question primarily for the ladies.These words tend to bring out the men on the board. :lol:

Have you ever been told that you are too old for long hair? How did you react? What's the deal with age and long hair? At what point does one become "too old for long hair"?For all the complaints my parents gave me about my long hair, age was never cited as a reason.

I remember growing up, I thought that one of the most beautiful people in the world was Crystal Gayle (with or without the floor length hair). At the time, we was in her late 40s, but did not look like it at all. She looked much younger. I thought it was stupid that some thought she was too old for long hair, but then why do older people spend so much money to look younger?I tend to associate long hair with people in their teens and twenties. There are a few LHC'ers who I originally thought were in their twenties, but turned out to be about twice that age. That's how good long hair is at making people seem younger. :)
Ed

Anje
May 29th, 2015, 07:56 PM
You are old fashioned if you say trousers!
Alternatively, you don't always speak US English. In the UK, "pants" means underwear!

KiwiLiz
May 29th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I have of course heard the idea that as you get older you should cut your hair - haven't had that said to me though as I'm 27. I have heard though that my bright red henna hair is '"too young" and from people who don't work in the same industry as me that it's a bit unprofessional... I work in advertising, bright red hair is tame!

I'm confused by the whole idea of being too old for a certain look, because really as you get older I would expect that people would care a lot less about what others think and be more set in doing it there own way - which for me means longer and redder as I get older!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Here, pants means trousers and underwear! Depends on the context. We also use trousers. Or slacks.

On the other hand, panties or knickers is exclusively used for underwear.

chen bao jun
May 29th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I think people discovered there s money to be made by convincing women that they are too old for long hair. And that we need to dye our hair. And that curlies need to straighten and straighties need to curl. I ignore this nonsense.

vega
May 29th, 2015, 09:14 PM
I get this a lot and comments like you will have to eventually cut it

Singing Bird
May 30th, 2015, 12:13 AM
In my opinion you're never to old for long hair. I'm almost 30 and fortunately nobody ever said that I should cut my hair. My sister is 44 and has very thick hair up to her waist - also nobody ever claimed hair for that. And finally my mum - 63 years old with a chronic illness (that causes cancer 10 years before) - has her hair on APL and she always dreams of let it grow - but it grows so slowly now.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 30th, 2015, 01:43 AM
I'll never be too old for long hair. :) But, I am too old to let other people dictate how I can wear my hair.

woolyleprechaun
May 30th, 2015, 01:53 AM
Its not something I've had personal experience with, presumably as I'm still fairly young. However, I get too often that my buns 'age' me, which I guess is a similar thing. My grandma was always telling my aunt that she was too old for long hair (when she was 35 with collarbone length hair).... Opinions are like ***holes, my friends :)

Monsoonu
May 30th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Everytime I see my mother!

I just reply that long hair, just like getting old is a gift - not everyone has the chance to grow long hair or age!

Avital88
May 30th, 2015, 04:44 AM
If you feel old then you probably are. I don't think age has anything to do with it but your mindset. My mom is 52 and would never refer to herself as an old person for example. Just keep the style that suits you best like this you will always feel good. Young or old

Crystawni
May 30th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Even though I'm yet to be told I'm too old for long hair, I believe it's my hair, (my body, my life,) so my business. Stuff anybody else. :p As Agnes Hannah and others have mentioned, short hair is a rather recent fad. I've also noticed people tend to revert to their "glory years" in styles later on, thus the young women of the 1920s tended to be more comfy with those shorter styles in their later years. Those of the 1940s and 50s like curly coifs. We had wild hair in the 80s, and it was long (or punk, or coloured, or permed with spirals, or...). I can't see me using can after can of hairspray again, but I don't mind the soft fullness we used to get. Even so, I'm just letting nature take over. And it's fun! Every month it looks different--colour and length, so that keeps my "I wanna change something" happy. Maybe the white coming in satisfies the punkish side of my youth (not that I went that edgy, really). Am I too old for long hair or too young for white? Pfft. I'm letting my hair be me, not me be my hair.

embee
May 30th, 2015, 06:16 AM
In my opinion, that goes for young and old.

Some children are too young for long hair - they can/will not care for it, not even brush or comb it, wash it, tie it back, nothing. And they won't let anyone else do it without a big battle. Short hair can be a good answer here.

Some older people have shoulder, neck, back problems and cannot raise their arms so they cannot comb or brush without pain, and they cannot make an updo. Unless there is daily willing assistance, very short hair is good here.

Otherwise, have hair the way one likes. Gee whiz. And I don't like being bossed around by others.... ;)

elea
May 30th, 2015, 06:37 AM
*Laugh*
Too old for making brainless comments at other's choices or too young to know better. That what springs to mind *;O)

Amapola
May 30th, 2015, 08:05 AM
No one has ever said this to me. It might be because I am well known for saying things like, "Don't tell me what to do, and I won't tell you where to go".

It is no one else's business what I do with my hair. It is also no one else's business what my favorite color is, what shoes I like to wear or what job I like to do. Even so, there are sure people out there who want to dictate to others how they should live. This seems really odd to me; I accept people the way they are and think they look fine, however they have their hair or whatever.

I wonder how they would react if one started picking on the way they have *their* hair? Not that I would do it...

browneyedsusan
May 30th, 2015, 09:18 AM
No. Just no.
I'm not too old for long hair, and I'm not old enough to "embrace my gray". I like it long and red. Im the one keeping it up, so I'll do as I please! :lala: My hair looks fabulous! :lala:

Wusel
May 30th, 2015, 09:35 AM
No one has said anything to me. I'm 66 and heading toward waist length in the next year. It feels good to look different from the "cauliflower" heads.

ROFL! "Cauliflower heads" :D

Wusel
May 30th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Here, pants means trousers and underwear! Depends on the context. We also use trousers. Or slacks.

On the other hand, panties or knickers is exclusively used for underwear.

I thought it's pantIES for underwear and pants for... pants. The long outerwear ones :D
Trousers sounds a bit outdated for me too.

lunasea
May 30th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Must be a colloquial thing. Here, I'm pretty sure all action would stop and focus on me if I said "trousers"....interesting...the things you learn at LHC!

Didn't mean to derail things.

JadedByEntropy
May 30th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I'll never be too old for long hair. :) But, I am too old to let other people dictate how I can wear my hair.

Perfect answer! I don't think i'll ever let people tell me how i should look. :)

Saldana
May 30th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I haven't really had anyone say anything about my hair, either the length or the color (greying). It's my hair, my body, my life, I'll do what I want, and I pity the fool who tries to criticize me into adhering to some nonsensical idea of how people of whatever age 'ought' to wear their hair. To take a page out of Amapola's book, I think most people would be pretty sure my response would be something along the lines of "Don't tell me what to do, and I won't tell you where to go." Or, if it were a fairly benign comment like "You know....you'd look so cute with one of those pixie cuts everybody is wearing these days"....my comment would probably be "Oh. Huh."

Then I'd just go about my business. Most people have the sense to let it drop.

Unofficial_Rose
May 30th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Your old fashioned if you say trousers? Never heard that one before :)

Indeed! In the UK if you said you were going to go out in your pants people would assume you were going out in public in your underwear. :D

JackieFlo
May 30th, 2015, 02:02 PM
My granny had long hair all her life. And that was amazing, she usually wore a knot, but when she washed her hair and then brushed it I saw her wonderful hair. I think hair is good for any age.

Unicorn
May 30th, 2015, 04:43 PM
My wife thinks I no longer look good with long hair. OTOH, she never told me she liked it to begin with! It's true that it has got a little thinner as I have got older, but again, I've always had thin and fine hair. It was never thick to begin with.

I can't see any evidence that cutting my hair would have any effect beyond making it shorter, so why would I do that?

ETA: My mother doesn't like hair longer than shoulder length. I once thought this was just on men, but apparently not. If I had been a daughter rather than a son it seems her opinion would have been the same.

I always think it's a shame when men who have always had long hair, cut it when they get older. It kind of seems they've decided to conform after a lifetime of being themselves. I may be completely wrong of course, it's just my perception, completely unbacked by any facts.

Unicorn

Pantherophis
May 30th, 2015, 06:52 PM
It depends on the person, their hair type and general structure. I'm 49 and I look better with longer hair. Short (neck length or shorter) on my big old head makes it look like I'm wearing a tiny toupee. My sister (who looked similar to me but had 3a/m/ii hair) looked better in chin-length or shorter hair.

Remi
May 30th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Me? Too old for long hair? Never!

vega
May 31st, 2015, 02:17 AM
The moment you question this , you have answered your question

flickm
May 31st, 2015, 03:14 AM
I have long hair and am a grandmother. Also i was entranced by seeing Dame Evelyn Glennie recently, almost 50 and with a mane of very long grey hair. She is one of the most attractive women I've ever seen. Women in non western cultures keep their hair long and luxuriant into old age and look wonderful. To my mind, thinking women over a certain age should cut their hair short is a way of defeminising them. I'm not saying short hair is unfeminine, but the cuts older women are steered towards often look sexless. I say we should embrace whatever hair length we want, regardless of age.

b70
May 31st, 2015, 03:37 AM
I think the cultural pressure to cut your hair / change the way you dress after a certain age (even as early as 35!) is much stronger in the US than here in Europe. I seldom see or hear about such "rules" here, but I see a lot of american articles online or in magazines / tv shows that tell women how they should dress/act/wear their hair by forty. And what all those articles seem to have in common is "thou shalt not think that you are a sexual being after 35". Women should not have long hair, wear tight/revealing clothes etc. They should put on their cloak of invisibility and accept that from now on and for the rest of their lives (40-50 years given the normal livespan) they are not women. They are mothers, grandmothers, wifes - but not attractive, sexual women.

Those ideas are not only ridiculous, they are oppressive. Women today are usually in much better shape after 35 than women of the past. We live healthier lives, we live longer, we have fewer children and we have them later in life, we are educated, we have carriers, interests, a social life. Many of us are single or divorced and are dating / sexually active outside a serious relationship. We are strong and independent, and it is nobody's business how we dress or wear our hair.

Personally I have never had really long hair, but now I feel like growing it. I am 45, I do what I want :)

unicornlady
May 31st, 2015, 03:39 AM
I have long hair and am a grandmother. Also i was entranced by seeing Dame Evelyn Glennie recently, almost 50 and with a mane of very long grey hair. She is one of the most attractive women I've ever seen. Women in non western cultures keep hair long and luxuriant into old age and look wonderful. To my mind, thinking women over a certain age should cut their hair short is a way of defeminising them. I'm not saying short hair is unfeminine, but the cuts older women are steered towards often look sexless. I say we should embrace whatever hair length we want, regardless of age.

Totally agree - I have yet to see a short perm that looks good. Most unflattering and age-adding hairstyle.

Ever since my childhood, I loved longer hair on elder women or in general elder women who take good care about themselves and look good for their age... so many elder women carry themselves great and the look totally flatters them and yet you hear objections "why is she wearing this" like she's supposed to turn ugly and wear bags or something. A lot of people seem to get irritated about it, especially women, for some reason. Jealousy? Hatred? o.0
Youth is worshipped today, that is one part of the equation for sure. Once you're 30-35 you're good for nothing, that's the message.

copperlites
May 31st, 2015, 04:06 AM
i am 47 and my hair is just past my bra strap. It has never looked better, since joining the LHC 3 months ago and taking better care of it. I joined this forum after finding it when doing some researching exactly this pic, " am i too old for long hair" after my previous stylist (yes i have now found a new one) recommended cutting it into a shorter, more age appropriate style.
Coming here was a breath of fresh air and reaffirmed my belief that you can wear your hair as long as you like for as long as you like.

flickm
May 31st, 2015, 04:44 AM
I think the cultural pressure to cut your hair / change the way you dress after a certain age (even as early as 35!) is much stronger in the US than here in Europe. I seldom see or hear about such "rules" here, but I see a lot of american articles online or in magazines / tv shows that tell women how they should dress/act/wear their hair by forty. And what all those articles seem to have in common is "thou shalt not think that you are a sexual being after 35". Women should not have long hair, wear tight/revealing clothes etc. They should put on their cloak of invisibility and accept that from now on and for the rest of their lives (40-50 years given the normal livespan) they are not women. They are mothers, grandmothers, wifes - but not attractive, sexual women.

Those ideas are not only ridiculous, they are oppressive. Women today are usually in much better shape after 35 than women of the past. We live healthier lives, we live longer, we have fewer children and we have them later in life, we are educated, we have carriers, interests, a social life. Many of us are single or divorced and are dating / sexually active outside a serious relationship. We are strong and independent, and it is nobody's business how we dress or wear our hair.

Personally I have never had really long hair, but now I feel like growing it. I am 45, I do what I want :)

I'm in the UK and would agree up to a point - but i think there is still some pressure here (usually from the elderly) for women to conform after a certain age. Luckily it is getting less, and people do more of what they want, especially in a university city like Oxford, where i live. i was thinking of my partners mother, in her eighties, does have long hair but always wears it strictly in a bun.

bte
May 31st, 2015, 05:08 AM
I am a child of the 60s - does that make me old fashioned? - when just about every young woman wanted to wear trousers and just about every young man wanted to grow his hair, but we were hindered in doing so by parents and schools. Most older women in those days had buns; I don't remember any pressure on them, but maybe I was too young to notice.

flickm
May 31st, 2015, 05:23 AM
I am a child of the 60s - does that make me old fashioned? - when just about every young woman wanted to wear trousers and just about every young man wanted to grow his hair, but we were hindered in doing so by parents and schools. Most older women in those days had buns; I don't remember any pressure on them, but maybe I was too young to notice.

I was a young teenager and adult in the sixties. i don't remember bowing to parental pressure about hair etc. in fact i walked about in micro dressede or fringed jeans, bare feet and long hair. Those were the days :)

Mammasaurusrex
May 31st, 2015, 07:55 AM
I live in Michigan and there are a lot of elderly people in my town. They all have such short hair like short like a pixie but very curly. Perms are popular up here I am thinking. I have only seen one elderly person with hair past her neck and her hair is beautiful! Its about waist length and stick straight and very healthy and thick. I don't see an issue at all with older women having long hair!

hennalonghair
May 31st, 2015, 08:07 AM
I think you are too old for long hair when you can't take care of it any longer. If you have help caring for your hair you are never too old to wear it.

I agree.
Nobody has ever told me I look too old for long hair nor do I think anyone ever would.
Like most things in life long hair is a personal preference.

HintOfMint
May 31st, 2015, 03:26 PM
I walked into a salon to ask about their prices and get a consultation before I committed to an appointment. (I know how salons can be with charging more for long hair, so I wanted a quote before anything starts)

I take down my hair and I agree with most of what he's saying--my bangs aren't blended into the rest of my hair and are a little choppy, and I would like more layers--except for when he says, "I would take you just a little shorter, at your age it starts to look a little hippyish." I'm 28. I didn't flinch, I just said, "That's deliberate."

To his credit, he pointed to between BSL/Waist, so he's not ruling out long hair entirely, just not as long as what I'm rocking now.

In any case, I didn't make an appointment.

Rapunzel_to_be
May 31st, 2015, 03:45 PM
This is actually something that really bothers me, I have never understood why a lot of women cut off their hair as soon as they get older ( 30/40 years or so) and I think it is so sad that women do this, unless they actually want to have a short hair cut, but I believe most of them just do it because they think thats what they have to do once they are not teens anymore... My mother has very thick silky smooth super straight, and she started cutting it short in her early twenties... and her "reason" for doing so is that her hair is not as thick as it used to be before she had children... :rolleyes: Her hair is still thick and full... and whenever she neglects her regular hair cut for a little while and it almoooost reaches collarbone her face changes completely and becomes softer and looks so much nicer... but no matter how many times I tell her to grow it long she still cuts it...

Anyway I will NEVER cut my hair, not even when I'm a hundred years old.

Glimmer
May 31st, 2015, 05:26 PM
I get jumped on regularly by both my brother and my mother saying my hair is WAY to long for a woman MY age. It is APL right now which in my mind is way to short. I had long hair most of my life until my 40's when I decided to cut it. Now I am 55 and have decided to grow it back out.

It is seriously driving my mother NUTS. She comments every time she sees me and tells me how it is making me look older and on and on. I used to just ignore her but it was getting on my nerves so I started to comment on how short her hair is and how her view point is old fashioned and outdated- she hates hearing that she is old fashioned at 72. She likes to pride herself on staying young at mind and heart.

I told her if she wants to look like a man fine but I am not ready to do that quite yet. I can understand if you can no longer take care of it or if you have to take drugs that messes with your hair. I cut mine off super short when I broke my ankle and dislocated my elbow because I simply could not take care of it. But I have been growing it ever since.

Anyway, after me finally saying something to her about HER hair she didn't comment the last time I saw her but I am sure she will start up again. She has always hated it when I grow my hair out. I had to hear about it every day of my life when I was a teen, all through my 20's and 30's. I don't know what her problem with long hair is but my dad always loved long hair and commented on how pretty my hair is. He is deceased now so I wonder if it is not jealousy or something on her part. I don't know but I am not listening to it no more. She really needs to stop because at 55 I will not be told what to do.

kganihanova
May 31st, 2015, 06:19 PM
My SO told me I should get a pixie cut so I could look more professional and that my can I call this waist length hair is for younger people. I'm 21......I didn't think I'd get this for a while.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 31st, 2015, 06:31 PM
I get jumped on regularly by both my brother and my mother saying my hair is WAY to long for a woman MY age. It is APL right now which in my mind is way to short. I had long hair most of my life until my 40's when I decided to cut it. Now I am 55 and have decided to grow it back out.

It is seriously driving my mother NUTS. She comments every time she sees me and tells me how it is making me look older and on and on. I used to just ignore her but it was getting on my nerves so I started to comment on how short her hair is and how her view point is old fashioned and outdated- she hates hearing that she is old fashioned at 72. She likes to pride herself on staying young at mind and heart.

I told her if she wants to look like a man fine but I am not ready to do that quite yet. I can understand if you can no longer take care of it or if you have to take drugs that messes with your hair. I cut mine off super short when I broke my ankle and dislocated my elbow because I simply could not take care of it. But I have been growing it ever since.

Anyway, after me finally saying something to her about HER hair she didn't comment the last time I saw her but I am sure she will start up again. She has always hated it when I grow my hair out. I had to hear about it every day of my life when I was a teen, all through my 20's and 30's. I don't know what her problem with long hair is but my dad always loved long hair and commented on how pretty my hair is. He is deceased now so I wonder if it is not jealousy or something on her part. I don't know but I am not listening to it no more. She really needs to stop because at 55 I will not be told what to do.

Tell them you are much too young for short hair :p

Horrorpops
May 31st, 2015, 06:50 PM
Never!! My 92 year old Greek greatgrandma had beautiful silver kneee length hair that she kept up in braided buns every day. She was very independent and always took care of her hair.

Also, I watched a documentary once which was looking at markers of youth and beauty. They actually got 10 mothers and daughters and swapped their hair styles (with wigs etc) So all the daughters had short bobs or pixies and all the mums got long (APL to waist) hair. When independent audiences were asked to guess the women's ages with their hair changes they overestimated the daughters ages and underestimated the mothers.

They suggested that while most women choose (or are bullied) to cut their hair shorter as they age because it'll "make them look old", women might actually look younger with long hair! I know this isn't most people's motivation for growing their hair long but I thought it was very interesting. :)

pamrlyn
May 31st, 2015, 07:00 PM
guess I'm old enough to make my own decision about hair length. My Mom decided that for me up to a certain age - maybe 6th grade? I think she would really like it now. My Husband, kids, brothers &, sisters nieces & nephew all like it fine. My niece told me I was rockin a man bun the other day. :confused:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 31st, 2015, 07:06 PM
Never!! My 92 year old Greek greatgrandma had beautiful silver kneee length hair that she kept up in braided buns every day. She was very independent and always took care of her hair.

Also, I watched a documentary once which was looking at markers of youth and beauty. They actually got 10 mothers and daughters and swapped their hair styles (with wigs etc) So all the daughters had short bobs or pixies and all the mums got long (APL to waist) hair. When independent audiences were asked to guess the women's ages with their hair changes they overestimated the daughters ages and underestimated the mothers.

They suggested that while most women choose (or are bullied) to cut their hair shorter as they age because it'll "make them look old", women might actually look younger with long hair! I know this isn't most people's motivation for growing their hair long but I thought it was very interesting. :)

That is indeed interesting. I wish I could see that documentary.

HintOfMint
May 31st, 2015, 07:53 PM

There are lots of hair-related markers of age that seem to span cultures. For instance, even in some cultures that prize long hair throughout a woman's age, women are supposed to put it up in a bun or braid, or even cover their hair, once they're married and have children.

aspartame gram
May 31st, 2015, 08:19 PM
My SO told me I should get a pixie cut so I could look more professional and that my can I call this waist length hair is for younger people. I'm 21......I didn't think I'd get this for a while.

That's a little rude to be saying that to you. If you find that he's this opinionated about other aspects of your life, I'd say good riddance to him. You do not need that kind of negativity in your life... And yes, I just quoted a Dolly Parton meme. :)

Carolyn
May 31st, 2015, 08:25 PM
Wow if 52 is old them I'm ancient.

I think I'm finally old enough to do as I please with every aspect of my appearance. I really don't care what people think. My true friends will love me as I am and if not I don't need them as friends. As for a strangers opinion, well they can go stick it sideways. I look away when I see things I don't like, they can too.

kganihanova
May 31st, 2015, 08:35 PM
That's a little rude to be saying that to you. If you find that he's this opinionated about other aspects of your life, I'd say good riddance to him. You do not need that kind of negativity in your life... And yes, I just quoted a Dolly Parton meme. :)

His advice is great for some things but he just doesn't know a thing about hair. It's his mom that drives it. She will not shut up about how professional pixies are. Unsurprisingly, she has one.

EdG
May 31st, 2015, 08:48 PM
My SO told me I should get a pixie cut so I could look more professional and that my can I call this waist length hair is for younger people. I'm 21......I didn't think I'd get this for a while.He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Put your hair up in a bun. A bun is very professional. I have personally tested this at the office, industry conferences, and business meetings. ;)
Ed

Horrorpops
May 31st, 2015, 11:50 PM
That is indeed interesting. I wish I could see that documentary.

Ok so I admit it was many years ago that I saw this documentary... but I did a little googling and think I found it! It was an episode of a 2009 BBC TV show called "Prof Regans Health Spa" and it might be episode 4. I couldn't find a link to watch it other than the BBC website (which doesn't look active anyone).

Lady Katherine
June 1st, 2015, 10:37 AM
I remember when I was little (like 6 or 7) I told my mom that I wanted to have long gray hair in a bun. I don't know at what point I'll have gray hair(or if I'll ever have it), since my dad is 60 and is just staring to get some grays, and my mom is 50 with her red hair slowly fading into a brownish blonde. I've known many redheads that have their hair fade slowly into blonde, then go to white, while completely skipping the gray stage, so I don't know if I'll get the gray bun I was hoping for, lol. But I vote that if you want long hair when you are older you should keep it, and ignore people that think otherwise!

diggem
June 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
I thought it's pantIES for underwear and pants for... pants. The long outerwear ones :D
Trousers sounds a bit outdated for me too.

OK, How about your "old" if you know what dungarees are?

diggem

Answer: Jeans (usually Blue Jeans).

diggem
June 1st, 2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I'm really happy to see how many of you have never heard this stupid suggestion getting utter. For the rest of you, I think it has a lot to do with Jealousy or some hogwash idea that this is the way it should be. For example, Laura Ingalls Wilder had floor length hair until the day she died. I bet no one felt "obliged" to tell her to cut it because she was too old.

diggem

Unzadi
June 1st, 2015, 06:53 PM
She will not shut up about how professional pixies are. Unsurprisingly, she has one.

Maybe surprise her by mentioning how you coudn't possibly look as good in a pixie as she does, and isn't it lovely that you've both found your favorite legnths?

Sableringlets
June 1st, 2015, 07:37 PM
I think society in general, has a love-hate fascination with long hair. At one hand, we have endless consumerism seemingly supporting the ideal of that long luxurious hair you see in commercials. On the other hand, when someone actually has that hair it mostly garners criticism. "Why don't you cut it," or "well some of us actually like short hair." That's nice if you like short hair...but some of us don't.

The idea of older women (and by "old" these days it means 30+) should have shorter hair stems from the stuffy belief about how women should behave. Long hair means you're stuck in the 1970's or it says unprofessional or some other crap. I say to hell with that! If a woman has thinning hair and cuts it I certainly don't blame her but if she chose to grow it out and style it nicely, who cares?

At one time I nearly bought into this idea. After I chopped off 5 inches (sniffs), I'm starting to realize the hair growth I'm capable of is something people admire, so why not keep it long forever?

EdG
June 1st, 2015, 07:51 PM
My theory is that marketers target the least-common-denominator consumer, who is a person with short or medium-length hair. We'll never see advertising targeted at people with long hair because there aren't enough of us.

The status quo is particularly severe for men since most men's hair is a disaster area. I too see no reason to cut my hair just because other men can't grow long hair. :shrug:
Ed

Alun
June 1st, 2015, 10:52 PM
I always think it's a shame when men who have always had long hair, cut it when they get older. It kind of seems they've decided to conform after a lifetime of being themselves. I may be completely wrong of course, it's just my perception, completely unbacked by any facts.

Unicorn

I don't think I will ever conform. I just wouldn't look like me.

I do see some men now growing their hair out when they retire. It's a shame they didn't feel they could do that before, but it's better than the other ay around.

flickm
June 2nd, 2015, 02:29 AM
I have to say, whenever i've been to a hairdresser, (which is not many times), starting from my teens, I've had to be resolutely firm about them not either chopping or thinning my hair. A trim is 1/4" to 1/2" as far as I'm concerned. To a hairdresser, long hair is collar length. I sit watching like a hawk and keep repeating that i want a minimum amount off. You have to be persistent. We have a weird contrast between the romantic image on bodice rippers and movie posters of the luxuriously long haired beauty, and the smart, short haired image that is often pushed at women. On reflection, I think young professional women get bulldozed into shorter styles too - so not just older women. The only time in adulthood that i had my hair cut short was after my daughter was born, when my hair lost condition and started thinning temporarily. I hated it and felt I wasn't me. If you have healthy self esteem and know what you want, i think you are less likely to yield to this type of bullying. I'm glad to see both my daughter and granddaughter are proud to have long hair.

Of course, men face even more pressure, and probably the ONLY time they are given a bit of leeway is when they are older.

I had mine trimmed recently to the length in my second signature pic, and now regret it, but it had got sun damaged at the ends and needed a fresh start. i won't be doing that again!

vega
June 2nd, 2015, 02:39 AM
Flickm love your style girlfriend nice locks

flickm
June 2nd, 2015, 04:11 AM
Flickm love your style girlfriend nice locks

Aw, thank you vega :)

Wusel
June 2nd, 2015, 10:33 AM
My theory is that marketers target the least-common-denominator consumer, who is a person with short or medium-length hair. We'll never see advertising targeted at people with long hair because there aren't enough of us.

The status quo is particularly severe for men since most men's hair is a disaster area. I too see no reason to cut my hair just because other men can't grow long hair. :shrug:
Ed

Oh... I've just realized that you are male.
Great.
The third man I find here.

vpatt
June 2nd, 2015, 06:45 PM
When I was much younger and had waist length hair I was told by at least one person that I needed to cut my hair (as well as stop wearing those sandals and throw away those jeans with holes in them) "because you are married now". Now I have decided to let it grow again and I have not heard any negative comments and have gotten a few compliments. My family seems ok with it. I am 64.

EdG
June 2nd, 2015, 06:51 PM
Great.
The third man I find here.Welcome, Wusel. :waving:

There are a few men on the board. Sometimes, we are hard to distinguish from the ladies based on photos of the backs of our heads. ;)
Ed

trolleypup
June 3rd, 2015, 12:06 AM
Great.
Ahaha! We do a lot of sneaking around! :misskim:

Amapola
June 3rd, 2015, 08:01 AM
That's interesting that most men feel a great deal of pressure to conform and have short hair. Not being a man I can't say for sure, but it seems like in my area that this would not be the case. You see a LOT of men here with long hair. A LOT. Part of it has to do with all the Native men that live here. So maybe it's just the culture of this area. On the other hand, I don't know if maybe when you try to get a job etc. that potential hirers discriminate against men with long hair. It doesn't seem like it though, as I have been to the state legislature session and you see senators and representatives with long hair too.

The older I get, the stupider all that seems to me. Why would anyone care if you "look" professional? To me, the question is, can you do your job properly or not? And if you can, then who cares if you have knee-length hair dyed green and purple, or shave your head and spray paint it green?

Jadestorm
June 3rd, 2015, 08:20 AM
I have gotten some remarks in the last 7 years or so (I'm 35) about being too old for hair this long. I think that's totally ridiculous and I honestly couldn't care less if people think I should cut my hair. Comments like that aren't even worthy a response ;)
I don't think any age is too old for (very) long hair, as long as you're able to keep it clean and looking nice. Being honest I do think some women look very beautiful being older and with long hair and others don't. But, as long as THEY are happy, it's none of my concern.

diggem
June 3rd, 2015, 12:34 PM
I have gotten some remarks in the last 7 years or so (I'm 35) about being too old for hair this long. I think that's totally ridiculous and I honestly couldn't care less if people think I should cut my hair. Comments like that aren't even worthy a response ;)
I don't think any age is too old for (very) long hair, as long as you're able to keep it clean and looking nice. Being honest I do think some women look very beautiful being older and with long hair and others don't. But, as long as THEY are happy, it's none of my concern.

Hi Jadestorm,

I think you may have it the nail on the head on this one. I too think it is ridiculous to correlate long hair and age. I also find it unsympathetic when your hair was either cut too short or had to be because of damage or the like and just say "why are you sad, it'll grow back". But, back to the point, I think attitude has more to do with how someone looks than their actual looks. I've seen some very large people, who've had an amazing attitude and they always come across as beautiful. I've also seen some gorgeous women, who's attitude just makes them look ugly.

So, if you are happy with the way you look, long hair or not, at whatever age you are, then you look great. If someone doesn't like that, they can go pound sand.

diggem

Wusel
June 3rd, 2015, 02:25 PM
Welcome, Wusel. :waving:

There are a few men on the board. Sometimes, we are hard to distinguish from the ladies based on photos of the backs of our heads. ;)
Ed

Yes... :D
I'm so sorry to say this but the first thought that came to my mind when I read that you are a man was "But this bun looks so female!"
It's the MOST STUPID STUPIDITY, I know.
Thinking that a BUN has a gender :D
I'm too influenced by the world around me.
I've never seen a bun on a man in real life but very often on women so my Pavlov's dog brain produces the thought when seeing a bun: Bun => Woman.
SO STUPID! :D
And I feel sorry and ashamed.

unicornlady
June 3rd, 2015, 03:23 PM
The older I get, the stupider all that seems to me. Why would anyone care if you "look" professional? To me, the question is, can you do your job properly or not? And if you can, then who cares if you have knee-length hair dyed green and purple, or shave your head and spray paint it green?

Because people are so shallow that they will not just judge others based on looks, but also get angry whenever proven wrong. ;)

EdG
June 3rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
I'm so sorry to say this but the first thought that came to my mind when I read that you are a man was "But this bun looks so female!"
I've never seen a bun on a man in real life but very often on women so my Pavlov's dog brain produces the thought when seeing a bun: Bun => Woman.
And I feel sorry and ashamed.Don't feel bad. I consider that a complement. :)
Ed

trolleypup
June 3rd, 2015, 07:18 PM
What I have noticed, YMMV, the further you go towards the conservative end of the spectrum the more value is place on conformity at any price, even at the expense of competence. I live out at the other end of the spectrum...and competence is valued over conformity.

diggem
June 4th, 2015, 12:28 PM
What, is this thread going to become "Too male for long hair"? :horse:

I personally dislike (I don't like using the word "hate") it when some one says "You're too ...", because right after it is some kind of judgement. I, personally, don't like long hair on me (a man), but appreciate the look of healthy hair on anyone. I know my wife notes men with long hair. I'm not jealous. We are married, not dead.

diggem

vpatt
June 4th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I guess coming up in the 60's gave me a whole different attitude towards hair. I still remember hearing all the negative comments about boys having long hair. I remember thinking how foolish those people sounded. After all it is hair and it is mostly all different even if cut the same......no need to make people feel bad about their choice of style or length. One of my grandsons alternates between short and long hair. When it grows out it is curly and I always call him Arlo, lol. I love his hair long. My other grandsons have shorter hair and they are just as handsome, in my opinion, lol.

Crumpet
June 4th, 2015, 08:30 PM
No one has ever told me I was too old for long hair (I'm 69).

I think many people associate long hair as something only young people should enjoy..which is a ton of malarkey. Some people think that just because an older person sports long hair that they are trying to recapture their youth. Hogwash!

As to "when do older people spend so much money to look younger"...because our culture is youth oriented and God forbid if you should allow yourself to age naturally.
I approve of your use of 'malarkey' and 'hogwash'. Entirely appropriate response (and underused words sadly)

Amapola
June 4th, 2015, 08:35 PM
What I have noticed, YMMV, the further you go towards the conservative end of the spectrum the more value is place on conformity at any price, even at the expense of competence. I live out at the other end of the spectrum...and competence is valued over conformity.

That's an interesting observation and it does make some sense... that's what it means to be conservative, after all.

I have to say though, I by far prefer competence over conformity. I would **so** not make it in the corporate world. :lol:

EdG
June 4th, 2015, 08:50 PM
What, is this thread going to become "Too male for long hair"? :horse:Some "reason" is always cited: too old, too short, too male, too something... They're all silly. :lol:
Ed

yahirwaO.o
June 4th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Some "reason" is always cited: too old, too short, too male, too something... They're all silly. :lol:
Ed

Yeah I agree, we guys have it hard already on other life aspects, and long hair itself is pretty much a bit of shock, now being old is a total case apart. :rolleyes:

Crumpet
June 4th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I don't know what it is about long hair but it seems to make people so much more reasonable -- I've been enjoying these responses from all of you (as usual). We're from all over the world, many different ages, different genders, ethnicities, sexualities, and yet so accepting of difference. This is why I love the LHC.

Oh, and yes, long hair is amazing at every age. I think I do more turnarounds for older women and men with long hair because its so rare.

pili
June 4th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Some "reason" is always cited: too old, too short, too male, too something... They're all silly. :lol:
Ed

Yup

Yeah I agree, we guys have it hard already on other life aspects, and long hair itself is pretty much a bit of shock, now being old is a total case apart. :rolleyes:

I wish DH could grow his hair long. Unfortunately, it has thinned to the point where he just has me shave it all off with no guard. He had longer har (chin) when we had our littles, but then got rid of it. Two of his older brothers have thick APL hair, and all of them look like each other. Oh, well. He said he may grow his beard. :)

hennalonghair
June 4th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Great.

Welcome, Wusel. :waving:

Ed

Ahaha! We do a lot of sneaking around! :misskim:

Don't feel bad. I consider that a complement. :)
Ed
This was priceless:rollin:
Don't beat yourself up Wusel. It IS a compliment to Ed.
That was awesome. So cute:sun:

Beezle
June 5th, 2015, 12:35 AM
My niece, who is 43, has frequently suggested I cut my hair into a "more flattering style". She and her mother both think I should cut my hair. By whatsapp we were having a conversation about how she was offended that people have made comments that she is too old for her below shoulder length, curly (and tortured) hair! I commiserated and said that our hair choice is our own and everyone else can go hang. I then said that I had seen a photo of me from the side and my sagging jawline was so obvious with my scrawny bun but I had decided that my other option of short hair would certainly not disguise my age, or chin(s). Her suggestion was immediate - get it cut to jaw length! It seems I can't be permitted to be in charge of my own hair. And at 61 I am far too old to have anything but short hair, in other peoples opinion! Why is my hair choice such a problem to others?

Yarrow
June 5th, 2015, 02:04 AM
People always like to suggest new styles on others.
Oh, you can do this and that. Sometimes it's things they wouldn't want to do themselves.
My mom keeps telling me to dye my hair but she doesn't dye hers herself.
I remember watching a YouTube video with a girl explaining her hair routine 5 years ago. She said it took her five years to grow her hair that long and I was thinking : 5 years! I will be old to wear long hair by then!
And now 5 years later, I just feel amused at my younger self for thinking like that. If I don't grow it now, when then?
And I really don't know where I got the notion from that there is a age cut off for long hair.
It is not like there is an official dress code on what you have to sport in what stage of your life. But there are a lot of messages that seem to have gotten drilled in my subconscious.

surruh
June 5th, 2015, 02:06 AM

Really never? I guess "the man bun" has not become a thing where you live. I see guys now alllll the time with buns.

flickm
June 5th, 2015, 08:06 AM
And now 5 years later, I just feel amused at my younger self for thinking like that. If I don't grow it now, when then?
And I really don't know where I got the notion from that there is a age cut off for long hair.
It is not like there is an official dress code on what you have to sport in what stage of your life. But there are a lot of messages that seem to have gotten drilled in my subconscious.

Seems this is very much a Western cultural thing. Both women and men in other cultures have long hair into old age. Look at Indian women, Tibetans of both genders, Native American people, Peruvian people, and many more.

truepeacenik
June 5th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Ed is one of the men who can do a real bun, and not the small topknot man bun.
He's also new to buns. He does react to some pressure.

Tpn, upon meeting EdG at a meet (some hours in): you are developing some nice white stripes. (Ed's response is less than enthusiastic.)
One year later: that silver is coming in nicely. (Ed's response is still unenthusiastic)
Yet another year: Ed, I'd kill for those stripes. Why do you hide them? (Ed listens a bit more. Realizing he's got something, here?)
Recent meet: Ed, I love that you are rocking the Silver Swirl. Keep it up. (People are now giving him sticks)

One reason long hair is currently something for younger adults is a perception of long hair = free thinking.
So in a professional environment, one has to have some signal that shows you will toe the company line, or at least look like it. For some reason, excellence in work doesn't always do that for more conservative, image oriented firms.
Think of industries that must cultivate trust: banking, real estate, medicine.
Power =conformity in appearance, many times.
(Creatives, self employed, tech, liberal cities all less so, but there's an expectation that creatives will look, within certain constraints, creative)

As a reporter, I developed a sense of when to contain hair and when it could be down.

pili
June 5th, 2015, 10:15 AM

Tpn, upon meeting EdG at a meet (some hours in): you are developing some nice white stripes. (Ed's response is less than enthusiastic.)
One year later: that silver is coming in nicely. (Ed's response is still unenthusiastic)
Yet another year: Ed, I'd kill for those stripes. Why do you hide them? (Ed listens a bit more. Realizing he's got something, here?)
Recent meet: Ed, I love that you are rocking the Silver Swirl. Keep it up. (People are now giving him sticks)

One reason long hair is currently something for younger adults is a perception of long hair = free thinking.
So in a professional environment, one has to have some signal that shows you will toe the company line, or at least look like it. For some reason, excellence in work doesn't always do that for more conservative, image oriented firms.
Think of industries that must cultivate trust: banking, real estate, medicine.
Power =conformity in appearance, many times.
(Creatives, self employed, tech, liberal cities all less so, but there's an expectation that creatives will look, within certain constraints, creative)

As a reporter, I developed a sense of when to contain hair and when it could be down.

So true. Long ago I worked for the Mouse. They have an extremely strict dress/appearance code there (for good reason). Their guidelines are very conservative, while allowing for cultural/ethnic differences. Braids and dreads on African Americans were allowed. Extremely long hair on women was allowed as long as it was neat and professional (one co-worker wore hers in a floor length braid) However, if you worked for any of the creative branches of the company (animation, performer, imagineering, development) then those rules did not apply. Anything was allowed as long as it did not offend: long hair on men, beards, sleeve tattoos, piercings, casual clothing, braids and dreads for non-AA.

diggem
June 5th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Ed

Hey EdG,

I think saying "silly" is putting it nicely.

diggem

vpatt
June 5th, 2015, 12:34 PM
My niece, who is 43, has frequently suggested I cut my hair into a "more flattering style". She and her mother both think I should cut my hair. By whatsapp we were having a conversation about how she was offended that people have made comments that she is too old for her below shoulder length, curly (and tortured) hair! I commiserated and said that our hair choice is our own and everyone else can go hang. I then said that I had seen a photo of me from the side and my sagging jawline was so obvious with my scrawny bun but I had decided that my other option of short hair would certainly not disguise my age, or chin(s). Her suggestion was immediate - get it cut to jaw length! It seems I can't be permitted to be in charge of my own hair. And at 61 I am far too old to have anything but short hair, in other peoples opinion! Why is my hair choice such a problem to others?

I was just thinking yesterday that it is a shame about my jawline and maybe i should stick with shorter hair....and then I came to my senses and realized nothing is going to hide my flaws. If they don't like it they may avert their gaze.

EdG
June 5th, 2015, 12:34 PM

Recent meet: Ed, I love that you are rocking the Silver Swirl. Keep it up. (People are now giving him sticks)This is very true.

At one time, I used to dread that I was turning gray. That was one reason why I avoided putting my hair up or tying it back - the silvers would be exposed.

With encouragement from truepeacenik and others, I learned that silvers can be desirable.

So, I went from hiding my silvers to flaunting them. truepeacenik has once again turned a bug into a feature. ;)

So true. Long ago I worked for the Mouse. They have an extremely strict dress/appearance code there (for good reason). Their guidelines are very conservative, while allowing for cultural/ethnic differences. Braids and dreads on African Americans were allowed. Extremely long hair on women was allowed as long as it was neat and professional (one co-worker wore hers in a floor length braid) However, if you worked for any of the creative branches of the company (animation, performer, imagineering, development) then those rules did not apply. Anything was allowed as long as it did not offend: long hair on men, beards, sleeve tattoos, piercings, casual clothing, braids and dreads for non-AA.diggem's avatar reminds me of my long-time joke: "I am an engineer, like Dilbert, but not very much like Dilbert". :rollin:

Hey EdG,

I think saying "silly" is putting it nicely.

diggemYes, I picked a word that wouldn't cause the mod board to light up. :)
Ed

Alun
June 5th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Great.

There are more than 3 of us, but I don't think we post as much.

Oh, and Ed, I'm also an engineer, but a patent agent as well.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 5th, 2015, 08:28 PM
There are indeed quite a few men here, of which I am not one :p

Always so good to hear from them and get the views from the other side of the fence! The hair is also well, awesome!

neko_kawaii
June 5th, 2015, 08:38 PM
truepeacenik has once again turned a bug into a feature. ;)

Are you sure the silvers aren't an exploit?

EdG
June 5th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Oh, and Ed, I'm also an engineer, but a patent agent as well.Cool. I work with patent attorneys all the time.

There are indeed quite a few men here, of which I am not one :p

Always so good to hear from them and get the views from the other side of the fence! The hair is also well, awesome!I always thought the genius of the LHC was that it is a hair board, not just a men's or women's hair board like the sites that preceded it.

Are you sure the silvers aren't an exploit?Somewhere in the meet reports, there is a sequence involving irresistible silvers, pawing, and hair guards. :whistle:
Ed

Sarahlabyrinth
June 5th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I always thought the genius of the LHC was that it is a hair board, not just a men's or women's hair board like the sites that preceded it.

Ed[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is, and a great, supportive place to be.

trolleypup
June 7th, 2015, 09:11 PM
What, is this thread going to become "Too male for long hair"? :horse:
I think men are allowed to have grey hair IF it is short! Long hair defaults to women's rules. :tongueincheek:

You know how it is, you always admire what you don't have...thus, I like streaks and stripes...

diggem
June 8th, 2015, 11:27 AM
You know how it is, you always admire what you don't have...thus, I like streaks and stripes...

Yes, I think this is why people with straight hair want curly and vice versa.

diggem

brickworld13
June 8th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I'm seeing friends who are no older than mid-twenties getting the "mom haircuts". They all preach that it's just so much easier to sport a bob/pixie/whatever than learn how to style it out of baby's reach. I remember reading about one friend deciding it was time to cut back to collarbone after her hair got caught in her armpit. I still get mistaken for a teenager. A young teenager. All this obsessing over appearances and image is quite ridiculous.

browneyedsusan
June 8th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I got asked for ID while purchasing alcohol at the grocery. This store ID's everyone under 40. I laughed with the clerk, and joked that she was my new best friend. She said that there was no way I was 48, and it must be the hair.
Some say long hair ages a person, others say it make you look young, whatever. Everybody has an opinion. I like to mess with it sometimes, so it's more fun to keep it long. (On days I don't want to mess, a bun and a stick make it look great in about 10 seconds!)

longhairmomof7
June 9th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Never too old!! <3 <3

kmoc123
June 9th, 2015, 09:33 PM
My Mom tells me I am too old for long hair...I am 55 and have classic length...I don't care what she or anyone else has to say about it! It's mine. I don't want helmet hair or those horrible bi-level old lady hair cuts.

Dragon Faery
June 10th, 2015, 05:44 AM
I haven't gotten any comments about age and length yet, and I don't know if I will, since where I live people still respect long hair. However, I haven't yet made it to any of the more extreme lengths (I'd consider Classic the gateway to those), and I'm still only barely into my 30s. So we'll see. I do have a substantial white streak coming in, and when non-local friends hear me mention that, they tend to react with dismay and ask what I'm going to DO about it. (Nothing! I can't be bothered, and I like white.) It's like my decision to accept the inevitable signs of aging somehow invalidates their own attempts to avoid it. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure people will have a lot to say about my eventual decision to dye my hair purple or teal as the whim strikes me, once I have enough whites to make it noticeable. Knee-length (hopefully) purple hair on someone past the age of 50 and (gasp!) a pastor's wife is likely worthy of some kind of damnation. But we'll see when I get there. ;)

browneyedsusan
June 13th, 2015, 08:09 AM
I haven't gotten any comments about age and length yet, and I don't know if I will, since where I live people still respect long hair. However, I haven't yet made it to any of the more extreme lengths (I'd consider Classic the gateway to those), and I'm still only barely into my 30s. So we'll see. I do have a substantial white streak coming in, and when non-local friends hear me mention that, they tend to react with dismay and ask what I'm going to DO about it. (Nothing! I can't be bothered, and I like white.) It's like my decision to accept the inevitable signs of aging somehow invalidates their own attempts to avoid it. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure people will have a lot to say about my eventual decision to dye my hair purple or teal as the whim strikes me, once I have enough whites to make it noticeable. Knee-length (hopefully) purple hair on someone past the age of 50 and (gasp!) a pastor's wife is likely worthy of some kind of damnation. But we'll see when I get there. ;)

*snaps* for Dragon Faery!
So much AWESOMENESS!!!

truepeacenik
June 13th, 2015, 09:20 AM
This is very true.

At one time, I used to dread that I was turning gray. That was one reason why I avoided putting my hair up or tying it back - the silvers would be exposed.

With encouragement from truepeacenik and others, I learned that silvers can be desirable.

So, I went from hiding my silvers to flaunting them. truepeacenik has once again turned a bug into a feature.
Ed

Just return the favor as people wax rhapsodic over silver, but not the fading red/Sandy look I'll have for many years, first.

I turn bugs into features as that is simpler than fixing the bug. ;)

truepeacenik
June 13th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I'm seeing friends who are no older than mid-twenties getting the "mom haircuts". They all preach that it's just so much easier to sport a bob/pixie/whatever than learn how to style it out of baby's reach. I remember reading about one friend deciding it was time to cut back to collarbone after her hair got caught in her armpit. I still get mistaken for a teenager. A young teenager. All this obsessing over appearances and image is quite ridiculous.
Aside from use as reins, braids were perfect for me at mid back. Giddy up, mama!
I wore stud earrings as my concession. But with glasses and longer hair, grabbing is going to happen. I dealt with it. Only needed to use my back up glasses once or twice.

I got asked for ID while purchasing alcohol at the grocery. This store ID's everyone under 40. I laughed with the clerk, and joked that she was my new best friend. She said that there was no way I was 48, and it must be the hair.
Some say long hair ages a person, others say it make you look young, whatever. Everybody has an opinion. I like to mess with it sometimes, so it's more fun to keep it long. (On days I don't want to mess, a bun and a stick make it look great in about 10 seconds!)

I'm betting people's reactions say more about them than the longhair.

Gertrude
June 13th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I am mid forties with lots of wrinkles. Very thin skin, collagen disorder. Not sun damage, just wrinkles. I don't have any greys yet. I get, but only from women, let's hear it for the sisterhood remarks about being a 1748 or 1645 or 1880.

As in teenager from the back, old crinkle- chops from the front. There's also this terrible, terrible power I have. If a young man should see me from the back, and become attracted to me, then see the front and get a fright, his manhood will shrivel! and fall off! One author wrote a piece about cutting off her shoulder length hair as she had that experience. Well a young man saw her hair, then saw her face and looked very disappointed.

Well so what? Life is full of disappointment for the lot of us. He will survive (-;

EdG
June 13th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Just return the favor as people wax rhapsodic over silver, but not the fading red/Sandy look I'll have for many years, first.

I turn bugs into features as that is simpler than fixing the bug. ;)I will do that. truepeacenik, I am certain your hair color will always be thudworthy. :thud:
Ed

reilly0167
October 24th, 2015, 04:47 PM
My sister thinks the same way about older women with long hair...I disagree whole heartedly. Im 47 gonna be 48 in dec. I love my long hair its almost bsl...I say work it ladies!

Mammasaurusrex
October 28th, 2015, 07:10 PM
When I was little I used to think only grandmas had long hair. I guess thanks to illustrations in story books, I thought all grandmas had long braids or giant messy buns on top of their head. I am older now and still think it is so cool to see older women with long hair. There is this lady that works at the dollar store near my house. She is probably in her sixties and has the longest thickest braid Ive ever seen in my life. It looks so healthy! And its completely silver. Beautiful!

chen bao jun
October 29th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Reading over on another thread about hair loss issues that can show up when older due to menopause or having to take medication, I feel more than ever that if you are older and have long thick hair, you are blessed, should be grateful, should enjoy a nd NOT cut.

luvlonghair75
October 29th, 2015, 07:53 AM
I disagree with cutting long hair just because of age. Work with it! Got hot flashes? Stick it up in a bun! How difficult can it be? I think it's sheer laziness and the stupidity of "pressures of society" that cause the elderly women to cut perfectly good hair. There's a bunch of older ladies in church with short hair and I try to visualize them with long(er) hair. How beautiful it would be! Clearly they can continue to dye their aging hair, but not let it go it's natural course? SMH

astrid92
November 1st, 2015, 08:42 AM
I've been told by my Great Aunt and Grandmother (both on my father's side) that I need to cut my hair and that chin length would suit me. My father's side of the family seems to think that all women should have short hair as it is "easier to take care of" though I fined long hair easier to take care of because you can throw it up in a bun, braid or pony and it is not in my way or in my face, where as short hair would be. My father seems to be the only person on his side of the family that likes my long hair and has stated that he prefers seeing longer hair (meaning anything longer than chin length) on women. I happen to have a round face (just like everyone else in my family) and I have had chin length hair in the past and I can confidently say that long hair suits me better than short hair. My Mother has also over the last two years has grown her hair from a longish pixie cut to around armpit length but does not want to grow it longer as it has gotten thin from years of dying it.

astrid92
November 1st, 2015, 08:46 AM
I almost forgot I'm 23 and my mother is 57. my Great Aunt and Grandmother are both in their 80s and get hair cuts every two weeks.

Soltimus
November 1st, 2015, 10:50 AM
I have a friend, a person who's usually not so judgemental, say about another friend who had around hip length hair that it was immature, that only small girls had that kind of hair. It was quite strange! She herself has always had hair somewhere between BSL and waist, but shortly after her first child was born she cut her hair off. She thinks it's easier, but also that it's not fitting for someone her age (now 35) to have hair like that. Well, I think she's loosened up a bit, but still I think this mentally is not unusual. I've heard many people say that women should cut their hair short when they turn 40. I've seen it in many magazines as well. I wouldn't listen to it myself as I think it's stupid and crap advice, but it seems to be a thing some people actually live by. I hope it'll change in the future. Even now I see more and more people have longer hair than I've been used to seeing in my country (Denmark).

Christine_O
November 1st, 2015, 04:53 PM
I personally like to see so many people who keep their hair cut and styled. It keeps the beauticians employed. In the mean time, I'll worry what other people think of the way I keep my hair when they come at me with scissors. I'm 59 and have realized that I will never like my hair short. It will never do what I want it to no matter how much time I give it. My hair and I reach an understanding at the point where I can start braiding it again, so that's where I'm going. How far I get depends on where I reach terminal length.

sugar&nutmeg
November 1st, 2015, 08:31 PM
I'm 62, and I hope I'm not too old for long hair, because I'm growing out a pixie (again). Part of me thinks I'm crazy...but then, that's not really news. :wink:

Really, it's more that I'm kicking myself for cutting it 3 years ago (though I did enjoy it short for quite a while) and losing that time I could have had with long hair. Those around my age will understand what I mean, I think.

I don't really care what others think, so that's not part of the equation. In fact, I kind of enjoy shaking up people's preconceived notions of what a 60+ yo woman 'should' do and look like.

I just hope I'll have a lot of years, once it's grown, to be able to care for it properly, and enjoy it.

ebaviisakas
November 1st, 2015, 09:33 PM
I have never seen someone with long hair and thought "they look too old for long hair". I am from a place where most women after 40 cut off their hair so it does stick out but in a positive way. Silver hair looks especially good in braids I think.

Groovy Granny
November 1st, 2015, 09:35 PM
Nope...at 63+ I AM NOT TOO OLD FOR LONG HAIR!!!!

I bought into that thinking for too long, and was even told that by a few people...and my reply was :wigtongue...and did it anyway :D

In the past my hair was cut and styled impulsively :doh: and I regret long lengths I have lost over the years :(

Now to be consciously making the decision to grow it long, and having a whole new outlook on styling and accessories has been such a great joy!:happydance:

It is so liberating and self affirming to be able to express myself in this way, and I hope to be an inspiration to other women in my area, where the mindset is to 'curl up and dye' :p

Be true to yourselves and grow long ladies.....grow long :cheer:

hanne jensen
November 2nd, 2015, 03:03 AM
Amen, GG! I'm 56 and just reached waist. My goal is terminal because I'm curious how long it can grow.

Mimha
November 2nd, 2015, 05:03 AM
Nope...at 63+ I AM NOT TOO OLD FOR LONG HAIR!!!!

I bought into that thinking for too long, and was even told that by a few people...and my reply was :wigtongue...and did it anyway :D

Ha ha ha ha ha, I love you, Groovy G ! I remember when I was between 15 and 20, people sometimes told me that I looked totally out of my time with my bun. I looked like "an ancestor", lol. I have almost never changed my way (= long to super long hair, braid or bun, bun or braid^^), except for some years in between, with a couple of more drastic cuts. For me, my bun or my braid were simply "me". I think I have never really had any concern about fitting in the mainstream or not. And now that I am 50, very few people would even dare tell me anything about my hair. First, because my hair is just in its best shape ever, and second, because it's not even a matter of discussion. :draw: The funniest thing is that now that I could afford looking like an ancestor, nobody believes me when I tell them I am 50 ! :laugh:

(...) I hope to be an inspiration to other women in my area, where the mindset is to 'curl up and dye' :p

You mean "curl up and die", I suppose...? :rollin:

Martician
November 2nd, 2015, 07:58 AM
I guess that for some people long hair is always too long... I live in a small village and now and then I still see some old ladies with beautiful buns... But is becoming rare. :( My grandmother also had long hair once but she cutted it before I was born... In my country there's currently a trend of long hairs but mostly among teenagers... Although that, I feel like there's a stigma in woman that is starting their adulthood, like me, that had their hair past the hip... my mom usually tells me that once I become a mother I won't have time or pacience for my hair... I just think people see long hair as a waste of time and money and mostly I think that those people don't know how to respect other likes and opinions... It's just rude to say something like 'it looks bad on you' or 'it makes you look old' on something you like...

vpatt
November 2nd, 2015, 09:34 AM
I agree it is rude to say bad things about others hair choices. I don't do that and I don't expect others to treat me that way. I became very tolerant of hair choices at a young age. Coming up in the 50/60's I heard so much about 'long haired freaks'. It really made me like long or different hair more, lol. I bleached my hair for a long time and I thought a lot about orange and purple dye, but I never did it. Hmmmm, I guess it is not too late.......but now I like my silvers.

embee
November 2nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
I've had long, I've had short. I cut when I had children, but there was no LHC to tell me how to care for long hair quickly and easily. It was time consuming to wash daily and dry, long hair got in my way cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, all the mom-things. Bun? How to do that? No clue then.

Now I know, it only takes a minute and it works all day long. :)

The only time I'll be too old is when I cannot care for it at all, unable to comb, brush, bun. Unless someone decides to be kind and do it for me.

Alun
November 3rd, 2015, 07:54 PM

Unicorn

My old friend John, who I went to college with, cut his hair short when he went bald on top, under pressure from his family. Cutting it aged him overnight. Sad, but not uncommon.

Alun
November 3rd, 2015, 08:00 PM
Great.

? There are at least 4 just in this thread, i.e. me, EdG, TrolleyPup and Bte. Apologies if I missed anyone.

ETA: Oh dear, I just realised I missed the original poster, Diggem. OTOH, I'm not sure if he actually has long hair (?). The rest of us do.

Clarkie
November 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM
I've had long, I've had short. I cut when I had children, but there was no LHC to tell me how to care for long hair quickly and easily. It was time consuming to wash daily and dry, long hair got in my way cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, all the mom-things. Bun? How to do that? No clue then.

The only time I'll be too old is when I cannot care for it at all, unable to comb, brush, bun. Unless someone decides to be kind and do it for me.

Yes!! This^^^^ I've always liked myself better with long hair but when my kids were little I was under the (false) impression that short hair was easier and quicker. Once the children got a bit older and I had more time for myself again I attempted many times to grow my hair but each time I'd go for a "trim" (mistakenly thinking I needed to) I'd end up with way more hair on the floor then what I wanted. Finally in March of 2014 the "lightbulb" went off and I realized that if I wanted long hair I should just let it grow. Haven't set foot in a salon since. Sooooo glad I found LHC and all the wonderful folks here.
No one is ever "too old" to do anything in my opinion. Life is too short. Do what makes you happy.

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2015, 09:56 PM
Amen, GG! I'm 56 and just reached waist. My goal is terminal because I'm curious how long it can grow.
:thumbsup: You go girl!!
While I am curious, I know I couldn't hack it...and I know hubby wouldn't be happy with it too long either.
Between waist and hip is good for me; it looks and feels long, I can do a lot with it now. :)

Ha ha ha ha ha, I love you, Groovy G ! I remember when I was between 15 and 20, people sometimes told me that I looked totally out of my time with my bun. I looked like "an ancestor", lol. I have almost never changed my way (= long to super long hair, braid or bun, bun or braid^^), except for some years in between, with a couple of more drastic cuts. For me, my bun or my braid were simply "me". I think I have never really had any concern about fitting in the mainstream or not. And now that I am 50, very few people would even dare tell me anything about my hair. First, because my hair is just in its best shape ever, and second, because it's not even a matter of discussion. :draw: The funniest thing is that now that I could afford looking like an ancestor, nobody believes me when I tell them I am 50 ! :laugh:
You mean "curl up and die", I suppose...? :rollin:
LOL Thanks (((hugs)))
I mean both...dye and die :p
Good for you knowing what you wanted; I was always impulsive with my hair (could kick myself...it could have been so long) :doh:
BUT at least NOW I know what I want and am going for it; this is the longest my hair has been...ever :happydance:

Shorter hair is much more work; I had to wash, blowdry and style it DAILY...and all those products...yuck!
Now a quick detangle...throw it up in a hair toy and forget it for the day;and only 1-2 shampoos a week...EASY PEASY!!!!!

True, when I was younger I had no idea what to do except for a pony tail, barrette,or flipped braid under my nurse's cap; then 20 years ago I also used a bun cage and did french braids.

To think of all the options now, but here most still don't have a clue; I must look like a senile granny (or one with no fashion sense lol) I'm sure :D

sugar&nutmeg
November 4th, 2015, 07:01 AM
GG, I can't believe you look like a senile granny. Otoh, given what 'fashion' is like these days, who wants any?? I'll bet you have lots of style, which is entirely different.

Around here, wearing long hair down in any way, when you're "too old", is more likely to make people question your state of mind. Same with a braid--braids are for children. And a bun is definitely seen as "old-fashioned", and like "a little old lady" (both are a bad thing).

Um...but I am a little old lady (in skirts and yes, shawls in season). But better that perception wearing a bun, than 'the haircut' and looking indistinguishable from 'a little old man' from the back! Now, if only I could have remembered that before I did the big chop...:doh:

Here's to subversive, stereotype-challenging 'little old ladies'! :toast:

Groovy Granny
November 4th, 2015, 12:08 PM
GG, I can't believe you look like a senile granny. Otoh, given what 'fashion' is like these days, who wants any?? I'll bet you have lots of style, which is entirely different.

Around here, wearing long hair down in any way, when you're "too old", is more likely to make people question your state of mind. Same with a braid--braids are for children. And a bun is definitely seen as "old-fashioned", and like "a little old lady" (both are a bad thing).

Um...but I am a little old lady (in skirts and yes, shawls in season). But better that perception wearing a bun, than 'the haircut' and looking indistinguishable from 'a little old man' from the back! Now, if only I could have remembered that before I did the big chop...:doh:

Here's to subversive, stereotype-challenging 'little old ladies'! :toast:

LOL What you said is what I meant by 'senile'...questioning my state of mind re: my hair ;)

I love long skirts in summer and caught one lady (I am not particularly fond of) checking me out from head to toe with her usual scowl... when leaving CHURCH mind you:doh:.
It was all I could do not to comment to her at the time, and hubby and I had lots of laughs over her obvious dislike of my 'hippie' look later at dinner
Like I care :wigtongue

I wear shawls too....and one is crocheted from the 70s!! ROFLOL :Laugh:

I am sure your hair is softer looking than you think....but I do understand your feelings, having been there (((hugs)))

Just think...it is growing longer EVERY DAY :cheer:

Mimha
November 4th, 2015, 12:33 PM
(...)
LOL Thanks (((hugs)))
I mean both...dye and die :p
Good for you knowing what you wanted; I was always impulsive with my hair (could kick myself...it could have been so long) :doh:
BUT at least NOW I know what I want and am going for it; this is the longest my hair has been...ever :happydance:
(...)
To think of all the options now, but here most still don't have a clue; I must look like a senile granny (or one with no fashion sense lol) I'm sure :D

Yay, so happy for you Groovy G. ! Congrats for the "longest ever" achievement !! ::bottomsup:

It's so nice to enjoy a "part of ourselves" that we had not really worked to its full potential before, and discover so many new sources of enjoyment with it ! I had long hair a major part of my life, but actually I did not really know what to do with it, except my usual braid or bun. And now, thanks to LHC, I have discovered plenty of hairdos to try, and lovely powerful hair "toys" to make my hair life easier and lovelier !

:cheese:

In a side note, I also would like to tell you that I appreciate your cheerful mood and enthusiasm in this forum !! :)

Seeshami
November 4th, 2015, 12:36 PM
If some one tells me I am told old for anything i am going to tell them they are obvisouly to young to have had their mother teach them to mind their business

Groovy Granny
November 4th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Yay, so happy for you Groovy G. ! Congrats for the "longest ever" achievement !! ::bottomsup:

It's so nice to enjoy a "part of ourselves" that we had not really worked to its full potential before, and discover so many new sources of enjoyment with it ! I had long hair a major part of my life, but actually I did not really know what to do with it, except my usual braid or bun. And now, thanks to LHC, I have discovered plenty of hairdos to try, and lovely powerful hair "toys" to make my hair life easier and lovelier !

In a side note, I also would like to tell you that I appreciate your cheerful mood and enthusiasm in this forum !! :)
Well said :thumbsup:
I think the different styles and accessories is what has caught my interest this time around!
Perhaps I was just bored in the past; you get sick of ponytails and flipped braids :hmm:
And being older and silver...I felt I needed to ROCK my look...even if it is just ME that appreciates it :laugh:
Thank you for your congrats....and your 'side note' :flowers:

If some one tells me I am told old for anything i am going to tell them they are obvisouly to young to have had their mother teach them to mind their business
LOL yes :thumbsup:

chen bao jun
November 4th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I always thought I would try to grow my long and natural when I got older as both of my grandmothers had long, natural hair. One of them had classic.

Honestly, I regret now that I did not start growing long hair sooner. I started at 55. It is not so long yet that people make remarks about 'too long' especially because I have curly hair and shrinkage. But I wish it was!!!

I think those of us who are older now (50 plus) tend to think old ladies have short hair because our grandmothers were the flappers grown old who felt sexy and confident and rebellious with bobbed, styled hair and our mothers were born in the 30's and think that 'long' means shoulder length and styled. But now we as the hippies grown old tend to feel sexy and confident and rebellious with long, unstyled hair. Not that I personally was a hippy. But I had an afro--which goes a long way to explain why my hair was not long in my youth. Very cool looking of course but it was the most. destructive. hairstyle. ever. Frying my hair with chemicals, I had longer hair than I did with that afro. I will never forget deciding to get rid of it and realizing that well over a foot of my hair had broken off, without my having had a hair cut and that what was left was in horrific shape, due to all the teasing, and rough handling.

At least I know not to do THAT again in my old age.

I also tried a pixie when I first got married. Not only did my husband hate it, but I discovered that my large head looks like a pumpkin when I have short hair. Never again. It's long hair for me, forever (or at least until arthritis or something of that nature kicks in).

Seeshami
November 4th, 2015, 05:05 PM
LOL yes :thumbsup:
I have been wearing glow in the dark nail polish since my birthday in september. And if anyone tells me i have to stop depending on my level of annoyance they might get the f off look and a snappy NO or they might get some epic when i want your opinion i will give it to you snark. I am in love. I am not sorry and I am not changing because some one thinks I care if they like the way i look. This nail polish is bomb.

Groovy Granny
November 4th, 2015, 05:09 PM
I have been wearing glow in the dark nail polish since my birthday in september. And if anyone tells me i have to stop depending on my level of annoyance they might get the f off look and a snappy NO or they might get some epic when i want your opinion i will give it to you snark. I am in love. I am not sorry and I am not changing because some one thinks I care if they like the way i look. This nail polish is bomb.

I bet it is....going by the cool glowing profile pic you had lol

Sadly I am not quick on the draw with comments, so unless I really am ticked....I will usually be quiet :shrug:

ETA: I have decided to push on to HIP...I am already past my longest length ever in my 63+ years :cheer:

ETA: 3/7/16: I called HIP the last week of February; see avatar ...the longest I have been in my 64+ years:joy:

Glimmer
March 7th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I love all of your attitudes on here. It is just awesome. :)I am happy I am not alone. I have gotten over the whole I am too old for long hair thing. My husband received a job offer in South Carolina so we recently made the move from MO. We could not be happier. I am not working at the moment and have even decided to stop with the hair dye. I haven't touched it in 7 months. I am loving my hair texture and have even grown to love my natural hair again.

I have seen quite a few ladies with long hair that are older and I always think how beautiful their hair is. I spend hours and hours looking at long hair pictures to the point my husband noticed and said, "Look if you want to grow your hair long and have bangs then you go for it." He says no need to dye your hair unless YOU really want to. He likes it natural and gray. I think he might be a keeper. ;)

Cg
March 7th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I had to grow out my hair starting at age 56 for medical reasons -- must always wear a brimmed hat outdoors, which means hair has to be long enough to bun. I don't believe I've ever gotten any negative comments, nor even any nasty looks. Frankly, I doubt anyone cares much about my appearance; they're likely more focused on their own.

Of the Fae
March 7th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I see a lot of teenagers with long hair, but very little older women. In Holland most of them cut it short and spikey.. too bad!
I find long hair on people-yes also men- of any age to be graceful and beautiful! Gray and silver are stunning at great lengths as well! If I reach the age of graying I might stop using henna to get the white hair that runs in my family <3

Edit: I forgot to say that I am a little surprised when people say something about the supposed age limit of long hair, because in the past women would wear very long hair at any age in intricate buns and braids. In the 1920s, short hair was something for hip young flapper girls :P Haha

AmethystLily
March 9th, 2016, 03:38 AM
I don't understand notions like this. First of all, exactly how old is "too old" for long hair? Second, how is it that people can say that long hair "ages a person" and then turn around and say it equals "trying to hold on to one's youth?" Third, some of these SAME people (I suspect) then say that cutting it would take "years" off of their appearance. But then by the previous logic, wouldn't CUTTING it mean "trying to hold on to one's youth?" After all, they're still suggesting a style that in their opinion, makes them younger. Right? Not to mention that cutting long hair has been associated with the youth rebelling against authority. So those people would rather see something that's a "negative" symbol of youth while railing against the idea of "trying to hold on to one's youth?" What in-the-name-of-Davy-Jones kind of logic is that?

bunneh.
March 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I guess it depends from person to person. Some people look better with long hair, some look better with short hair, some look great in any length. Some look younger with shorter hair, others with longer. But ultimately the question is what pleases YOU. What do YOU want? I don't think anyone's opinion should matter so much that you make decisions based solely on that (even if it's an opinion from your own parent). If you love long hair, if you're willing to take care of it, if you love how you look with long hair, why listen to someone else telling you to cut it, that you look better/younger with short hair? You have to remember that YOU will be the person looking at yourself the most often, taking care of your hair and styling it the way you like. You're living for yourself, you make choices for yourself not someone else. If someone asks you "Why don't you cut it?" explain to them that long hair is a passion to you, that you like long hair, you like taking care of it, you like wearing different updos or whatever.

browneyedsusan
March 9th, 2016, 09:09 AM
@Groovy Granny: Mine is in "longest ever" category too.

-----------

I just added a bright color (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/25190165549/in/datetaken/) to the underlayer for fun. 49 isn't too old for that sort of thing, is it? :spitting:

No.
The answer is, "no, it most certainly is not."

Groovy Granny
March 9th, 2016, 12:59 PM
@Groovy Granny: Mine is in "longest ever" category too.

-----------

I just added a bright color (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/25190165549/in/datetaken/) to the underlayer for fun. 49 isn't too old for that sort of thing, is it? :spitting:

No.
The answer is, "no, it most certainly is not."

I agree...it is NOT; you go girl...it looks awesome :thumbsup:

sugar&nutmeg
March 9th, 2016, 04:19 PM
I'm 62 years old. I do not want to look 'younger'. I reject (have always rejected) the notion that 'younger' = somehow 'better', the goal to which I must strive until I drop dead. Pfft! No.

I don't care whether I might 'look better' with shorter hair. I don't care if I look 'old fashioned' (I am), or 'like a grandma' (I'm not, hard to manage that, w/o children :) ). I'm letting my hair grow because it will be easier, and because I miss my long hair.

This is not about hair. This is about personal autonomy.

If someone had the effrontery to tell me I was "too old for long hair", I'd probably just ignore them. Pointedly.