PDA

View Full Version : Hair is always falling out?

Sableringlets
May 27th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I've been dealing with this problem for years. I went to a derm who told me what I could experience sometimes is the side effect of telogen effluvium. It does make sense, because if you experienced a lot of stress 2 months ago you'd probably start seeing a lot of hair fall out now.

The problem is, I keep dealing with this issue! And I try really, REALLY hard to keep stress at a minimum but it's not always possible. What I did stupidly that I thought would help was chopped off my hair. I don't know why I thought having shorter hair would help but it didn't.

My hair falls out everywhere. It's gross and messy. At work it's embarrassing to give a coworker a stack of papers and there's a hair right on it. Yuck.

No matter what I do, my hair keeps falling out like this. I seem to shed 24/7. Is there anything I can do?

quirkybookworm
May 27th, 2015, 05:06 PM
I dealt with telogen effluvium earlier this year due to a new medication. It was truly terrible. To look down and see chunks of hair falling out of your head is something I don't wish on anyone. It took months for it to stop. I can't even imagine having to deal with it again. I know you've probably heard it a million times, but my advice is to go and see a doctor. If this is a continuing problem - it may not be telogen effluvium (though it also could be.). It could be a variety of different things - hormone imbalance, anemia, vitamin deficiency, thyroid problem, etc. Maybe it's something that can be fixed, and you'll never have to deal with it again.
If it is TE - the best thing to do is get rid of the cause. If the cause is stress, then you have to de-stress (as impossible as that may seem!). Go for a nice walk, get into crafting, eat some chocolate, try some yoga. Do whatever works for you.
I really do hope that it stops soon, and that you never have to deal with it again. Hair loss is absolutely awful.

Pamala513
May 27th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Are you sure it isn't because your ferritin is low?

Anywhere
May 27th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Has the hair falling out been happening only since the stressful situation? Have you been highly stressed often in the past and always had your hair fall out after?

My hair sheds constantly too, but it's for different reasons (anemia and what I believe is SD) and it's been doing that since I started paying attention to my hair at 16 (i'm almost 22 now). It might just be something you have to kind of learn to live with if there isn't a clear way to decrease your stress. Doing scalp massages and other relaxing things may help a little over time.

longhairmomof7
May 27th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Hugs!! I am losing hair still at 10 month pp. Usually I stop shedding by now, but not this time :( My hair is everywhere :(

Sableringlets
May 27th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Oh, it's interesting a couple of you mentioned iron deficiency-- I am always on the verge of being anemic. My doctor said to take iron but they gross me out terribly. I try to get my iron from food but that's a challenge, too.

I have been stressed for a while but it's been getting better. My hair seems to fall out in cycles-- the last 2 weeks was really bad. I noticed the last few days has been better.

Since my doctor has already suggested the iron supplements, and I recently was tested for iron levels (I was low) maybe I should start on iron and give it a few months...

Vivalagina
May 27th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Try taking your iron supplement before bed. That helps since you can sleep through any nausea.

EdG
May 27th, 2015, 09:26 PM
How many do you shed? 100 shed hairs per day is typical.
Ed

lapushka
May 28th, 2015, 07:33 AM
What Ed said! And iron shortage is notorious for shedding problems, so keep your iron up, and take the darn supplements already - it's necessary! :) Maybe go back to your doctor, tell him they make you nauseous and he'll give you something for it!

Sableringlets
May 30th, 2015, 12:41 AM
How many do you shed? 100 shed hairs per day is typical.
Ed

Sometimes in the shower, it's clumps. Kind of scary, too. There was a time I shed so much hair it clogged our tub and my husband had to use some tool to unclog it.

M.McDonough
May 30th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that..but what's troubling you.. why are you so stressed out?

Sableringlets
May 31st, 2015, 05:30 PM
I'm not currently under a lot of stress, but a few months back I was going through a tough time at work. It's usually work-related and my hair gets affected, but I think I am in the clear from that. Unfortunately, my hair has this delayed reaction, and I start to see the results months after. The first time I experienced telogen effluvium I thought I was going bald lol. I also have PCOS, so of course it makes it worse.

Pamala513
June 1st, 2015, 04:57 PM
Try Ferritin instead of harsh iron supplements

Anje
June 1st, 2015, 05:17 PM
I'm not currently under a lot of stress, but a few months back I was going through a tough time at work. It's usually work-related and my hair gets affected, but I think I am in the clear from that. Unfortunately, my hair has this delayed reaction, and I start to see the results months after. The first time I experienced telogen effluvium I thought I was going bald lol. I also have PCOS, so of course it makes it worse.

The anecdotal wisdom around here is that stress sheds happen about 3 months after the stressor. I've noticed that this holds up for me, in the sense that when I've realized I'm having a big shed, I can usually look back at the calendar and realize that there was something big going on about 3 months back.