PDA

View Full Version : Bored of my hair but afraid to use heat

danniro
May 27th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I am growing my hair out at the moment, I'd guess it's about BSL. I'm pretty happy with the curliness and shinyness on good days, but I'm pretty bored with the style and how my part looks with it. But it's difficult because I have kinky curls on each side of my face which stick up when my hair is parted on one side more than the other. As I said I'm growing it out, not sure how long I'll let it get but last summer it was about halfway down my back, I liked that length.
I don't use silicones, I am using a dandruff shampoo which may have some mild sulfates.

I was thinking of starting some heat styling, but 1) my straightener is old and cruddy, my hair will not stay straight with it 2) I'm worried it would make my hair less curly 3) or make my hair damaged

Any suggestions? This pic was a bit of a bad day because it was quite frizzy from humidity.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8765/18150659825_ef192bb976_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tDUSNM)

Aderyn
May 27th, 2015, 02:04 AM
If you really want to start heat styling, I don't see any horrible consequences from doing so, provided you take the necessary precautions like a heat protectant and such. I would suggest taking it slow (i.e. don't just abruptly start heat styling 7 days a week) to see how your hair reacts.

A few other ideas to help with hair boredom is to experiment with different products, deep conditioning (including homemade recipes, like SMT or pre-poo treatments), hair toys, hair styles (including heat free ones), etc.

Adelain
May 27th, 2015, 02:33 AM
You can try to use heat styling only on your face framing hair.. it can really change your look without damaging all your hair!

Agnes Hannah
May 27th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Curls, beautiful curls, you lucky thing! Accentuate those more! Have you looked at how the curlies on the forum look after their curls? There may be some information there that will help to accentuate those. It would be a shame to flatten them. Also messy buns would look dreamy on you, with tendrils framing your face. Or halfups, also with some romantic tendrils. You're very pretty by the way.

Agnes Hannah
May 27th, 2015, 04:51 AM
The Wavy and Wurly thread is the one I was thinking of, check it out, there may be something in there that can help you.

kitcatsmeow
May 27th, 2015, 12:22 PM
You're gorgeous and so is your hair! Don't use heat....trust me. I thought I could get away with it using protectant and just straightening the front but I ended up with tons of damage and having to cut. If you want it straight, look into the wrapping method. I've been doing it for years and it's easy and can be virtually damage free if done correctly! And it gets my super wavy hair very straight.

cat11
May 27th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I would definately experiment with non-heat methods, like wrap straightening and different types of waves and curls.

lapushka
May 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Do you really want the straight hair? It might be okay to do once in a while, but for constant care? Nix the heat for the health of your hair or you'll slowly wreck it. I'd look into the "curly girl method" or a site called tightlycurly.com for inspiration. If you really do want to use heat, then diffuse on "warm".

danniro
May 27th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Maybe just straightening my front bits would help...Because see I have to pin them back when wet so they dry a little straighter, otherwise they stick up and look weird.

I've been on naturallycurly.com, that's how I got started on the routine I have. In high school my hair was actually wavy, so I don't think I could accentuate my curls that much more, I already use loads of gel and plop to get them like this. I guess I could use rollers (is that what they're called?) but I'd prefer not. I've thought of trying sleeping with my hair in a braid, but i think that looks better when your hair is longer.

Thanks, you guys are too kind :o I wouldn't straighten every day, I'm just tired of having the same hairstyle literally every single day (unless I don't have time to shower and my hair is too gross/weird and I put it in a ponytail).

I've kinda tried wrapping before, at one point I would sleep like that but it never really ended up that straight after, just with an awkward wave sorta.

M.McDonough
May 28th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I guess you could use a heat protectant spray to eliminate heat damage

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2015, 04:26 PM

I don't think heat protectant sprays eliminate or protect from heat damage. It would be wonderful if they did.

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2015, 04:35 PM

Heat protectants can't eliminate heat damage.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 28th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Heat protectants definitely won't prevent all damage (if any). It's one thing to use heat occasionally, but if you're thinking of straightening regularly or semi-regularly, you most likely will end up with damage that in the long-term just isn't worth it. Even if you only straighten the front or canopy of your hair, you will get damage there, and that's the most visible part of your hair, so the damage will show even if the rest of your hair isn't damaged...been there, done that. It sounds like it's not so much a matter of wanting straight hair as just being bored with your style yes? In that case there are other ways to switch things up. Do you like braids? Accent braids up front are pretty, like lace braids or lace rope braids. The Edwardian twists that were the hairstyle of the month last month are pretty. Try some different kinds of buns, or get some new hair accessories. Flowers, bows, sticks, headbands...

danniro
May 28th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Heat protectants definitely won't prevent all damage (if any). It's one thing to use heat occasionally, but if you're thinking of straightening regularly or semi-regularly, you most likely will end up with damage that in the long-term just isn't worth it. Even if you only straighten the front or canopy of your hair, you will get damage there, and that's the most visible part of your hair, so the damage will show even if the rest of your hair isn't damaged...been there, done that. It sounds like it's not so much a matter of wanting straight hair as just being bored with your style yes? In that case there are other ways to switch things up. Do you like braids? Accent braids up front are pretty, like lace braids or lace rope braids. The Edwardian twists that were the hairstyle of the month last month are pretty. Try some different kinds of buns, or get some new hair accessories. Flowers, bows, sticks, headbands...

I wouldn't mind having straight hair once in a while but then again I feel it's more trouble than it's worth (seeing as how I'd have to shell out for a nice straightener, then dry and straighten my hair before leaving). So yeah it's mostly that I'm bored with it. I occasionally do an over the shoulder braid, but I've not really gone further than that.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 29th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I would suggest getting on Youtube and see if you can find some new ways to style your hair that don't involve heat. There's Loepsie- she has other beauty stuff besides just hair, but check out her playlists for hair tutorials. Lilith moon does hair and she has a lot that will work on shorter hair too. If you want to learn some different kinds of braids, check out ladollyvita33 or ladollyvita333 (same person, she has 2 channels). She made a braid dictionary video that shows examples of all the different kinds of braids here: https://youtu.be/H2ifoTyHoA4
Good luck. :flower:

M.McDonough
May 29th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I don't think heat protectant sprays eliminate or protect from heat damage. It would be wonderful if they did.

Heat protectants can't eliminate heat damage.

They don't? What makes you so sure?

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 29th, 2015, 09:17 PM
They don't? What makes you so sure?
My hair ended up with damage from flat ironing even when I used heat protectants. Would the damage have been worse if I hadn't used them? I don't know. Maybe they do offer some protection, but I am confident that they don't eliminate or protect 100% from heat damage.
ETA: Here's an article that talks about how effective heat protectants are. http://www.brightestbulbinthebox.com/2013/10/the-science-of-hairstyling-heat.html?m=1
In reference to one ingredient that was tested: "It showed a 15-23% protective effect after ten minutes of heat exposure, possibly due to its antioxidant effect. Basically: Hooray! This sh*t is doing it's job."
23% protection is better than nothing.... but it's not good enough IMHO. Of course that's just one "protective" ingredient tested, there are others and you can read the article and others if you're so inclined, but the point is, no they don't eliminate damage. If you're simply bored with your hair there are much safer ways to change up your style than with heat.
Now, if you're dead set on having straight hair, I know of at least one LHC'er who straightens and has a gorgeous head of hair. MINAKO could probably give you some good tips on how to minimize the damage from heat if you really want to do that.

M.McDonough
May 30th, 2015, 05:11 PM
My hair ended up with damage from flat ironing even when I used heat protectants. Would the damage have been worse if I hadn't used them? I don't know. Maybe they do offer some protection, but I am confident that they don't eliminate or protect 100% from heat damage.
ETA: Here's an article that talks about how effective heat protectants are. http://www.brightestbulbinthebox.com/2013/10/the-science-of-hairstyling-heat.html?m=1
In reference to one ingredient that was tested: "It showed a 15-23% protective effect after ten minutes of heat exposure, possibly due to its antioxidant effect. Basically: Hooray! This sh*t is doing it's job."
23% protection is better than nothing.... but it's not good enough IMHO. Of course that's just one "protective" ingredient tested, there are others and you can read the article and others if you're so inclined, but the point is, no they don't eliminate damage. If you're simply bored with your hair there are much safer ways to change up your style than with heat.
Now, if you're dead set on having straight hair, I know of at least one LHC'er who straightens and has a gorgeous head of hair. MINAKO could probably give you some good tips on how to minimize the damage from heat if you really want to do that.

Good enough. Thank you, Lauren.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 30th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Good enough. Thank you, Lauren.
No prob. :flower: I'd hate for anyone to have a false sense of security thinking heat protectants will prevent all damage and find out too late it's not true. Growing out sad fried hair is no fun. :silly: