PDA

View Full Version : seborrheic dermatitis

LadyMantis
May 26th, 2015, 10:34 PM
OMG!!! This is so frustrating! I haven't had flare ups of seborrheic dermatitis since I was in high school! And of course NOW I want to grow my hair out really long, IT COMES BACK!! :mad:

Luckily it isn't as bad as when I was in high school. Maybe puberty affected the oil on my scalp. ANYWAY, I occasionally have to use Head and Shoulders (shampoo and conditioner combined) if my scalp is itchy because it means if I use my normal moisturizing shampoo, I will have a very itchy scalp and lots of dandruff. I used it today, but luckily I have a very moisturizing conditioner and I put leave in conditioner spray on the ends when I got out of the shower.

I JUST put a hair mask on though that I'm going to sleep in tonight. I know that dandruff shampoo can SERIOUSLY dry out your hair and that is why I have had trouble growing out my hair in the first place; my ends split too easily. Hair masks seem to be doing the trick though, so hopefully this will work.

Anyway, has anyone else struggled with wanting to grow your hair out long and the woes of seborrheic dermatitis? What routine do you guys do?

Federica
May 27th, 2015, 05:02 AM
I've always had it since middle school and succesfully grew out my hair to fingertip length, chopped it to bsl and now growing it back to FTL (now is between hip and BCL).
I wash once a week using a specific shampoo for SD, then double condition. I also light oil my ends when I find them dry.
I can say that the scpecific shampoo I bought (BIODERMA is the brand) made a good job, but I have to be consistent in using it.

Here's a good thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045&highlight=seborrheic+dermatitis) about SD, enjoy :)

lapushka
May 27th, 2015, 06:32 AM
I only have success using Nizoral 2% - anything else just fails. I could never do H&S.

Wosie
May 27th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I have both seborrheic dermatitis and atopic dermatitis and nothing works for me (...anymore. Head & Shoulders dry scalp care worked swell for a while, then they changed their formula). D; I've tried tons of different stuff. Nizoral doesn't work either, it dries my scalp out too much. I'm currently searching for an effective itch-relieving shampoo; if I find a goodie I will share the information with you guys here.

MicheleZ
May 27th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I've been using castor oil on my face (around the creases on the nose, etc.) and it knocks it out within TWO days - no joke. It works like that on my scalp too but you need to thin it down with another oil.