PDA

View Full Version : Microscopic images of hair cleaned with different methods

Lianna
May 26th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Thought it was interesting!

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2015/05/hair-science-how-well-do-mild-cleansers.html

gthlvrmx
May 26th, 2015, 01:11 PM
That was amazing! Thank you for sharing! :)

Lady Mary
May 26th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Oh, I loved that. Very neat!

elsieivy
May 26th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Very interesting! I'd never heard of using oat water to clean hair before; I'll have to look into it.

Hotrox
May 26th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I really enjoyed reading that

Fericera
May 26th, 2015, 02:38 PM
How interesting! I might try one of those clay methods, or the oat water.

Mimha
May 26th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Wow thank you for sharing, Lianna !

I really have to dig that oat stuff !!... Sounds so soft and natural : all what I'm aiming at !

Magalo
May 26th, 2015, 03:37 PM
That's so cool! It's also fun to see how her individual strands are flat since her hair is curly. Mine are probably the roundest it can be.

Laurenji
May 26th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'm really intrigued by the oat water now.

Robot Ninja
May 26th, 2015, 03:46 PM
That is super-cool!

Hmmm, washing hair with oat water...eeeeeenteresting.

spidermom
May 26th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I'm really surprised that the baking soda picture doesn't show the cuticles all sticking out like bottle wash brushes because that stuff made my hair matt together like felt. It took a lot of conditioning treatments to bring it back to normal.

MagicalCurls
May 26th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I love the natural haven since she has he same hair type as me and she's scientific in her posts. After reading that post a few weeks ago, I began to shampoo more regularly, one or twice a week instead of every two weeks. I also use a clarifying and chelating shampoo now which is harsh but well worth it. My hair has never been softer and shinier, think it was all that build up from soft cleansers that built up over time. Those images of those strands cleaned by co-washing only did put me off the whole shampoo once every two weeks/month regime I had in mind.

MINAKO
May 26th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Interesting. But lol, the apple cider vinegar. :confused:
I think i have come to accept that co washing just gets my hair clean enough but doesnt remove all the oil and dirt, thats just how it is.

Lauraes
May 26th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I thought it was interesting that the article showed conditioner not being as effective as shampoo at removing dirt and oil, yet many people have said that conditioner removes oil better than shampoo.

rhosyn_du
May 26th, 2015, 06:41 PM
I thought it was interesting that the article showed conditioner not being as effective as shampoo at removing dirt and oil, yet many people have said that conditioner removes oil better than shampoo.

I think this might be due to the types of shampoo and conditioner she used. She used a baby shampoo, which tend to be pretty harsh and full of sulfates, and a fairly heavy conditioner. A lot of people here who talk about shampoo vs. CO for washing out oil are comparing sulfate-free shampoos to lightweight conditioners.

Peabody
May 26th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the interesting link, Lianna!
The baking soda and apple cider vinegar results were surprising. Now I want to try oat water!

maborosi
May 26th, 2015, 10:41 PM
I generally cowash, and I was surprised at how well it does get the hair clean.

Oat water, though! Wow!

Majorane
May 27th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Oat water? Will try that! Glutenfree hairwash :D Only, not today, cuz I'll be meeting a fellow longhair. Experimenting today seems like a bad idea.

I really liked the article, and it does confirm what I have so far experienced with my own washing endeavours. Thank you for sharing!

woolyleprechaun
May 27th, 2015, 01:26 AM
I sense an oat water thread on the horizon....

Aderyn
May 27th, 2015, 01:51 AM
The oat water sounds very interesting, I've never even heard of it! I'd love to see a thread on it and people's experience with it.

Agnes Hannah
May 27th, 2015, 04:39 AM
Thanks for sharing Lianna! really interesting read. Is anyone going to start an oats cleanser thread?

tigress86
May 27th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Very interesting results, co-washing did rather good (thinking of adding it back to my routine).

parkmikii
May 27th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Wow, these are amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Taenarian
May 27th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Yay for new vocabulary. Oat water.

lapushka
May 27th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Ah yes, the dreaded Baking Soda.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Neecola
May 28th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Really interesting!

Also confirms my own experience with apple cider vinegar that using too much in my final rinse seems to make my hair oilier.

mica
May 28th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks, that was really interesting!

I sense an oat water thread on the horizon....

*eagerly waits for it*

Rosetta
May 29th, 2015, 01:39 AM
^ There is one already: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131870 :D

That article was really interesting, thank you! Good to know that clay actually does cleanse, and it confirmed my ideas of baking soda (for hair) - harsh but a bad cleanser...

Just wish the test had included soapnuts/soapnut liquid, too, but I guess one can't have everything ;)

missfaroe
May 29th, 2015, 05:51 AM
wow, this was interesting! i will have to give the oat water a try :o

jel
May 29th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Fascinating! I felt that baking soda did not clean my hair (and I saw the dirty water when I shampooed the next day). Good to see that some others experienced the same!

Pamala513
May 29th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. .

unicornlady
May 29th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Great research Lianna. Good to know this, thanks... it also explains why my hair was so greasy after baking soda. Now I'm interested into oat water :)

-Fern
May 29th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Bwahaha! This is a cool link and really makes me miss having access to stereo microscopes. :P

Avis
May 29th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Wow! That was amazing! Thank you for sharing.