PDA

View Full Version : In what order to apply?

snowyx
May 26th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I am wondering about the order I should apply hair products. I just bought a coney serum with UV protection to help with tangles and the sun. I also like to apply a bit of jojoba oil on damp hair, but I am torn on the order to put the products in.

I heard that silicones create a barrier so oils can't penetrate. If that is true, then I should put jojoba oil, then the serum on my hair?

What happens if I use cones in my conditioner, too? I wash my hair with a coney condish once a week, and the other 2 times with a non-coney one.

Thank you in advance for the help.

swearnsue
May 26th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Hmmm...Jojoba oil is more of a waxy-non-penetrating substance anyway so it isn't going to penetrate whether the serum is applied first or not. If you were using coconut oil instead, I would say apply that first and wait a few minutes then apply the serum. I know that silicones are supposed to create this barrier against oils, but it isn't a perfect barrier in my experience and some oil gets through.

Nadine <3
May 26th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Honestly, I think I would pick one and go with that, not both at the same time. I use oils and coney serums interchangeably but never have I applied both right after a wash. I have used a tiny dab of conditioner and then my serum or oil of choice to seal it in though and that's really nice.

Larki
May 26th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I think if you use both, it will make your hair greasy. I'd just use the serum since it protects from UV (btw, grapeseed and argan oil both protect from UVA/UVB rays)

snowyx
May 26th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I think if you use both, it will make your hair greasy. I'd just use the serum since it protects from UV (btw, grapeseed and argan oil both protect from UVA/UVB rays)

thanks! The thing is that I would like to use an oil. I stopped doing heavy oilings, so I thought I could concentrate on leave-in type oils. I think I would feel guilty to stop using oils completely, since that is what helped me make my hair healthy.

I am kind of upset because I thought that I bought a spray, not a serum. I was in a hurry and they all looked the same. Anyways, I think I will try the jojoba+serum and see how that makes my hair feel. Then I can go from there. Thank you again!

endlessly
May 26th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Since the serum helps with UV protection, I would recommend putting your oil on first and then the serum, so you get all the benefits of the UV protection. Does it say anything on the serum package about which order it should be applied? Sometimes, they'll say on damp hair, meaning that it should go first, but sometimes it's used as a finishing product.

snowyx
May 26th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Since the serum helps with UV protection, I would recommend putting your oil on first and then the serum, so you get all the benefits of the UV protection. Does it say anything on the serum package about which order it should be applied? Sometimes, they'll say on damp hair, meaning that it should go first, but sometimes it's used as a finishing product.

On the bottle, it says it can be used 3 ways: before a wash, for a more deep treatment, after a wash on damp hair, and it can also be used daily for shine and conditioning effects (aside from the uv protection)

sarahthegemini
May 26th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I just wouldn't bother with the oil tbh. The effects /benefits of jojoba oil are mainly (if not only) aesthetic - so you're going to perhaps get increase in shine and smoothness but nothing else. And I would think the serum would produce the same results + the UV protection.