PDA

View Full Version : To have no part

Estrid
May 24th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Hello everyone! The title of this post kinda says what this will be about :)

I have been unsure where I want to part my hair ever since I grew out my bangs for the first time (age 13?). I have tried slight side part, deep side part, off center part and now the last months I've had a center part.
My mother have been pointing out that maybe I should just brush all my hair back and have no part, I used to laugh at that, but now I am getting really tired of not really liking any part on me, so why not try it? I don't use to have any problems parting my hair in a new way while it is wet, so maybe I could make it go away by putting all my hair back next time I wash it. I have a feeling that it would be easier if I started off with a side part than a center part, but I'll try.

Now to my questions: how is it to not have a part? (maybe the weirdest question out of the bunch, but does it feel different?) does it suit all face shapes? how come I never see people that do not part their hair? Is it harder than I think it will be?

Wusel
May 24th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I think no part looks good when you have a heart shaped or oval face. When you have a square face it won't suit you, I think.

Larki
May 24th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I don't even think it's possible to not have a part when your hair is down, your hair is going to naturally fall one way or another and create a part. You can not have a part when you put it up, though!

-Fern
May 24th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I don't have a "natural" part, per se, but I tend to always part it in the same spot. The ONLY time I ever noticed was when I buzzed my hair off in college--and to my dismay, my part was very visible! :laugh: It only took it about a week to be unnoticeable, but it still makes me laugh to think about.

When I wear my hear up, it is almost always without a part, and very easy to achieve. If you wear your hair down, the best way to keep it from forming a part is to wear a wide headband or scarf (otherwise, gravity tends to pull my hair down the path of least resistance--to the sides).

And whether it will look good on your or not just varies with your face shape... my face is long, so a center part is unflattering for me and a side part is more flattering. Wearing my hair with no part is pretty neutral for me.

Estrid
May 24th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Haha, Larki, that is why I used to laugh at what my mother said, sounds pretty impossible, but it would be nice if it worked. I suppose it is easier to have no part if you make buns or half ups, but would be cool if I could get it to work when having it down.

Maybe it is to hope for too much, wanting to have no part, but I think I will try anyway (no harm in that). I wish I knew what I liked on myself, but I just end up changing it up. Center part has been good since it divides the hair equally on both sides as well as makes my hair stay out of my eyes, but it does not look too great on me (imo). I got an oblong face shape, so yeah... the center part is probably not the best for me. Not sure if no part would suit me better (if it is possible to attain).

Thank you all for the replies :)

Tomorrow will be an interesting day...

spidermom
May 24th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I don't like the look of a straight slash of exposed scalp no matter where the part is. When I need a part, like for twin braids, I will often do a zigzag part or just stick a finger through the hair at the center-back of my neck, then gather up each side. What I get is sort of a crooked part, I guess. That's also what happens if I comb my hair straight back and let it dry. It eventually falls this way and that, forming a crooked part.

Most of the time it's pulled back into a bun, so no part issues there.

Nique1202
May 24th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I don't part my hair at all after a wash, I make sure it all air dries straight back, and it rarely parts itself. I like it. It gives the illusion of more root volume and it means no more line of sunburn if I spend too long outside. If your hair does part itself, at least you'll have found the natural parting line of it and it won't look so harsh as a comb-separated parting. For certain contexts, a clean parting is more desirable (a "neat"/extremely formal workplace, for example) but on the whole, just let it stay back after a wash and see what happens. You're not alone!

pili
May 24th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I don't have a natural part. If I let my hair air dry I just usually push it straight back. Sometimes I will part it, but it takes forever to dry, so I usually move the hair from side to side or separate it in the middle until dry. Even with that, any part does not stay. My face is a narrow heart shape, so parts frustrate me and I end up never leaving the hair that way all day.

I think a lot of it has to do with the growth pattern at the root and the texture. Straighter hair will part more in line with the growth pattern. My daughter and son are both 1s and she has a natural deep part and he doesn't. All his hair grows straight forward from the crown, even when it's longish.

endlessly
May 24th, 2015, 01:36 PM
It might be a bit tough to avoid having a part since hair will naturally fall, but if you wash it and let it dry straight back - maybe tying it back as it's drying - you might be able to achieve that look. I've been able to successfully style an updo without a part - for a grand total of 15 minutes. Since my hair is so heavy, it naturally parts one way or another and I'd have to use loads of product to get it to stay without one.

As to your other question, I guess it's tough to say how it will affect face shape. Because mine is a mix of square/round, I need a part to help soften my features - I tend to look very stiff when I don't have a part, as I've been told multiple times! I guess it's just a matter of trying it out and seeing what you think. If it helps, you can always take a picture and post it here or even show family/friends and ask for their honest opinions. Bottom line, if it makes you happy, do it.

Estrid
May 24th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the answers! :) Maybe a "natural part" (however that looks on me, if I have one) would look better on me than these straight ones, so I guess if it does not work to have no part, that could be an option. All parts I've ever had have been straight ones. One thing that might make things a bit harder is that my forehead is vertical and flat, my hair will not really shape around it, only fall down in my face. So even if I succeed on getting rid off the part I don't know if the half grownout bangs will want to agree on that of just fall down in my face x)

I guess I could share photos of me with different parts, not sure if I've kept photos from all times, changing to different parts now would just make them look ultra fabulous (because of the extreme volume my hair gets when I part it differently when dry). I think the things that I see in my face are not as visible to others, but I have chubby cheeks, and that combined with a narrow face is a bit strange, at least on me. Having a very pulled back look (all hair out of my face) makes it show a lot. Like... I look a bit swollen almost? Maybe it is all in my head, I am not very used to having all hair out of my face.

In 12h I will know a bit more I suppose, when my hair is dry after showering. Would still have to see how it behaves throughout the day, but yeah.

~excitiiiing~ (for me!)

Wildcat Diva
May 24th, 2015, 03:10 PM
My poor teen son is growing his hair out and it's wavy and a bit wild. He tries to comb it and center parts it flattened down, and his father about had a fit because of how it was looking (not good!). I think we about got him broken of that habit and he is finger combing and has a nice uneven natural side part. Much better.

Good luck with your no parting adventures! :)

cat11
May 24th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I don't even think it's possible to not have a part when your hair is down, your hair is going to naturally fall one way or another and create a part. You can not have a part when you put it up, though!

This. Your hair will fall into some type of part. If you cant [ick one to make though, why not use your natural part? It's easiest.

I personally have a natural center part, exept for my cowlick in the front

Remi
May 24th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I think your hair will look fine without the part, although, it eventually will part itself. But maybe thats ok with you.

mamaherrera
May 24th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I hate having my "bang part" which is always the same, but I love and need bangs to cover my "bare temples" and white hairs, so I have to stick with the bang part, which always looks wider than my vertical part because of hair directions. but even when I do a bun or whatever and try and pull it all back, if I look on top of my head, that "middle" part still forms on its own. My hair is SO SO stubborn, it insists on opening in that middle part, no matter how hard I try to join it all and take it straight back, I can only get it to do that for an inch or so and then it starts parting on its own. My daughter, with her finer/straighter hair, goes anywhere you put it, but me with thicker and curlier hair and with cowlicks, wow. .. it's a fight, and my hair usually wins!

Estrid
May 24th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the answers :) I am currently waiting for my hair to dry while constantly (but gently) making it lie back. Not sure how this will work, not sure where my natural part is. The old center part seemed to want to come back in the beginning, so maybe this will take a little time, but so far it is fine. Will see how it is when it is dry.

I hope my center part won't win this one :p I doubt my natural part is the same as my old center part so I just want it to go away.

elea
May 25th, 2015, 12:36 AM
I had no part for ages. All down my back it would just fan from the fringe; wet or dry.
Now wet is getting too heavy for that by itself, it settles somehow very like where it lands but I can make no part; I just need to place it, simple headband whist hair dries does the job. Dry is often up so, I keep no part easy; depending on hair-do.
I never encouraged a regular part (if any), I quite like that it is not "set"; it is not like it really matters to me.

Estrid
May 25th, 2015, 12:50 AM
I had no part for ages. All down my back it would just fan from the fringe; wet or dry.
Now wet is getting too heavy for that by itself, it settles somehow very like where it lands but I can make no part; I just need to place it, simple headband whist hair dries does the job. Dry is often up so, I keep no part easy; depending on hair-do.
I never encouraged a regular part (if any), I quite like that it is not "set"; it is not like it really matters to me.

Sounds really nice! :)

I will have to see if my hair can "obey" like that too or if I will have to force it to stay back.

I made a half up so that I can leave my hair alone for a while (no need to comb it back, I mean), the way I look atm reminds me of the elves in the lord of the rings :redgrin:

LeMimi13
May 25th, 2015, 01:40 AM
Wouldnt a head band while drying make hair lose too muvh volume? You coukd always tease, but it's a bad thing for your hair, although it keeps it going to the back.

Estrid
May 25th, 2015, 04:46 AM
So far my hair seems to part wherever it gets the chance, I guess that is the way it will be, not sure how I should handle it.

Nique1202
May 25th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Wouldnt a head band while drying make hair lose too muvh volume? You coukd always tease, but it's a bad thing for your hair, although it keeps it going to the back.

With no parting line, it's not obvious that you don't have as much volume. It doesn't look like a beehive or anything but it doesn't look as flat because you can't see the scalp. If your desire is to look taller from root volume, that's not gonna happen this way, but if your desire is to not have your hair look flat, having no obvious parting line helps a lot.