PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

Sophiaa
May 24th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Hi,
I really want salon style hair, but I can't seem to get it.

This is my hair routine;
Wash hair with shampoo & conditioner
Towel dry and air dry hair until it's less wet
Apply heat protect
Blow dry hair
Straighten hair

What am I missing out?

spidermom
May 24th, 2015, 08:04 AM
My hair would frizz up and dry out if I used both blow-drying and flat ironing on it. High heat is death to hair. Rubbing it with a towel is bad for it too - roughs up the cuticle. I think what you're missing is that you need to be a lot more gentle with your hair.

lapushka
May 24th, 2015, 08:06 AM
What do you mean by "salon" hair? Sleek, straightened hair, because if you cancel the heat styling (which is what you should do for "healthy" hair), that's not what your hair is going to look like if you have wavy or curly hair.

What's your hair type?

Wildcat Diva
May 24th, 2015, 08:44 AM
This is the wrong place to ask. Most of us don't maintain salon style hair.

What you might be missing is salon style extensions that can handle salon style interventions on a daily basis until they need to be replaced.

This response is not meant to be blunt and impolite, but it is reading that way. I don't mean any venom.
I hope you can figure out the problem to have the hairstyle you desire.

Sophiaa
May 24th, 2015, 09:20 AM
What do you mean by "salon" hair? Sleek, straightened hair, because if you cancel the heat styling (which is what you should do for "healthy" hair), that's not what your hair is going to look like if you have wavy or curly hair.

What's your hair type?
I have very curly hair.

neko_kawaii
May 24th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Have you tried any of the curly girl techniques?

mssummerrose
May 24th, 2015, 09:48 AM
I think that "salon hair" is very difficult to achieve for curlies, especially on a daily basis. And on this forum, people are likely to encourage you to embrace the hair you have, and point you in curly haired directions. Whatever you chose, I hope you find a routine that you are happy with. :o

DweamGoiL
May 24th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Sophiaa - I think you need to stop fighting your hair and trying to change it. Curly hair is beautiful and many of us wish we had lovely bouncy curls, but it's really on you to accept your natural texture or not. Your hair will be its loveliest and healthiest once you come to accept its natural properties and work to enhance those, such as the Curly Girl that was suggested before. Good luck to you in your journey.

Wildcat Diva
May 24th, 2015, 09:50 AM
If you are straightening your very curly hair, it may be that you want something that is very far from what you naturally have. Some people seem to love those keratin straightening treatments.
I would not personally touch those with a ten footpole, as I embrace my natural texture and want to avoid damage as much as I can.
But is your goal shorter hair? What do you think about damage and how your hair will handle it?

Clarkie
May 24th, 2015, 09:51 AM
If you have very curly hair, trying to get "salon" straight hair is going to cause damage, maybe not right away but in the long run for sure. How often are you washing/drying/straightening your hair? As Neko asked above, have you tried any of the curly girl methods? Or are you determined to straighten your hair? If you do intend to continue to use heat appliances on your hair, I'm not able to offer much help, as I don't know too much about them, I avoid them like the plague.

kaydana
May 24th, 2015, 01:15 PM
You don't need to add more steps, you need to use the appropriate tools and techniques for the steps you are already doing.

I'd start by looking on YouTube for blow drying tutorials, as this is the step most people struggle to do well. Like any new skill, don't expect to be able to do it perfectly straight away, learning to blow dry your own hair well takes a lot of practice.

lilin
May 24th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Well, your first post here says you are trying to grow out your hair to waist, yes?

Heat styling your hair every day is going to make that very difficult. Perhaps part of the reason you're having a hard time getting "salon style" results is because your hair can only take so much of that before it starts to dry out and break off. This is going to be even more true if your hair is curly, since curly hair tends to be drier and less tolerant of this sort of treatment.

If you were doing this routine a couple times a year, it might be easier to get "salon style" results. But doing this all the time, it's going to get harder and harder to achieve because the hair will become more damaged. Most people I know who heat style their hair as their daily style are unable to grow it much past APL before it starts to break off. I can think of one or two exceptions, but they're people with very thick hair that's almost straight anyway.

At the end of the day, "salon style" hair is a lot of smoke and mirrors, and it's not necessarily healthy hair.

If you're willing to pay enough money to someone with enough expertise, they can make your hair look both straight and less damaged... for a few hours. That's basically "salon style" hair. But it only lasts a very short time. Growing long hair with this kind of routine is very challenging for most people, and impossible for many.

But if you were to treat your hair more gently, you could have hair that looks healthy on its own all the time. It just won't be straight.

If straight hair is a must, there are a lot of things you can do to try to minimize damage, but it's going to be more of an uphill battle, and not all hair types can grow long with this kind of routine.

But if not, you should give the Curly Girl Method a try, as multiple people have suggested. I haven't been doing Curly Girl exactly, but I do follow some of the principles (don't use such harsh cleansers, avoid heat, avoid brushes, dry with a t-shirt, etc). I've had wavy/curly hair all my life, but I never saw how good it could look until I stopped constantly stripping it down and brushing it into a frizz ball. I thought I just had dull, frizzy, unmanageable hair that had a limp, uneven body wave, but not much else. Imagine my surprise when suddenly I had shiny, frizz-free mermaid ringlets after just a couple weeks of changing the way I treat my hair.

lapushka
May 24th, 2015, 02:10 PM
I say do this routine once, get nice pictures taken (maybe professional), then go curly girl method full-on. ;)

sarahthegemini
May 25th, 2015, 02:46 PM
If you're blow drying and straightening your hair on a regular basis, then you are damaging your hair massively. You're not going to have fabulous hair when.it's damaged to that extent. Sorry but it's the truth.

yahirwaO.o
May 25th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I think well care natural hair no matter texture beats salon uber processed hair all the time. Salon hair is just an illusion, healthy natural hair not so much!!!!!

Arctic
May 25th, 2015, 04:54 PM
What is salon hair style?

The style I've ever gotten from salons is them creating a granny helmet from my hair, even when I was still a teen ager. :p My favourite thing to do after I come home from salon is to wash and restyle my hair, lol. It's probably not a wonder I have taken my hair cutting, trimming and styling to my own hands.

teddygirl
May 25th, 2015, 05:43 PM
The best salon style hair I can get is blow drying with a round brush. It is damaging though. If you want the salon look, I'd try practicing this.

lapushka
May 26th, 2015, 07:30 AM
When I got my hair permed, I quickly understood they knew ZERO about how to treat and dry curly hair. I left the salon looking like a brushed out poodle. No joke! I needed to get that hair washed again and when I did CG on it, it turned out nice and defined. Maybe it's just that you don't know what it's like to get nice and defined curls? I'd do some Googling into the Curly Girl method. Find the Wiki page and try and read it, follow it, practice it on your hair. See what it's like, at least.