PDA

View Full Version : Jamila Dye Release

gthlvrmx
May 23rd, 2015, 09:55 PM
If I mix the Jamila powder with warm water (or just water at normal temperature), how long do I have to wait for dye release? I read the article that Nightshade made and it said wait 12 hours for Jamila but I tried that last time I hennaed my hair and I didn't get an orange spot on my hand that was as noticeable as I thought it would be. Is it supposed to be really faint? The paper I got from hennasooq when I ordered the Jamila henna said to let the paste sit for 2-4 hours, not 12. I do remember that the orange stain was not very strong before the 12 hours. How long should I wait then?

pamrlyn
May 23rd, 2015, 10:18 PM
Hi!

Look how long your hair is getting!

I don't know anything but google - & found these threads
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116163&page=2

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/135839-jamila-henna-dye-isnt-releasing-what-should-i-do.html

apparently it can be tricky. maybe something acidic like lemon will help?

best of luck to you :)

eta: found this how to mix, with pictures! ( I love pictures!)

http://blog.hennaart.ca/2014/10/how-to-mix-henna-jamila-henna-powder.html

flickm
May 23rd, 2015, 11:56 PM
If it's the 2014 summer crop, i used this recently and only had to wait around four hours. I read somewhere it's a quick dye release crop. But i did use quite warm water.

Nebulae
May 24th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I mix my Jamila with warm (not hot, I leave it to steep for a good while) chamomile tea and I always have dye release an hour later. Works like a charm, no need to keep it dye releasing in a warm spot either cause it's all warm and fuzzy on the inside, haha. :)

flickm
May 24th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I mix my Jamila with warm (not hot, I leave it to steep for a good while) chamomile tea and I always have dye release an hour later. Works like a charm, no need to keep it dye releasing in a warm spot either cause it's all warm and fuzzy on the inside, haha. :)

Does the chamomile tea make any difference to the end colour Nebulae?

Nebulae
May 29th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Does the chamomile tea make any difference to the end colour Nebulae?

I used to mix it with rooibos tea before, and after switching to chamomile I get the impression that the color is more golden/brighter. :)

Nightshade
May 29th, 2015, 02:04 AM
If you mixed it with warm water it may have demised :) 12 is for cool or room temp water. I use steaming chamomile tea (for conditioning, it doesn't affect the color) and have dye release in an hour, but wait for 4 for full release. :flowers:

gthlvrmx
June 1st, 2015, 07:45 PM
Oh maybe that is what happened. Well, funny thing is that it has been months since I last hennaed. I stored the leftovers in the freezer after my first henna and I thawed it out today. I applied it on my hair and beard, there was more than enough. Now my hands are so orange! This did not happen the last time I tried henna! Did the freezing make it work better? Somehow it FINALLY stained my skin and left it orange! I was laughing a lot when I saw my hands.

Betazed
June 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM
Oh maybe that is what happened. Well, funny thing is that it has been months since I last hennaed. I stored the leftovers in the freezer after my first henna and I thawed it out today. I applied it on my hair and beard, there was more than enough. Now my hands are so orange! This did not happen the last time I tried henna! Did the freezing make it work better? Somehow it FINALLY stained my skin and left it orange! I was laughing a lot when I saw my hands.

Did you take pictures? I want to see hennahands! :p
I'm curious, did you get the same result on your facial hair as your head-hair?

gthlvrmx
June 1st, 2015, 11:19 PM
Did you take pictures? I want to see hennahands! :p
I'm curious, did you get the same result on your facial hair as your head-hair?

Yes I got 1 photo outside! The orange looks brighter in real life, but you get the idea.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/gthlvr13r/IMG_20150601_185635_zpsxzfabbzf.jpg

Yes the results were around the same from facial hair to head hair. The only difference is that I have more blonde hairs on my face (beard and moustache) that turned orangey. I only left the henna on for around 3 hours so it was a lighter color result. Other than that, I am guessing the orange/red will come out more in the sunlight as a flare since my hair is so dark.

lil_irish_angel
June 3rd, 2015, 03:26 PM
I have been using Jamila Henna since 2008, and have always used hot steeped chalomine tea when i mix me henna, as I mix my henna i turn the oven on 170 degrees to let it heat up then turn it off, I use a glass pyrex bowel when i make my henna, After the tea coos slightly I then add it slowly to get the right mix. Then leave wooden spoon covered in plastic wrap, let sit for 6 hrs and have beautiful dye release even from 2009 crop using up loast fo my stock. And I usually don't use all i mix so i freeze it and it releases really really well then next time i Thaw it. By color is always the same

ps the reason why the oven its free from drafts

reilly0167
October 8th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Its been mentioned that the dye is more intense from frozen henna..due to the extreme freezing cold helps break up the cellulose in the henna plant cells and releases more dye