PDA

View Full Version : My Hair Is Shrinking and I Don't Know What to Do About It

Kelli Kat
May 23rd, 2015, 06:54 PM
I'm totally serious. Last August I did a lot of damage taking the black out and going to a lighter color. I cut 4 inches of damage out and haven't cut it since. As of today, my hair is at 7 inches shorter than it was then. I've been noticing it looking shorter over the last few months, today, its shortest its been in year. I'm not finding a lot of hair laying around, not more than I usually shed, but it is noticeably shorter than it was and its getting shorter all of the time. I don't know what to do.

Scarlet_Heart
May 23rd, 2015, 07:01 PM
Wow, Kelli Kat. I don't know how that could be. Is the length fairly uniform? It sounds like breakage. Have you tried some of the thicker oils or (dare I mention!) a coney serum or conditioner?

It's unbelievable what peroxide will do to your hair. Do you think that's the cause?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. :grouphug:

Kelli Kat
May 23rd, 2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks Scarlet Heart. I'm using Argon oil, macademia oil, some end repair stuff I got at Sally's, I started taking hair vitamins. None of seem to be working. I know its impossible for my hair to be setting shorter, but it is. So I don't what's going on. 9 months ago I damaged the heck out of it with bleach and then I cut 4 inches. The length is pretty uniform, and I'm not finding lot of hair in the shower or in my brush or laying around. I know what's going, but its making me sad. The only variable I didn't see coming is I started menopause a few months back. I don't if that can affect hair length.

pastina
May 23rd, 2015, 07:25 PM
i'm thinking that it sounds like peroxide damage. it can do that, unfortunately, and the damage sometimes takes a while to show itself. :( i'd do some serious s&d's and maybe try keratin conditioners?

Kelli Kat
May 23rd, 2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks Pastina I'll pick up some keratin conditioners.

Nique1202
May 24th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Oils and "repair" stuff and adding anything to the hair as it is will only go so far. Some products can patch up certain amounts of damage but if the damage runs too deep the hair can break off anyway. Also, vitamins might help your newer growth but they won't affect any of your old damage. It's possible your hair is only breaking off when it's under certain conditions, too. Hair is more prone to damage when it's wet, it's possible that a good deal of your breakage is happening in the shower.

Lifting black out of hair is incredibly difficult and damaging because the bleach/peroxide needs to stay on for so long, and if the black was a permanent dye then it's damage on top of damage. I'm almost certain that's what's causing it, especially if the hair that seems to be breaking off is still what was dyed black before you tried to lift it. If so it will stop eventually, when the hair is new enough and undamaged enough to not want to break off. Hopefully that's sooner than later and you'll start to grow out again before you know it. In the mean time, treat it gently, keep up the damage-reducing products, and remember that it takes a while but it all grows back eventually.

Anje
May 24th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Definitely look at your protein-moisture balance and keep on top of it to keep your breakage to a minimum. This is about the best description I've ever seen of hair that is out of balance, and is targeted toward chemically damaged hair. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html#.VWHGTprD9SA) Basically, protein makes hair strong but brittle, moisture makes it supple but stretchy. Many people, especially those with damage, need both. Some folks tend to need one a lot more than the other.

For protein, you'll want to look for conditioners with descriptions like "reconstructing". Stuff like the Aphogee 2-step reconstructer are the big guns for hair that needs lots of protein. Gelatin and low-salt soy sauce are about the only home treatments available, though some people get decent temporary effects from eggs.

For moisture, I'm a huge fan of humectants. (My hair typically does not want protein!) Enough so that the SMT is linked in my signature. Moisturizing conditioners are good, but you'll want to read ingredients to get a sense for what is moisturizing and what just make hair slick with silicones.

Oils play a role too, for suppleness and to help keep moisture in hair. They're not moisturizing themselves, but the emoliency from them is certainly beneficial for most hair.

ETA: You're generally wearing your hair up, right? I just noticed you're at BSL, which is prime length for hair being chewed up from leaning back on it when you're in a chair. (You wouldn't think this was a big deal, but I've sat in enough pit lectures and observed soooo many folks with loose long hair with breakage starting right at the point where the chairs in that room hit their backs. It's impressively consistent.)

lapushka
May 24th, 2015, 06:56 AM
If it's breaking, maybe you've got enough protein? I don't know, but it's a delicate balance. Are you using protein conditioners now? Then you might need more moisture after using whatever conditioner it is you're using. A slight look at your routine might help us out.

Wildcat Diva
May 24th, 2015, 07:34 AM
I'm so sorry you are losing length! My favorite treatment is the sciency blog hair gelatin treatment. I'll link it. (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html?m=1)

Basically a Knox gelatin packet in a little hot water, and then heated honey... Then as it cools, I add olive oil, coconut oil, yogurt, and conditioner. Leave in several minutes, then rinse. Then I condition again, rinse and done.H

ChloeDharma
May 24th, 2015, 07:44 AM
It does sound like breakage, particularly as you used bleach which just destroys hair. The only thing to do is wait for that damage to grow out. I'd suggest microtrims every few months to slowly remove the old damage, keep your hair oiled and in an updo, soak it in coconut oil as a pre 'poo treatment, work out your needs re protein and moisture and just wait it out. When I grew out chemically fried hair it seemed like a never ending process but these things really helped my hair. Oh and silicone conditioners were a godsend. The main thing was keeping my length soaked in oil though, it turned my pube like breaking frizzy hair into something that could look nice after a while but really I had to keep it up constantly. Lots of treatments too.

Scarlet_Heart
May 24th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I'm glad Anje weighed in! She's always great for a sciencey answer. I really hope it gets better for you, KK. :flower:

chen bao jun
May 26th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Your hair can break off, oddly enough without your noticing it, other than the 'shrinking'. There don't have to be visible short broken pieces all over.

Bleach does melt your hair. One of my friends daughters went in about 9 months from tailbone to apl, with very thinned out hair, from going blonde.

Besides using protein on the ends yet keeping it moisturized, and keeping it up, try washing in braids an d finger detangling. There are threads on both.

My friend daughter still has short h air, but her sister who was going the same way quit the bleach and heat, started wash ing less and conditioning, put her hair up and within a year had beautiful mid back t hick hair again.

Kelli Kat
May 30th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone. Here is the scoop. Today I went to the only hairdresser I trust to cut my hair. I told her she could take as much as necessary as long as I can still bun up. She cut about 3 more inches off, cut some side bangs and gave me a deep conditioning treatment and she hooked my up with some keratin conditioner and gave me a regiment to use it. And I have an appt with my doctor this week to talk about a hormone replacement plan. I'm just a smidge below my shoulders now, the hem is straight and it it looks a feels a lot better, although I'm going to be rocking my 5 inch sticks exclusively for a while. Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome and hopefully it won't be too long before I get my length back.