PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles using hair forks

starfire
May 22nd, 2015, 01:57 PM
My daily hairstyles consist of a nautilus (with no hairtoy) or a LWB with a stick. But after discovering the Jeterforks thread here, I decided I must have the pretty forks and bought a 2 prong and a 3 prong. So far I've only used them much like a hairstick to do a LWB (and I managed a figure 8 yesterday for a few hours but it was pulling on my scalp so I took it down). I'm pretty inept at other styles.

I'm quite excited about the forks and wanting to buy more pretties. But before I start amassing a collection, I'm wondering if there's a practical point to me buying more when my stick is more than enough, functionally.

So my question is, are there any styles that require a fork? Or styles that work better with forks? Any hairstyle recommendations using forks is much appreciated!

swords & roses
May 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM
Pha buns work well with a fork. :)

missblueeyes
May 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
I find that cinnabuns hold much better with forks than with hairsticks. In fact, I can't get mine to hold with a single stick.

Vanilla
May 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM
I find that forks hold a lot better in my fine, slippery hair. I love using a fork in a nautilus bun, the masara and occasionally a cinnabun or figure 8 bun. I find that the buns that use a lot of twisting just don't work well for me as far as scalp aches, and has nothing to do with the fork or sticks used.

I can usually get away with just shoving the fork in my hairstyle and I don't need to reverse it the way that sticks need.

starfire
May 22nd, 2015, 04:01 PM
Pha buns work well with a fork. :)

Thank you! This is perfect. I remember trying this bun years ago and it would just spit the stick out immediately. This time I got it to stay on the second try and it is holding securely so far. I used a 3 prong. Does it work with wider forks too?

I find that cinnabuns hold much better with forks than with hairsticks. In fact, I can't get mine to hold with a single stick.

I fail at cinnabuns. They either turn into bee butt buns or they fall apart quickly. Do you think more prongs help?

I find that forks hold a lot better in my fine, slippery hair. I love using a fork in a nautilus bun, the masara and occasionally a cinnabun or figure 8 bun. I find that the buns that use a lot of twisting just don't work well for me as far as scalp aches, and has nothing to do with the fork or sticks used.

I can usually get away with just shoving the fork in my hairstyle and I don't need to reverse it the way that sticks need.

The figure 8 makes my scalp ache. I can only wear it for short periods.
I had to look up the masara, but oooh it looks beautiful. Sadly, I am terrible at braiding my hair. I must practice this weekend!

swords & roses
May 22nd, 2015, 04:05 PM
Thank you! This is perfect. I remember trying this bun years ago and it would just spit the stick out immediately. This time I got it to stay on the second try and it is holding securely so far. I used a 3 prong. Does it work with wider forks too?

I fail at cinnabuns. They either turn into bee butt buns or they fall apart quickly. Do you think more prongs help?

The figure 8 makes my scalp ache. I can only wear it for short periods.
I had to look up the masara, but oooh it looks beautiful. Sadly, I am terrible at braiding my hair. I must practice this weekend!

I only have two-prong forks at the moment, so I can't say if a Pha bun would work with wider forks. But give it a try & let us know! :)

I have the same problem with cinnabuns. I think the only way they might stay put without turning into a bee butt bun is if I used a tusk-style fork. But it'll be a good long while before I'm able to acquire one of those lovelies.

arr
May 22nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
I have a 3 prong Jeterfork and it is my most used accessory. I use it for a cinnabun, nautilus, lazy wrap, pencil bun, any braided bun, basically any bun. What worked for me is I don't use it like a stick (in one opening opposite direction, then up through other hole) I more just push it right through the coils themselves, more through the whole bun on one side, then grab scalp hair and go through the whole bun on the other side. I hope that makes sense. Once you get the hang of it, I find it is way more secure and comfortable than a stick.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 22nd, 2015, 05:46 PM
I find pretty much everything holds much better for me with a fork, I don't know if it's because I have fine hair, or it's the tension on the bun, or what it is. I use forks 95% of the time, and sticks just for a change.

Aderyn
May 22nd, 2015, 06:01 PM
I also find I get a better hold with forks, though I don't have a problem with sticks.

The transition from sticks to forks can definitely have a bit of a learning curve, particularly in learning how completely different the tension/looseness of the bun is prior to inserting the hair toy.

The biggest "annoyance" with using forks is I tend to have a few more rogue clumps of hair that need to be pinned down with bobby pins.

cat11
May 23rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
I definately find hairsticks easier than forks and sometimes forks can be too tight which hurts- too easy to get too MUCH hold but I seem to be in the minority. Sometimes I also hear bad noises when I put in forks through a dense bun :/ Or its just plain hard to push it all the way through the hairstyle For that reason my sticks and two prong forks get work much more love than my forky forks.

lwb's are good.. and you dont put them through much hair so it helps.. I used to do cinnamon buns but it just doesnt work out anymore... forks used to work great on me until I got to about BSL and started using sticks more often and cinnamon buns ceased working (I think when I have a full second coil this will change... Im close. The bun just doesnt lay well.)

starfire
May 23rd, 2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts arr, Sarahlabryinth, and Aderyn!

I watched tutorials this morning and was able to do a disc bun and gibraltar bun with my fork. I don't think I had previously attempted them and they probably work with sticks too :P But I'm happy to have learned new buns to do.

cat11, I think I hear less "bad noises" with the forks because I'm being more careful with them (out of fear of snapping the tine). I should be more careful with the sticks, too (out of fear of snapping my hairs!).