PDA

View Full Version : If you feel the urge to cut, then think about...

Linguaphilia
May 22nd, 2015, 04:09 AM
Hi all!

I'm going through a little phase of daydreaming about how it would be if I cut 30 cm off my hair: about that amazing hemline, volume at the crown,...

Then I think about two things:
- Saruman, who has flat hair AND a big nose (=me) but rocks that anyway;
- being unable to do a crown braid when my hair is shorter. I'm too clumsy for a braided crown, so I can only manage a fake crown braid, and it doesn't go all the way around my head when shorter than classic.

So, what do you think about when you feel the urge to chop?

Buddug
May 22nd, 2015, 04:16 AM
I think about the horrors of letting it grow again. Right now, I'm trying to grow out my bangs. There are times when I feel the urge to cut my bangs again, but growing out bangs is such a horror that I wont cut them again :)

Calaelen
May 22nd, 2015, 04:50 AM
Waking up in a panic wish it is a nightmare, but it isn't. Whenever I get to even a fleeting thought of cutting, I start to get scared I might actually do it and regret it forever. I did big chops twice in my life, one I regretted so much I was a mess for quite some time over it.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2015, 05:13 AM
Oh, it's spring again, and I can feel it itching... (that itch to cut). I just try and not think about it. Think of my product stash and wash day. It helps (pampering day). Try and pamper your hair when you think such thoughts - who knows, it might help. ;)

Nique1202
May 22nd, 2015, 05:15 AM
Between my thickness and my slipperiness, my hair is at its most manageable above collarbone or below... well, I don't know yet, honestly. :laugh: I'm still not at a length where my full thickness would allow me to so much as cinnabun. I have deep layers now, the shortest are between collarbone and apl and the longest are a couple of inches from bcl, which helps with the manageability some, but I still have problems with french and english braids because of those short layers. Given how short I am, I'm gonna be down around classic or fingertip or maybe near knee before I could trim my layers out and still be able to cinnabun or lazy wrap bun it.

I don't want to ever go through this fuss again. That's what keeps me from cutting back.

restless
May 22nd, 2015, 05:23 AM
I think: "It didnt look good and it didnt behave the last time it was short, so why would it now?" My hair will not cooperate and do as I want it to do and the shorter it is, the harder it is to tame it. So, no matter how cute a pixie/bob/lob looks on someone else, Ive just learnt to accept thats not the case when it comes to my own hair.

cathair
May 22nd, 2015, 05:26 AM
Two words: triangle head.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2015, 05:31 AM

Yep, good one! :lol:

missblueeyes
May 22nd, 2015, 05:48 AM
The Saruman comparison just had me smirk. I instantly thought of Gandalf's quote "Tell me, my old friend, when did Saruman the Wise abandon reason for madness?" which kinda suits this thread, I think. I mean, why else would longhairs think about cutting their hair, haha. :P

Anyway, I usually think about windy days. I hate having hair in my eyes. I also look really chubby with shoulder-length hair so I'm not going back to that anytime soon.

Auni
May 22nd, 2015, 06:32 AM
Like Buddug, I think about how long it would take to grow back again. However, I haven't had the itch to cut again, I want at least TBL, and am being VERY patient! I got a nasty cut/style with layers 1 year ago, and had to fix it which put me back a total of 4 inches (I just wanted a V shaping for crying out loud!), and I would be at waist at least right now! I think about that!

MicheleZ
May 22nd, 2015, 06:36 AM
I'd cry rivers at all the beautiful hair toys I have that I would no longer be able to use lol

catasa
May 22nd, 2015, 06:48 AM

This one!

(but then I actually donīt really get any urges to cut, more than my regular trims... Possibly I will start to get the urges when/if my hair gets longer but now I am only at MBL, and still rejoicing in being past the triangle head phase, and in having hair that can actually be called "long" even if not unusually so! :) )

Pat Wright
May 22nd, 2015, 07:06 AM
I think about the way my mother always cut my hair short as a child. She said it was easier for her to deal with. I always envied the other girls who had long hair....

sourgrl
May 22nd, 2015, 07:25 AM
No more TTs :(

lapushka
May 22nd, 2015, 07:40 AM
I'm trying to go trim-less for as long as I can take it, so... if that means growing beyond classic... I'll have to see if it's comfortable enough still for me, past classic, but we'll see how long it lasts. ;) Wouldn't want to jeopardize that. :)

spidermom
May 22nd, 2015, 08:27 AM
I think "been there, done that."

Saldana
May 22nd, 2015, 08:42 AM
When I have the urge to cut, I make myself follow the 2 week rule. Plus, I think about how long it would take to grow it out again should I want to (and I will).

Betazed
May 22nd, 2015, 08:58 AM
When I have the urge to cut, I make myself follow the 2 week rule. Plus, I think about how long it would take to grow it out again should I want to (and I will).

I ditto this. I get the urge to go back to my last short style, which was a flippy bob-type choppy cut (sorry, I can't describe it any better). I loved it and kept it that way for a few years before I decided to grow it out. The longest layer was just brushing my shoulders. The last time I got it razored that way was over 8 years ago. That's how long it's taken to grow to my current length. When I get the urge to go back to that style, I think "I'm getting too old to waste another 8 years waiting for my hair to grow back". I also learn a new braid or bun whenever I get tired of my current cut. Also, I just discovered the joys of hairtoys and I would be super sad if I couldn't use them anymore (not to mention angry that all that money went to waste :p).

kitschy
May 22nd, 2015, 09:09 AM
I think about the last time I chopped and how many years it will take to regain the length - and the fact that even when I regain the length I am four years behind where I could have been. At my age, those four years can make a huge difference.

Puffer Fish
May 22nd, 2015, 09:12 AM
When I want to cut my hair I remember 2 things.

1: If I cut my hair then my mom wins. She hated having long hair and thinks everyone else should hate it too.

2: I'll be even further away from being able to braid my hair nicely if I make it short again. For as long as I can remember, all I've ever wanted to be able to do with my hair is to have a nice, long, English braid.

Eleven
May 22nd, 2015, 12:01 PM
The... The... The... awkward stage... *hides in corner* :couch:

endlessly
May 22nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
Having recently cut my hair to fix an epically bad haircut fail from several years ago, that's what I think about.

5 or so years ago, a newbie stylist made a huge mistake when cutting my hair. I had just wanted a simple trim with a bit of layering on the bottom and instead, she sectioned my hair and chopped nearly 12 inches off the top layer because she was too busy having a conversation with her friend. And, since my head was down and I had hair covering my eyes, I didn't know anything bad had happened until I heard her say, "Oops, I can fix this." Not the best thing to hear when someone is holding a scissors! So, that's what I think about. I think about the embarrassment and anguish over how terrible my hair looked and how ugly it made me feel, how many cruel and heartless comments I received from supposed "friends" and coworkers, and how it took 5 years to grow the shortest layer to a point where I felt comfortable cutting it to one length (tailbone). I think about how, at the time, I was already pretty severely depressed and that "mistake" by a stupid stylist nearly caused me to commit suicide because I couldn't take being made fun of. I think about all the times I had to go back to that same salon to have it "fixed" and for them to try to blend the choppy layer better, but having the then-manager tell me, "Wow, she really screwed up big time." I think of all the times I wanted so desperately to wear my hair down and feel pretty again, but I had to settle for a half-updo every single day to hide the mistake - this is the main reason I won't wear any half-updos to this day.

It helps that I also have photographic evidence of that time, too, so whenever I feel the need to change my look, I pull up those pictures and remind myself it just isn't worth it.

Linguaphilia
May 22nd, 2015, 12:25 PM
That sounds awful, Endlessly! Going for a trim always makes me extremely nervous because of such things. I think I will trim it myself next time, or ask a long-hair-friendly person to do it!

TwilightShadow
May 22nd, 2015, 12:53 PM
I actually never had the urge to cut since I started growing my hair out, only to trim a bit more to get thicker ends sometimes, but I've always kept to my schedule so far.

Anyway, I actually wanted to post on this thread to say your Saruman reference is awesome. :laugh:

Decemberrose
May 22nd, 2015, 01:16 PM
I think about the fact that I just might be a bride in a few years, and I don't want short hair that day! I want waist+ IF that is a possibility.

And of course the triangle head, who forgets that!!!? :)

Unofficial_Rose
May 22nd, 2015, 03:15 PM
All of the blowdrying I'd have to do to make it look decent. Ain't nobody got time for that. :eek:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 22nd, 2015, 03:23 PM
Whenever I get the urge to cut, I always remind myself that EVERY TIME I have done this in the past I have regretted doing it so bitterly. Then I think of how many years of frustration I will have while I grow it long again. Plus I am not as young as I used to be.

Anyway (I tell myself), short hair JUST SITS THERE and you can't do any interesting buns or anything. And I would just look like everyone else.

....And.... I'm an artist, and artists are supposed to look different...

pixietail
May 22nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
My sister, who started shorter than me, now has slightly longer hair now (because mine was damanged.) Can't... let... her... win....

rapunzelna
May 22nd, 2015, 10:50 PM
I rarely have those thoughts but when I do I open the old photo album and look at the pics. Spiked hair, pixie, bob, super short bangs, the shag, the mullet. That cures me

yahirwaO.o
May 22nd, 2015, 11:12 PM
The... The... The... awkward stage... *hides in corner* :couch:
Oh yes, never ever in my life going though that phase again!!!!!!!!!!! :run:

Anyway (I tell myself), short hair JUST SITS THERE and you can't do any interesting buns or anything. And I would just look like everyone else.

....And.... I'm an artist, and artists are supposed to look different...

Oh Sarah you are so right, we artist are supoose to be different, love your comment!!!

animetor7
May 23rd, 2015, 12:33 AM
This is off topic. But I love the updo in your profile pic. How do you do it?

Linguaphilia
May 23rd, 2015, 12:53 AM
animetor7, that is the Madora. I'm sure there is a tutorial somewhere, but I'll explain quickly: a French braid first, until the nape; there, you split it in two braids (tip: with a claw clip that you can take off afterwards) and wrap the braids around your head. Pin it, and voila.

Suguru
May 23rd, 2015, 07:53 PM
This is off topic. But I love the updo in your profile pic. How do you do it?

Here is Torrin Paige's video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvWpHufrANk

Eastbound&Down
May 23rd, 2015, 08:58 PM
I almost chopped it all off this weekend but my husband threw a fit haha so no cut as of now. But what stops me, is I hate growing from SL to APL it is the worst

Silver Sister
May 24th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I almost chopped it all off this weekend but my husband threw a fit haha so no cut as of now. But what stops me, is I hate growing from SL to APL it is the worst

That is a hard growing period (SL to APL). Your hair looks like it has good volume, texture and color. Very pretty!

Eastbound&Down
May 24th, 2015, 06:28 PM
That is a hard growing period (SL to APL). Your hair looks like it has good volume, texture and color. Very pretty!

Thank you! I was very frustrated with it, I had headaches all last week from wearing it up and since I can't wear it down at work I was ready to chop it all the way back to a pixie

Remi
May 24th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Sometimes you moan when you think about all the years it will take to grow out long again. And then you think about your lovely hair jewelry just waiting to be worn again.

3dgfan
May 24th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Even though I really love having a nice hair cut, I immidiately think how wide and big my face looks when I have a short hair :) So then I just don't want to cut my hair any more.

surruh
May 25th, 2015, 03:12 AM
Every time in my life I have ever done a big cut, I like it for a short while and then I start longing for long hair again. So I just remember that when I get the urge to cut... And remember how long it will take to grow out. It's been over 8 years now since the last time I chopped it all off :D

Silver Sister
May 25th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Thank you! I was very frustrated with it, I had headaches all last week from wearing it up and since I can't wear it down at work I was ready to chop it all the way back to a pixie

You may be getting headaches because you can't loosely put your hair up. When it's SL to APL it may take a bit more tension (yikes, did I say that!) to put it all up. Could you do half ups?

Eastbound&Down
May 25th, 2015, 06:11 PM
You may be getting headaches because you can't loosely put your hair up. When it's SL to APL it may take a bit more tension (yikes, did I say that!) to put it all up. Could you do half ups?

I'm closer to bsl now than apl but I'm not allowed to do anything 'faddish' for work so it really limits what I can do with to the basically a sock bun everyday :(

longhairmomof7
May 25th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Hi!!
I think about how long and beautiful my hair was last year at this time... then I got 8 inches cut off and a horrible highlighting job that left my hair a MESS!! 12 months and 4 good trims later I am struggling to get to BSL... I think I am there or close enough LOL GOAL is hip!!! Can't wait till I can post pics :-) :-)

nowxisxforever
May 26th, 2015, 01:27 AM
I usually consider how much more work short hair is, at least with my hair. I've kept it long for what feels like ages, and the novelty of having long, and then super long hair has really worn off, so my hair maintenance is generally highly apathetic.

My hair is much more tolerant long than it is short, plus my hairtype doesn't lend itself well to short hair. It gets frizzy, or it's greasy; there's no in between. Conveniently, when I can wear it up in a bun, I have no bad hair days, I only have to wash it once or twice a week, and fixing it in the morning takes about a minute, including brush time. It's perfect for me. :)

lapushka
May 26th, 2015, 07:18 AM
I'm closer to bsl now than apl but I'm not allowed to do anything 'faddish' for work so it really limits what I can do with to the basically a sock bun everyday :(

A peacock twist should be good as well!

Agnes Hannah
May 26th, 2015, 08:37 AM
If I ever feel the urge to cut, I'd think of the dream I had a couple of nights ago. I went to the hairdressers and asked for a trim and she cut my hair into a chin length bob. She then asked my age, and when I told her she said that I would have to think about having a perm next time I came in. I left the salon in tears, feeling totally bereft. I felt that my goal of Classic by Christmas 2016 would not be achievable now. Can you imagine how relieved I was to wake up?

Unofficial_Rose
May 26th, 2015, 02:13 PM
If I ever feel the urge to cut, I'd think of the dream I had a couple of nights ago. I went to the hairdressers and asked for a trim and she cut my hair into a chin length bob. She then asked my age, and when I told her she said that I would have to think about having a perm next time I came in. I left the salon in tears, feeling totally bereft. I felt that my goal of Classic by Christmas 2016 would not be achievable now. Can you imagine how relieved I was to wake up?

Is it wrong that I find this funny? I'm 51 and have salon-based nightmares occasionally, but mine normally involve bad bleach jobs and ragged bobs.:scared:

elea
May 26th, 2015, 04:58 PM
If you think about cutting and you do not want to cut, you want to grow.
Think about...
The size of a padlock hook that is perfect to go through the scisor, that once padlocked cannot open without the key/combination, and do it.

Same applies if you: have a toddler, are a dressmaker, has someone around who grabs hair scisor to fix an oven door etc...
(Rant over)
I thought you might like a giggle (and the tip).

battles
May 26th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Triangle head. Not being able to bun it during summer when it's all hot and sticky outside and your hair is short and plastered to your neck. :justy: Seeing all your hair toys sit there, sad and unloved. Having to start from square one when you inevitably decide to grow long again.

kganihanova
May 26th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Dealing with the mid chest not bsl but not apl awkward stage

Agnes Hannah
May 27th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Is it wrong that I find this funny? I'm 51 and have salon-based nightmares occasionally, but mine normally involve bad bleach jobs and ragged bobs.:scared:

I've had those too, glad it made you chuckle!

vpatt
June 4th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I had my hair short for many years and now I like to think of shampoo days as spa days. It makes it more fun for me....even tho I don't really think about cutting it. It has finally reached 20.5" from a pixie type spiky cut with my neck shaved. I finally began missing my long hair from years ago.