PDA

View Full Version : Optical illusion

Totty
May 22nd, 2015, 04:06 AM
Is it just me, or does curly BSL hair look shorter then straight BSL hair? What about classic length? Or finger tip.
Is this an optical illusion because straight hair strand fall in onze direction? Or is it just me.

Night_Kitten
May 22nd, 2015, 04:56 AM
It could be that straight hair may seem longer because it has less volume than wavy or curly hair, which creates the illusion that it's longer... Not sure if such an illusion will "hold" at hip or classic, as at those lengths the difference in thickness is less pronounced (relatively, as the hair is longer)...
Personally, I haven't noticed that wavy hair looks shorter than straight hair, so maybe each person perceives things differently...

Wosie
May 22nd, 2015, 05:03 AM
For me it's more a case of the person's hemline. :hmm: If a person has a blunt hemline, the hair looks much longer than if the hair is cut in a deep U. I guess it makes sense!

lapushka
May 22nd, 2015, 05:35 AM
Dry curly hair at BSL should look the same length as straight BSL hair. I bet with movement the curly hair will look longer, not shorter. ;)

Estrid
May 22nd, 2015, 05:44 AM
I think it is that you can see the head easier and with that the actual length of it. My hair got quite a lot of volume and from behind it does not look that long, just looks like I got a big head :redgrin:

Totty
May 22nd, 2015, 06:49 AM
Thnx for the input everyone.

Dry curly hair at BSL should look the same length as straight BSL hair. I bet with movement the curly hair will look longer, not shorter. ;)
Could you explain why?
Why
Maybe this will explain what I mean, look at the picture below for 5 second, which one longer

http://www.inperc.com/wiki/images/2/25/Muller-Lyer.jpg

lapushka
May 22nd, 2015, 07:46 AM
Thnx for the input everyone.

Could you explain why?

Because curly hair at BSL (dry) is longer stretched, so with movement that becomes apparent that there is more length there! You can't compare hair length to an optical illusion, IMMHO.

Nique1202
May 22nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
The only reason I think any wavy or curly hair might look shorter than straight hair at a given length is that sometimes the wave/curl pulls the hemline up so that it's no longer straight. If the straight hair had a deep V cut and the curly hair was cut Devacurl style (I think?) so that the dry hair has a straighter hemline, the curly hair would definitely look longer in that case. We don't really see a particular length if there's only a tiny section reaching down to it and the bulk of the hair is higher on the back, we focus on where the bulk of the hair sits. That's the only optical illusion involved.

LeMimi13
May 22nd, 2015, 08:19 AM
I feel it with wavy hair, so I guess curlies will feel it even more!

Larki
May 22nd, 2015, 08:47 AM
For me it's more a case of the person's hemline. :hmm: If a person has a blunt hemline, the hair looks much longer than if the hair is cut in a deep U. I guess it makes sense!

This is the case for me too. If someone has a V hemline, I kinda perceive the hair as stopping at the point where the hair starts to narrow. Same thing with hair that has dyed ends - for some reason my eyes tend to disregard the dyed part as being part of their hair. :p

cat11
May 23rd, 2015, 11:06 AM

This!

If not, it's just you

picklepie
May 23rd, 2015, 04:41 PM
I definitely see layered hair as being shorter. Face-framing layers make it look shorter, or growing-out bangs. It's like my brain "averages" the length and it comes out somewhere in the middle. Funny.