PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's hair doesn't like buns at all?

longhairvixen
May 21st, 2015, 08:52 PM
I've tried to like buns, but i just dont like the feeling of something "on" my head. I love wearing double dutch braids though as protective styles. Loose buns always come undone and tight buns just feel restrictive. Even for a protective style, i like hair that is "down", not "up"

Personally one me, Buns, dont look good.

If a special occasion require me to wear it up, I would choose a french twists which look so elegant.

Please tell me I'm not the only one?

yahirwaO.o
May 21st, 2015, 09:17 PM
Well your are not the only one. I really dont like buns or braids (or hair up in any way) because my hair down is a glorious winner ;). It is dark, fine and slipery, so details dont show well in fancy braided stuff and my buns are quite small.

.,... still they are great for days when I have to make some hard physical things, cleaning the house or when I want people notice me instead of my hair. Side low buns and side braids feel less ¨hidding my hair¨.

Simply I just prefer my hair loose and free.

endlessly
May 21st, 2015, 09:29 PM
I agree with you, buns don't look good on me either. I know it's much more flattering for my face shape if I wear my hair down, but constantly dealing with catching on everything isn't my idea of a good time. I've worn buns out of necessity and my typical go-to style is a half-attempted nautilus with two clips holding it in place (so, in other words, not really a nautilus or a bun), but otherwise, I just don't find them to be comfortable. I'm always extremely aware that something is on my head versus with a braid, I almost forget about it. Plus, my hair texture really doesn't like them and if I manage to have a somewhat successful bun attempt, it will fall apart or slide in a matter of seconds.

divinedobbie
May 21st, 2015, 10:10 PM
I'm with ya on the not looking good with hair up in a bun part, but not that they're uncomfortable. I do have a very hard time making a good bun, most are too loose and forks slip out and I'm constantly re-doing and re-adjusting. Sticks are impossible. Octopus clips hold firm but I'm aware that I have something on my head. On the other hand, damp bunning and securing with only a hair tie and a spin pin to tuck the end in = winner. Totally forget I have hair, doesn't catch on everything, don't have to worry about the wind and chair and purse strap etc. So comfortable when done right. Keep trying :)

Nadine <3
May 21st, 2015, 10:23 PM
Hm, I'm not really sure if I like buns, OR if I just love showing off all my sticks and I love peoples reaction to hair kept up by nothing but a stick... WHen I wear a bun with a stick I get endless compliments and questions. If I wear a braid, or keep my hair down nobody cares.

For me I have face framing bangs as well so hair up isn't bad because I still have bit framing my face. I would probably hate buns if I didn't have my side bangs, because I look like I've been scalped without them.

Larki
May 21st, 2015, 10:32 PM
I have a seriously difficult time learning new buns, so I don't particularly like them, but my hair doesn't have any issues with staying in buns as long as I secure them properly.

elsieivy
May 21st, 2015, 10:55 PM
I've found very few buns that are comfortable enough for me to keep in all day. Sometimes I'll wear my hair in a bun for a few hours while running errands or something but I usually prefer braids.

lunalocks
May 21st, 2015, 11:48 PM
The good news is that you can do a french twist regardless of how long your hair is. There is a way.

I grew my hair to waist without ever wearing a bun. To keep it back it was a pony tail or a braid. (I was famous for my french braid.) But about that time, it became increasingly difficult to protect the ends. So I watched a LOT of bun videos and tried many. I found the ones that worked for me. If you had asked me 5 years ago, would I be wearing a bun every day, I would have laughed. But I do.

ExpectoPatronum
May 21st, 2015, 11:54 PM
I'm not a bun girl either. I much prefer braids when I wear my hair up. I feel buns look too severe on me.

cutekitty
May 22nd, 2015, 03:34 PM
So, what's the big deal? It's not like you're supposed to like buns :D

Note: if your loose buns come undone, perhaps it's because you're not using the right tools or method to secure them. I find that forks work best for holding loose updos.

Nique1202
May 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
If your hair typing and length in the sidebar is accurate, your hair is too thick and too short to really want to stay in a bun, so it's no wonder you're having trouble with them. I've got 29 inches of very slippery length, but layers up to 11-12 inches shorter than that, and I can still only cinnabun with three spin pins to hold it all in, or disc bun. I'm juuuust on the verge of being able to lazy wrap, and that's ONLY because of my layers.

I'm all for each person making their own choices, not everyone has to LOVE buns or anything, but getting frustrated with buns when your hair is too short and thick to stay in them is a little like me getting angry at tall store shelves because I'm too short to reach them, except your hair will grow into buns eventually if you let it and you practice, and I'm always going to have to ask for help in the grocery store.

rhosyn_du
May 22nd, 2015, 03:55 PM
I'm definitely much more of a braids and twists kind of girl, although I do like braided buns. My hair is just too slippery for most unbraided buns.

For those who dislike the severe look of buns (or other updos), but don't have or want bangs, I highly recommend Edwardian twists. When my hair is pulled back flat against my head, I look like the stereotypical "scary librarian," but if I do some Edwardian twists before I do my updo, I end up looking elegant and professional.

pili
May 22nd, 2015, 10:27 PM
I just don't like my hair up at all. I'm giving it a try to protect it, but I love wearing my hair wild. And my hair is lion's main wild! I love the feel of it on my back and shoulders.

Truthfully, if it weren't for all the layering (from a curly cut) I have, I wouldn't even attempt buns at my length.