PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much for my hair?

Arwenlily
May 21st, 2015, 04:45 PM
I started getting tired of having my hair look nice only on wash day which is every other day. So, this past week I have been washing normally with my no-poo moisturizing shampoo and olive oil/coconut oil leave-in and then the next day, washing my hair with water only and then putting some leave-in conditioner in and air drying. Is it too much for my hair to do something to it everyday? Also, is getting my hair completely soaked everyday going to lead to hygral fatigue?

Larki
May 21st, 2015, 04:55 PM
I think the only way to really know is to do it for a while and see how your hair reacts!

FallingDarkness
May 21st, 2015, 04:58 PM
I second that.
If it doesn't work out, it's not that hard to change your routine.

cutekitty
May 21st, 2015, 04:59 PM
I don't think it is too much. Many longhairs wash their hair daily. Mine gets completely wet almost every day (but I only use shampoo around twice a week), sometimes more than once in a single day, and I haven't noticed any damage. But I do take care of my hair and try my best to be gentle with it.
If you're happy with your current routine and feel that getting your hair soaked every day is necessary, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2015, 05:12 PM
It is too much for my hair - but as for yours, you may just have to try it and see.

Arwenlily
May 21st, 2015, 05:16 PM
What do you all think I would notice if it was too much?

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2015, 05:17 PM
My hair became very dry, tangly and split ended. It just didn't look healthy anymore.

mamaherrera
May 21st, 2015, 06:46 PM
I did that for a while because I wanted to get "nice curls" daily, but like you do, I would just wet it with water only in the shower. If we're going out or something I will do that. Because just didtzing it with a spray bottle, doesn't get the curls back. When i was swimming daily for exercise, I had to wash it with shampoo daily and that was after an hour of my hair being wet. So think of ladies who swim every day, they have no choice. But yeah, I don't think it will do any harm.

endlessly
May 21st, 2015, 06:54 PM
If that's what works for you, I say stick with it. I used to wash my hair daily just because it was routine and I grew up doing it, the only reason I stopped is just out of pure laziness. Now, with a heavy workout schedule, I don't have a choice but to wash my hair nearly every day. So, as long as you're taking care of your hair and using gentle products, not combing/brushing too aggressively, etc. - I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, but like others have suggested, time will tell. Try it out and see what happens.

divinedobbie
May 21st, 2015, 10:19 PM
I've said this lots of times on other threads so I'm sorry for all of you who've already heard this but - I used to be a daily washer all my life and I had super healthy hair with great ends and thickness. Then I started dyeing/heat/layers and that's what ruined my hair. I stretched washes for a while but the sebum/oil/dirt buildup gave me huge sheds so I went back to daily washing. Hair feels great and is constantly getting healthier again. My two roommates both have absolutely gorgeous hip+ hair and wash every day. I don't think washing daily or hygral fatigue is such a big deal or many people wouldn't be able to grow their hair as long as they can.

ExpectoPatronum
May 21st, 2015, 11:53 PM
Agreeing with a lot of people here. If it's too much, you'll find out :p

My hair is okay with getting wet every day. I just shower every other day because my skin hates it. Hell, if my skin didn't react so badly to showering every day (I start getting rashes after showering daily for a few days), and if my hair didn't take forever to dry, I'd probably wash it every day too!

Arwenlily
May 22nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone. I figure if I really need it to look nice to go out or something, I can just do what I have been doing. But maybe on a daily basis it is too much for my hair, especially if it is only for looks. I don't want to put extra stress on my hair if I can avoid it. Also, if I wash it everyday that is an extra day that I have to detangle and I don't want increased breakage.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2015, 11:03 AM
I think that hygral fatigue would eventually reveal itself as some kind of damage over time, but if getting your hair wet too often is the only damaging thing you do, the impact may well be minimal.