PDA

View Full Version : Considering a cut for the first time in 5.5 years.

Atira
May 21st, 2015, 09:51 AM
So I haven't had scissors put to my head since October 2009. It was then to my shoulder blades maybe in back and shorter in front. It is now to just hip, longest pieces. The problem is that it's been at barely hip for years. I can tell it is growing ok based on my virgin color line (17 months dye-free), but it's breaking off at the bottom, I suppose.

I don't want to trim it myself. I am afraid if just going to a random place. So I'm considering getting a deva cut. I have read a lot about it and think it might be a good change. If I hate it it will eventually grow out.

I don't love my hair right now. I wear it up a fair amount but I just don't have time to learn lots of fun buns and braids (I'm really bad at braiding anyway) so it looks just kinda blah most of the time. And I like wearing it down when I can. I desperately wanted tailbone length or longer but I just don't think my hair will grow that long. Or maybe with some of this bleach damage off it might. Not sure. It's fine and thin and in between wavy and curly with a lot of taper.

Here are pictures of my growth. Thoughts? Sorry so big.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/229366_10150187620535847_3105568_n.jpg?oh=335c6b07 85fa1db23ae6990be09c2409&oe=56024805

December 2012
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/19229_10151260683850847_599705996_n.jpg?oh=a88cdf6 86c37d01ab27c9ec7f30541f3&oe=55C4F485

January 2015
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10926285_10152668423190847_2990404811347337513_o.j pg

This past week

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/t31.0-8/11114741_10152928674595847_7360048261103208351_o.j pg

From the front.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/t31.0-8/11114741_10152928674600847_4922198705073572751_o.j pg

hidetheice
May 21st, 2015, 10:20 AM
Don't you dare cut your hair!! Those curls are so beautiful.

(That said, if you would be happier with shorter hair then you should do it, but i personally think your hair is too pretty to cut =))

lapushka
May 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
I think once that bleach is off (pretty natural color you got!), you'll grow further lengths. So I'd not give up, and maybe microtrim, or learn to using Feye's method. You can't do much wrong with that, and you don't have to cut off a lot.

spidermom
May 21st, 2015, 10:51 AM
Be careful about deva cuts. Make sure you see a stylist's work before you get this done. I remember a former member who got the "deva cut", which brought most of her hair up to about APL with a few straggly strands longer than that. It was really and truly hideous. I think that the beauty of your hair would be greatly enhanced by trimming the longest, thinnest ends back to the level of the next-longest ends. For some of us, regular small trims allow for better growth by (I assume) keeping the split ends under control.

Anje
May 21st, 2015, 11:14 AM
For what it's worth, I think it's pretty. I always love curly hair with fairytale ends -- the way it spirals to nothing is just so cool!

That said, I get the need to trim -- I spent years hacking mine back to TB because I didn't like how the ends thinned out. Honestly, if the bleached ends are crumbling and getting you down, it might be worth it for you. Even if you just get a couple inches trimmed off, it might not make much visual difference in your length but might make a big difference in how it handles. Don't overdo it, though!

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 11:38 AM
I'm a big fan of your hair, I think it's very beautiful. I loved your braid in the braiding thread, I don't think you are bad at it at all!

I can't help but compare my hair to yours. I haven't cut for the about the same length of time. It will be 6 years this summer. I think we have had a similar amount of growth in that time and we have a similar hair type.

I suspect the very ends of my hair are old enough to be heat damaged from straightening still, I am guessing this might be similar to thoughts you have about bleach damage.

I do sometimes wonder if I would retain more length if I trimmed them off. Then I get stuck in a thought loop about maintaining if I can grow just a bit longer and whether there is any point in maintaining if those ends are gradually getting cut off with S&D anyway.

I guess you will never know if you would retain more length if you trimmed unless you do it. I guess you have to weigh up which is better, trimming and knowing for sure, or not trimming and not having any regrets about how long you hair might have been if you hadn't. Also whether or not you mind having fairytails or if you really want blunt hair.

I hope my thinking aloud is in some way helpful. I am very indecisive. I hope you are able to make decision that makes you happy :)

Atira
May 21st, 2015, 11:41 AM
The stylist I'd go to has years of positive reviews and extensive training. I never wear my hair straight and I wouldnt get much off the length, but I must have splits so I guess those would have to go. I will not cut my hair myself, I just won't do it. I've watched the videos and have read all the articles and threads here. Too nervous.

I do like fairytale ends but it's just not growing in length anymore and I don't like the way it lays. I won't dye it so I feel like I need a type of change.

spidermom
May 21st, 2015, 11:52 AM
Best wishes to you; sometimes a change is the right thing to do.

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 11:56 AM
Sounds like you know what you need to do, you just need to find the right person to do it :)

Atira
May 21st, 2015, 03:34 PM
I'm a big fan of your hair, I think it's very beautiful. I loved your braid in the braiding thread, I don't think you are bad at it at all!

I can't help but compare my hair to yours. I haven't cut for the about the same length of time. It will be 6 years this summer. I think we have had a similar amount of growth in that time and we have a similar hair type.

I suspect the very ends of my hair are old enough to be heat damaged from straightening still, I am guessing this might be similar to thoughts you have about bleach damage.

I do sometimes wonder if I would retain more length if I trimmed them off. Then I get stuck in a thought loop about maintaining if I can grow just a bit longer and whether there is any point in maintaining if those ends are gradually getting cut off with S&D anyway.

I guess you will never know if you would retain more length if you trimmed unless you do it. I guess you have to weigh up which is better, trimming and knowing for sure, or not trimming and not having any regrets about how long you hair might have been if you hadn't. Also whether or not you mind having fairytails or if you really want blunt hair.

I hope my thinking aloud is in some way helpful. I am very indecisive. I hope you are able to make decision that makes you happy :)

This does help. I think I just might need to know if trimming will help. It just doesn't make sense to me that my roots have grown 5-6 inches and my ends haven't grown at all. :/

elsieivy
May 21st, 2015, 03:40 PM
The stylist I'd go to has years of positive reviews and extensive training. I never wear my hair straight and I wouldnt get much off the length, but I must have splits so I guess those would have to go. I will not cut my hair myself, I just won't do it. I've watched the videos and have read all the articles and threads here. Too nervous.

I do like fairytale ends but it's just not growing in length anymore and I don't like the way it lays. I won't dye it so I feel like I need a type of change.

That seems like a good plan. Your hair is very pretty but if there is damage on the ends then some trimming might help you to gain length.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2015, 04:05 PM
Maybe you could try micro trims for a while to see if that helps with growth? It is helping my hair a lot and making me happier with my ends too. Your hair is so pretty and it seems such a shame to chop a large part of it off before you have tried micro trims. Chopping should be a very last resort in my book. Unless you are just tired of long hair, of course.

Atira
May 21st, 2015, 05:51 PM
Well, I'm not wanting to chop. I'm open to a few inches off length and "layers" if needed to shape.

Acidrop
May 21st, 2015, 09:50 PM
Good gosh please don't cut the fairy ends!

You're hair is so lovely and unique, you'd spoil the wok of art you've created!

Atira
May 22nd, 2015, 06:46 AM
Hmm. Well, I need to do something. Maybe I will try going back to the CG method. I used to do it then just kinda fell off the wagon. Maybe will try that a few more months before cutting. I don't know.

Atira
May 22nd, 2015, 07:24 AM
I do have a question though. Do tall think my hair has reached terminal? Those who are saying "don't cut it", why would my growth stop unless it was either too dMaged (needs to be trimmed)?

cathair
May 22nd, 2015, 09:04 AM
If you hair has completely stopped getting longer because it is breaking off as fast as it grows, I would think it could only have reached a false terminal. It would only be a true terminal length if it couldn't grow any longer because the longest hairs keep shedding out.

I was thinking some more about it, you have a slight advantage having bleach damage rather than heat damage because you probably can see yourself exactly where it will end. I can only guess at where mine ends. It might be that you need to keep trimming the bleached part more regularly until it grows out, to keep the ends strong and to stop it breaking off.

How do the ends of you hair feel? Do you see many white dots or split ends? Or is you hair just magically disappearing? Do you get white dots higher up your hair? Do you do any S&D?

Atira
May 22nd, 2015, 09:57 AM
I don't do s and d. I'm too scared to put scissors to my own head. Lol Because of my hair texture it's hard to see splits or dots unless it's brushed put then yes I can see them on the ends. I'm hoping as my dye grows out I could gain length. But maybe then I should get it trimmed so some of the damage is off? Is that what you are saying?

Did CG method today. It looks worse than ever. Blah.

Atira
May 22nd, 2015, 09:59 AM
But no heat damage, no. I might blow dry with a diffuser twice a year, lol. And I have had my hair straightened about three times in my life.

molljo
May 22nd, 2015, 02:13 PM
I think you should go for the Deva cut. You clearly want a change, you have a good stylist in mind, and your ends need trimmed, especially because they keep breaking off due to the dye damage. I would just be very, very specific about what you want when/if you decide to get it cut.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
It is true that some people have a much shorter terminal length than they wish for. Since you've used bleach, however, I wouldn't assume that you are one of those people. My vote would be ends breaking off. That's pretty easy to judge, however. Always comb your hair in the same place, and if the surfaces are too light in color to see bits of hair, spread a dark towel or pillowcase. Comb your hair and then check for short bits. This is one way to see if your ends are truly breaking off. In the past I had a lot of heat damage, and the bathroom floor and sink area would be littered with short bits of hair after combing and styling. I became so frustrated with it that I ended up cutting quite a lot of length to get rid of the worst of the damage. I could see and feel it!

cathair
May 22nd, 2015, 05:13 PM
I don't do s and d. I'm too scared to put scissors to my own head. Lol Because of my hair texture it's hard to see splits or dots unless it's brushed put then yes I can see them on the ends. I'm hoping as my dye grows out I could gain length. But maybe then I should get it trimmed so some of the damage is off? Is that what you are saying?

Did CG method today. It looks worse than ever. Blah.

If you don't S&D then I would imagine that a trim would even more beneficial at this point. If I hadn't been doing that, I don't think I would have lasted this long. I think I would have gone nuts and trimmed mine by now.

When there are splits and white dots in the ends of my hair, it's too hard to comb or separate my hair. I end up doing it more damage trying to separate strands because it's so grabby. I would imagine that this could eat up some of your length, even if your ends weren't breaking off from being bleached.

I have to take my hat off to you that you have gone so long without either.

I don't think you have anything to lose by trimming, even a inch or two might make a big difference.

Deborah
May 22nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
I don't know what a deva cut is, so I can't comment on that, but it does sound as if your hair needs a serious cut or at least trim to remove some of the damaged ends. I bet it will grow much longer for you once you have cut it! Good luck!

vega
May 22nd, 2015, 10:06 PM
I say do it after all it's your hair and if it's braking off it's begging for a trim why have nice hair when you can have better hair and you will feel better about the way you see your hair

pili
May 23rd, 2015, 08:51 AM
From the perspective of both good and bad curly cuts, I say the most important thing is to have a Deva cut from someone who LISTENS. My first curly cut was at an Deva-trained salon and It was no good. She argued with me about my naturally coarse hair being soooo damaged (it wasn't) and then cut too much off. My second cut was at a salon that specialized in curly hair though they were not a Deva salon. The two stylists there were amazing! They made my curls look awesome.

That said, look at my sig pic. That is my last curly cut from January. They did not remove length, but I lost half the mass of my hair. Now that I have opted to grow it TBL I am having to deal with major taper and I have super thick hair to begin with. The purpose of a curly cut is to make the curls pop. If you love layering, go for it. If you like wearing your hair down, go for it. If you have no desire for a thick hemline, go for it.

I think your hair is gorgeous, but unless you are doing it to really emphasize the curls, I would go for a more conventional cut. Growing out Deva cut layers is a pain in the a$$. Talk to the stylist and see if maybe she can not go so extreme on the layering. If she lives up to her reputation, then she should be a good listener.

burny
May 23rd, 2015, 10:02 AM
Assuming you want to keep the hair long as you grow out the bleach, but aren't happy with the damage on the ends. My thoughts would be, based on the fact that I hate the growth period between shoulder length and BSL, to try one of these processes, depending on how much you want to maintain the length, vs quickly get rid of the bleach line:
A: get 1-2 inches trimmed off every 2-4months. idea being to keep the ends from being excessively dead/split until the bleach is grown out
B: S&D, a few aggressive sessions(would probably take about 10hours), to get rid of as many splits as you can, not just from the length, and then maintain with S&D(probably a couple hours per month).

When I had a similar situation, I had about a 6" trim after the 5years, and then did about 3" every 6months or so. this was long before I joined LHC though. I think the way I would handle that situation today, would be to get 1" every 3months, and maintain with S&D in between cuts.

Atira
May 23rd, 2015, 10:09 AM
I found her reviews on the naturallycurl.com website. It seemed like she was someone who listens and goes very slow taking length off. I do want to bring out my curls- they used to be much curlier and now they are so flat.. I love wearing my hair down but rarely do so because it looks bad, I think.

pili
May 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
I found her reviews on the naturallycurl.com website. It seemed like she was someone who listens and goes very slow taking length off. I do want to bring out my curls- they used to be much curlier and now they are so flat.. I love wearing my hair down but rarely do so because it looks bad, I think.

Then meet with her and talk about your ultimate goals. Both the good and bad experiences I had were from finding them at NC.com. Hopefully it will be like the second place I found and they really listen and work with your goals, but if she starts telling you things that make it seem like she is not listening, keep looking until you find someone who does.

kitcatsmeow
May 23rd, 2015, 12:29 PM
I don't know what a "deva cut" is but if I were you, I would just trim 1-2 inches off the back. If you have shorter hair in the front this will even it out a bit as well as get rid of the damaged ends. You should be able to grow that back fairly quickly and your hem should be much nicer. Your hair is lovely :) I like the virgin with the lighter ends its a natural ombre!

Atira
May 26th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I'm scheduling the cut for late June (earliest to get in with the stylist). It gives me time to try some CG methods and products, mayyyybe try to learn a few new buns or braids, and really decide how to describe to her what my goals for my hair are.

pili
May 26th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I'm scheduling the cut for late June (earliest to get in with the stylist). It gives me time to try some CG methods and products, mayyyybe try to learn a few new buns or braids, and really decide how to describe to her what my goals for my hair are.

Good call and good luck. :)

Unicorn
May 27th, 2015, 06:33 AM
I'm just see this gorgeous hair that I can find no fault with - other than not gaining length fast enough.

I'm with those who say it mostly like due to breakages from the bleaching. Many people are unable to get their bleached hair as long as yours is. I'm with the micro trims and S & D if you can bring yourself to do it. If it gets that long having been bleached, I can't imagine it could be at terminal yet.

Unicorn

kitschy
May 27th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I personally would not do a Deva cut. Layering will only make your hair thinner at the bottom. Thinner hair is more prone to damage (strength in numbers and all that). If I were you I would do a simple trim every 3 to 6 months until your bleach is gone. But I'm not you. Your hair is beautiful - just know that

Charybdis
May 27th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I am confident you can grow to TBL! Your ends are crumbling away, which is causing the length stall. The combination of bleach and accumulated mechanical damage can really do a number on long fine hair. Also, I'm amazed you've been able to go this long between trims *without* any S&D! I S&D frequently because I just get far too many tangles otherwise at longer lengths, and would have to get trims every 6 months or so if I weren't cutting off splits and fairy knots.

Once you have grown out the bleach, I'm sure you will be able to reach your length goal. :)

Atira
May 28th, 2015, 01:37 PM
I am confident you can grow to TBL! Your ends are crumbling away, which is causing the length stall. The combination of bleach and accumulated mechanical damage can really do a number on long fine hair. Also, I'm amazed you've been able to go this long between trims *without* any S&D! I S&D frequently because I just get far too many tangles otherwise at longer lengths, and would have to get trims every 6 months or so if I weren't cutting off splits and fairy knots.

Once you have grown out the bleach, I'm sure you will be able to reach your length goal. :)

This Makes me so hopeful!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2015, 02:04 PM

I also agree with this - I'm sure you will be able to grow your hair to beautiful long lengths, and what a wonderful mane it will be!

Atira
June 24th, 2015, 08:22 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/1z4x0ef.jpg

Got it trimmed today! I LOVED my stylist, she listened to my thoughts, said that I'd only maybe need a trim once a year or less often (she only gets a cut every year), and she loved my growing in natural color and didn't try to tell my to dye it!

My DH can barely tell a difference, which I'm happy about. She pretty much just took off the more damaged ends and put a teeny tiny bit of layers (but like a deva cut where it's cut individual curls, not slicing at all.) it feels healthier, and swingier.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153025524750847&l=db6abd1528

LemonFizzy
June 24th, 2015, 09:08 PM
It looks really good! Just shaped up a little. Your stylist sounds like a keeper.

elsieivy
June 24th, 2015, 09:41 PM
It looks fantastic! Yay for good hairdressers!

Atira
June 24th, 2015, 09:45 PM
It looks really good! Just shaped up a little. Your stylist sounds like a keeper.

I agree, she is a keeper. She is about a 2 hour drive and pricey, but since I won't be going much, that's ok.

lapushka
June 25th, 2015, 06:48 AM
It looks great! :D

spidermom
June 25th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Excellent result!

luxurioushair
June 25th, 2015, 07:07 AM
That's amazing hair!

TrapperCreekD
June 25th, 2015, 11:03 AM
I love it! :thumbsup: Your stylist definitely sounds like a keeper!

Mimha
June 27th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Fantastic, Atira ! :) :)

It just gives a little more fullness and some fresh looking bounciness to the whole, without chopping off to much of your so beautifully fairytaled ends ! I think you have found a very good compromise to go on growing and strengthening your hair... and also a miraculous hairdresser^^ !....

So happy for you ! :blossom: