PDA

View Full Version : Champi - you NEED to try it!

DancingQueen
May 21st, 2015, 04:55 AM
Just did a champi oiling on my hair with coconut oil, and I don't remember the last time it felt this AMAZING! My curls are soft, shiny, bouncy, and almost frizz-free. You really need to give this a try, your hair will feel amazing. I will put a link to a youtube video in the bottom, and maybe try to see if I can add some pictures.

Champi is a lot like normal oiling, except you pul a lot more oil in. You literally soak your hair so much, that the oil is dripping from it. You are supposed to do this once or twice a month.

1) Comb or brush your hair (I combed it). This is done on dry hair; make sure you don't have too much product in beforehand for the best effect.
2) In dry combed hair, soak (and I mean SOAK) your hair in oil. In the video, they use several bottles. You do not need to use that much oil; but you need to spend some time working it thoroughly into your hair, to the point that it feels squishy, and oil will drip from it if you squeeze it. When you think you used too much, use a little more. :) You can put some oil on your scalp as well, but focus it on the length of the hair - the scalp should be slightly less soaking.
3) When you oiled your hair sufficiently, gently squeeze the excess oil out of your hair, as much as you can. The more oil you can squeeze out, the better job you did. Every single hair will be covered in oil.
4) Put your hair in a bun, and leave the oil in for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
5) Wash out the oil with shampoo and conditioner, and style as usual. Do note that you will need a lot more shampoo than usual to get all the oil out, but the results will still be amazing.

I oiled my hair right before I went to bed, left it in overnight, washed it out the next morning (maybe 10 hours later) with normal shampoo and conditioner, and styled my hair as usual. This means putting in a tiny dot of curling creme, some heat protection spray, and drying my hair with a diffuser on medium heat setting, and medium air flow.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUraxXA5P4M

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 05:43 AM
I agree with you on this, my hair loves a good soak :) I soak mine in as much coconut oil as it will take every time I do a pre-wash oil. Glad to hear your hair is so happy :)

ChloeDharma
May 21st, 2015, 09:05 AM
When I read "champi" I took it to mean massage. This very heavy oiling thing came up recently and there was a youtube video linked in the thread. I did then come across an article by an Indian lady who advised the same thing, really soaking in the oil so your hair is drenched. I'm thinking I should try this as I have wondered if I put enoughoil on before despite my hair looking wet with it when I do oil.
When you put in that much oil does it dribble down your face of neck in the night?

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 09:19 AM
I'd love to read the article, if you can find it easily again :)

I dunno if your question is general or for OP. In my experience, it has dribbled down my forehead or neck if I really go for it. My solution to that is to wrap my hair straight up in my pocket bonnet sleeping cap, then sleep in that and it stops all the dripping :) My hair will be saturated, you can see the oil it, but dry to the touch by the morning.

The only caveat at I have with this is that if leave the oil on for an hour or two instead of over night, it's quite hard to wash all the excess oil off. Because it hasn't soaked in enough.

ChloeDharma
May 21st, 2015, 10:36 AM
I'd love to read the article, if you can find it easily again :)

I dunno if your question is general or for OP. In my experience, it has dribbled down my forehead or neck if I really go for it. My solution to that is to wrap my hair straight up in my pocket bonnet sleeping cap, then sleep in that and it stops all the dripping :) My hair will be saturated, you can see the oil it, but dry to the touch by the morning.

The only caveat at I have with this is that if leave the oil on for an hour or two instead of over night, it's quite hard to wash all the excess oil off. Because it hasn't soaked in enough.

I will try to find it again, I think I might have even posted it in a thread recently....I wish I could remember what search brought it up though.

My question was for anyone who has tried this so thank you for answering :flower: I suppose I could sleep inmy sleep cap with it and add a towel for insurance, or even do it in the daytime and wear a towel on top of a shower cap or sleep cap to catch drips. I get what you mean about soaking time, I would certainly want to leave it in a good 12 hours or so to make the most of it.
I must say, going by your avatar photo if you do this regularly then you are a good advert for it!

endlessly
May 21st, 2015, 10:53 AM
Wow, very interesting. The only reason I'd be hesitant to try this is the fear that I wouldn't be able to wash the excess oil out!

Clarkie
May 21st, 2015, 10:55 AM
For those who have tried this method, did you notice any extra shedding? I've heard some people shed more when they oil their scalp heavily.

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 11:10 AM
I will try to find it again, I think I might have even posted it in a thread recently....I wish I could remember what search brought it up though.

My question was for anyone who has tried this so thank you for answering :flower: I suppose I could sleep inmy sleep cap with it and add a towel for insurance, or even do it in the daytime and wear a towel on top of a shower cap or sleep cap to catch drips. I get what you mean about soaking time, I would certainly want to leave it in a good 12 hours or so to make the most of it.
I must say, going by your avatar photo if you do this regularly then you are a good advert for it!

I have also used a turbie towel instead of a sleeping cap, that could be a good in between if you don't want to get a sleeping cap oily or don't want to sleep on a towel. I started using one of my sleeping caps when my turbie towel was in the wash. I thought it wouldn't be enough to contain the oil, but was surprised to find it was :) I ended up sticking with the cap because I thought it was less likely to draw the oil away from my hair than the turbie towel, but I don't think it really makes much difference.

Thank you, that is very sweet of you to say :blushing: I don't think my hair is always quite that shiny, ah the wonders of flash photography :D

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 11:18 AM
For those who have tried this method, did you notice any extra shedding? I've heard some people shed more when they oil their scalp heavily.

Nope. But saying that, I don't think it's necessary to rub the oil into your scalp.

I use it from squirted out of a blue bottle like the video, but I will start from the ears down like I do with conditioner. Then I will pour it into my hand are smooth it over the hair higher up on my head and work it into the roots. That way it doesn't actually need to go directly on to my skin.

I have oiled my scalp with it, with no ill effect. But I would try to avoid directly oiling my scalp with it now, since I learnt coconut oil is comedogenic and can block pores.

ChloeDharma
May 21st, 2015, 11:24 AM
I have also used a turbie towel instead of a sleeping cap, that could be a good in between if you don't want to get a sleeping cap oily or don't want to sleep on a towel. I started using one of my sleeping caps when my turbie towel was in the wash. I thought it wouldn't be enough to contain the oil, but was surprised to find it was :) I ended up sticking with the cap because I thought it was less likely to draw the oil away from my hair than the turbie towel, but I don't think it really makes much difference.

Thank you, that is very sweet of you to say :blushing: I don't think my hair is always quite that shiny, ah the wonders of flash photography :D

I found it :D It actually was easier to find than I expected, or I just was lucky lol.

http://habmath.hubpages.com/hub/A-Holistic-Approach-to-Hair-Care

The towel I'm thinking of on top of the satin cap, more to catch excess as like you I wouldn't want it to absorb too much oil taking it away from the hairs. My other reason is to hold in heat.

You're welcome, I always notice that shine when I see posts by you :)

neko_kawaii
May 21st, 2015, 11:32 AM
For oil removal, try saturating the oiled hair in conditioner and letting that set for 20 minutes before rinsing out. It works like a charm.

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 11:51 AM
I found it :D It actually was easier to find than I expected, or I just was lucky lol.

http://habmath.hubpages.com/hub/A-Holistic-Approach-to-Hair-Care

The towel I'm thinking of on top of the satin cap, more to catch excess as like you I wouldn't want it to absorb too much oil taking it away from the hairs. My other reason is to hold in heat.

You're welcome, I always notice that shine when I see posts by you :)

That's really interesting, thank you for the link :) I think I am going to need to re-read it again later to take all that in.

She really seems to rate putting oil on your scalp, which I have been avoiding more recently. :hmm: but she says she uses almond oil herself. My face and hands love almond oil and I am due a good oiling tonight. I think I am going to try soaking my scalp in almond oil and soaking the length in coconut oil, see what that's like :)

Ayurveda is something that keeps cropping up in my research about other things apart from hair. I think I am going to have to learn more about it :)

Clarkie
May 21st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Nope. But saying that, I don't think it's necessary to rub the oil into your scalp.

I use it from squirted out of a blue bottle like the video, but I will start from the ears down like I do with conditioner. Then I will pour it into my hand are smooth it over the hair higher up on my head and work it into the roots. That way it doesn't actually need to go directly on to my skin.

I have oiled my scalp with it, with no ill effect. But I would try to avoid directly oiling my scalp with it now, since I learnt coconut oil is comedogenic and can block pores.
(
Thank you for your reply. I think I'm going to give this method a try. Last year when I first joined LHC I did an overnight coconut oil treatment not using NEARLY as much oil as the Champi, but I did massage it into my scalp. I was shocked by the amount of hair I lost. :(
Since that experience, whenever I do any oiling I only apply from the ears down but so far it's only been a light oiling a few times a week at bedtime.

DancingQueen
May 22nd, 2015, 02:14 AM
When I read "champi" I took it to mean massage. This very heavy oiling thing came up recently and there was a youtube video linked in the thread. I did then come across an article by an Indian lady who advised the same thing, really soaking in the oil so your hair is drenched. I'm thinking I should try this as I have wondered if I put enoughoil on before despite my hair looking wet with it when I do oil.
When you put in that much oil does it dribble down your face of neck in the night?

Yes, it does dribble a little. I squeezed out as much as I could and put it in a bun for the night, and I think that helped a lot. My pillow was a bit wet with coconut oil. But coconut oil is good for the skin as well, so you can also use the oil as an overnight moisturizing mask! :)

Wow, very interesting. The only reason I'd be hesitant to try this is the fear that I wouldn't be able to wash the excess oil out!

It does take some more shampoo, and a little patience - but it is really worth it! :)

If you oil your scalp heavily, you will probably notice increased shedding. However, if you only heavy oil your length, and rub a little bit on the scalp, and of course over the crown area, you should be fine. I did this, and I did not shed more than usual. :)

cathair
May 22nd, 2015, 09:23 AM
So I tried almond oil on my scalp as well as coconut oil on my length last night. I might have over done the almond oil a little. Even so it washed out without any problems. Hair feels lovely :) Stuck it in a rope braid and it feels super smooth. I will be curious to see if my scalp feels any less dry over the coming week. If it does then I think it may be worth the extra effort, if it doesn't then probably isn't.

Nadine <3
May 22nd, 2015, 09:29 AM
I'm going to try this out today, but I will be avoiding putting any oil on my scalp. I have SD and oil up there is a bad idea. I'm going to leave mine on during the day and wash out tonight.

Hairkay
May 22nd, 2015, 11:18 AM
I already have an oil DC at least once a month. I think that's my limit with water only washing.

Nadine <3
May 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
I warmed up some coconut oil in a bowl and dipped my hair in and completely soaked it, now I have a shower cap on and a knit hat. I really hope the results are amazing because doing this was a mess and now it's dripping down my neck. Not exactly pleasant.

Quasiquixotic
May 22nd, 2015, 11:46 AM
I did it last night with olive oil. I'm not sure I used enough, but I used 4 handfulls. I couldn't really squeeze out extra oil, but it was certainly more oil than I've ever used before.

However, I don't think I got it all out. My length is piecey after my wash this morning. I stopped at my ears, so my scalp is fine and in a bun it's not really noticeable. It feel soft and nice. I'll try this again, maybe with coconut oil, I have a lot of oils I need to use up.

I just have to get better about getting all the oil out again.

ETA: I do think it made my hair straighter, not that it was very wavy to start with, but it's a noticeable change.

Nadine <3
May 22nd, 2015, 03:11 PM
Okay, my hair has just dried and I do have nice hair, but these are my thoughts one it. While it did make my hair soft I don't think I'll be repeating it. Applying it was messy and I felt like I wasted a lot of oil. It was dripped all over the bathroom counter and in the sink and even the floor. I felt like I was being carefull, but I still had it going everywhere. and even more dripped down my face and neck while I sat in it. It's also inconvenient for me, because there's no way I could sleep with it on. I'm an active sleeper and it would get everywhere and I do not want it all over my face where I'd break out in painful acne. For me, a light oiling the night before I wash is far more convenient (I could even leave the house if I needed too) than putting half a ton of oil on my head and then sitting with a cap on and still wiping up drips. The result are not as soft, but it's good enough for me.

cat11
May 22nd, 2015, 07:07 PM
in the past I have had very bad experience with anything that gets oil on myscalp but I would be willing to try this on the length again

DancingQueen
May 24th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Okay, my hair has just dried and I do have nice hair, but these are my thoughts one it. While it did make my hair soft I don't think I'll be repeating it. Applying it was messy and I felt like I wasted a lot of oil. It was dripped all over the bathroom counter and in the sink and even the floor. I felt like I was being carefull, but I still had it going everywhere. and even more dripped down my face and neck while I sat in it. It's also inconvenient for me, because there's no way I could sleep with it on. I'm an active sleeper and it would get everywhere and I do not want it all over my face where I'd break out in painful acne. For me, a light oiling the night before I wash is far more convenient (I could even leave the house if I needed too) than putting half a ton of oil on my head and then sitting with a cap on and still wiping up drips. The result are not as soft, but it's good enough for me.

Hi Nadine, sorry to hear it was too messy. I don't know if you were using a squirt bottle like in the video; I do think that would be difficult and messy to try for yourself. A small tip if you ever change your mind and want to try it again: put a towel or an old t-shirt around your shoulders, to prevent too much oil dripping down. Also, pour your oil into a jar or a bowl, so you can take it up by hand, and work the oil into your hair by hand. Then you go to the bathroom, and squeeze the excess oil out. I did it this way, and there was barely any clean-up afterwards. :) I would personally prefer sleeping in it, maybe with my hair in a shower cap, or with a towel or an old t-shirt over the pillowcase, if you don't like bunning it.

mssummerrose
May 24th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I am super excited to try this!! I am doing my first gelatin protein treatment this weekend, so champi is on the calendar for next weekend!!

lapushka
May 24th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Seems like when you need to soak your hair in oil, then squeeze all that excess out, seems a lot of waste. I think it's a very wasteful method. I can't let oil go near my scalp and too much oil on the length would just result in greasy hair, unless shampooing it out times over. So no, give it a pass. I'm not going to try. I remember oilings in the past, regular ones, and the grease that resulted from it. Using oil sparingly is what seems to be working for me, so I'll stick to that.

Thanks for sharing, though!

longhairmomof7
May 24th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Could you use grapeseed oil for this method? I have a nice sized bottle of that I wouldn't mind using... but I am stingy with my jojoba oil LOL and coconut oil breaks me out :/

mssummerrose
May 24th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I was wondering about types of oils, too! What oil is cheap enough to use such a quantity? (I am even wondering if "vegetable oil" - not sure what type I really have - would work!)

ChloeDharma
May 24th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I'm assuming it would need to be a penetrating oil, the cheapest one I can think of in that group is olive oil. Maybe refined coconut oil would work as it's cheaper than virgin coconut oil but still penetrates. Parachute can be brought cheaply and seems not to be refined.

Clarkie
May 24th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I don't know if what I ended up doing qualified as "Champi" but it was definitely the most oil I'd ever put into my hair.
I was hesitant about putting it on my scalp, but at the last minute I decided to go for it and I'm glad I did. I used about a cup of melted coconut oil. I applied it with a squirt bottle over the bathroom sink, with an old towel on the floor to catch any drips. I was actually astounded at how much oil my hair soaked up.
After saturating my hair I piled it on top of my head and then wrapped my hair in a couple of layers of plastic wrap. I then wrapped a long sleeved t-shirt around my head "plopping" style.
I covered my pillow with another towel and went to sleep. When I got up I took the tshirt and plastic off my head and put my hair up with an old scrunchie and went about my housecleaning. I'd say the oil was on my head for a total of about 15 hours. Just before my shower I took about 3 palmfuls of conditioner and worked it into my scalp and hair and left that on for about 15 minutes
The conditioner and oil rinsed out with no trouble and my hair is shiny and soft as silk. I didn't notice alot of shedding. I'd say maybe the usual 20ish hairs that I lose on wash day. Just make sure to have something non-slip on the shower floor as the oil does make it slippery!
I will definitely be adding this to my routine. I'm not sure how often though.
If you intend to continue with this treatment how often will you do it?

Saproxylic
May 24th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I'm attempting it now with about one fourth a cup of olive oil (I only have shoulder length hair and not a lot of it) because my hair has been suffering from the weather (and the fact that I have lost my claw clip, so it has been down and all over the place) and gone pretty rough. I will report the success tomorrow, after sleeping on it.

cutekitty
May 24th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Seems like when you need to soak your hair in oil, then squeeze all that excess out, seems a lot of waste. I think it's a very wasteful method.

I totally agree. I usually saturate my hair when I oil it, but never to the extent of having to squeeze excess oil! Even if I squeeze, it doesn't drip. A few tablespoons are all I use at most, and it does the job very well.

Saproxylic
May 25th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Well, I did it, and I'm not at all that impressed. First of all the amount of both oil and shampoo and conditioner I used up to totally get the oil out was way too huge, my condish is expensive (I guess I should buy a cheaper one for experimenting anyways though) and, well, my hair is nice and soft but not in a really striking way (SMT made a lot more difference). Also, I shedded like crazy, and I though I don't think it's possible to instantly shed from a treatment (probably the hair that came out would have come out in the next few days anyway, I will monitor if I shed less the few following days). Generally just too much hassle and too little payoff for me, but my hair usually does not require much extra oil anyway. If only I could leave it alone :D

DancingQueen
May 25th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Could you use grapeseed oil for this method? I have a nice sized bottle of that I wouldn't mind using... but I am stingy with my jojoba oil LOL and coconut oil breaks me out :/

I was wondering about types of oils, too! What oil is cheap enough to use such a quantity? (I am even wondering if "vegetable oil" - not sure what type I really have - would work!)

I assume you could use any oil in theory, though the more penetrating the better. But you should probably look for one that suits your hair. If you have straight, fine hair, a lighter one is probably better, whereas dry, curly hair need a heavier one?? The quantity will depend on your hair - you won't nessecarily need as much as the video. If you put the oil in a jar or a bowl, and work it into your hair by hand, and then squeeze it out, it will be much less wasteful, not to mention less messy. :)

I don't know if what I ended up doing qualified as "Champi" but it was definitely the most oil I'd ever put into my hair.
I was hesitant about putting it on my scalp, but at the last minute I decided to go for it and I'm glad I did. I used about a cup of melted coconut oil. I applied it with a squirt bottle over the bathroom sink, with an old towel on the floor to catch any drips. I was actually astounded at how much oil my hair soaked up.
After saturating my hair I piled it on top of my head and then wrapped my hair in a couple of layers of plastic wrap. I then wrapped a long sleeved t-shirt around my head "plopping" style.
I covered my pillow with another towel and went to sleep. When I got up I took the tshirt and plastic off my head and put my hair up with an old scrunchie and went about my housecleaning. I'd say the oil was on my head for a total of about 15 hours. Just before my shower I took about 3 palmfuls of conditioner and worked it into my scalp and hair and left that on for about 15 minutes
The conditioner and oil rinsed out with no trouble and my hair is shiny and soft as silk. I didn't notice alot of shedding. I'd say maybe the usual 20ish hairs that I lose on wash day. Just make sure to have something non-slip on the shower floor as the oil does make it slippery!
I will definitely be adding this to my routine. I'm not sure how often though.
If you intend to continue with this treatment how often will you do it?

Yes, it can soak up quite a bit. :) Good idea with the conditioner, I might try do do that next time. Do you wet the hair with water first, or do you just put the conditioner directly on the oiled hair?
I will probably continue this if it keeps working. It says every 4 weeks, some say every 2 weeks. I think every 3 weeks if fine. :P

Clarkie
May 25th, 2015, 06:38 AM
DancingQueen I just put the conditioner right on top of the oil and worked it through my hair. I think someone mentioned upthread that this helps to rinse the oil out. It worked great for me :)

Taenarian
May 25th, 2015, 07:19 AM
I wonder how my hair would fare with this vs. SMT.

cathair
May 25th, 2015, 08:10 AM
It's really interesting hearing how other people get on with this and different ways it's being tried.

I don't get on nearly as well with other oils as I do with coconut. Doesn't make my hair feel as good with other oils and sometimes it looks like I've shed more, but I think it's just because other oils feel 'stickier' when they are combed through. I'm not convinced they absorb as well either.

Interesting to make the comparison between SMT and this. My hair is not fond of SMT. It turns into a fizz ball, but loves this :)

mssummerrose
May 25th, 2015, 10:27 AM
My hair doesn't do much with an SMT.
My hair has become afraid of olive oil, as it has not gotten washed out well in the past. I think I will go with coconut. DancingQueen, you make a good point about a light oil with my fine hair. :) If this works well, I would want to stop by an Indian store to see what hair goodies I could find.