PDA

View Full Version : Root Volume?

LeMimi13
May 21st, 2015, 04:52 AM
How fo you get volume in your roots?
I get beautiful olume with jusy a rough blowdry, but I want to airdry more often to prevent damage..
My hair ends have lots of volume, and lots of volume to the sides, but the roots seem a bit flatter if I jusy airfry..

LillithTheFirst
May 21st, 2015, 05:08 AM
LUSH's Big Shampoo works well for me for volume at the roots. It uses sea salt and seaweed. :)

Nesoi
May 21st, 2015, 05:13 AM
Have you tried root clipping? I have had some success by very loosely twisting my damp roots and pushing them up slightly, then using mini claw clips to get some volume at the roots while airdrying.

elea
May 21st, 2015, 06:32 AM
Bun right on top of the head when sleeping lifts the hair at root (even better if damp).
A little dry shampoo on roots helps it stay longer.
Neither need heat.
Hope you try and it works for you.

Nique1202
May 21st, 2015, 07:12 AM
I fake root volume by not parting my hair. In the shower it smooths itself all pretty much straight back, and that's how I let it dry. Also it's not for everyone but having a full fringe/bangs (not side-swept, but styles that cover all your forehead) fakes root volume well, too.

lapushka
May 21st, 2015, 07:37 AM
Yes, air drying in clipped roots. Blowdrying head-down. And dry shampoo might help as well, though I wouldn't recommend it on freshly washed hair (gunk).

DweamGoiL
May 21st, 2015, 08:31 AM
Clipped roots while drying and sleeping with a bun right on top of my head helps with everyday root volume for me, too. My hair is fine so for me, I really need to concentrate on methods and products that don't weigh my hair down.

ChloeDharma
May 21st, 2015, 09:12 AM
This isn't a styling solution but henna in general gives volume but when I recently tried the Nupur Henna it was just WOW! My hair had so much more volume and the curl was brought back. I have also found fenugreek masks help a lot.

How do people do this clipped roots thing? That sounds quite interesing.

cathair
May 21st, 2015, 09:25 AM
Root clipping is something they talk about in the curly girl book. I don't know if I am allowed to post a photo from the book?

Think this video is showing the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JEGGR2uZs I suspect people have their own methods though :)

If I part my hair on one side and let it dry, then part it on the other when it has dried that gives quite a lot of volume.

Or I dry it upside down under the fan heater in the bathroom (it's only tepid), or the ceiling fan has the same effect. But that might not be practical if your hair doesn't dry as fast as mine.

ExpectoPatronum
May 21st, 2015, 09:44 AM
Root clipping is good.

I get volume by flipping my parts as it air dries. Basically, I have my hair flipped to one side for a while, then I flip it to the other side. Repeat til dry.

ChloeDharma
May 21st, 2015, 10:43 AM
Root clipping is something they talk about in the curly girl book. I don't know if I am allowed to post a photo from the book?

Think this video is showing the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JEGGR2uZs I suspect people have their own methods though :)

If I part my hair on one side and let it dry, then part it on the other when it has dried that gives quite a lot of volume.

Or I dry it upside down under the fan heater in the bathroom (it's only tepid), or the ceiling fan has the same effect. But that might not be practical if your hair doesn't dry as fast as mine.

Thanks for that, I'm not entirely sure how well that would work for me but it does give some food for thought and maybe I could adapt it in some way if I get experimental with it.