PDA

View Full Version : Where to donate hair?

DeadlyUnicorn
May 20th, 2015, 06:45 PM
I'm asking for my friend. He wants to grow his hair and donate it but he's heard bad things about locks of love. He asked me where he should donate it instead, but I'm honestly not sure because I'm not interested in donating my hair currently.. So I thought asking here would be the best way to find some good places. :) I didn't really find many results when I searched. I'm not to good at using the search though, so sorry if there's some official thread for this somewhere(if there is, link me please?). Thanks :o

Amapola
May 20th, 2015, 09:19 PM
I don't know. From what I've read, places that take in donated hair throw out over 50%. Personally, I'm not interested in cutting off my hair so someone else can pitch it in the trash. There are some pretty strict limits to what they can use. Best would be to research those, and find out in advance if they are merely going to trash it because there are a few grey hairs or whatever.

And if they are merely going to pitch it in the trash, (my opinion of course), not much point. :shrug:

DeadlyUnicorn
May 20th, 2015, 09:41 PM
I don't know. From what I've read, places that take in donated hair throw out over 50%. Personally, I'm not interested in cutting off my hair so someone else can pitch it in the trash. There are some pretty strict limits to what they can use. Best would be to research those, and find out in advance if they are merely going to trash it because there are a few grey hairs or whatever.

And if they are merely going to pitch it in the trash, (my opinion of course), not much point. :shrug:

Yeah.. I wish it would go to a good place if you donate it but.. It almost seems that you're better off selling it.... :( He's a few years older than me, so I doubt he has enough greys that they would throw it out (Even at 19 I have at least 1 I've found, so if they throw it out over a FEW greys, they're out of their minds). I was just hoping maybe some members have donated their hair to a certain place, and could give some recommendations. Thanks for responding though, what you said is totally right. :)

Larki
May 20th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Pantene Beautiful Lengths. They have a minimum donation length of 8 inches, can't be dyed, bleached or chemically treated and less than 5% grey.

http://pantene.com/en-us/brandexperience/prepare-your-hair

The reason some of the hair gets thrown away is because people don't pay attention to the requirements the organizations have - which is stupid because they all make those requirements very clear. It's the fault of the donatee if the hair gets thrown away.

neko_kawaii
May 20th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I've heard you can donate to the prop departments of large theater and opera companies. I donated many years ago to an organization that claimed to take all hair (dyed, gray, etc) but I can't remember what they were called.

elea
May 21st, 2015, 05:42 AM
Maybe look into wigs for cancer patients. The majorities of these wigs are made from hair that is being donated.
Sites depends on your friend's country so a search will help more than a link I know which is in France and a fair few years old.
It is always worth asking what kind of hair they require: length, wealth, colour etc...
Of course, there is more than cancer patients that do need wigs (that will not be sold but donated like the hair).
Best might be to contact nearest hospital and ask.

Nesoi
May 21st, 2015, 05:45 AM
I donated mine to a local salon which makes hairpieces for sufferers of Trich. Maybe google and see if there is one in his area?

DweamGoiL
May 21st, 2015, 08:49 AM
I say sell the hair, donate the proceeds to your favorite organization. No one turns away cash!

Larki
May 23rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
You can also donate your hair to clean up oil spills in the ocean, by the way! It's not just to make wigs for people.

Seeshami
May 24th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Ditto to Sell it and donate the money. It's a better way to support a cause.