PDA

View Full Version : Slow growing hair

sunnylove
May 20th, 2015, 05:23 AM
I've been trying to grow my hair out forever and am having a hard time. Short background: it's bleached, fine and wavy. I last had highlights done in July 2014, so I am easily able to measure hair growth from my roots. I've stopped bleaching all together since I found this site. I was my hair in spring water, deep condition weekly, and rarely use heat. I keep having to cut it because the bleached ends are damaged- which is fine, I expected this. But I'm kind of discouraged because I measured my growth this morning and it's only about 4 inches. Shouldn't I have 5 inches by now? It's been 10 months since my last highlight.

I have been checked for hypothyroid so the slow growth isn't related to that. In my early 20s I was able to grow my hair quickly with no problems (even with bleached ends). I'm 26 now. Any advice is appreciated!

Nique1202
May 20th, 2015, 06:29 AM
A half inch every month is just the average. For everyone that grows more than that, there's someone that grows less. You're not that much slower than average, either, so at least there's that.

You say you're 26? Most people go through a kind of second puberty/hormonal change in their mid-20s and the body's processes all slow down a bit. Some people's hair is unaffected, some people have a big shed, and some people start growing slower than they used to. If that's what's causing it, then there's not much you can do. There are some things, like the inversion method and caffeine rinses and some vitamin supplements or herbal rinses, that some people feel have made a difference for them, but there's not usually any double-blind scientific study behind this stuff, and results could be as simple as a placebo effect or seeing what you want to see. Nothing will work for everyone.

If you're eating a balanced diet and you're not deficient in anything, if you get some kind of regular exercise, then it's possible this is just your new growth rate. There's nothing wrong with that. It means you'll take longer to get to your goals, but you'll still get there with time and patience.

Arctic
May 20th, 2015, 06:54 AM
For those who's countries use metric system, they say hair grows an avarage or 1 cm per month. So, ironically, experts say metric folks grow slower than those using inches :D Humor aside, 4 inches is about 10 cm which would correlate with 1 cm per month.

My hair grows at this speed too, it's really is quite avarage and nothing to worry about.

divinedobbie
May 20th, 2015, 07:04 AM
For those who's countries use metric system, they say hair grows an avarage or 1 cm per month. So, ironically, experts say metric folks grow slower than those using inches :D Humor aside, 4 inches is about 10 cm which would correlate with 1 cm per month.

My hair grows at this speed too, it's really is quite avarage and nothing to worry about.

My hair also grows at this speed, it's never grown quite as fast as 0.5"/month.

Buddug
May 20th, 2015, 07:10 AM
I also think it's normal if hair grows this fast. However, if you want it to grow faster, maybe you could experiment with peppermint EO? You can read more about that here: http://www.hairyscalp.com/how-to-use-peppermint-oil-for-hair-growth.html

Madora
May 20th, 2015, 09:00 AM
To encourage hair growth, you might want to try gentle scalp massage (using finger pads only). If you are able, massage your scalp in the upside down position. Be sure to detangle your hair before and after each massage session.

Illryeth
May 20th, 2015, 10:46 AM
My hair grows at maybe 1cm in a month too!

spidermom
May 20th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I've noticed that my hair grows fastest in summer and fall, slowest in winter, and somewhere in-between during the spring. You might enjoy faster growth in the coming months.

endlessly
May 20th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Unless you notice your hair has completely stopped growing, there's nothing to worry about. Some are blessed to have hair that grows very quickly, but 1/2 an inch every month is considered normal. Your diet, lifestyle, and genetics all can play a factor in how your hair grows, too, so make sure you're taking care of yourself, eating nutritional food, and drinking plenty of water. I've also heard from others that scalp massages help to stimulate growth, so you could definitely give that a try.

spidermom
May 20th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Keep in mind also that 1/2 inch per month is an average. I average 2/3 inches per month, but that includes over the winter when I grow maybe 1/4 inch per month and over the summer and fall when I grow nearly an inch per month. Keep track over a year, then divide by 12, and you will very likely fall within the range of average for each month.

Pat Wright
May 20th, 2015, 01:33 PM
To encourage hair growth, you might want to try gentle scalp massage (using finger pads only). If you are able, massage your scalp in the upside down position. Be sure to detangle your hair before and after each massage session.

I need to keep reminding myself to do this. I always forget...:oops:

sunnylove
May 20th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks everyone! I just get frustrated because I chopped my hair off exactly a year ago and it's EXACTLY the same length still (obviously from cutting off damage). It's like that whole year was pointless with zero progress. Obviously I won't be having long hair anytime soon as I still have most of the length of my hair bleached. Glad to know my growth is normal though.

Arctic
May 20th, 2015, 02:04 PM
If you are cutting off damage, and your goal is to have damage-free hair - then you are making progress!

If you haven't yet seen Nightshade's article about growing out damaged hair (while slowly gaining length), do have a read, it might be helpful and encouraging.

Nightshade
May 20th, 2015, 03:16 PM
If you are cutting off damage, and your goal is to have damage-free hair - then you are making progress!

If you haven't yet seen Nightshade's article about growing out damaged hair (while slowly gaining length), do have a read, it might be helpful and encouraging.

Linky to it in my siggy so you don't have to hunt for it :)

sunnylove
May 20th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks so much :)

LillithTheFirst
May 20th, 2015, 06:36 PM
This is completely normal, there is nothing wrong with you health-wise. Just continue to be kind to your hair. Wash it less, be gentle with your damaged ends and trim them regularly till the bleached hair is all gone, it may mean you're maintaining the same length for a while. To encourage the hair to grow faster you can do dairy scalp massages, upside-down with rosemary oil or peppermint oil. I also comb my hair with wooden combs in different directions to massage the scalp.
Just leave it be really, and it'll do its thing.

3dgfan
May 21st, 2015, 01:45 AM
I'm growing out dyed hair since the end of August and I have 9 cm of roots. So I guess it's completely normal)

Arctic
May 21st, 2015, 02:48 AM
I'm growing out dyed hair since the end of August and I have 9 cm of roots. So I guess it's completely normal)

Yes, sounds like avarage :) Congrats on almost 10 cm of dye-free hair!

Marika
May 21st, 2015, 04:45 AM
When I bleached my hair, I couldn't get past APL. I felt like I had slow growing hair (even though I had to do roots all the time:rolleyes:) but the ends were just breaking off. Once I stopped the bleaching and trimmed off the most of the damage, it grew to TBL. My hair also grows the average 1 cm a month which is less than 0.5 inch (a metric person here :D).

3dgfan
May 22nd, 2015, 08:57 AM
Yes, sounds like avarage :) Congrats on almost 10 cm of dye-free hair!

Thank you! That means a lot to me because at the beginning of my hair journey I would measure my roots almost every day :)

vpatt
June 2nd, 2015, 07:45 PM
I feel like mine is growing so slowly.....but I recognize that I am very impatient. I am eating healthier than ever before and my hair feels very healthy. I think when I reach APL I will not think about growth rate so much....at least I hope I won't.
:rolleyes: