PDA

View Full Version : Need routine recommendations

Jenw777
May 19th, 2015, 06:15 PM
I've been here in and off for years and my hair looks 100% better than when I started. last November I chopped the majority of the damage off and went back to about waist from nearly classic. I also quit doing anything special around then. My current routine is non existent, I co wash when I feel like it, usually once a week unless I s greasy, and lightly oil. Sometimes I use panacea. I Switch conditioners pretty often.

This is is my hair when I started: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/kitkatsmom/hair7-6-10.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/kitkatsmom/media/hair7-6-10.jpg.html)

and now: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/kitkatsmom/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/4289E99E-9E30-4ECB-8D46-E857EFE02E2B.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/kitkatsmom/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/4289E99E-9E30-4ECB-8D46-E857EFE02E2B.jpg.html)

can an someone give me an idea of a routine to adapt to? Obviously I started henna-ing again.

dancingbarefoot
May 19th, 2015, 06:19 PM
My current routine is non existent, I co wash when I feel like it, usually once a week unless I s greasy, and lightly oil. Sometimes I use panacea. I Switch conditioners pretty often.

Is that not a routine? If it's working, there's no real reason to change. If it's not, may I suggest that you change only one thing at a time?

rhosyn_du
May 19th, 2015, 06:20 PM
What are you hoping to accomplish with a new routine? FWIW, I don't think there's anything wrong with your current routine, even if it's inconsistent. Your hair certainly looks lovely.

Jenw777
May 19th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I guess I don't feel that it's a routine, more benign neglect. Everyone else is mixing magic potions in their labs and I'm here like, oops! I just don't know to do with it.

arr
May 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Your hair looks really beautiful, why change anything? I recently tried a change in my routine because I felt I should after reading some information, but my hair hated it and I ended up going back to what I was doing in the first place. Why mess with what isn't broken?

jeanniet
May 19th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Your hair looks great! If benign neglect is working for you, why change it? Clearly you don't need any special potions for your hair to be in great condition. :D

Jenw777
May 19th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Should I be using cones? A certain oil? I'll be honest, my first day on the site, wayyyy back when, GRU told me I had wavy hair and needed to use conditioner, or something along those lines, and that's what I've done. I'd like to do more deep treatments, but since I only wash weekly, should I do weekly DTs or monthly? I guess I forgot everything I knew.n

rhosyn_du
May 19th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Different heads of hair respond well to different things. As far as cones go, are you using them now? If so, you can experiment with cutting them out for a while, or if you're not using them, you can try them. There really isn't one set of thing that everyone should do, so it comes down to experimentation. I definitely agree with dancingbarefoot about trying only one new thing at a time, though. Since you're interested in trying deep treatments, maybe add one to your routine for a while and see how that goes? When I was washing weekly, I did DTs monthly, but frequency is another thing you have to experiment with and see how it works for you.

Doreen
May 19th, 2015, 06:41 PM
I can understand you wanting to switch things up a bit. If you want to experiment with different products just to see if you can find something different that works for you I don't think it'd hurt -- you could come across something that's even better than your current. I would identify specifically what you would like to improve upon about your hair and then search the forum for that, although in my opinion it looks lovely and you have a beautiful wave pattern!

Nadine <3
May 19th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Looks like what you're doing is working beautifully! You're hair looks amazing! If you want to do a deep treatment, why not try a SMT? Aloe, Honey, and conditioner left on for an hour or more and rinse. My hair doesn't care for aloe so I use coconut oil instead and it gives me super duper soft hair.

I wouldn't worry about having a "routine" or mixing potions...mine is all over the place. I have a group of products that I like and I use them based on how I feel. Sometimes I use cones, sometimes I use oils, sometimes I do a DT, sometimes I can't be bothered. To me, that IS my routine haha

endlessly
May 19th, 2015, 07:50 PM
I say, continue doing whatever you're doing. If not fussing over your hair is working for you, suddenly changing that routine could definitely set you back and cause damage to your hair, which looks gorgeous, so again, don't mess with a good thing. If you're noticing certain issues with your hair, then that's a different story. If it's feeling greasier or oilier than normal, I'd suggest clarifying every once in a while with either a shampoo or an ACV rinse. If you're needing a bit more moisture, then add in a deep conditioning treatment every now and again. Otherwise, I think your current routine is working well based on your picture.

Chocowalnut
May 19th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Your hair is very pretty! I love the color and waves. Keep doing what you're doing :)

lapushka
May 20th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I think whatever it is you're doing is okay! If you want to CO-wash once a week and do minimal care, well... it seems to be working for you. I'd say keep it up!

-Fern
May 20th, 2015, 06:03 PM
:crush: Another vote that your current routine has produced some pretty stunning locks!

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Those of us mixing stuff up, doing treatments etc do it mainly because we have an issue we want to fix or our hair needs these things to grow and stay in decent condition. Don't be made to feel like you SHOULD be doing these things if what you are doing works well for you, personally I envy your routine and would love to just do so little to my hair and have it look like that.

If you want the pampering ritual, which I admit I do love, then you could add regular scalp massage to your routine. It feels lovely, is good for growth but also is good for you generally and relieves stress.