PDA

View Full Version : Questions for self-trimmers

Betazed
May 19th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that I want to try trimming myself. As I've posted many times, I haven't found a hair dresser that I trust and I have a lot of heat damage that I want to start trimming off. It will get pretty expensive going to a salon every 6 weeks or so for just a quarter inch to be taken off. And I'm concerned they'll take more than the quarter inch I want. I've been reading up on Feye's trimming method and trying to get up the courage to do it myself. However, I have a question about it. The instructions say that hair should be parted down the middle. Do you do this even when you wear your hair in a side part? I'm concerned that once I part my hair in it's usual direction, it will cause the cut to look off. Has anyone with a side part used Feye's method? Do I have to alter it somehow for a side part?Do I have to use a completely different method?

Thank you for reading!
-Nic

Nique1202
May 19th, 2015, 08:35 AM
It might be worth cutting with a part halfway between where your normal part is and the middle. If you part it fully in the middle, then one side will have some much shorter strands on top when you part it the way you usually do. If you part it where your normal parting sits to cut it, then you could get strands that look longer or shorter if they fall to the wrong side one day. Cutting it halfway between those two points will make it less obvious either way.

Lyv
May 19th, 2015, 09:03 AM
When I trim myself I part it down the middle but wear it in a side part, it's the same length on both sides. When I do it I just trim the same amount from the ends little by little I don't just pull it forward and cut all at once, that would probably change the length and hemline

hennalonghair
May 19th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I leave my part where I normally wear it. Gather my hair in the back and slowly slide the scrunches down until I have it close to the bottom. Then I trim off less than I think I need. Once I let my hair go I will trim the sides again properly because having the hair pulled back can throw off the front section a bit. Measure the front of your hair at the front and see if it matches.
When you do this every two or three months you will get better at it and banish hairdressers completely. :cheer: :lol:

Arctic
May 19th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I wear sidepart almost exclusively, but when I trim, I first do a centre part, then part to both sides and see if there are any hairs that I missed. Like Niquel said, if you trim with side part on one side only, the hairs on the side opposite of your part are longer, which might look funny if you hair falls in a wrong way.

I have used many techniques, like Feyes, and imitating how hair dressers do it and many variations, and always have had good results with initally parting in the middle, then changeing a side part and check the hem, and change part to other side and check the hem.

I guess when you trim with center part but wear a side part, technically there is going to be subttle layering on the side opposite of your part. However it's not noticeable, and your hair would still be considered blunt (if that's the hemline you are after). That is also how hair dressers do it, so I think it's the correct method.

elea
May 19th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Parted down the middle, most find it easier to repeat the same mark.
As the size off you desire is just a trim, rather than a re-shape, it is too small to make a difference.
To make sure for yourself, check with your natural/chosen side-parting after a couple of tiny snips.
They scare these videos/methods because they usually show a good inch taken off in one go.
But you you are better off doing a tiny bit at the tine, quarter of cm? Or even with sheers to the length rather than horizontal.

(Need to see with friend if she can come here and show you before and after pictures we took. If that would help. I am sure many already on this forum can show you though.)

Betazed
May 19th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I leave my part where I normally wear it. Gather my hair in the back and slowly slide the scrunches down until I have it close to the bottom. Then I trim off less than I think I need. Once I let my hair go I will trim the sides again properly because having the hair pulled back can throw off the front section a bit. Measure the front of your hair at the front and see if it matches.
When you do this every two or three months you will get better at it and banish hairdressers completely. :cheer: :lol:

Banishing hairdressers is what I am hoping for! After seeing everyone's pics on here and realizing just how many self-trimmers there are, Im beginning to wonder if it's really worth it to spend the money when I only want a minuscule amount taken off (that money will be better spent on expanding my hairtoy collection! :p) I was a bit leary doing it myself since the last time I went at my hair with shears, I ended up with very short, very uneven bangs (I was attempting to trim my straight across, "Betty Paige style" bangs). However, since I no longer have bangs and I'll only be taking off a tiny bit, I think I may just be up to the challenge.

Arctic
May 19th, 2015, 12:04 PM
You know, if your hair is the slightest bit thicker, I warmly recommend sectioning it, like a hairdresser would, but simpler. I forgot to write this in my first post. I get personally much neater, professional looking hemline this way. I have never quite been able to combine this with Feye's, but when I do use Feye's, I usually follow it up with normal sectioning and tidying the hem. In other words, I take the bulk of the length I want to trim with the Feye's method, but then tidy it up by sectioning and working with much smaller sections.

If you think it's too difficult, then do the Feye's methods, it really quite easy, and does give nice results.

lapushka
May 19th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I wear a side part, and used to use Feye's split down the middle. It works out in the end! You can't see anything off by wearing your hair to the side after. It's just a way to make the cut happen in a uniform way - nothing more.

endlessly
May 19th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Since I part my hair in the middle, that's how I tend to cut it in order for it to look even all around. For you, I would assume that since you have a side part, you should cut it that way, otherwise it would look uneven like you mentioned. Don't be scared about cutting it yourself, just remember to take off a little bit at a time in case you do make a mistake. Best of luck!

QMacrocarpa
May 19th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I mostly wear my hair parted to one side or the other (less-often in the middle) and I do Feye's self-trims with a center part. I don't notice any odd hemline issues, but my hair is curly and has a lot of taper, so those may both work in my favor here.

Deborah
May 19th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Mostly I don't part my hair, but when I do, I let it part on the left. I say this because my hair has a strong natural part on the left, so it will part itself if I do not have it secured back. Yet, I part it down the center for cutting, as I read that that is the best way to do it. It always turns out fine and the bottom looks even, whether I wear it parted or not.

I used Feye's method for a long time, but then I bought a generic brand of the Crea Clip, and find it WAY easier to cut my hair now. Mostly I get any available friend who is willing to do it to do the actual cutting for me, as it is so incredibly easy to do, and my hair turns out great. I have loaned the clips (it's actually a set of two clips) to several long haired friends, all of whom found it wonderfully easy to use. One friend borrows it to cut her own and her four little girls' long hair, and loves using it. I'm sure the original Crea Clip works just as well, but I bought mine off of ebay for, if I remember correctly, less than $11.

Wildcat Diva
May 19th, 2015, 07:49 PM
I am not a self trimmer, so my apologies if this response seems out of place, but thought I would mention that I make my barber part my hair on the side for my very simple trims. However I get one inch trimmed off about once a year or less. She tried to part it down the middle and I said no. If I didn't the hair that moves with the part will end up looking shorter as it moves to the other side. She pulls the sides of my hair out to my elbows to trim it, which makes my hemline end up a slight U when it's all moved to the back. She cuts my hair dry, but I need to oil it more next trim because it's too tangly and curly, and she tries to fast comb it which is no bueno.

So yes, side parting for me is important. But since I don't self trim, this might not be helpful.