PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern Europe!

merekivi
May 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM
So, it seems like I already joined this forum more than three years ago, but never got to introduce myself nor became anything near active in here. :oops:

I guess it's time to finally change that.
So, first of all, I'm a 20-year old university student from Estonia, but actually about to move to Finland in summer.
I've been an active member in a German hair forum for quite some years now, which is one of the reasons why my hair became sort of a hobby for me. I'm constantly trying to improve my hair care routine (trying out several hair soaps and oils right now) and also slowly started collecting hair accessoires that you might be familiar with - hair forks, sticks, flexis... Lately I fell in love with antlers, they are simply beautiful. :crush:

There are actually two reasons why I joined the LHC. First, I often came across it when searching for something particular and always thought that there must be a lot more interesting stuff in here worth to read about. Second, I like the idea of having an international hair community, but also hope to find some people from my area (Northern-Eastern Europe) in here. Especially since I'm moving to Finland, it would be nice to exchange myself with people from there, ask them about where to find natural, silicon-free shampoos, hair soaps and other products that you can't get in just any supermarket.

About my hair:
It's type 2a-b M ii and has a color I myself would call dark blond, but it actually changes depending on the light.
It is currently 88cm long (which would be about 34.5 inches, I think) and my goal for the last years has been to grow it longer than a meter (more than 39 inches) or to even reach classic length.
For many years, I just let my hair grow without cutting it, the only thing I did was capping split ends with not-so-sharp scissors. Fortunately I have learned from that and now try to keep my hair healthy by regular microtrims. I also have layers (including former bangs) that I try to grow out, so that one day I fortunately will have a nice U instead of a V-cut.

That is what my hair looks like when drying after washing with hair soap, uncombed:

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7695/17076988191_d6712e723e.jpg

And I'm again sorry that it has taken me three years for this post. I'm still glad to be here! :)

Arctic
May 18th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Teretulemast and Welcome, to LHC and to Finland! When you have enough posts, check out the Finnish group, where we have been talking about products too. There is possibly also a Finnish summer meet, but it's all uncertain right now.

You have beautiful hair, I love your hemline!

merekivi
May 18th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Kiitos, Arctic! I'm actually a bit confused by this whole system of having enough posts to do certain things, especially since right now I can't even view my own profile. But I hope I will get the hang of it soon. I will be in Tampere/Oulu in summer and I would love to meet you - if you really organize something, it would be nice of you to let me know as well.

I actually didn't know you could use the word "hemline" for hair, haha. :oops: Thank you, I think I can even improve my English here and learn a lot of useful words. :D

- Muuten, "Tere tulemast" kirjoitetaan viroksi erikseen, vaikka ymmärrän, että suomalaiselle se ehkä tuntuu väärältä.

Arctic
May 18th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Oops, my mistake of not checking the correct writing :) Thank you, I will remember it from now on!

The tiered privilege system is to protect the member's privacy, because sites like these sometimes attract people who are interested in long hair for - hmm - questionable reasons. I think after 25 quality posts (meaning thoughtful posts that contribute to the discussions) you get to edit your profile see other member's profiles and if I'm not mistaken, also access the Groups area. These things are explained in the stickies on top of this newbie forum. If I remember correctly you will need even more posts to access the meetings forum.

I'll let you know about the meeting, if it happens. I do hope so, meetings are fun!

Ha ha, yes the hemline is a legit word in hair context too, though I think mostly used at hair forums :D

merekivi
May 18th, 2015, 01:27 PM
No problem, it's not even a real mistake, just a question of orthography. But you're welcome.

I can understand the privilege system, I am used to it as well from other forum boards, but I was just a bit confused that I got to edit my own profile, but couldn't view it myself. I will just try to write some useful and thoughtful posts, then. :D

Yes, meetings are fun. Thinking of it, my first long hair meeting was actually in Helsinki, with another member of the German forum. :)

Mimha
May 18th, 2015, 01:36 PM
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7695/17076988191_d6712e723e.jpg

Oh my God... this picture :bigeyes: ... is sooooo beautiful !....

This color, with that backgrownd... A piece of art !!

:thud:

merekivi
May 18th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Oh, thank you, Mimha. :oops:

But my hair is only shining because of me standing under the light bulb... and the background is due to renovations in our apartment. :oops:

Pinni
May 19th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Welcome to LHC and to Finland :) Your hair is very pretty!

Mimha
May 19th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Oh, thank you, Mimha. :oops:

But my hair is only shining because of me standing under the light bulb... and the background is due to renovations in our apartment. :oops:

Lol. It means you are a totally unconscious artist^^ :lol:
But really : this picture is esthetically amazing !! And your hair shines like some golden ancient artefact !... It's very beautiful.

Olavi
May 19th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the LHC and soon to Finland too! I live in Espoo (thought I will more likely spend my summer in Lohja), and would like to meet if you are visiting here :)

merekivi
May 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Haha, thank you again, Mimha. :)

Kiitti Pinni ja Olavi! :) Olavi, it would be nice to meet! Actually, I'll be living in Pohjoispohjanmaa from autumn on, which is more far away from Espoo than Estonia. But I will be in Helsinki at some point for sure, so I guess we can work something out. :)

lapushka
May 19th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Welcome here! You've got pretty hair, nice color as well. I'd call that a light to mid-tone blonde, personally. Not dark by any means!

DeadlyUnicorn
May 19th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Welcome!! :) I totally agree with Mimha! That is just an outstanding picture!! So gorgeous.

Estonia and Finland are such beautiful countries :o I hope to move to Sweden in the near future, and I'd really like to travel around to the different countries near there :inlove: Although I'm not sure what there is to do in some of those places.. But I will find out! :bluebiggr And I do know Finland has a Christmas park or something which sounds awesome :xmas: :gift:

merekivi
May 20th, 2015, 05:00 AM
lapushka: Thank you! :) But my hair really is rather mid-dark blonde, it depends on the light as well. The picture might not be the best as I'm really standing right under the light bulb. On the other hand, I could show you tons of pictures and in each picture, my hair would have a different tone. I guess I'm a chameleon. :D

I think this picture is the closest to the actual color in natural, but not direct light:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2816/8749572509_38e5e7c471.jpg

The ends are a bit lighter, though.

I guess it also depends on the country. In Germany and Hungary I definitely get called (dark) blonde, but in Estonia or Finland I've even heard people saying that I have "dark" hair and definitely not blonde, as this really light, white-ish blonde is so common over here.

DeadlyUnicorn: Thank you a lot! :o

When you move to Sweden, you have to tell us, so that we can arrange a Baltic-Sea-meeting! :D
There is a ferry going from Stockholm to Tallinn, the old town of Tallinn is worth a visit. And if you have more time, spend your holiday on Saaremaa or on of the other islands, the nature there is simply beautiful. There are actually lots of places to see here. :)

DeadlyUnicorn
May 20th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Haha that could be fun! :) But I think we were going to move to Malmö. That's quite a ways from Stockholm.. Hopefully we will have enough money to do the traveling I want to do :p Thanks for the suggestions of where I should visit! :o

Linguaphilia
May 20th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Hey, welcome to LHC! I just wanted to say that you have wonderful hair AND toys! Is the reindeer comb that I saw in another thread from a German etsy shop? I saw a similar comb once. And I'd like to know where you got the hair stick in the pic above, too *blush*
I just happen to share your tastes when it comes to hair toys :o

merekivi
May 20th, 2015, 03:11 PM
DeadlyUnicorn: Malmö sounds nice, I've spent a couple of weeks in Lund and liked it. :) Only the Swedish they speak there sounds weird to my ears, sort of like French. :D

Linguaphilia: Thank you!
I guess I have to check out your hair toys too, then. And no, the comb is from a Russian etsy shop called WonderfulSun. He currently has one more available: https://www.etsy.com/listing/206860662/wonderful-wooden-haircomb-deer?ref=shop_home_active_8
At some point he had a nice red elk comb, it was sooo beautiful. If you consider getting one yourself, definitely contact the shop owner, he is really nice and then you can make sure you get the right teeth size etc. :)

Can't help you much with the hair stick. That picture is already 1-2 years old and I got the stick for 1-2€, it was really cheap. Can't remember the shop, though. But even if I did, I wouldn't recommend it, as it was cheap for a reason - the quality is far from good. I don't know how well you can see it on the picture, but the topmost layer is sort of peeling of:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7693/17448335599_f7c2fdb2c9.jpg
- If anyone has an idea what to do with those two sticks now, tell me. I don't want to throw them away but they just don't look that nice anymore. :/

DeadlyUnicorn
May 20th, 2015, 08:13 PM
That is strange. Maybe it's because they're close to Denmark, and have Danes living over there, so it affects their accents? My future sister in law told me there are like 9,000 Danes living in Malmö. My fiance is Danish but we're going to go to Sweden, so I thought that might be a plus for him. We were considering Gothenburg though too.. Have you been there before ? The 3 hour ferry to Denmark seems frightening lol

Remi
May 21st, 2015, 12:01 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :) Lots of great threads to read up on and help and info for all kinds of 'hairy' problems! You have lovely hair. A very pretty color.

merekivi
May 21st, 2015, 12:42 AM
DeadlyUnicorn: Yes, for sure the Swedish spoken there is very similar to Danish, that could be why it sounded so weird to my ears. I've never been to Gothenburg and the only time I was in Denmark was on a train on my way from Sweden to Germany (and later the same way back). Denmark probably is a nice place to live, too, but it's sooo expensive.
Congratulations on your engagement! :)

Remi: Thank you! :o

DeadlyUnicorn
May 28th, 2015, 02:04 AM
DeadlyUnicorn: Yes, for sure the Swedish spoken there is very similar to Danish, that could be why it sounded so weird to my ears. I've never been to Gothenburg and the only time I was in Denmark was on a train on my way from Sweden to Germany (and later the same way back). Denmark probably is a nice place to live, too, but it's sooo expensive.
Congratulations on your engagement! :)

Remi: Thank you! :o

Thank you. :o Is Sweden cheaper? His mom told me Norway is DOUBLE what it is to live in Denmark!! I couldn't believe it because I think Denmark is about double where I'm living O_O And sorry for my late reply, I'm moving (Not to Sweden, lol, somewhere else) and haven't been able to get on much :)