PDA

View Full Version : Hair accidents

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 07:21 AM
My mom just trimmed about 1,5 cm off of her hair (long bob, shoulder length) and she used my (our) hair cutting scissors and snipped into her fingers. Ouch!

What are your "hair accidents"?

radiofreejenn
May 18th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Does accident include burning off a sizable spot on my front hairline when I was 17? Because if so, that was my worst...

DreamSheep
May 18th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Eek!

All I can think of right now is when I was little I always managed to shock myself with the hairdrier

Entangled
May 18th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Ooh! When my skin was really dry, I "paper cut" my fingertips while fingercombing.

missrandie
May 18th, 2015, 08:29 AM
I managed to slice and blister my fingers while grooming out my horse's tail once.

Mimha
May 18th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Ooh! When my skin was really dry, I "paper cut" my fingertips while fingercombing.
:bigeyes: ... you mean you cut yourself with your hair ?? Sounds like tough fingercombing !... :D

My worst memory is the time when my hair got caught in the blow-drier, many many years ago (I used to blow-dry in the winter). Hopefully it got almost immediately blocked and I could get my hair out without too much trouble. I don't remember how much damages I had, though, but I remember I was so pleased not to have my hair irremediably destroyed, burned or pulled out ! shudder:

I became very circumspect with blow-driers ever since !...

*ReiKa*
May 18th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Last winter my hair got badly caught on my coat's zip several times. Believe me sometimes it was really bad and thought my ends were going to get chopped but luckily I managed to free them without damage.

Olavi
May 18th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Having atopic skin (i.e. always very dry) this is very common to me :D Most of the times they are really minor cuts, and will heal in day or two, but sometimes they are so deep that they even bleed a little.

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 11:04 AM
My worst memory is the time when my hair got caught in the blow-drier, many many years ago (I used to blow-dry in the winter). Hopefully it got almost immediately blocked and I could get my hair out without too much trouble. I don't remember how much damages I had, though, but I remember I was so pleased not to have my hair irremediably destroyed, burned or pulled out ! shudder:

I became very circumspect with blow-driers ever since !...

My blow dryer has this fine filigree netting on the back, and this is years ago... suddenly I felt a tug, a few hairs had managed to get in through there and round the machine. Since then I'm careful not to let the blow dryer get into my hair - my mom always keeps it outside the mass of hair.

KittyBird
May 18th, 2015, 11:24 AM
My blow dryer has this fine filigree netting on the back, and this is years ago... suddenly I felt a tug, a few hairs had managed to get in through there and round the machine. Since then I'm careful not to let the blow dryer get into my hair - my mom always keeps it outside the mass of hair.
This happened to me a year ago. Thankfully only a few strands got caught, but I had to rip them out of the drier and then trim off the damage. It felt really awful, and I'm super careful with my blow dryer nowadays shudder:

LeMimi13
May 18th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Ive mentioned someqhere else that one time, a horse ripped out and ate a piece of my hair

arr
May 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM
When i was a teenager i was making cookies using the standing mixer. I had my hair down and it was waist length at the time. I leaned over the bowl and my hair got caught in the mixer and started winding around and around until my head was up against the machine and i managed to turn it off. It took quite a while to unravel it and remove all the cookie dough and i lost quite a bit of hair during the process (some from my scalp) but i didnt have to cut it. Needless to say there were no cookies that night and i learned my lesson to always wear my hair up in the kitchen.

Flowerness
May 18th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I've got a couple... while s&d'ing I accidentally cut off a small chunk of hair instead of just the ONE hair with a split. Uh.. oops! No more s&d while tired! I've also had my hair get caught in fans- multiple times- and ripped out as a child. Big ouch!

Kina
May 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM
My mom just trimmed about 1,5 cm off of her hair (long bob, shoulder length) and she used my (our) hair cutting scissors and snipped into her fingers. Ouch!

What are your "hair accidents"?

I have a fine network of scars in the webbing part where the fingers meet the hand on the left hand in between the index and middle finger from when I was cutting (other people's) hair regularly.

Otherwise:

* caught in hairdryer
* caught in power drill
* caught on fire
* and most recently, caught in the jets of my jacuzzi tub while doing a mermaid rinse to get cassia off

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 02:20 PM
OMG you guys, some of these accidents sound down right painful and terrible!

Freija
May 18th, 2015, 02:52 PM
My most recent was very carefully fingercombing my damp hair, then very slowly and gently combing it out... then meticulously sectioning it... then fitting the concentrator nozzle onto my hairdryer and turning it to the lowest speed and the totally cold setting, so as to absolutely minimise damage... aaand then dropping a small chunk of hair straight through the vents at the back as I turned to talk to my boyfriend who had just walked into the room. It killed the hair and it hurt a lot, and I felt like a complete fool.

two_wheels
May 18th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I too have caught hair in the back of the hairdryer.... ugh!!

But ultimate hair accident has to be henna. I tried it, left it on for 3h, and literally nothing happened. (was Lush henna.) Then years later I tried again, same brand etc, thought I'd leave it overnight because otherwise nothing would happen again. Was expecting a coppery colour by morning. Woke to flaming burgundy. shudder: shudder: shudder:

Doreen
May 18th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I was slicing foamboard with an Xacto blade and a bit of hair from the front fell down onto it just as I was getting a good momentum cutting. Lost about a foot of hair off that piece; luckily it was only about 30-50 strands. Yikes. Had to "layer" it even further so it would blend in. Overall though not a terrible loss.

Mammasaurusrex
May 18th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Well, I was under the impression that wella hair toner was something that just rinsed out of my hair sort of like a temporary hair dye...little did I know that it was a chemical! It destroyed my hair worst than bleach did. My hair just would come out in clumps after I used it three days in a row!! I would just slightly touch my hair and it would come out at the scalp. I shaved my head once I realized what was happening. I was so upset that I never took any pictures and I really wish I would have.

Obsidian
May 18th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I had gas fumes blow up in my face once, burned most the hair off one side of my head. I was uninjured though.

Mammasaurusrex
May 18th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I had gas fumes blow up in my face once, burned most the hair off one side of my head. I was uninjured though.

Thats scary! I am glad you are ok. The other day my husband was grilling and he burned half his eye brow and a chunk office beard off lol

Auracle
May 18th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Had a bad dye job once. What was supposed to be a dark warm brown ended up highlighter florescent orange, three days before my cousin's wedding. Luckily a local salon got me in later the same day for a color correction. Never used that brand of box dye again.

Five of Five
May 18th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I was wearing my hair down, and unbeknownst to me, some of it had tangled itself right around the strap of my handbag. As I sat down, I dropped the handbag to the floor, and it took a whole chunk of hair with it! shudder:

Ever since then I am much more wary about wearing my hair down.

endlessly
May 18th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I've snipped myself a few times - good thing for calluses from sewing, so no bloodshed on my end. Back when I used hot rollers, I burnt myself many, many times.

Marilynn
May 18th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Ooh let me think..
As a child / teenager:
- bit of hair on fire because of hob
- hair caught in a hairdryer
- bit of chewing gum stuck in hair
- hair dye not turning out the way I'd hoped

As an adult:
- toner turning hair 50 shades of grey
- some mean prankster behind me on a bus cut off a big chunk of my hair once when I was taking a nap

browneyedsusan
May 18th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Earlier this year, I accidentally dipped the end of my ponytail into wood varnish.
That was a little unsettling. (It came out completely, with lots of help from TLHC!)

Frankenstein
May 18th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Using the Instyler straightener, I burned my forehead and ears many a time... Once I managed to burn both sides of my forehead very badly and was on my way to looking like Freddy Krueger. Thankfully my hair mostly covered it but god was it painful.

Rainn
May 18th, 2015, 11:03 PM
When I was little I tried to comb my fringe like my mum did hers. Ended up with my entire fringe wrapped around the comb and had to have it cut out. Mum had to cut my fringe off at the hair line. Lesson learnt, no more fringes...

Betazed
May 18th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Using the Instyler straightener, I burned my forehead and ears many a time... Once I managed to burn both sides of my forehead very badly and was on my way to looking like Freddy Krueger. Thankfully my hair mostly covered it but god was it painful.

I have many burn scars on my neck from the InStyler. I had it for years and loved it very much. One of the good things about going heat-free is saving myself from burns, which were inevitable. Extreme crumsiness + heat styling tools is never a good combo.

3dgfan
May 19th, 2015, 03:19 AM
When I was a kid I decided I wanted a haircut. So I ended up with half of my hair being approximately 1 inch long and rest at about chin length. So my mom had to cut the rest as well :)

Frankenstein
May 19th, 2015, 10:24 PM
I have many burn scars on my neck from the InStyler. I had it for years and loved it very much. One of the good things about going heat-free is saving myself from burns, which were inevitable. Extreme crumsiness + heat styling tools is never a good combo.

Oh yes, I forgot about the neck burns. I suffered a few of those as well. I liked the InStyler too but it really is a hazardous tool with that hot barrel as exposed as it is. I quit using it because of that plus the loud racket it makes. Nowadays when I want to flat iron I just stick to the CHI, which is much less burn-prone.. but not completely. :uhh: