PDA

View Full Version : The "take it out on my hair" club!

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 04:42 AM
If you've ever cut in anger or frustration, welcome. Or for whatever reason you may have to take it out on your hair. Join us! And tell us your story.

I used to cut my hair when spring "itched" every year. No question. I just did, no rhyme or reason. It just happened every single time, whether it be a fully cut style or a tiny trim. Gladly, that's over, been over for a few years now. But it still isn't easy, I can tell you that!

LeMimi13
May 18th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Yes!
I've been getting the urge to do the same and cut my bangs back, jist slightly more to the side. I need to focus on how I hated tjem before!!! And i totally went for a trim on the 7th out of feeling down and ugly. But it was a good trim, she cut very little. I feel like I made a mistake, since I was on the no trimming 2015 challenhe..

Katleen
May 18th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Oh, I have done the same, several times. I have regretted it most of the time though, and mostly I like the idea of going to the hairdresser and have someone babying my hair. so now whenever I get the urge, I either try a new updo that I could never do, or I go the the salon for a deepconditioning treatment and a blowout.

Nique1202
May 18th, 2015, 07:04 AM
When I used to get bored or frustrated I either had to dye my hair some different colour or I had to chop it. Just, something needed to change. It was an easy way to vent off whatever I was feeling, but it also kept setting me back from how I wanted my hair to be. I'm glad I've found better ways to deal with boredom than cutting my hair.

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I still got that itch, though. I was thinking recently, even to right before I started this thread, why am I thinking of cute shorter cuts so much lately? Myeah, it's spring again. :lol:

pili
May 18th, 2015, 07:40 AM
I have had tree huge chops in my life: pre-high school (frustration), post-collage (frustration/attempt to "fit into corporate image") and tree years ago. All of them have been from waist to pixie. The last one one was not just anger, but grief at where my life was at that moment (lost a business+move). When I did it DH was cool with it and said it looked good (he hated it) to support me. Now I just wish he wasn't such an awesome hubby and would have fought me a little. :shrug:

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 07:44 AM
When I did it DH was cool with it and said it looked good (he hated it) to support me. Now I just wish he wasn't such an awesome hubby and would have fought me a little. :shrug:

Yeah, but he maybe thought you can't stick it back on so why create an issue? That's what makes him awesome, I bet. ;)

Dixie_Amazon
May 18th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Spring and fall for me. I think the fall one is back-to-school syndrome. I still crave a new hairstyle, clothes and office supplies in late summer/early fall.

missrandie
May 18th, 2015, 08:27 AM
I have done it. My first chop like that was from MBL to a long bob after I broke up with my BF and went to college (he told me he would break up with me if I went, so I went and broke up with HIM.) I felt the itch to change, but shouldn't have taken it out on my hair. However, it took some of my appeal to him away once he saw me with shorter hair, so that was a good thing.

The next was all my pixie experimentation during grad school. The day after my wedding, I cut off my hair from BSL to pixie, and continued getting my hair pixied for the next 2.5 years. Each month I told my stylist to razor it short and rough for texture and would just grin as she cut it shorter and shorter. I suppose I did it because it was the only thing I could really control in my life at the time, so I controlled it with an iron fist. Same went with coloring. Platinum, red, maroon, red, highlights, etc.

Now, I just control its health :)

divinedobbie
May 18th, 2015, 09:15 AM
When my mom still cut our hair, I'd always want to get my hair cut whenever my mom cut my brother's. I guess it was just "exciting" back then and a special thing to do. After my mom started making us get professional cuts (she didn't want to accidentally cut moody teenagers hair wrongly) , I stopped cutting my hair.

After that I only started changing up my hair because my then-boyfriend would always be telling me "I'd look good if I only _____ (cut/went darker/straightened)". I stopped trying to please him after about a year but the damage was done.

Since then I've never really been tempted to cut because I want to. If I do get the itch to trim, it's because my hair's looking worn from old damage and it stresses me out and makes me sad if I have to cut. I do like trimming, it makes me happy to have fresh ends, but not when I'm not at a length/health I'm happy with.

I do get itches frequently to dye though, like when summer's coming, a break up happens, new school/job, I move to a new city etc <---- henna happened. so many regrets there.

battles
May 18th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I belong here. :p

I'm actually diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and during my hypomanic phases I get really inspired to DO THINGS and CHANGE THINGS. It usually ends up getting taken out on my hair. All it takes is seeing a cute short cut and I'm researching and have made an appointment.. I've cut back to chin length three times since I joined LHC. I used henna once and decided I hated it after two months. I've cut in bangs more times than I can count, and I never maintain them.

This is a constant battle. I truly want long hair, but sometimes chopping it seems like the best idea at the moment. I always regret it after.

Nadine <3
May 18th, 2015, 09:31 AM
I don't usually respond to emotional situations by wanting to cut my hair, it's usually spring that does it for me. For whatever reason warmer weather just screams "WOOO GET A CUTE SHOULDER LENGTH CUT!"

The last time I chopped my hair though, it was because my boyfriend said "I like your hair, you should never cut it" The next day he came home and it was all gone. I regretted that as soon as I did it and found LHC while googling ways to get it to grow out faster. I guess I'm also bull headed and if someone tells me I can't our shouldn't do something, I will do it just to prove that I can do it, even if that's not what I want. lol

*ReiKa*
May 18th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Luckily when I feel the urge to do something with my hair I never think about cutting it.
The last time I really did that I cut my BSL hair to a very layered chin lenght haircut and strongly regretted it, so I learned the lesson and never cut my hair suddenly and out of an "urge".
Now if I get some urges they're about dyeing my hair. For example lately I keep thinking about wanting a lighter color but I just care too much about my hair's health to do something potentially damaging.

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 11:23 AM
I don't usually respond to emotional situations by wanting to cut my hair, it's usually spring that does it for me. For whatever reason warmer weather just screams "WOOO GET A CUTE SHOULDER LENGTH CUT!"

The last time I chopped my hair though, it was because my boyfriend said "I like your hair, you should never cut it" The next day he came home and it was all gone. I regretted that as soon as I did it and found LHC while googling ways to get it to grow out faster. I guess I'm also bull headed and if someone tells me I can't our shouldn't do something, I will do it just to prove that I can do it, even if that's not what I want. lol

I definitely get that stubbornness trait, Nadine! When I was younger I could be acting on impulse like that as well, particularly when someone said I couldn't do something!

lapushka
May 18th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I'm actually diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and during my hypomanic phases I get really inspired to DO THINGS and CHANGE THINGS. It usually ends up getting taken out on my hair. All it takes is seeing a cute short cut and I'm researching and have made an appointment.. I've cut back to chin length three times since I joined LHC. I used henna once and decided I hated it after two months. I've cut in bangs more times than I can count, and I never maintain them.

This is a constant battle. I truly want long hair, but sometimes chopping it seems like the best idea at the moment. I always regret it after.

I'm not bipolar, and went to chin during my stay here twice, due to experimenting with dyes and bleach and henna. It can be done, not that I want to minimize your issue with bipolar - the struggle is real (huh, "battles", awesome name).

battles
May 18th, 2015, 11:31 AM
I'm not bipolar, and went to chin during my stay here twice, due to experimenting with dyes and bleach and henna. It can be done, not that I want to minimize your issue with bipolar - the struggle is real (huh, "battles", awesome name).

I think everyone gets into the experimental phase when they sign up here. Everything looks so intriguing and OOH you can boost hair growth by doing that and OOH henna makes your hair stronger?! :p I didn't take that as a rude comment, no worries. :flower: Everyone does have their struggles!

pastina
May 18th, 2015, 11:31 AM
i switch up my color when i need a change. i just did, actually. last week was awful, so now my hair is a new color.

Marika
May 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I lost 120 lbs in 1.5 years -> new clothes, new hair, new everything. I felt beautiful and confident but I also dated a lot of guys back then and obviously part of me wanted to look good in their eyes too. And I've always felt prettier with my hair down (now I feel different because I cut bangs a few months ago). So, I cut my TBL+ hair to shoulder length in June 2012. Fast forward three years and I've gained a lot of weight back, don't date anyone and my hair is back to hip length :cool:

I think it's quite common to take it out on your hair if you lose a lot of weight or have other big changes in your life like divorce etc. Out with the old, in with the new.

pili
May 19th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Yeah, but he maybe thought you can't stick it back on so why create an issue? That's what makes him awesome, I bet. ;)

I asked him before I chopped it off! Sometimes he's just a bit too awesome.

lapushka
May 19th, 2015, 08:55 AM
I asked him before I chopped it off! Sometimes he's just a bit too awesome.

:lol: Oh, woops. :)

noteve
May 19th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I belong here. :p

Hahaha I do the same thing - bipolar II here. Once while I was hypomanic I shaved my hair off 15 minutes after I had the idea. I didn't regret it though because it looked good and my hair was quite damaged before I did it. I think I would have done it anyway had my hair been healthy and then I would probably have regretted it.

Now I'm medicated so my episodes aren't as bad. I still take my feelings out on my hair. When I'm bored with my life and want a change I get an uncontrollable urge to bleach my hair. I gave in recently. I don't regret it (yet).

PalomaSincera
May 19th, 2015, 10:20 AM
This is going to sound crazy. I thought I liked a guy (a friend) and it took us months to say it and decide to get together. After we did, I realized I didn't actually like him. I cut my hair because I knew how much he liked it and I wanted him to break up with me.

I was also mad at myself for making the wrong decision. I somehow felt like changing my hair would help me internally.

AspenSong
May 19th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I am the former Queen of "take it out on my hair"! I spent years taking out frustration, emotional pain, boredom, etc...out on my hair via dye and cuts. There's literally too many instances to list. From the time I cut my hair from TBL to the time I started growing it back out after my Dad passed away (6/7 years), it was a lot of this. My haircut from TBL to shoulder, was cut out of anger and taking it out on my hair. I was getting constantly hounded by a few family members about it, and I finally got so angry that I chopped it off at 2am in the bathroom. *smh* Then, there's just a long line of things like that. Having friend issues, having family problems, boy issues - all would result in a haircut or dye. My then-best friend would put me down, I'd feel horrible about myself and then I'd either get sad and cut my hair because I didn't deserve to have long hair and be beautiful, or I'd get angry and cut it. I guess I thought sometimes I was cutting the feelings out. I had every cut it seems like from chin length to APL+, that is possible and my hair was every color from platinum blonde to black and back again. And I did the same when good things happened - If I was trying to motivate myself, I'd always cut my hair different or dye it. I loved the change in those instances. I felt like looking different, meant a new me. I chased after finding a way that I looked with my hair, that made me feel great inside all the time.
I still have twinges of wanting the change and I have to fight it - at least when it comes to the cutting aspect. I know there's no way I'd be happy with a big cut. But, I do give in with Manic Panic or color - like dip dyed ends. It's fun and it's a change and it's not damaging like I used to do it. :)

Calaelen
May 19th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I once cut all my hair off (about 15 inches) in a grief and rage fueled breakdown, but it was also partially an act of defiance, and an attempt to reclaim control of my body, and myself. I had been raped the night before, and my attacker explicitly told me how much he loved my long hair, that is was almost the ideal length for a hairstyle that drove him wild. He then commanded me to never cut it.
The second I was free, i immediatley hacked off my hair.

While I never regretted that particular cut, it was also a factor in my decision to grow to extreme lengths, and to have my hair long for me, in spite of what he said. Now, I fear that an extreme cut might be triggering for me..and I avoid trimming to the very last second. Now, when I think of chopping my hair off it is when I am in a similar state of despair, as an attack on myself, as punishment for s*it that my mind can't get straight. And I fear that. I fear that if I ever actually do it, it will signal the end.

Now, when I get restless, or my life seems to have come to an unsatisfactory stall, I change my hair colour. I have been doing this for a long time, and I must admit I am lucky to have extremely resilient hair.

endlessly
May 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I've finally reached a point where I've learned not to take out my frustrations on my hair, but it's definitely still tough sometimes. Whenever I've had someone make a comment about how I look, changing my hair was a quick fix whether it was color-treating or cutting. I've definitely done more damage with hair dye than scissors, though, but I'm now determined to never touch either again for a long time.

HadessThera
May 19th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I tend to hack off all my hair when I'm going through a bad break up in an irrational need to make myself as unattractive and "new" as possible, haven't had a break up in a while hence my progress :D I still get an itch to cut my hair though, especially when I hang out with one of friends who has a very flattering pixie cut, but so far I've managed to keep away from the scissors

lapushka
May 19th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Between age 20-30 is when I experimented most with length & color, I think. I had a while with dye in my 30s, but that's behind me now. I'm fairly calm right now with not taking anything out on my hair. I don't think I would have gotten to this length otherwise. A few years ago, I couldn't get past BSL because I "experimented" with my hair that much.

GoodPixie
May 19th, 2015, 02:39 PM
New here. I too do this about every two year I cut it all off into a pixie. I wore it as a pixie for so long that my family started
calling me Pixie. I am trying escape the cycle that I started 20 years ago!:rolleyes:

chen bao jun
May 19th, 2015, 08:44 PM
When I feel bad I pamper my hair, it makes me feel better.
I've never had a romantic breakup though, can't imagine how that feels. I married my first boyfriend. It seems it's romance that makes people cut their hair most of the time, I've had other very rotten experiences but not that one.
you know, when I was a child, I was constantly violently beaten up for two years and they would say I deserved to have my hair cut off, probably i do not feel like cutting off my hair ever because it's my way of saying haha, I survived you to those rotten little girls back in in 2nd and 3rd grade and their rotten mothers who thought it was okay to torment me because of my hair and skin color.

Eleven
May 21st, 2015, 12:08 PM
Haha. Got a hair dye disaster when my high school sweetheart (first love, sigh) broke up with me. Had very light blonde hair at the time, and I wanted it red. Not just any shade of red, but FIRE red. Needless to say: bad idea. It washed out like crazy (giving me this beautiful combination of yellow, white, beige, pink, light red and blood red hair) and several attemps to get my light blonde hair back horribly failed, of course. Boy, did I wish that I did a little more research on that one. Eventually had to dye it dark ash blonde to tone down the reds + chop it off. That was the summer before I left for uni. Luckily, it turned out all right by itself in the end. The red washed/faded out and so did the dark blonde. Never got my light blonde back, however.

Now: chopped my waist length hair off to a lob because I wanted to look more 'professional' (I'm graduating soon and the search for a job is pretty crazy here, the country still suffers from the crisis). Somehow I thought that having short hair would help me get a job. Right? Then I went for a maintenance trim & had a trimming happy hairdresser. Bye bye lob. Hello SL with flippy things and layers. :slap:

Please remind me to a) never chop my hair off for a love interest b) never chop my hair off for a job c) to never chop my hair off for anyone or anything.
If I do ever have this crazy idea ever to chop if off again: provide me with this post.

Thank you. :flower:

(sorry for the anger, some days I do cope better :p :p )

Zesty
May 21st, 2015, 12:36 PM
My chop from TBL to CBL was fueled by various emotional happenings. DH was moving away for a year, it was my last year of school, my bipolar disorder was (in retrospect) not adequately medicated...

I'm kind of getting the itch to play with my appearance again but it's going towards new glasses and experimenting with makeup. Hopefully that continues, I think it'll be more productive than a haircut in the long run.

Scarlet_Heart
May 21st, 2015, 04:09 PM
Manic panic and deposit only dyes are my new best friends. I can be impulsive without doing anything permanent that will require growing out.