PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide and beard

gthlvrmx
May 17th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Sorry mods if I placed this in the wrong place again, please put this in the correct spot if needed. Thank you.

OK so about 1 or 2 weeks ago, I had to use hydrogen peroxide on my mouth/lip area because I had to clean it with it. I rubbed some hydrogen peroxide on my moustache, on the hair under my bottom lip, and a little on the beard on my chin and cheek. Now there are blonde hairs growing out in those areas that I can see. I only left the hydrogen peroxide on for a few seconds and then rinse it off with water. I even CO washed my facial hair completely to give it some moisture.
Was a quick "rinse" of hyrodgen peroxide on my facial hair enough to cause damage to it and make some hairs turn blonde? I thought if i waited it out, I would see some darkness coming out from the root but it's still blonde on those hairs, just longer now. Was the CO wash enough to get rid of the peroxide? Do I have to wash it with shampoo or a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any leftover peroxide? Can any leftover peroxide cause hairs to stay growing out in a different color, even if it were left on there for about 1-2 weeks?

I am planning on growing out my facial hair which is why I ask and I want a nice fresh clean start without too much damage. I don't mind having to shave it all off again to start over. I might even just not grow it out if I don't like how it looks after a while. I just have these questions in my head about it because before this, I never really noticed blonde hairs on my face! One of the blonde hairs looks crinkly? It looks like it has dents in it so I was thinking that might be the peroxide damage. The dark "normal" hairs are coarse and dark. I know I was born with lighter hair, but I never noticed the blonde hairs on my face! Maybe it's normal.

Doreen
May 17th, 2015, 11:28 PM
I don't know much about how you would go about getting rid of the peroxide, but I do think that it is the cause of the blond hairs. That being said I highly doubt that they are permanently blond. A clarifying shampoo of the area probably wouldn't hurt. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply...

PalomaSincera
May 18th, 2015, 12:27 AM
The blonde hairs will return to normal within a few days to a week.

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I can't comment specifically on beards and mo's, but when I used to use any peroxide acne stuff on my face I had to be very careful to keep it away from my eyebrows because it started to bleach them yellow! This was in concentrations of less than 5% hydrogen peroxide! So its possible you've just bleached some of the hairs.

Alternatively the blonde hairs you currently see are normal and you've just paid them more attention because of worry or because you're now wanting to grow your beard out. Most men I know have a variety of beard hair colours in their beards, including black, brown, blonde and red hairs! Its quite amazing!

When I stopped the products with H2O2 my eyebrows returned to their normal colour in a few weeks. :)

Edited to add: I'm not sure what you meant by 'permanently change' your hair colour, but I highly doubt rinses of peroxide would have changed the actual hair follicle in a way to make it produce blonde hair. If that were the case women would only need to bleach a few times to be forever blonde. If by permanent you meant just bleaching the hair, then ignore this! :D

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2015, 01:04 AM
I don't know much about how you would go about getting rid of the peroxide, but I do think that it is the cause of the blond hairs. That being said I highly doubt that they are permanently blond. A clarifying shampoo of the area probably wouldn't hurt. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply...
I will clarify my facial hair tomorrow. Thank you.

The blonde hairs will return to normal within a few days to a week.
I'll come back and say if that happened by that time. Thank you.

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2015, 01:08 AM
I can't comment specifically on beards and mo's, but when I used to use any peroxide acne stuff on my face I had to be very careful to keep it away from my eyebrows because it started to bleach them yellow! This was in concentrations of less than 5% hydrogen peroxide! So its possible you've just bleached some of the hairs.

Alternatively the blonde hairs you currently see are normal and you've just paid them more attention because of worry or because you're now wanting to grow your beard out. Most men I know have a variety of beard hair colours in their beards, including black, brown, blonde and red hairs! Its quite amazing!

When I stopped the products with H2O2 my eyebrows returned to their normal colour in a few weeks. :)

Edited to add: I'm not sure what you meant by 'permanently change' your hair colour, but I highly doubt rinses of peroxide would have changed the actual hair follicle in a way to make it produce blonde hair. If that were the case women would only need to bleach a few times to be forever blonde. If by permanent you meant just bleaching the hair, then ignore this! :D

Ok then I will wait and see if dark hair starts growing out for a longer time. And yes I did mean a permanent change down to the follicles. Thank you!

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2015, 01:11 AM
Ok then I will wait and see if dark hair starts growing out for a longer time. And yes I did mean a permanent change down to the follicles. Thank you!

Not a problem, it will take a little time if it was bleached (a few weeks, depending on your facial hair growth) but it couldn't have permanently changed the follicles. Otherwise dark hair should grow in elsewhere, you could just have a few funny blonde hairs as well. Hope the beard grows well!!

elea
May 18th, 2015, 03:02 AM
Other than dying darker on top (which seems not necessary on a little length of moustache as most of the dye would go on your skin and take the days to fade, which is the time it takes for the moustache to grow natural), peroxyde is permanent on that area. Your moustache will grow natural and you will be able to just snip the bleached ends.
Funny though (being the kind of person who cracks up if a dye accident leaves me with a green fringe instead of purple: *woopsie*).

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Not a problem, it will take a little time if it was bleached (a few weeks, depending on your facial hair growth) but it couldn't have permanently changed the follicles. Otherwise dark hair should grow in elsewhere, you could just have a few funny blonde hairs as well. Hope the beard grows well!!

Other than dying darker on top (which seems not necessary on a little length of moustache as most of the dye would go on your skin and take the days to fade, which is the time it takes for the moustache to grow natural), peroxyde is permanent on that area. Your moustache will grow natural and you will be able to just snip the bleached ends.
Funny though (being the kind of person who cracks up if a dye accident leaves me with a green fringe instead of purple: *woopsie*).

I just realized that I never even said much about "permanent" in my questions, did I? I don't think so. Either way, thanks for the replies!

gwenalyn
May 18th, 2015, 01:18 PM
You may very well just have some blonde hairs in your beard, especially if you had lighter hair when you were younger. My boyfriend is not redheaded at *all* and he has some random red/orange hairs in his beard :shrug:

Horrorpops
May 26th, 2015, 05:09 AM
Hey, just wanted to check in and see how your beard was coming along! I am curious if you can see any new darker growth? :)

gthlvrmx
May 26th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Hey, just wanted to check in and see how your beard was coming along! I am curious if you can see any new darker growth? :)

There is not much darker growth coming in. There is one specific blonde hair I check up on and it still looks blonde, but it may be the lighting in the bathroom that makes it look blonde since it is darker on the tip now (which is funny because it's not the new growth that looks darker as expected but rather the end of it). I think I may just be growing in blonde hairs since I was born with light colored haired but who knows. I thought I saw 1 hair with darker growth on the bottom, but I can't find that hair anymore. Maybe the lighting in the bathroom has an effect on some of my hairs to look blonde? That's just another idea I have about the light colors of those hairs.

Horrorpops
June 2nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
There is not much darker growth coming in. There is one specific blonde hair I check up on and it still looks blonde, but it may be the lighting in the bathroom that makes it look blonde since it is darker on the tip now (which is funny because it's not the new growth that looks darker as expected but rather the end of it). I think I may just be growing in blonde hairs since I was born with light colored haired but who knows. I thought I saw 1 hair with darker growth on the bottom, but I can't find that hair anymore. Maybe the lighting in the bathroom has an effect on some of my hairs to look blonde? That's just another idea I have about the light colors of those hairs.

Hmm thats interesting, I'm sorry to hear it hasn't grown in darker yet. It could be that you just have a light coloured beard - my brothers beard is a few shades lighter than his hair so it definitely isn't unheard of. :)

browneyedsusan
June 2nd, 2015, 08:06 AM
Beards can be squirrely, but they all look nice, IMHO. Even if it doesn't match your head hair perfectly, it'll still look great. Grow that thing out and rock your racing stripes, splotches, complementary color, or whatever! :thumbsup:

gthlvrmx
June 7th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Hmm thats interesting, I'm sorry to hear it hasn't grown in darker yet. It could be that you just have a light coloured beard - my brothers beard is a few shades lighter than his hair so it definitely isn't unheard of. :)
It's alright, I am happier with them. I am thinking I have random lighter hairs on my face than on my head which is totally fine.

Beards can be squirrely, but they all look nice, IMHO. Even if it doesn't match your head hair perfectly, it'll still look great. Grow that thing out and rock your racing stripes, splotches, complementary color, or whatever! :thumbsup:
Thanks, I will grow this out and see how it looks! I even used henna on my facial hair and the blonde hairs turned orangey. :)

MINAKO
June 7th, 2015, 06:02 PM
SO has natural black hair and his beard is the same color, yet there are two orangey blonde hairs growing within the lip area and no matter how many times they are removed by tweezers, they keep coming back in the same place.
I have some of these on my scalp but due to alot of hennidigo its almost impossible to locate them unless i see a bit of that color at the root after a while.

gthlvrmx
June 7th, 2015, 06:04 PM
SO has natural black hair and his beard is the same color, yet there are two orangey blonde hairs growing within the lip area and no matter how many times they are removed by tweezers, they keep coming back in the same place.
I have some of these on my scalp but due to alot of hennidigo its almost impossible to locate them unless i see a bit of that color at the root after a while.

That sounds nice to have!