PDA

View Full Version : Non Damaging 60's Beehive Hairdo?

ChloeDharma
May 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Yesterday I went to a 60's themed birthday party and decided to let my sister do a 60's beehive on me. I have to say I LOVED it! I got so many complinents and really want to do it more often, particularly as I often wesr 60's style dresses so it goes with the look really well. The thing is she had to back comb my hair and used loads of hairspray so I know if I did it like that regularly it would kill my hair.

Is there a way to get the look without so much back combing? I always just wear my hair in a simple bun and to be honest am feeling like I really want to do some different hairstyles now rather than looking the same every day.

cat11
May 17th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I know I've happened across some instructions but it didnt look QUITE like the 60s beehive. A bit smaller.

I think it may be possible to create something similar if you wrapped it around a foam half circle like the ones they sell for floral arrangement (sounds silly but you need to do something to create the height)

I wanna see pics of this beehive! Pics or it didnt happen ;)

spidermom
May 17th, 2015, 01:23 PM
The only other way I can think of to get a beehive is to have a hair piece you can hide your own hair under.

Nique1202
May 17th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Torrin Paige did a video tutorial on a tease-free beehive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6wZBH_oUU), both the classic top-of-the-head style and a more modern take further back/down on the head. All you need is a couple of elastics, a bun form, and some bobby pins.

ChloeDharma
May 17th, 2015, 01:52 PM
I know I've happened across some instructions but it didnt look QUITE like the 60s beehive. A bit smaller.

I think it may be possible to create something similar if you wrapped it around a foam half circle like the ones they sell for floral arrangement (sounds silly but you need to do something to create the height)

I wanna see pics of this beehive! Pics or it didnt happen ;)

It occured to me today that I should have got photos taken once it was done. I'll see what photos there are from the party and hopefully find one where you can see the hairdo. Though I'm not sure how to post them here, I might have to link to my facebook thingy for people to see it.

Yeah it seems I might have to get hair or something to pad it, though I'm not sure how to keep it in the hairdo. I suppose I'll just have to experiment.

endlessly
May 17th, 2015, 02:09 PM
The only other way I know of is to incorporate a hair piece to give that "bumped" appearance.

ChloeDharma
May 17th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Torrin Paige did a video tutorial on a tease-free beehive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6wZBH_oUU), both the classic top-of-the-head style and a more modern take further back/down on the head. All you need is a couple of elastics, a bun form, and some bobby pins.

Wow that does look good, though sadly my hair is nowhere near as long as hers to do all that wrappng around. I do have a bun doughnut though so might play with that. I'm hoping with some practise the beehive French pleat could become a regular style.

Nique1202
May 17th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Wow that does look good, though sadly my hair is nowhere near as long as hers to do all that wrappng around. I do have a bun doughnut though so might play with that. I'm hoping with some practise the beehive French pleat could become a regular style.

Yeah, you could still probably do it, it just wouldn't be QUITE as big as hers. You only need enough wrapping to hide the bun form, after all!

Seeshami
May 17th, 2015, 03:09 PM

..... I wonder what that would look like with my ombre.....

The naughty mess says. "Looks fun!!"

Meh to much work. :Rollin:

Katleen
May 18th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I feel that a homemade "hair rat" is easier to use than a foam donut.
It is easier to mold and doesn't give you that obvious "I put something in my hair to make it look bigger"-look. :-)

Nique1202
May 18th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I feel that a homemade "hair rat" is easier to use than a foam donut.
It is easier to mold and doesn't give you that obvious "I put something in my hair to make it look bigger"-look. :-)

I don't know, the whole "I put something in my hair to make it look bigger" thing is the entire point of the beehive. Almost nobody has that much hair, it has to be stuffed up with something. If you have a hair rat that's great, but a bun form or a roll of toilet paper is a lot easier and quicker to get your hands on than several years worth of shed hairs in a specific shape.

ChloeDharma
May 18th, 2015, 07:27 AM
I like the idea of the hair rat as it would probably be easier to blend in with my not so long fine thin hair. The thing is, I did have one before that I saved up shed hair from my hair brush when I was heavily shedding but it became a disgusting dust trap. I looked at it and just thought "I can't put that manky thing in my hair!". I have been thinking of getting a packet of kanokelon (sp?) braiding hair though as it's really cheap so wouldn't be an issue replacing it regularly.

I watched some old Star Trek original series a while back and noticed one cast member had this blonde beehive that had some kind of intricate weaving done to it, it looks amazing but I expect would be hard work to do. Actually I found a piccy

http://media.tumblr.com/b0a832edbb662df02795fd63e9e9b09b/tumblr_inline_mnq420up5K1qz4rgp.png

browneyedsusan
May 18th, 2015, 07:32 PM
I like the idea of the hair rat as it would probably be easier to blend in with my not so long fine thin hair. The thing is, I did have one before that I saved up shed hair from my hair brush when I was heavily shedding but it became a disgusting dust trap. I looked at it and just thought "I can't put that manky thing in my hair!". I have been thinking of getting a packet of kanokelon (sp?) braiding hair though as it's really cheap so wouldn't be an issue replacing it regularly.

I watched some old Star Trek original series a while back and noticed one cast member had this blonde beehive that had some kind of intricate weaving done to it, it looks amazing but I expect would be hard work to do. Actually I found a piccy

http://media.tumblr.com/b0a832edbb662df02795fd63e9e9b09b/tumblr_inline_mnq420up5K1qz4rgp.png

That is fabulous!

I've used this tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03dxHEL7x00)--it has teasing--, and also this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLpGV4JYU8).
The second one works really well for me because my hair is on the thin side. :)

elea
May 18th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Sneak a foam half bun thingy on head, couple boby pins each end, cover with hair and you have be-hive volume without back combing.
Secure with bobby pins and when you can shake your head and nothing feels flimsy up there, remove the ones that are not needed or show.
Not know the foam half bun thingy word but it is shaped like a shoulder pad. A doughnut cut in half can do but it moves about.
Dry shampoo is brilliant for lifting the roots (just hold your hair up whilst it dries) too and it helps the hair to not slide about on the "thingy" without an army of bobby pins.
That what I worked out. There might be better.