PDA

View Full Version : Braiding Practice Club

LillithTheFirst
May 16th, 2015, 08:27 PM
So, I suck at braiding so I'm determined to practise it and post photos and get some feedback on my "technique". I'm currently just using hair extensions (which are regrettably not very long or very thick) to try out different braids. I'm finding it tricky getting it under my fingers, and its going to be even trickier doing it on my own hair but I think it'll get easier the better i get at just doing them on other people/models:

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2949/196.jpg (http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2949-196.html)
FOUR STRAND BRAID. I used brown hair extensions (my hair is a bit darker) but I switched to blonde highlighted hair cause it's easier to see
http://www.image-share.com/upload/2949/197.jpg (http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2949-197.html)
FIVE STRANG BRAID
http://www.image-share.com/upload/2949/198.jpg (http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2949-198.html)
FISHTAIL BRAID WITH TWISTED EDGE

LillithTheFirst
May 16th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I can't figure out how to edit my post, but of course you are all free to also share your photos of you practising braiding! I'ld like to see!

yahirwaO.o
May 16th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I dont think you suck at braiding at all. I also learned with yarns and my moms extensions. I can do lots of braid and dream weaver stuff.... on other people!!!! :rolleyes:

On myself, its a totall differente game. My hair is crazy slipery even wet hair doesnt hold that much together, its short (APL) and front angled, which makes it look like I have layered hair and tapper in my braid.

.... still Im mastering my french-dutch braiding skills. I kinda believe its easier with longer lenghts someohow and of course if its is one lenght.

elea
May 16th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Sometimes I practice on strands of wool or rope to get the mechanic of the braid going; I can choose how long, thick and so on.
Then it is a matter of working out the best position for fingers to do the braids on me.
The nicest challenge is then doing it on someone else with different hair texture, requirements and well, just everything.
Teaching or working it out for someone is a great help too, makes me really see it through and improve. Both on their heads or on someone else's head.
It gives many ideas too. One alone can stay stuck in own ways.

I have a massive "plus" included as well, showing my friend to braid his daughter's heads is absolutely fantastic for my vocabulary: from showing him a standard braid to a French one, I went from "grab that bit there" to "select the strand just above the ear".

Your practice pieces are just perfect. No sucking there, unless you were enjoying a mint sweet whilst doing them. *;OD

elea
May 16th, 2015, 08:55 PM
"woops" (repeat post)

LillithTheFirst
May 16th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I dont think you suck at braiding at all. I also learned with yarns and my moms extensions. I can do lots of braid and dream weaver stuff.... on other people!!!! :rolleyes:

And thats why in the Renaissance and Medieval times women had personal maids and lots of sisters! So they could braid each others hair! Ugh!

LillithTheFirst
May 16th, 2015, 09:03 PM
elea I'm still fumbling around for the right places for my fingers and holding different strands. I'm also finding it hard to get all the single strands of hair to be in the right places and its generally kinda messy. Do people usually spray water on the hair to make it more.... tame?

elea
May 16th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Lillith The more you do > the better you get.
For fingers I cannot help you. I do everything different and according to what my fingers can do that day and how much I feel them (like arthritis).
What I can say is that everyone has their own way and there is no right/wrong, just the one that works best for you.
Water: yes and no. Yes: hair stays in place better. No: It gives no "wiggle" room to re-arrange as you go. I am not sure how to explain and it is not a trick I use.
Best is try both, gather as many advice/ways from various people and you will get there. There is actually few braids that are meant to look messy and mistakes can show you something different. Try standard braid with 1 strand much thicker and see the pattern it does to check that one for yourself (for example).
I hope you get many different answers to your questions, it would make my point better than I can make it.
To me, main thing is enjoying what you do and feeling you making steps towards what you like.
Keep going *:O)

Betazed
May 17th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Can I join your club, please?

After joining LHC, I realized there was a lot more ways to braid and bun than I had thought. After seeing everyone's awsome pics, I decided I needed to learn more ways to put up my WL hair. If anyone's checked out the braid picture thread lately, you can see that I've been trying to perfect the dutch crown braid. Thus far, I've become pretty good at starting one from my natural part (which is on the left side) but today I attempted to do an actual dutch braid crown, starting at the far left side of my hair (right above the ear). This is my first attempt at it:
http://s6.postimg.org/jm8ccapvl/image.jpg

I found it really difficult starting with such fine strands and after many fails and aborts, I'm still not entirely happy with it. I think it looks a little weird right where the braid begins. Here's a pic of it from the front:
http://s6.postimg.org/b2oyejhj5/image.jpg

This is also my frist attempt at a braided bun. The bun has a lace braid around the circumference.

quirkybookworm
May 17th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Extensions to learn to braid on? That's actually the best idea I think I've ever heard! I've always just tried to learn different braids on my own hair as I go (everyone else in my house has pixies - so I can't borrow a family member for braiding practice, unfortunately.) Last week I finally figured out how to french and dutch braid. As it turns out, I've been braiding 'wrong' my entire life! I've always braided under instead of over so, for me, dutch braids are second nature and french braids are difficult. :lol:

A few weeks before I learned to french and dutch, I learned to rope braid and fishtail braid. My hair is getting to a length that I don't really want it to be down all the time, and three strand braids are getting boring. Good thing there's a million and one different braids, right? I'm really excited to move onto the more difficult braids :happydance:

elea
May 17th, 2015, 05:22 PM
I agree, if fingers doing their own things rather than what i want to do: fine layered harder than thick 1 length.
on other people always easier and, one can take a break. on own head, erm... hands are up in the air and cannot see where to clip a strand to take a pause.

just a thought on hair extensions: if they too thick and not long enough. maybe select a strand from it and practice on that porting. move onto next strand and end-up playing braiding braids?

thing is: often people show picture and say it no good. i watch and i smile because it great.
i think we just very self criticizing striving for perfection.
it good > makes one works at it and show wanting to do but, it need stop there > no feeling bad about trying, that silly in my opinion.

ok, my 2 pence because i cannot type much today. i just thought i write something i keep saying because it is dangling here in front of my nose whilst i watching nice braids and people keen to learn saying they not good.
no need to say. i not wearing a braid today because i did not want to practice my swearing whilst doing it *;OP

mods, i go back with proper capitals and sentences asap. i made myself not allowed to answer more than 1 post when it like this. i hope that is good compromise between involved and good typing.

hair: stick randomly stuck in there: no compromising, it not matter *:O)

Parisian Dozen
May 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM
...I should buy some rope to learn how to braid.

LillithTheFirst
May 17th, 2015, 07:51 PM
...I should buy some rope to learn how to braid.
Yeah for sure! You can get soft cording from any craft store. I'm currently using hair extensions and squishing them in a window so I get some pull! Some people use different coloured wool to "colour code" where the "hair" is weaved or the different "strands". It sure is interesting, fun and frustrating to learn!

elea
May 18th, 2015, 03:11 AM
My favorite is the Celt braid but it is not coming right in my hair. Too much layers, it is there but it does not show as Celt braid, it comes out 5 strands after the 1st 5cm *facepalm*.
Took me ages to be able to do that one again, now I have to wait for more length to grow at 1 length.
I some sweet summer bracelets out of practizing with different colour cottons mind. *;O)

Beezle
May 18th, 2015, 03:46 AM
It's good to read this and I hope it encourages me to choose something to practice on. I can't braid at all! I've never had long hair and now have so much arthritis in my hands that I have put braiding beyond my capabilities, but this thread has given me a goal. I shouldn't accept defeat so readily. Runs off to buy wool.

elea
May 18th, 2015, 04:01 AM
beezle It often goes like this here: braid - braid - stretch finger - braidx3 - stretch - braidx1 - sight - braidx5... But I get there in the end.
It is a nice replacement for the daily finger exercise.
*Glade to have said about finger issue* and go you! *:OD

Betazed
May 18th, 2015, 11:10 PM
so, the braided bun held up pretty well over night and I ended up wearing it a second day. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a different version of the braided bun to share. I'm currently surfing YT, looking for one that doesn't seem insanely complicated. Suggestions are welcome!

LillithTheFirst
May 19th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Beezle It's pretty much just weaving hair. Even just doing a simple 3 strand braid, fishtail braid and rope braids are a good place to start and the easiest. Arthritis is not nice from what I hear!

elea
May 19th, 2015, 02:48 AM
NicCarpenter check hair of the month project.