PDA

View Full Version : How to get natural looking healthy blonde hair?

Blondieee
May 16th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Hey guys! I'm going to be going blonde soon now that my ferritin has finally started to go up. I'm trying to get a pretty natural looking color. I'm not looking for harsh roots. I just want it to look very natural and pretty. I'm trying to find out how to make it look that way and what the stylists are doing for the blondes whose hair looks that way versus the ones who have harsh roots. I also want it to LOOK (not be) healthy. Heat styling has to be done. There's no exception. I've tried heat free styling methods before and they either don't work/don't look good/or cause my hair to fall out (Curlformers). I know heat and bleach both damage hair. I don't care if it's not healthy. I just want it to appear that way.

So I need advice on how to get the color I'm looking for. Here are pictures of 2 blondes I know. The first one has really dark roots no matter what lighting she's in. It's always super dark roots and it grows out in a harsh line. I want to avoid that. But her hair looks really healthy. She heat styles all the time (straightens/curls). The second girl has natural looking roots. It looks natural and not like a harsh line no matter the lighting. That's what I'm going for. But her hair looks a little damaged and dry. She heat styles frequently too just like the first girl. What are the differences in the roots and the health of the hair? Is the second girl putting a toner on her hair? From my personal experience, dye damages my hair way more than bleach does. Thanks in advance!

http://i62.tinypic.com/11kihxv.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/n4i1lj.jpg

missblueeyes
May 16th, 2015, 04:10 PM
First off, what is your starting colour? If it's in the dark blonde / brunette spectrum, you might be able to get what you want with getting highlights put in your hair. That'd prevent a harsh demarcation line, reduce the damage somewhat (-> healthier looking hair) and will give you a nice root to colour transition. I used to highlight my hair to get from brown to blonde while growing my hair to BSL without any problems. Here's an example of what that could look like: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Dt2eseWYX9U/UlbDhFav8TI/AAAAAAAAALs/5Rh4tQrTSX8/s320/4.jpg
My roots are a natural, darkish ash blonde, just for reference.
Alternatively, you could ask for balayage, which would give you an even more natural look.
I can't help you in the styling department, though, as I have no mentionworthy experience with heat styling.

molljo
May 16th, 2015, 04:25 PM
The roots issue is really about your natural color, like missblueeyes said. The first friend simply has a darker natural color than the second friend. I'll also second the suggestion of highlights or balayage.

As for keeping it looking healthy, I would recommend regular protein treatments and lots of silicones. Try to stretch washes as much as you can, and opt for conditioners with lots of hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, ceramides, and 18-MEA. Always use a heat protectant.

missblueeyes
May 16th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Protein isn't always the answer, though. You need to balance protein with a lot of moisture or else your hair will become very brittle. Trust me, I bleached my strands to the maximum and when I didn't know about proper haircare, I thought that protein masks would fix everything. Spoiler: They didn't. You'll need a good balance between protein, moisture and most likely silicones to acheive the best look. Only trial and error will truly tell you what your processed hair wants. I also heard that CO-Washing or simply skipping the sulfates in the shampoo help a lot when your hair is bleached but I can't say anything from experience on that one. I second the heat protectant. Just make sure you let it dry completely before you use any heat tools or else you'll do more damage than good.
What I also noticed is how the elements affect your hair. If it's particularly windy outside (looks like it was the case in the second picture) your hair will tangle and will look less healthy and shiny than when it's nice outside.

divinedobbie
May 16th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Seconding, thirding?, what's already been mentioned. Go for highlights, as you add more highlights as the months go by, the ends will become blonder (multiple layers of highlights) but the roots will still be interspersed with highlights so the demarcation line isn't so harsh.

Heat can actually make your hair look healthier because it smooths the cuticle, especially if you use it in conjunction with heavy silicones and heat protectants.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but look into doing a heavy coconut oiling before bleaching, it's supposed to prevent some damage or something like that.

Also, on the topic of protein/moisture balance, Wendy from goosefootprints/science-y hair blog sent me this:
"Protein helps fill in gaps and damaged areas in porous hair so it doesnʼt lose water easily. So protein hydrates hair by slowing water loss, but it also helps hair maintain water by being a water-attractant. Protein improves elasticity by keeping hair well-hydrated. Protein can help silky, medium and fine hair feel stronger and can reduce breakage. Hydration and moisturize are the same thing, proteins help moisturize."

and also this:

"If a protein treatment or protein-containing product seems too strong, it is either the wrong protein for your hair, or it is too concentrated and needs to be diluted. Many people need to follow up a protein treatment with a deep conditioning treatment. Hydrolyzed keratin and collagen as well as gelatin may be beneficial for improving elasticity. Other proteins such as wheat, oat and corn may work well in your hair also.

There are 2 results to look for to know if youʼve used too much protein. Hair can get too soft or it can become stiff and rough and tangly feeling. If a generous application of conditioner does not reverse a slightly rough after-feel of a protein treatment, then itʼs the wrong protein, or there was too much protein in the product, or your hair does not need protein right now."

She's very well educated and a lot of the research I've done supports this as well

molljo
May 16th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Protein isn't always the answer, though. You need to balance protein with a lot of moisture or else your hair will become very brittle. Trust me, I bleached my strands to the maximum and when I didn't know about proper haircare, I thought that protein masks would fix everything. Spoiler: They didn't. You'll need a good balance between protein, moisture and most likely silicones to acheive the best look. Only trial and error will truly tell you what your processed hair wants. I also heard that CO-Washing or simply skipping the sulfates in the shampoo help a lot when your hair is bleached but I can't say anything from experience on that one. I second the heat protectant. Just make sure you let it dry completely before you use any heat tools or else you'll do more damage than good.
What I also noticed is how the elements affect your hair. If it's particularly windy outside (looks like it was the case in the second picture) your hair will tangle and will look less healthy and shiny than when it's nice outside.

My bad, I was operating under the assumption that people knew to follow protein with moisture. It gets repeated here so much that I wrongly assumed that it was a given. I can see how not stating that would lead someone into a lot of trouble.

Seeshami
May 16th, 2015, 05:58 PM
I am an ash blond and for a while I used John Frieda's go blonder system to go to a light golden blond

Ps. I think the first girl uses chemicals to get her blond and the second might just be sun damage

Blondieee
May 16th, 2015, 11:24 PM
My starting color is light brown. In direct sunlight, it looks very similar to the second girl's natural color. I was a blonde when I was younger. I know the first girl was a blonde when she was younger because I've seen pictures which is why I'm confused as to why her roots look so dark. I'm pretty sure the second one was a blonde when she was younger too considering how light her natural color is. I think that’s what both girls do is highlights in foils. Just for some reason one of them has a harsh demarcation line and the other one doesn’t. The only thing I can figure is the first girl’s stylist foils every single strand maybe? I’ve heard of balayage and that looks very natural. I know that not every stylist can do that though.

I thought about the first girl’s hair being darker too but I’ve seen girls who have been blonde for years and used to not have a harsh demarcation line and now they do. And it doesn't make sense to me how the first girl's hair is so dark but she was a blonde when she was younger. So it makes me think something with the technique is being done differently. Does the shade they use make a difference like with contrast which could make roots appear darker?

And the second girl’s hair is not from the sun. It’s color treated as well. That’s what I mean though. It looks so natural that it’s hard to tell. You just think it's natural. I love the second girl’s hair as far as color and the first girl’s hair as far as health. The first girl’s color isn’t bad if she didn’t have a harsh line of demarcation and had some brown mixed in like the second girl does to give a more natural look.

My hair doesn’t respond well to co-washing or sulfate free shampoos. I will try using coconut oil before I bleach though. I’ve heard not to use oil after you color because it will change the color. So what should you use for moisture and protein after you color? My hair is very picky with what it likes. It only likes sulfate shampoos and if I overuse anything on it (like over a long period of time) it starts to look very dry and frizzy.

amanda_the_tall
May 17th, 2015, 01:00 AM
My starting color is light brown. In direct sunlight, it looks very similar to the second girl's natural color. I was a blonde when I was younger. I know the first girl was a blonde when she was younger because I've seen pictures which is why I'm confused as to why her roots look so dark. I'm pretty sure the second one was a blonde when she was younger too considering how light her natural color is. I think that’s what both girls do is highlights in foils. Just for some reason one of them has a harsh demarcation line and the other one doesn’t. The only thing I can figure is the first girl’s stylist foils every single strand maybe? I’ve heard of balayage and that looks very natural. I know that not every stylist can do that though.

I thought about the first girl’s hair being darker too but I’ve seen girls who have been blonde for years and used to not have a harsh demarcation line and now they do. And it doesn't make sense to me how the first girl's hair is so dark but she was a blonde when she was younger. So it makes me think something with the technique is being done differently. Does the shade they use make a difference like with contrast which could make roots appear darker?

And the second girl’s hair is not from the sun. It’s color treated as well. That’s what I mean though. It looks so natural that it’s hard to tell. You just think it's natural. I love the second girl’s hair as far as color and the first girl’s hair as far as health. The first girl’s color isn’t bad if she didn’t have a harsh line of demarcation and had some brown mixed in like the second girl does to give a more natural look.

My hair doesn’t respond well to co-washing or sulfate free shampoos. I will try using coconut oil before I bleach though. I’ve heard not to use oil after you color because it will change the color. So what should you use for moisture and protein after you color? My hair is very picky with what it likes. It only likes sulfate shampoos and if I overuse anything on it (like over a long period of time) it starts to look very dry and frizzy.

People's hair color can change. My mom used to be blonde as a teenager (she also highlighted though), now she's a medium brown. My fiance used to be bright white blonde as a kid, he's a dark blonde now, with some brown hair. Since you're a light brown, I would try to stay close to your shade to make it look more natural, so regrowth will be less noticeable. The Sally's Generic brand of Matrix conditioning balm saved my hair when I used to dye it, it's extremely moisturizing.

butterflybutton
May 17th, 2015, 01:52 AM
Different techniques of foiling give different results. Find a great colourist and let them know what end result you want, they will know know what to do to get it there :)

As for the "healthiness" difference in your two friends, I'd say the first has used a shine serum and the second maybe has used a sea spray type styling product, or nothing at all. So all in the styling products, not necessarily one has healthier hair then the other.

Honestly you should explain all that you have written here to your hair colourist they will be able to advise you on your best course of action.

maborosi
May 17th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Not a lot of advice but I've done a heavy coconut oiling prior to bleaching and it does help prevent a lot of the damage that's associated with bleaching.

I've used whatever Sally's had as far as protein treatments after bleaching my hair. I haven't done a treatment in years, though.

Larki
May 17th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Does the first girl have a demarcation line in person? If you've only seen her in photos recently, it's very possible that that "line" is just a trick of the lighting. Blonde hair tends to do that in pictures unless in direct sunlight.

jeanniet
May 17th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Does the first girl have a demarcation line in person? If you've only seen her in photos recently, it's very possible that that "line" is just a trick of the lighting. Blonde hair tends to do that in pictures unless in direct sunlight.

Yes. I've also seen natural blondes have a demarcation line in summer because of some sun bleaching. My childhood best friend was dark blonde with summer lightening and always had a demarcation line like that, completely naturally.

endlessly
May 17th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I don't have any suggestions for getting your hair to blonde since my one and only experiencing attempting to go from brunette to blonde resulted in a muddy orange tone, but I do have some suggestions for keeping your hair looking and feeling healthy.

Up until roughly two years ago, I washed my hair daily and used hot rollers to curl my hair and it not only looked healthy, but it still felt very healthy as well and I didn't have a single split end.

First, pick your poison when it comes to heat styling. If you know you want to curl your hair after washing, try to let air dry versus using a dryer, it will save you a bit of damage. Just like if you know you'll want to straighten your hair, skip the dryer too. Second, use a heat protecting spray or balm - anything you can use as a barrier and added level of protection will help to keep your hair looking its best. Third, pamper your hair when you can - use oils, deep conditioners, leave-ins, moisturizing hair masks - this will help keep it feeling healthy. Fourth, to avoid that dry, unhealthy look, don't wash your hair every day - it seems pretty basic, but if you know you're going to be causing damage in other ways, it doesn't hurt to skip using water - dry shampoo is a great alternative and as an added bonus, most give you pretty crazy volume.

Also, before you plan on using dye or bleach to alter your color, pamper it beforehand, that way it won't be as damaging. Best of luck!