PDA

View Full Version : Diluted Shampoo for Shedding......

yahirwaO.o
May 15th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I wonder guys if u have experienced with diluted shampoo and how it affects your shedding rate or other advantages.

I've been washin my hair every other day and it just feels a lot better for my oily scalp and hair after stretching failure. The shampoo used has SLS and I feel that my shedding rate is a bit better this way versus stretching, but still more than what I feel comfortable with.

Dont know if the problem has to be with manipulation while washing or how heavy sls are in my shampoo. Have read some other place that diluting helps with strong base surfactants being more gentle

Shoul I mix that dilute with something else?... I have some raw honey and want to give it a try.

Thank you all.

EdG
May 15th, 2015, 09:45 PM
I have never found any relationship between washing and shedding. Because I wash every 3-4 days, I get a lot of sheds right after washing, but if I were to wash more frequently, the total sheds would remain the same, just spread over more washes.

Diluting shampoo makes it less able to remove oils. It also makes it so that I don't need to do anything other than to dump a container of diluted shampoo over my head, and then rinse (I repeat this several times). I try not to handle my hair when wet because that leads to tangles.

I think diluting with water is fine. I keep a large plastic food container in the shower for that purpose.
Ed

Nadine <3
May 15th, 2015, 10:11 PM
I used to dilute my shampoo but I stopped out of laziness. Never noticed it affecting my shed rates, but it was gentler on my hair. I did find my hair got greasier faster this way though. My scalp likes a good thorough cleanse.

yahirwaO.o
May 15th, 2015, 11:25 PM
EDG I have a plastic cup too but more for my Vinegar rinses, which gives me very conditioned hair without weight down.

Nadine My hair also likes a good cleanse too, but I was on the egg washing method before and notice the biggest reduction of shedding in my life. If im not mistaken you try this method too, May I ask, how was your experience with it? I couldnt continue because my scalp wasnt getting clean anymore, my hair did was very clean but roots were oily still my shed was barely there.

Nadine <3
May 15th, 2015, 11:30 PM
EDG I have a plastic cup too but more for my Vinegar rinses, which gives me very conditioned hair without weight down.

Nadine My hair also likes a good cleanse too, but I was on the egg washing method before and notice the biggest reduction of shedding in my life. If im not mistaken you try this method too, May I ask, how was your experience with it? I couldnt continue because my scalp wasnt getting clean anymore, my hair did was very clean but roots were oily still my shed was barely there.

I LOVED eggs as shampoo, especially after adding peppermint oil. I found it got my hair very nice and clean and I was able to wash my hair that way for 6 months until I realized my scalp was pimply, red, and very unhappy. After a trip to the Dr I found out I have seborrheic dermatitis. Now I have to clean my scalp really well with sulfates to avoid making my scalp really angry, and I still need to use Nizoral every once in awhile. Eggs, where great though and if my scalp wasn't such a butt I would still be using them!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2015, 11:39 PM
I love using diluted shampoo - it distributes so much more easily and feels so much less stripping. It works out beautifully for washing twice a week. It doesn't seem to have any effects on shedding at all as far as I can tell. I just like that it is gentler on my hair.

yahirwaO.o
May 15th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Eggs, where great though and if my scalp wasn't such a butt I would still be using them!

LOL me too, the same exact time, 6 months and my scalp wasnt happy anymore, no pimples, red or SD, just ultra oily flat mess on top with those white flakes not drandruff that show bad on dark hair like mine. Once in a while the chalaza would get tangle too. I only used the yolk separated from the white.

Still it was totally worth it, my hair got very much voluminous (because my shedding was cut in half i guess) and every time I washed it, it felt like a deep treatment too.

... and this is why Im asking about the relation between sheddings rate and cleansing method... look forward to know more guys. :confused:

Mimha
May 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Hello Yahirwao !

I am a very very long user of diluted shampoo (I think I have been diluting since 30 year at least). I think there are only advantages of doing so :
- you need much less shampoo at a time
- you can apply the solution gradually : pour some, massage scalp, and pour some more again, etc. until it's reasonably foaming
- the solution is less harsh than pure shampoo applied directly
- you save both money... and water !

Personally, I only rub my scalp (very gently). Never my length. My length get cleaned just by the movement I do to help rinsing the foam away. I finish my rinsing with some ACV diluted into 1 l. of lukewarm water, to which I add essential oil of Rosmarinus, Lavender and Tea Tree.

Hair loss is very often linked to an unknown latent fungus problem. Itchy scalp is a sign. The very best way to get quick improvement is to drastically reduce the consumption of sugar (and starch stuff if you can), and apply rinses with a few drops of essential oils having antifungal properties. Huge and amazing result guaranteed !! But quite a lot of perseverance is needed to really have a long lasting effect. Indeed, as soon as you eat too much carbohydrates again, the fungus proliferates again because fungus is like us : it likes sugar !... and hair loss starts again too. A sugar free diet is life saving on many aspects : skins problems, over-weight, diabetes, and even nervous problem. I have experienced it on myself, and my hair thanks me every single day by it's healthy look ! :)

One of the most efficient essential oil against fungus is Oregano. But it smells strong (like pizza^^) and is rather irritative. So read a little bit about it before you give it a try. That's why I prefer smoother ones, among which lavender is one of the safest.

By the way, that's one of the reasons why Monistat is so popular : it's simply an antifungal !

aurorae
May 16th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Like others above,didnt notice any correlation between washing and shedding,as to the latter there are a number of things that affect it.It was way gentler on my hair as i have never bought a sulfate free shampoo.

spidermom
May 16th, 2015, 02:05 PM
I like diluting my shampoo and applying with a squirt bottle - so much easier than trying to get even spread over my scalp with a dollop of shampoo. I really don't see how washing method relates to increased or decreased shedding. The root has to shrink before the hair sheds out, and it's a process that occurs over days or even weeks, not instantly.

lapushka
May 16th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I used to dilute my shampoo but I stopped out of laziness. Never noticed it affecting my shed rates, but it was gentler on my hair. I did find my hair got greasier faster this way though. My scalp likes a good thorough cleanse.

Yep, same here. I can't dilute. I have SD and my scalp needs a good thorough cleanse.

Nique1202
May 16th, 2015, 02:55 PM
If you're not allergic to anything in your shampoo, diluting it will not improve shedding. There are a lot of people who have a lot of success with diluted shampoo for cleansing, but it will not affect shed rates either way. If you think you may be shedding more because of the shampoo you're using, try something else. If you shed less with a different shampoo, you may be allergic to something in your old one. If you don't shed less, then it's just your natural shed rate or the ingredient your scalp reacts to is in the new one, too.

yahirwaO.o
May 16th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Ok ladies and gentlemen I just got out of the shower, washed with diluted shampoo and now its dryin in a fishtail braid. I did it with water and tiny amount of honey. Followed with ACV rinse. My sheddind decrease a bit, but not very dramatic, my hair fees so far softer. And yes alot easier washing and rinsing this way.

Sarahlabyrinth Yes it's not as dry as it used to feel. My hair is already very silky, but now its softer.

Mimha Your response has some strong points that captured my attention. I remember my hair used to shed a lot less when it was shorter and used to wash everyday. Then as it got longer I started streaching and sheddin became more noticiable but I thought it was because of the lenght growing (made it to almost classic lenght but with impossible awful thin ends). A possible theory, my greasy scalp may have developed or helped create some fangus overthere. I had drandruff at some point but since I started Vinegar risnes 3 years ago, it just dissapared. Somehow I blame a bit my oly roots for pushing my scalp root bulb thus making it fall. I have a very healthy diet with lots of veggies and fruits, not really keen on artifial sweetners or surgars in general, but I do eat a lot of tortillas and bread (really I live in Mexico, hello LOL) so maybe I should try to eat less of that stuff. I know bread is not that nice anyways.

aurorae Thanks for sharing, but when I egg washed it my shedding rate became almost unexistant. So maybe its just me and my body the ones who seem to share a relationship between.

spidermom Yes I agree and know hair doesnt suddenly fall and thats it. But I believe some factors may disguise or reduce the rate (again me and my body)

Nique1202 Maybe going no poo may have turned me allergic to some shampoo ingredients. I kinda refused to believe this possibility because I had been washing with regular drugstore shampoos all my life before egss without any problem. So far I feel my hair is very cleaned, so dilute does seems to work in cleaning term And pretty much Im a costive person, so I have to finish with this shampoo before movin to another, or at least use it as a bath shower gel. LOL

yahirwaO.o
June 4th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Ok heres a very happy update so far, Ive been diluting with the same shampoo for about 3 weeks and the last 2 mixing it a tablespoon with mayan meliponine honey. My shedding has decreased so much about 60% sometimes 8o% compare to regular shampooing, even after brushing there is very few hairs.

Honey is pretty much like a miracle product to me in all aspects, not just hair. This one is the best I have tried so far, and yes my hair is also insanely smooth, shiney and conditioned. Diluting with water alone helped too, but now enhanced with honey seems to be just right for me. :):):)

alishaxmarie
July 28th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I agree with the OP! Ever since I got a bigger squirt bottle, my shampoo dilution is too strong and it's causing me to shed more than with my old squirt bottle :( I only dilute with water but maybe I'll try it out with honey sometime to see if that causes me to stop putting too much shampoo in the bottle, it couldn't hurt really. It's diving me crazy though because my scalp is getting soo dry from not being able to recreate the dilution that I've been using for the past year now.

meteor
July 28th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Diluting shampoo (in a separate squirt bottle) makes it a lot easier for me to distribute it and to get it absolutely everywhere with less effort, and I do notice that my washes are gentler and I pull out less hair inadvertently this way. Also, I sometimes use up my final rinse (if I've made too big a batch) by diluting my shampoo with it.

I rinse and repeat once or twice, so that gives me ample opportunity to check if I've really cleansed it properly. I notice I end up using less product but actually get more foaming and more cleansing power from it this way.

Whenever I am too lazy to dilute, I do notice a bit of a difference: slightly more stripped hair around the hairline (where I tend to put too much shampoo) and maybe even an oily spot somewhere in the back that I've missed. :lol:

yahirwaO.o
July 29th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I agree with the OP! Ever since I got a bigger squirt bottle, my shampoo dilution is too strong and it's causing me to shed more than with my old squirt bottle :( I only dilute with water but maybe I'll try it out with honey sometime to see if that causes me to stop putting too much shampoo in the bottle, it couldn't hurt really. It's diving me crazy though because my scalp is getting soo dry from not being able to recreate the dilution that I've been using for the past year now.

Why dont you try puttin a small amount of shampoo as you go with water and slowly add more into the mixture? give it a try to honey, it does seem to help with dryness r and maybe even before shampoing may help you the best. Some people have reported it sort cleand really well alone, some others like me wouldnt work at all. I use the smallest amount of shampoo, maybe one or two squirts of shampoo and does the clean job really well in a medium size plastic cup.

meteor That's a great idea, two or more times without feeling completly stripped. I only go once because I wash every other or every two days, and just one feels great. When I feel more greasy I go for a stronger shampoo without a dry mess.

alishaxmarie
July 29th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Why dont you try puttin a small amount of shampoo as you go with water and slowly add more into the mixture? give it a try to honey, it does seem to help with dryness r and maybe even before shampoing may help you the best. Some people have reported it sort cleand really well alone, some others like me wouldnt work at all. I use the smallest amount of shampoo, maybe one or two squirts of shampoo and does the clean job really well in a medium size plastic cup.

meteor That's a great idea, two or more times without feeling completly stripped. I only go once because I wash every other or every two days, and just one feels great. When I feel more greasy I go for a stronger shampoo without a dry mess.

Last time, the shampoo slipped out of the bottle too fast and the time before I basically made the wrong assumption of how much I would need for a bigger bottle but wash day isn't until Friday although I'm considering doing it tomorrow night instead :shrug: My scalp was bugging me so much yesterday that I went ahead and did an egg wash and now my scalp feels much better. I think I need less castor oil in my scalp massage oil blend (just sesame and castor oils for now) since castor can be drying according to the OCM thread. I plan to buy some grapeseed oil the next time I go to Publix or Walmart (hopefully we'll go to good ole Wally World since it's cheaper there for the same exact bottle). Grapeseed oil is supposed to be great for moisturizing the scalp and I also plan to use it for oil cleansing my face and sealing moisture into my length. Hopefully my scalp's moisture balance improves over the next couple of washes though...

henné
July 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM
My scalp is way too sensitive and fickle to be able to handle full-on shampoo. It gets dried out and starts flaking/crusting and it's just such a pain in the neck, so I *have* to dilute and it works just fine for me.

I'm sure that if your scalp is happier, even your shedding will be less - if for some reason you shed more because of unhappy scalp due to full-strength shampoo. Man, that was a fun sentence. :rollin: