PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting through a shed, birth control woes, and hair changes

nikolette
May 15th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I had to stop taking my birth control 6 weeks ago prior to a surgery (which I didn't have). About 2 weeks ago I noticed my hair began to shed a lot. At first I didn't think anything of it, because we all have heavier shed days. But then it continued.... A lightbulb went off that it must have been from stopping my birth control for 6 weeks (I just started my period 4 days ago and began taking the birth control again). So, not sure if the shedding will subside quickly because I am back on the pill, or if it is from another cause (stress? traumatic event? I had gotten into an accident back in beginning of February which totally ended with 3 weeks of anxiety.) Whatever the case, does anyone have some tips about getting through a shed?

Hair washing? More? Less?
Brushing? to brush or not to brush?
Products?

I am in the dark here, counting hairs, wondering how to treat my hair!

On a side note, I have also noticed that my individual hair strands have started to become much thinner. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I noticed this months ago. Some ideas on why this could be?
My hopeful suspicion is that it is because I stopped coloring my hair and using any heat on it.... which could make your hair appear thicker because it is coated/damaged?
Or is there something else I should be looking out for?

If it matters, I have no family history of hair thinning or hair loss. I am under 30, healthy.....

Any stories, advice from you wonderful ladies will be greatly appreciated!

CoveredByLove
May 15th, 2015, 08:47 AM
nikolette, This happened to me after getting off BC. It's normal to have a hair shed 1-2 months afterwards, just like a postpartum hair shed. I sympathize with you, because this happened to me, found out I was expecting around that time, then had a major postpartum hair shed after the birth, then shed AGAIN four months after that due to postpartum thyroid issues. Needless to say, my hair got very thin. BUT slowly it has been improving and catching up to its normal volume. It will get better and your hair will grow back! Just be patient. :) The shedding should stop soon now that you are back on the pill. I wouldn't necessarily change anything in your routine. Maybe just incorporate some scalp massages, good vitamin regimen, eat a balanced diet, and keep stress levels to a minimum. :grouphug:

As far as the individual hair looking thinner...I haven't a clue. But I do know that hair dye and such do play a role in making the hairs look and feel thicker.

ExpectoPatronum
May 15th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Going from my own experience, it could be the fact you stopped your birth control. When I went on it, my shedding improved. Then I got lazy and stopped taking it regularly and my shedding returned.

I say if it doesn't slow down after taking your birth control for a month or so, then maybe look at other options. It doesn't make sense to try changing a bunch of things at once to figure it out. You'll never figure out the cause that way.

If it's the BC or stress, it'll slow down on its own soon enough :)

nikolette
May 17th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Coveredbylove & expecto thank for for the helpful words. It's nice to hear from people who went through the same thing.As for my shedding, it's still happening... I counted about 100 hairs a day which I know is in the "normal" range but it's not normal for me. My day to day is trying to keep myself calm cool and collected since I know panicking does nothing. Just waiting for this to subsIde. I read something a bit disturbing, saying if the individual strands appears smaller it's because the hair follicle is shrinking and eventually will die.... I.e. female pattern baldness. I'm trying to not psych myself out here because I'm 27 and no women on my family have this. I'm wondering, does anyone out there have experience with this?