PDA

View Full Version : Not getting professional haircuts

picklepie
May 15th, 2015, 01:59 AM
So, I read all the hairdresser- and salon-related threads with interest, partly because I can count on three of the fingers of one hand how many times I've been to a professional for a haircut, and all of those experiences were more than half a lifetime ago. I have *always* cut my own hair... or, when I was a kid, my mom cut/trimmed it. Going to the salon those three times were framed as enormous treats, or as special transformative experiences. Which they were! But not in a good way.

My parents had a kind of frugal lifestyle, hippies living off the land and whatnot. So hair-cutting was a homestead skill like kneading bread or fixing the truck. I still kind of feel that way, like paying for haircuts is kind of on the level of paying someone to clean your house-- sure, it would be nice (though they'd never do it just the way you wanted!), but it's not worth the money if things are tight and you're physically able. It seems just a tiny bit bizarre that so many people do pay for haircuts, and regularly!

Anybody else a sa a lifelong home-haircutter, marveling at this huge industry that exists in a world you never visit?

elsieivy
May 15th, 2015, 02:37 AM
I think my last professional hair cut was when I was eleven. I'm in my late twenties now. My mom cut my hair for me when I lived at home and now I cut it myself. I can see why it makes sense to go to a professional for a short or heavily styled cut but for fairly simple stuff I'd rather just do it at home.

Theobroma
May 15th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Anybody else a sa a lifelong home-haircutter, marveling at this huge industry that exists in a world you never visit?

Me, definitely. I've been to the salon a grand total of twice in my entire life, once to chop from classic to APL at twelve and then to pixie it about a year later. But I hated the pixie and grew it straight out again, and it's stayed long ever since. At first my mom trimmed it for me when necessary, and later I learned how to do it myself, so I've never had any need for a stylist.

Hairdressers and salons and "professional" cuts are so far outside my range of experience that I have to admit I get slightly weirded out by most women's willingness to invest so much time and money into that stuff! :D

Hairkay
May 15th, 2015, 04:18 AM
I've never been to a hair salon in my life. I can't see myself changing that.

Crystawni
May 15th, 2015, 04:42 AM
My hubby and kids (and a few family members and friends) have this experience, and still wait until they see me for trims/cuts/styles even though the kids are now grown. I did treat my eldest girl to the hairdresser for her 16th birthday, but that's the only time she's had it cut by someone else. The hairdresser even thought her hair'd been trimmed by a pro previously (I've been cutting hair for others since I was 15--self-trained). Daughter wasn't overly impressed by her pro-cut, so yeah, I'm it. As for me, I rarely went to a hairdresser or barber: it was more a thing for me in the 80s (perms, highlights/streaks, etc.), but I really hated the experience most times, as well as the outcome. Now, I self-trim.

lapushka
May 15th, 2015, 04:54 AM
My mom has learned to cut her own hair and mine a while ago. She would return disappointed from salons many a time, not in the sixties and seventies when she had a good hairdresser to go to, but that one moved to Paris (a very promising hair dresser). Then later came the perms (which she did at home) and the hair dyeing, which she did at home, and then she learned to cut it herself. And for me it's just a whack across a ponytail, so not difficult. ;)

Chromis
May 15th, 2015, 05:33 AM
I cut my own. Anytime friends talk about how much their haircuts cost I sit there quietly in shock. Each of their cuts costs as much as a nice hairtoy or some great yarn! Plus I have never had good experiences with hairdressers (I know there are good ones out there, I just haven't met them and it seems rather expensive and potentially hair damaging to keep trying.)

Rosetta
May 15th, 2015, 05:49 AM
So, I read all the hairdresser- and salon-related threads with interest, partly because I can count on three of the fingers of one hand how many times I've been to a professional for a haircut, and all of those experiences were more than half a lifetime ago. I have *always* cut my own hair... or, when I was a kid, my mom cut/trimmed it. Going to the salon those three times were framed as enormous treats, or as special transformative experiences. Which they were! But not in a good way.

My parents had a kind of frugal lifestyle, hippies living off the land and whatnot. So hair-cutting was a homestead skill like kneading bread or fixing the truck. I still kind of feel that way, like paying for haircuts is kind of on the level of paying someone to clean your house-- sure, it would be nice (though they'd never do it just the way you wanted!), but it's not worth the money if things are tight and you're physically able. It seems just a tiny bit bizarre that so many people do pay for haircuts, and regularly!
This is so interesting to hear, as my parents were the complete opposite to yours... (Unfortunately, from my point of view.) So I was regularly taken to hairdresser's as a kid, even to have perms - because in my mother's opinion only curly or curled hair looks nice! And she herself *loves* going to hairdressers. But as I grew up I ended up more and more different from my parents' world, and now I haven't been to hairdresser for around 12 years, and view them the same way as you...

An interesting comparison btw, that paying for haircuts is like paying someone to clean your house :) (Can I use that, if situation demands? ;)) As that's totally different from how the vast majority of people see it - it's something you simply *must* regularly do, no other option... Like a doctor's checkup, but way more frequent!

RavennaNight
May 15th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty frugal with that sort of stuff too, I always saw haircuts as luxury expense. Same with getting nails done. when people talk about getting hair cuts so often, I always wonder where they get the money from to do that. Priorities, I guess. If I need to trim, I trim my own. Although, right now all I do is S&D.... Actually, it's that time I should go do that...

lapushka
May 15th, 2015, 06:08 AM
My aunt still goes to the hairdresser (it's impossible to do it herself). She spends about 120 euros every three months on highlights and a cut. She's been to many different hairdressers but some mess up the color really badly. I think it's a lot for highlights and a cut, but who am I? That's just the prices out there, isn't it?

Nique1202
May 15th, 2015, 06:44 AM
When I had shorter hair, above my shoulders, I would'nt cut it myself except once. I often had layers and thinning and stuff, and the one time I tried to trim it myself the results were... frankly horrific. Now that it's long, though, the feye/compact cut style of cutting a ponytail makes it so easy, and long hair costs more to get professionally cut even if you just want a simple trim, so why wouldn't I cut it at home? Get a nice pair of scissors and off you go.

spidermom
May 15th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Going to a stylist is a luxury we can't afford right now, which is fine.

As far as having someone else clean my house; it was heaven! Not only did she far exceed my expectations, but she was so fast! That's a luxury I wish I could afford to reinstate.

lilin
May 15th, 2015, 07:07 AM

Kind of! During my childhood, it was kind of 50/50. My hair mostly got trimmed at home, because for most of the first half of my childhood, that's all that was ever being done to it. Trims are simple, especially if you've got another person to do it.

I went to places like Great Clips a few times, mostly for big chops. That was pretty much it.

The last time I paid for a haircut was over 7 years ago, and I doubt I ever well again. It does strike me as odd that so many of us have been brought up to believe we're incapable of managing our own scalp growth! It's just weird, the way we don't feel empowered to touch our own hair. And I sort of felt like that too, since I had never cut it myself -- just my parents and the professionals.

I sort of "get" nice men's barbershops -- it's their equivalent of going to a nail salon and getting your hands and feet massaged for a mani/pedi. It's a luxury, basically. And I sort of get why people go for dying and texture changes, complex styles -- that stuff's hard to do well by yourself. But most people aren't doing that, or not often. Mostly, they're getting trims despite how simple it is to do at home. The hair industry is yet another one that has done a great job of inventing a purpose for itself...

I won't be going back. I've gotten good at lots of different cuts at almost every length. I absolutely hate dye, and I'm certainly never getting a perm or relaxer. So, no need.

lunalocks
May 15th, 2015, 07:27 AM
I had one professional haircut as a child. it was a disaster. My hair was at waist but some how my mother convinced me that short hair would be a good idea. It wasn't. My next trim (and perm) was a gift from my mom when I was 22. I loved the waves so much I had my hair professionally cut and permed for the next 8 years. Then had it cut to my ears to grow the perm out. Going to the salon was a treat. Yes, expensive. But it did make me feel special. And after a major health crisis 11 years ago with 2 hospital says and surgery recovery, my hair was a mess. A magical woman magically came into my life at that time, who I refer to as my hair guru. She used organic products and had long hair herself. She is the only one who has ever taken just a quarter inch off when I asked. She taught me so much, convinced me I could reach my then goal of waist and literally saved my hair. I haven't been to a pro, now, for over 2 years. Just s and d. When I do start to trim to maintain, I will do it myself. I'm done with salons. I have cut my DHs hair for the past 20 years and boy has that saved us a lot of money. I carefully watched a professional give him a haircut and learned from that. I do a pretty good job. For DD it was a combination. She's in college and now she gets a pro trim twice a year. She trims her own bangs. I think she gained the confidence from watching me do mine.

chen bao jun
May 15th, 2015, 07:36 AM
My dad always cut mine before my mom got the bright idea that I 'needed' to have my hair straightened. Then the hair dresser would automatically trim it after straightening it. I don't know why I accepted this as a necessity. Possibly because the straightening was already so traumatic that it didn't seem to matter?

I never in my life went to a hairdresser for a haircut alone, it always went along with the straightening, a couple of times they gave me not just the usual so called trim(3 inches) but an actual cut into a style without beiIng asked.

I think of hairdressers like most people think of dentists.

I used to be provoked that my husband wouldn't trim my hair, like my dad but now I d ont care as I don't trim anymore, just s and d.

I have been to a men's barber twice and that is where I would do if I felt the need for a trim. $5 and 1/8 of an inch and no trauma and pressure.

embee
May 15th, 2015, 08:53 AM
My hair is straight. For my mom, I *needed* curls. So as a small child I was getting salon perms - heat waves. :( Oh the stink of the chemicals and the burned hair! Ugh.

I tried a home perm once. Disaster. The chemicals really messed up the bathroom cabinets where it spattered onto them (but I did not see that until after that damage was done... )

Had a salon perm a couple times after my kids were born, but they didn't stay, they fell straight within a week or two, and the money for them was way high.

Used to get trims to about shoulder length, but last one was in maybe 1990.

Then there was no money, so my hair grew and I kept it in a ponytail. Last cut was by me, myself, in 2005, and a disaster. Not planning on doing that again. S&D every now and then, fairytale ends for easy updo styles. :)

lunalocks
May 15th, 2015, 09:05 AM
What is it with moms and curls? This was in the 60s and my mom pin curled my hair every night. I remember a few home perms, too. It took me years to embrace my stick straight hair, and then it started to wave on it's own. Getting wavier every year. Menopause, I think. No other explanation. The lesson is to love what you have.

cathair
May 15th, 2015, 09:08 AM
My Mum used to cut mine with dress making scissors most of the time. I can remember going to get my hair at a salon twice.

Once when I was 6 or 7. I remember they did extensions too. I asked my Mum how they glued strands of hair together at the ends so you couldn't see the join. I assumed they had to add new hair to each strand individually! My Mum didn't know how they did them either and wouldn't ask. I think I was embarrassing her and she wanted me to shut up :D

The second time was a big chop when I was 12. It was awful. I took in a picture of a straight bob like Victoria Beckham and asked them if they could do that to my hair. They said they could and I came out with frizzy triangle head. Then I cried a lot and fought with my Mum.

Never went again after that. Been to a barbers a couple of times. She's very good, she also has long hair. She charges very little and always takes off just what you ask. Although she did talk me into feathering the front a little bit the last time I went. Will be 6 years since I went there last this summer.

Breanna
May 15th, 2015, 09:08 AM
This is so interesting to hear, as my parents were the complete opposite to yours... (Unfortunately, from my point of view.) So I was regularly taken to hairdresser's as a kid, even to have perms - because in my mother's opinion only curly or curled hair looks nice! And she herself *loves* going to hairdressers. But as I grew up I ended up more and more different from my parents' world, and now I haven't been to hairdresser for around 12 years, and view them the same way as you...

An interesting comparison btw, that paying for haircuts is like paying someone to clean your house :) (Can I use that, if situation demands? ;)) As that's totally different from how the vast majority of people see it - it's something you simply *must* regularly do, no other option... Like a doctor's checkup, but way more frequent!

I'm like you, my mom LOVES going to get her hair done and all my haircuts and trims when I was young were done by hairdressers. But I'm not very much like my mom, I'm closer to the frugal hippie side like Picklepie's parents lol. I haven't gotten my hair cut by someone else since some time pre-LHC and I definitely don't see myself ever doing it again, there's simply no need at all.

cathair
May 15th, 2015, 09:10 AM
What is it with moms and curls? This was in the 60s and my mom pin curled my hair every night. I remember a few home perms, too. It took me years to embrace my stick straight hair, and then it started to wave on it's own. Getting wavier every year. Menopause, I think. No other explanation. The lesson is to love what you have.

Not sure :/ When I was very small Gran always used to say 'eat your crusts, it will make your hair curl'. Used to make me cry, I like eating crusts, but didn't want curly hair.

emilia1992
May 15th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I've never been to a hairdresser, ever. My mum cut my hair when I was younger, though she wasn't a professional, and now I do my own.

PalomaSincera
May 15th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I've always gotten my hair professionally cut. Always. And I could never change that. I have a lot of hair, and it's amazing what a good haircut with layers can do. It changes everything. If I didn't have nice layers, my hair would be cone shaped or if I did the layers myself (impossible), the layers would look chopped. Nobody can deny what a good professional haircut can do for your entire appearance.
I try to only cut my hair when I visit Spain because they cut way better over there.

Sorry, you weren't calling upon me to answer but I really wanted to share my thoughts on this.

lapushka
May 15th, 2015, 09:55 AM
I've always gotten my hair professionally cut. Always. And I could never change that. I have a lot of hair, and it's amazing what a good haircut with layers can do. It changes everything. If I didn't have nice layers, my hair would be cone shaped or if I did the layers myself (impossible), the layers would look chopped. Nobody can deny what a good professional haircut can do for your entire appearance.
I try to only cut my hair when I visit Spain because they cut way better over there.

Sorry, you weren't calling upon me to answer but I really wanted to share my thoughts on this.

Maybe you'll feel differently when you want to grow longer and your hairdresser keeps cutting your growth off. ;)

missrandie
May 15th, 2015, 10:14 AM
My mom trimmed my hair for me up til the age of 14, when I went to the local stylist for the first time. "Trim" wound up being 8 inches of gentle fairy tails into an extremely blunt BSL. I despised it, and so got layers. It went like that from there.

I haven't cut my own hair ever, not even in S & D. But, I had my pixie for nearly 3 years and immensely enjoyed my monthly cuts. I think I may have used them as a way to deal with school stress, honestly. Never had the confidence to try to do my pixie myself.

Now, though, thanks to the LHC, I'm not so afraid of my hair scissors. As I grow out, I just might start forgoing the salon!

cat11
May 15th, 2015, 11:25 AM
My mother used to work at a salon so she cut our entire family's hair. When I has a teen and she wouldnt do what I wanted because she didnt like it I went somewhere else for awhile buthave since gone back to her. She's doing what I ask now...lol

spidermom
May 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Speaking of moms and perms, my best friend when I was in around 4-8th grade or so had to get a "brillo pad" perm every year before school started. Her grandmother insisted and did so much to help the family that my friend's parents insisted that she make her grandma happy. She was so happy to reach the age where they could no longer force that awful perm on her.

Nadine <3
May 15th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I went to a salon growing up because I just assumed that's what you did, and I didn't trust my mom anywhere near my head with sharp objects (same goes for hot curling irons...she messed up my bangs and burned my ears and I'm not stupid enough to let her do it twice!)

Anyways, growing up my mom took me to have my hair cut and they always messed it up. Then I found LHC and saw people where cutting their hair by themselves and I wasted no time in getting a nice shears and learning to do it myself. I haven't been to a hairdresser in 2 years and I don't plan on ever going again! It's expensive and I never walk out happy so why would I even want to.

Ephemia
May 15th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I've never been to a hairdresser in my life, though I'm not sure why as my mum used to take my sister when she was small. It might have been because I hated having my hair washed when I was a very small child, because of the water in my face, and perhaps she thought it would be better to just trim it herself. I've refused to let her for the last five years, though. I'm severely tonsurephobic. I'm hoping I'll be able to start trimming it myself one day, but for now I'm trying to get rid of five years' worth of split ends.

Althea1984
May 15th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I've been to the hairdressers a handful of times and it's always with anxiety because I don't know if I'm explaining what I want right. My mom used to cut my hair when I was younger but one time (I was 13) she thought giving me a mullet would be fun, she has since been banned from doing anything to my hair besides looking at it

endlessly
May 15th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I don't personally feel like I can ever trust hair stylists, so that's why I very sporadically visit salons. I've had so many awful experiences with stylists who have their own agenda in mind versus what I want, that it's honestly not even worth the time, money, or the frustration anymore. For example, I had a really awful botched haircut several years back and I've been struggling to grow it out for nearly 5 years. I was finally able to cut my hair to one length this past March and I did have to go to a salon for that, but I really don't see myself visiting one in the future. She was rude, spent most of the time trying to push her products on me, and kept trying to suggest that I should try a different style. The real kicker for me is whenever a stylist hears that you want to grow your hair out longer and they immediately rush to tell you that you need to come in "every 6-8 weeks to get your hair to grow" when everyone here knows that's utter b.s.

Darrin
May 15th, 2015, 01:58 PM

I am lucky that I have a trusted stylist. She likes my long hair and does a good job keeping the ends trimmed. She suggests that I trim every 6 months if needed. I am trying to determine a final goal length. My hair is currently at the top of my jeans.

Darrin

EmmAutumn
May 15th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I remember going to a kids salon when i was little, where the stylists were known to be able to calm down nervous kids and entertain them so they would sit still. Now that i think of it, those were the only truly good experiences i ever had at a salon. When i got a little older my mom used to cut it and i liked that, especially because she knew to be gentle with the brush. She pretty much always did the same straight across cut, but that was perfectly fine with me.
As a teen i went to the salon a few times as a treat, but there was always something wrong with it - the cut, the way i was treated, etc. The last time i had my hair cut by a pro was about 2 years ago. I needed a big chop because i fried my hair when bleaching out henna (i know... but i enjoyed the platinum blonde for a while before the damage became too much to deal with). I went to a rather cheap salon (should've known better...) and asked that they cut my hair to shouder length. Well, there was nothing wrong with the length... but because she curled it and put a ton of product in it i only realised post wash that the (layered) cut was totally wonky and uneven.
I remember being flabbergasted for a moment ("but this is what they DO!!") but then my BF suggested i go with him to his barber to get it fixed. The experience there was like a breath of fresh air honestly. The guy was gentle with my hair, did exactly what i asked and charged less than half the price i was used to.
Now my hair is long enough to easily cut by myself i use Feye's method, it makes no sense to me to spend money on such a simple cut only to risk them messing up your hair.
However, if i ever want to go back to a pro that barber is the first on my list :)

HintOfMint
May 15th, 2015, 07:52 PM

I feel exactly this way. And the proof is in the pudding, I currently have no layers in my hair and it's a thick, wavy, blunt nightmare.

Lots of people eff up cutting their own hair, probably proportionally as much of a percentage as those who have bad experiences with hairdressers. If you only want a simple cut, great, more power to you. But not every hair type (or personal preference) can be taken care of with self-cuts.

Maybe you'll feel differently when you want to grow longer and your hairdresser keeps cutting your growth off. ;)

Maybe she will, maybe she'll have good luck with hairdressers who respect her wishes. I'm fairly lucky (I scour Yelp like a hawk) and so I have yet to feel that way about hairdressers even though my hair is about tailbone length.

Quixii
May 15th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I've never had my hair professionally cut. My mom did it when I was younger, and then I took over.

I have to admit, it does surprise me a bit that so many people here do get professional cuts. I suppose I just don't know what I'm missing.

EdG
May 15th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Having to go to the barbers every two months as a young person scarred me for life.

When I started growing my hair at age 25, I was elated that I could trim it myself. No more barbers!

Now, I am completely trim-free. Realizing that hair never needs to be cut is the ultimate nirvana. :meditate:
Ed

yahirwaO.o
May 15th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Having to go to the barbers every two months as a young person scarred me for life.

When I started growing my hair at age 25, I was elated that I could trim it myself. No more barbers!

Now, I am completely trim-free. Realizing that hair never needs to be cut is the ultimate nirvana. :meditate:
Ed

I can totally get you on the every two months as a kid, it was traumatic for me too. Long hair is just easier, but I cant live without trimming my hair, otherwise it can get quite thin and sparse which on me Im not keen on.

picklepie
May 16th, 2015, 12:28 AM
So fascinating to read everyone's experiences! I'm thinking back and feeling so grateful to all the friends and family members who let me cut their hair as I was learning (really just teaching myself)-- so many hair types, so many styles. It was really fun. And I only rarely had a real disaster! And by the time I had my own kids, I was an expert. My husband hasn't had a professional haircut since 1997. My kids have never been. I can't imagine how much money we've saved!

As to cutting my own hair, I have a good hair type for it. I can cut it dry, curl-by-curl, and see how it's shaping up easily in the mirror. Thinking about how fun that is, I almost miss my inverted bob! Now I just S&D and I imagine I'm getting rusty in the self-hair-cut department.

longsword
May 17th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I haven't gotten a professional haircut since 2007. That was right before I went to Iraq and had my hair chopped to a pixie style.

surruh
May 17th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Close to three years I think since my last professional cut. Sooo glad I am not spending my money on that anymore. I used to get my hair coloured and usually trimmed every 8 weeks or so, and I went to a decently pricey salon.
I can see spending the money if you want a complicated cut, or maybe if you have very thick hair. But for me, my hair is thin and especially now, tapered due to bleach damage, so it seems insane to me to spend 50 for someone to trim a tiny bit of hair, and trim my bangs!

Silverbrumby
May 17th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I haven't been to the salon for 10 years. I can also do my own professional color foils precisely timing the processing to get just a touch of highlighted color where i want it.

My oldest son has only had me cut his hair. My youngest enjoys going to the barber.

EdG
May 17th, 2015, 08:46 PM
I can totally get you on the every two months as a kid, it was traumatic for me too. I think that experience is not uncommon among long-haired men. It is the reason why long-haired men are so adamant about having long hair.

Long hair is just easier, but I cant live without trimming my hair, otherwise it can get quite thin and sparse which on me Im not keen on.Have patience, young grasshopper. :meditate:
Ed

Alex Lou
May 18th, 2015, 01:10 AM
I've certainly cut my hair myself more often then I've gone to a professional stylist. And I'm more often satisfied with the haircuts I give myself. I do lots of other things myself that other people pay for.. like home repairs and upgrades, things like painting and putting in new sinks, doors, floors. Most people don't have the skills and grew up in households where you pay someone else to do these things.

However, a good cut from a stylist, like the one I got recently is better than what I could do myself. Problem is initially finding the stylist that will give you a cut that you like. I was just thinking today that this is probably my first professional cut in 15 years that I've liked. I've often thought that seeking a professional cut is not worth the risk of gambling on a stylist you haven't seen before.

jupiterinleo
May 18th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Ah, I'm sort of a lifelong home haircutter. We had a family friend who is a hairdresser that would come to our house and cut our hair. It was cheap and we never had to leave the house. :D

That said, I've only been to an actual salon probably 3 times. I've been cutting my own hair for the past few years.

merekivi
May 18th, 2015, 11:24 PM
The last time I went to a salon was 7 years ago. So I'm not a lifelong home haircutter, but after my mother stopped taking me to the hairdresser, I simply didn't go anymore. Instead, I trim my hair myself.

One thing I'd actually love to try is a "natural" hair salon focused on long hair. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything like that in my town, but if there were, I think I'd even give it a try, even though I'm definitely not a fan of salons otherwise. :)

Olavi
May 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
The last time I went to a salon was in 2011, and before that I didn't go often as I was experimenting with self cut (not always with good results, but my hair was short and grew quickly). I have ever went to one salon, so when I moved to different city I just stopped going. Now I self trim and cut exclusively.

gwenalyn
May 19th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I go to a salon every so often to freshen up the face-framing layers and the bangs. I cut my bangs myself in between. I basically agree with others here. A good salon cut is way better than I could ever do myself, a bad salon cut is traumatizing, and I can do an acceptable cut at home. It's all about being clear with the stylist and reading the reviews. (I should note that I have straight-straight hair, which is "easy" hair to cut, so I've had fewer awful salon cuts than many here.)

Rosetta
May 29th, 2015, 02:10 AM
Moms and curls, exactly! ;) I don't know, maybe it's that certain generation was brought up to think only curled hair looks nice - people born on or before the 1950's? (Though me and my mom are of a younger generation than you, but still.)
Anyway, here's hoping menopause will bring curlier hair to me, too - though I have accepted what I have, but it would make a nice change! ;)

Hmm, I really can't believe there's any magic involved in who wields the scissors... Yes, layers can enhance the appearance, but layers can be cut yourself if you know how, no "professional" needed.

It does strike me as odd that so many of us have been brought up to believe we're incapable of managing our own scalp growth! It's just weird, the way we don't feel empowered to touch our own hair. And I sort of felt like that too, since I had never cut it myself -- just my parents and the professionals.
-snip-
The hair industry is yet another one that has done a great job of inventing a purpose for itself...
Exactly. And like you said it's not only in haircare, but in so many other areas of life, too. We're brainwashed to think we need someone else to do things, when we can just as well do & think all that for ourselves - examples like personal trainers, beauty salons, not to mention nail salons...

unicornlady
May 29th, 2015, 03:41 AM

I can totally relate.

Not so much because of money, but because of difficulty to find a hairdresser that cut your hair the way you want and my unwillingness to risk a very probable trauma. I've had my hair "professionally" cut few times, not counting when I was a kid and had no voting power. After a severe trauma when I was 15, not that it was first but it was the worst, when a hairdresser gave me a horrible short tapered haircut totally unrelated by any means to a long bob that I showed her in a magazine, I stayed away from mirrors for months so I dont have to look at what she made of me and cried like a rain. I cut my hair into a bob myself using ponytail method since.

I am puzzled as to why women subject themselves to that. I've heard many complain how hairdressers did something like this to them, or chopped their hip length hair to shoulder length without asking, and yet they keep going there!

It is also a nice bonus to invest into your haircare instead of wasting all that money, actually worse than wasting, paying to get frustrated and get usually something ugly and horrible. I totally see how people with short hair do need a hairdresser but I have no idea why people who need a flat kind of trim go there.

hairhair
May 29th, 2015, 04:39 AM
I can see why people go to hairdressers for shorter cuts, because the "style" is so important and you can really muck it up (and then not be left with much hair with which to even it up!). This is actually a strong argument that long hair (not necessarily super-long, but pony-tail-able) is cheaper. But since learning about self-trimming, I doubt I'll ever go to a hairdresser again just to get my long hair trimmed.

ETA: I also understand that for many older people, going to the hairdresser can be a really positive, social thing. Some apparently go every week just to get their hair washed, either due to difficulties doing it themselves or just for the massage experience of having someone touch their hair. Aaaaaw...

Federica
May 29th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I always wanted long hair since I was a child, my mother used to bring me to a salon for trims twice a year (she was always afraid to mess it up doing it on her own), but since young age I was utterly afraid of hairdressers (much more than doctors, for example) because they always cutted too much for me.
When I was a teen I did go to a salon, and walked out unhappy, a couple of times to get trims or coloring my hair, but it was so unconfortable for me to let someone cut it and so expensive that I quitted.
Since the age of 16 I always cutted/dyed my own hair with great results and went to a salon just once to make a full head bleaching (which destroyed my classic/FTL hair) and after that horrible mistake of mine I don't ever plan to ever going again.

BTW, semi-related: I don't know what's the habit around other countries, but here in northern Italy every girl/woman goes to a beautician to have a wax done likely every month since the age of 13-14 or so.
I never ever been in such a place, I've always had my body hair done by myself at home, as well as the nails, and this always surprises people that think that "common people" is unable to do such hand work.
But I mean, of course at the age of 13 I wasn't so good at doing my eyebrows, but nobody teached me and after a couple of tries I learnt by experience.
It is really not so difficult to rip off your body hair with a wax, man.
And I would never pay 50euros to have a stranger to do it for me.

unicornlady
May 29th, 2015, 02:10 PM
ETA: I also understand that for many older people, going to the hairdresser can be a really positive, social thing. Some apparently go every week just to get their hair washed, either due to difficulties doing it themselves or just for the massage experience of having someone touch their hair. Aaaaaw...

Well said. I hope this thread does not turn into condemnation of people who enjoy using cosmetic and hairdresser services. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

Betazed
May 29th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I finally worked up enough courage to give myself a trim. I'm the opposite of OP, the only time scissors came near my hair was at a salon. The only experience with non-professional cuts I had was when I ruined my bangs as a teenager. After much research on the almighty interweb, I used Feye's method and I'm very happy with the results. I'll probably still go to a salon when it's time to trim my bangs but other than that, I'll stick to doing it myself.

When I told my gramma that I cut my own hair, she completely freaked. She made me take my bun down to prove to her that I didn't "muck up [my] beautiful hair"! Life long salon cuts make one believe only those who went to cosmetology school can cut hair without screwing it up, I guess?

Sunny_side_up
May 30th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Theres a lady at work who regularly goes to the hair dresser to keep her slightly layered bob neat, i think its like two months between cuts. She likes to tell my work mate to sort out her edgy, choppy,long-ish pixie quite alot, my friend goes every 3 months and pays £30
but since buying a house, she let it grow for about 5 months and got no end of nagging from the lady( once in the changing room noticed my hair down- passin shoulder it was, but just said "its getting long" )think she likes to hassle my wrk mate!

I can count on 1 hand the times i have been to a hairdresser, i liked the results,all choppy shoulder grazing styles, then after a couple weeks think i want to grow it out, get regular small trims done by my ma and even it all up :D not been to one for a few years now.

woolyleprechaun
May 30th, 2015, 01:35 AM
I've never understood the hairdresser hype. I went maybe 2 or three times in my childhood for major (hideous) cuts. Other than that, my mom would trim my fringe sometimes. I went once as an adult, but only to correct a bleach disaster that I couldn't sort at home. My mom and I both self trim (she maintains a pixie) and my little girls have never been to a hairdressers either, as I trim them when needed. Funnily enough, I do take my sons to the barbers; the quiffy little styles they like are beyond my skill, and its reasonable at £8 each. Barbers just feel more relaxed and pleasant than hairdressers, and rarely have that pervasive fried-hair-bleach-and-hairspray odour.

vpatt
June 2nd, 2015, 07:16 PM
I have cut my own hair since I was a teen with visits to a salon thrown in from time to time. Most of those visits were when my hair was at its shortest....but I cut it myself sometimes even when it was short. I'm not saying I did the best job when it was short but it wasn't the worst either. My older daughter showed me how she cuts her waist length hair so I do mine that way now.

hennalonghair
June 2nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
Nope! Nope ! Nope! Nope! Nope!
Nooooooooope!
Nooooooooope!

JadedByEntropy
June 2nd, 2015, 08:01 PM
I have to admit I get slightly weirded out by most women's willingness to invest so much time and money into that stuff! :D

me too! Definitely.

I've always been a fan of major chops and home haircuts. I took off one ponytail when i was little myself... proudly. Then had 14" off at home @11 to a bob to my mother's horror. My white-blond was instantly mousy-brown.

When i did go to get a pixie, at around 13, the woman actually told me she would only cut the right side in the eerily non-descriptive way she was set on doing it in choppy layers, and i would be allowed to "then decide if she could touch the other half, and make it match." :confused: Like, what choice did i have?!?!? She did it anyway, and while i liked it short, it in no way looked like a cut any girl should have. or a boy. it was awful.

two more donated chops of 12 and 10" and then i discovered the compact cut, only without the ponytail and at arms length. haha

I chopped all my self-imposed layers off since. I've only had one good stylist, and even then, she didn't listen when i wanted a small trim because i was growing a bob...it became 4" off. -.- half a year that set me back, because i haven't done anything but microtrim my own since.

Rosetta
June 4th, 2015, 02:22 AM
BTW, semi-related: I don't know what's the habit around other countries, but here in northern Italy every girl/woman goes to a beautician to have a wax done likely every month since the age of 13-14 or so.
I never ever been in such a place, I've always had my body hair done by myself at home, as well as the nails, and this always surprises people that think that "common people" is unable to do such hand work.
But I mean, of course at the age of 13 I wasn't so good at doing my eyebrows, but nobody teached me and after a couple of tries I learnt by experience.
It is really not so difficult to rip off your body hair with a wax, man.
And I would never pay 50euros to have a stranger to do it for me.
Oh my... Just reading that looking like this > :eek:... The lengths people go to! ;) Thankfully that's not usual over here. And like I wrote earlier, I'm a big believer in not having things done to you that you can do yourself.

Btw, have to say I love your hairdo in your signature picture! :)

eva888
June 4th, 2015, 03:08 AM
I have gone back and forth between using hairdressers and self-cutting! I always get a lot of pressure from my mom to go to a hairdresser and "look professional." She goes on a regular basis (even to TWO different ones! One for color and one for cut!) I can't believe it but she won't listen to me. Anyway, for now my hair is not that long and I am going to a hairdresser every three months to get a blunt trim of maybe 1/2". I found someone I can trust to really only take off a little amount and it's not so expensive. She's great! But when my hair gets around BSL and past, I'm going to start cutting it myself again!

Federica
June 4th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Oh my... Just reading that looking like this > :eek:... The lengths people go to! ;) Thankfully that's not usual over here. And like I wrote earlier, I'm a big believer in not having things done to you that you can do yourself.

I totally agree.

Btw, have to say I love your hairdo in your signature picture! :)

Thank you! OFF TOPIC: Here's the video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzUovGkaprg) for it, made by the awesome LaDollyVita :)

Rosetta
June 4th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Thank you! OFF TOPIC: Here's the video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzUovGkaprg) for it, made by the awesome LaDollyVita :)
Thank you so much for the link! I don't know if I have quite enough hair for that one, but she has so many awesome medieval-inspired videos that I'll have to try some of them, or my own versions of them :)

vpatt
June 4th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I will own up to a couple of bad cuts...well once in high school I did that thing where you keep getting one side shorter than the other to match them up until you realize you are about as short as you can go...lol. That was before I realized about the cow licks and that the right side will never match the left side. It does that thing with one side turning under and the other side turning out.....I think I was cutting it dry.....I was about 14.

ghost
June 4th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I haven't had a salon haircut in YEARS. Sometimes I think about getting one, just because I like the experience of going to salons, but I'm so paranoid about going in and paying $50-70 for a haircut I don't love...or worse, that I hate. At least if I cut it myself, I can take all the responsibility if it sucks, and it's free. I can save the money for a tattoo or something :p
For a while I was getting my color done in a salon, but it got to be so expensive I couldn't keep it up.