PDA

View Full Version : Hair wispies club (no slicked back edges, please)

Pages : [1] 2 3

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Who has permanent wispies? You know, they are all around your updo, all around your hairline and they just won't disappear or lay flat. If you slick back your edges, then this is "news" to you. ;)

Who wants to join the club?

We might get great tips on how to eventually tame them and slick them back. ;)

Larki
May 13th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Me...I've just learned to live with it. They're so fine that they just pop right back up, they don't have enough weight to stay flat and they fly around. :p It's especially bad when I get a lot of new growth.

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah, the tiny hairs all around. They won't fit into your updo, and they just fly high. :lol: I just leave them be. It's particularly bad when you want a neat updo. And I found that it can even differ wash week to wash week, the amount I get flying around. Odd.

AZDesertRose
May 13th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Oh yeah, I'm in this group. I have a few bits at my temples that just don't grow well and I end up with my little horns, as I call them.

They can hold up my halo. :twisted:

I just don't have tidy hair. It's wavy enough to have an attitude but not truly wavy or curly. I've come to accept it, but there are times when I wish it would look sleek and neat.

amanda_the_tall
May 13th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Me!! I have a lot of hairs that are several inches long, even in the middle of my forehead, that always come out of buns and never get longer.

Nadine <3
May 13th, 2015, 10:18 AM
*raises hand*

I've always had wispies flying around. My hair is wavey so all my short baby hairs just stand on end and flap in the breeze. I don't really mind them, but they make it hard to look but together and nice. How do people get such sleek updos? Mine always look like my head got trapped in a wind tunnel lol

Wusel
May 13th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I have none.

Since I have bangs :)

LeMimi13
May 13th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Me!! I have permanrnt bangs on my hairline! And around my ears... my wispies are so spiralish!

cathair
May 13th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Mine have got long enough they look like the intentional bangs I never had the balls to cut in :cheese: so I just go with that for the couple of days after a wash when I can't tie them back. As soon as I have a little oil going they stay back. /bragging

Sorry, really not helpful I know :D I'm sure it won't last long.

pili
May 13th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Yup! All my life I've had them, from just above the temples and down the hairline to above my ears. That hair is also the only 3b/fine hair I have. If I dry it curly, they are cute, if I touch them at all after drying POOF!

Nebulae
May 13th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I'm in :p I have wispies all around my hairline, especially just above my temples.. sometimes they behave, sometimes I have horns sticking out the sides :evil: I have side swept bangs so sometimes the wispies blend in there. I try to clip them up with my bangs mostly, otherwise I don't even try to tame them. :D

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I have none.

Since I have bangs :)

You don't have any at your nape when your hair is in an updo? ;)

KittyBird
May 13th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I'm growing out a shed, so I've got tons of wispies! I don't mind them though, I think they look cute and make updos look softer. I only have them around my face and on top of my head though, no nape wispies. My nape hairs are and have always been long enough to bun. I'm actually considering maintaining the wispies around my face, because I like them so much :p

TrapperCreekD
May 13th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Wispies, wispies everywhere! The most annoying ones are the devil horns at my temples that apparently have a short terminal length, which I try to tame with aloe but usually let them do whatever they want.

Freija
May 13th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Me, me! So many wispies. I can watch their whole growth cycle at the front, where the hair just has a really short terminal length - they get just long enough to disappear into the rest of my hair, then they shed out and start aaall over again... My sister had them, too, and she and my mum used to call them 'baby hairs'.

Entangled
May 13th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Ah, all of the curly wispies... So wild, and yet, so magnificent. My straightish halo is not a halo; rather, it looks like the world's wimpiest mop ringing my hairline, tickling my face in all of its flyaway glory.

woolyleprechaun
May 13th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Me! Me! Absolutely tons of them. Almost more than actual, normal hair. The fuzzy things at my nape will form gorgeous spirals perhaps once a month (nothing I do can force them to do it, if they don't already have it in mind). The stuff on the top never looks presentable; I may slap on a bit of aloe for a special occasion, but otherwise it just does it's thang.

Hairkay
May 13th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I've always had them. Sometimes I found them annoying. When I was a teen I didn't like to have my hair up in one pony tail because I knew before the end of the day, no matter how much they'd be brushed down, they'll escape giving me a halo look. Someone in school asked why I never wore my hair like that. I told them my hair was too short. Since they could see the rest of the BSL hair they looked at me like this :bigeyes:

I've tried pulling the hairs tight to start cornrows then go looser mid braid but after many years realised that that could end up harming my hairline so I stopped that. They're kind of cute when I leave them alone, little Os, waves and corkscrews.

Robot Ninja
May 13th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I don't particularly want to join the club, but my wispies insist otherwise. The hair around my hairline is 4" long or less; they lie flat when I first put my hair up but the slightest hint of a breeze, and they're all over the place. I could probably try slicking them back with product but then I'd have to wash said product out, and I don't wanna, so I just let them do their thing.

My nape hairs grow a little longer; long enough to stay in the braid or updo once they're in, but short enough to resist being put in in the first place. A few months ago I hacked them off in a fit of annoyance and I've been regretting it ever since.

Unofficial_Rose
May 13th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Ha. My hair does this. I can start of the day with a slick updo or French Braid, pop to the work loos after a couple of hours and the wispies have escaped. Doesn't look neat or professional by this time, more kind of eccentric/deranged. :silly:

LeMimi13
May 13th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Is therr a way to make them grow?

momschicklets
May 13th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I have tons...and I just pretend it's feminine and romantic and looks good :bounce: The only exception is a gray wisp...which is more like a gray wire sticking obnoxiously from my head. Those have to go.....pronto :patrol::patrol:

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 12:59 PM

I don't think so. It's very common to have these short little hairs, and everyone has them so I doubt that they can just be made to grow.

pixiepaws
May 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I have hair wispies too I think I made mine a little worse as they split all the time so I kept trimming them! I don't touch them now. I don't want them any shorter.

Chocowalnut
May 13th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Yes I have these. Don't mind them like I used to.

Nadine <3
May 13th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Generally no, not really. I did notice the hair around my temples grew in a bit thicker and the whispies got a tad longer after using a silk pillowcase for a few months though. Not really a great thing because now my devil horns are just bigger.:laugh:

Wildcat Diva
May 13th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Do little nape curlies count?

hannabiss
May 13th, 2015, 02:23 PM
i have wispies. but bangs help creat the illusion of none. also the nape of my neck has a nech breard that wont grow past four inches. but i too pretend it gives my hair a soft romantic look.

Lindenare
May 13th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I can slick back most of my hair, but there are a few curly hairs between 2 and 6 inches long that spring out no matter what. Also, my hair is slippery enough that within an hour (being very generous), all the hairs that aren't yet long enough to be securely in the bun or braid will fall out and form a wispy halo. If I'm wearing a braid, fuzz galore ensues.

missblueeyes
May 13th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I have loads from where my glasses liked to rip out my bangs. :roll:
I honestly like them a lot because they soften my look when I wear my hair in a braid, which is really nice. The nape hair is weird, though. I have this one strand on the left of my head that just manages to sneak out of every braid possible. It's crazy!

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Do little nape curlies count?

Yes, sure they do! :) Well, IMMHO. :D

Wildcat Diva
May 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Yes, sure they do! Well, IMMHO.
Yay! Here are some! http://imageshack.us/a/img538/182/ujNOl4.jpg

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Oh those are cute, WD.

Wildcat Diva
May 13th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Thank you. It's a good thing they can be considered cute. I thought they were abnormal three years ago and had DH shave my neck!

longhairvixen
May 13th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Who wants to join the club?

We might get great tips on how to eventually tame them and slick them back. ;)

Take an old toothbrush, put a tiny bit of hairspray on it and lightly brush the flyaways down. You might have them from breakage OR the anagen phase is alot shorter than in the crown of your head. So it falls out quicker before it gets long.

Breanna
May 13th, 2015, 02:57 PM
A club for me! I'm notorious (to those who know me irl, anyway) for my temple curlies ALWAYS popping up. And the higher the humidity, the higher they go! I actually have a pic from sometime last year of them being especially springy:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13613&d=1412369101

Sometimes they disrespect gravity a little more, sticking straight up and making devil horns. But I love them ;)

Hairkay
May 13th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Mine always defy gravity. They range from 1 inch long around 6 inches long. Some bits do get caught up in a flat twist or cornrow but the shortest may not. I no longer try to tug them into place. I don't use gels either though I am a little curious over flaxseed/linseed gel.

lapushka
Take an old toothbrush, put a tiny bit of hairspray on it and lightly brush the flyaways down. You might have them from breakage OR the anagen phase is alot shorter than in the crown of your head. So it falls out quicker before it gets long.

I tried just about everything, from gel to a BBB to a toothbrush (yes I know that trick :)), to hairspray. All kinds of gels too (spray gels, regular gels), AV gel, leave-in, oil. It just won't tame them. :shrug:

mamaherrera
I have these, and now bangs hide them very well, but if I pull my hair back, here's the thing. One side of my temples is totally hidden, they look like they could be long, because of my cowlick. They just grow back that way. But the other side, my hair growth is towards my face, so all the "wispies" curve down and stick out onto my forehead . Mine lately don't stick up with the breezes, I guess because since I don't brush my hair anymore, they just curve down and lay onto my forehead, but yeah. Mine start out as super little vellus hairs that only grow like .5 cm, and then they slowly get longer, but like OP said above,it's almost like I hae more of these than normal hairs, they take up a large amount of my head.

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Adding to my previous post. I just don't tame them anymore. I don't like the "crud" on my roots, and I'd just rather leave them be. I don't need the breakage there.

swords & roses
May 13th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Oh yes, I belong here! I've got a nice patch of wispies on each temple, that just refuse to grow any longer than about an inch too short to reach my ponytail/bun. ;) That's just their terminal length, I suppose. Been that way as long as I can remember paying attention to my hair. The wispy patches are about an inch back from my hairline, though, so it all looks nice & slicked back at first. But with my hair being slippery as teflon, they work their way out and sideways pretty quickly. Once they've fully escaped, they can be neatly (for the most part) tucked behind my ears for a softer looking updo, and also show off my handful of pretty little white hairs that hide in their midst. :) The whites only show if I have my bun placed in the center of the back of my head, but I've been doing low buns lately, and they don't show then, so that's a bit of a bummer. Also a bummer is that I cannot rush the escape of the wispies. If I try to help them along, they rebel & look all crazy, taking some of the non-wispy hairs with them & making a proper mess of things. This usually results in the need to do the whole updo over again. Wispies will do things their own way. And no matter how nice they looked originally, if I do anything active (dance, martial arts) or drive with the windows down, they go nuts, sticking out sideways like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. :lol: My wispies are the reason I have to subject my hair to the tortures of extreme super hold hair spray when I have a dance performance.

ETA: Oh! I forgot to add that I also have a couple hairs dead center at the top of my head that just love to stick straight up, 3 inches, like Alfalfa from Little Rascals. These also refuse to be tamed, and refuse to look cute!

AZDesertRose
May 13th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I've tried cutting in a fringe/bangs to hide the front-of-hairline wispies, but it's not a good look for me at all. Bangs make my face look too round and broad, and it needs no help in that department, so I just put up with the wispies.

AZDesertRose
May 13th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Oops, double post. Sorry.

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I have a very strong wispy game going on and I fully embrace it. I've never tried to gel/tame them, just let them fly and be free ;)

Robot Ninja
May 13th, 2015, 03:49 PM
WildcatDiva, those are cute. Mine just look like I cut my hair with a lawnmower.

Any of you with a short terminal at the temples also have very thin and/or fine hair there? 'Cause mine is super-thin in that spot, it kinda looks like male pattern baldness when the roots start growing in.

momschicklets
May 13th, 2015, 03:54 PM
A club for me! I'm notorious (to those who know me irl, anyway) for my temple curlies ALWAYS popping up. And the higher the humidity, the higher they go! I actually have a pic from sometime last year of them being especially springy:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13613&d=1412369101

Sometimes they disrespect gravity a little more, sticking straight up and making devil horns. But I love them ;)

Haha great picture....and cute wisps! :o

AZDesertRose
May 13th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Any of you with a short terminal at the temples also have very thin and/or fine hair there? 'Cause mine is super-thin in that spot, it kinda looks like male pattern baldness when the roots start growing in.

Yes, that's almost exactly what my wispies/horns look like. :)

Kitsunesunset
May 13th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Super wispies. They annoy the heck out of me but nothing can be done. Wispies at temples and underneath my hair. Always there and never get longer.

Breanna
May 13th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Usually when I try to get them to lie down I use a little bit of aloe gel, but it only works for a little while.

Ingrid
May 13th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I don't remember if I've always had them and I don't know if they'll always be there, but right now I've got lots of wispies all over my head as a result of hair growing back after an iron deficiency and stress-related hair loss. I don't really mind them, and I use them as a humidity indicator because they tend to curl the more humid it gets :laugh: Sometimes I try to slick them back with a BBB, but sometimes I just leave them and I think that adds a nice variety to updos. I think in general people look cute with wispies.

jupiterinleo
May 13th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I absolutely have these. I call them my devil horns, as they like to curl up. I also have them underneath my hair, visible when I put it up. It's especially worse in humidity. Using a BBB at night nearly keeps them away entirely.

Also has anyone noticed the hairtypes of everyone here? All some degree of wavy and at least somewhat dense.

mamaherrera
May 13th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I also have them underneath my hair, and they stay at short terminal lengths up to the end of my bangs, where my hairs parts (bangs/rest of the hair) that's how long they take to get to grow like normal hair length. So I lose lots of area of my head that doesn't get to add to my ponytail circumference and such and I have a thick bang, so that gives you an idea of how far they go back. Most of mine aren't super fine, just the few at the very beginning of my hairline but they don't grow much more than a few mm. so I don't count them as wispies. But like I said, now with this new growth pattern of growing down and towards my face, mine just don't stick up like horns, but I know if I were to brush them back , then they would, so for me, leaving them alone, has helped immensely. Unless the wind gets super strong.

cat11
May 13th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Its impossible to comletely get rid of them... but i find that slowly petting my hair into the pony tail and then very slowly smoothing it with a fine tooth comb makes it ALOT better

Zesty
May 13th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Oh yes. The wispies. I has them.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/Paisley_Love/monster%20baby%20hairs_zpsdlovsgmt.jpg

I too tell myself that they soften my updos nicely. I think *some* of it is new growth because it's growing longer than my previous terminal around my hairline, but some of that is just never gon' go away.

janeytilllie
May 13th, 2015, 07:47 PM
I have them. One time my wisps used to make me really have low self esteem.
I have learned to embrace them. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 13th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Ooooh yes - I have these. It is my theory that wavies and curlies suffer from wispy-itis more than straighties. IMHO. Mine dance to their own inaudible tune...

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF0831.jpg

StarsandFire
May 13th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Hmm I wonder if human wispies are similar how animals have two layer of hair, a long layer to keep clean and dry, and a short and dense layer to stay warm.

gthlvrmx
May 13th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I have wispies! I especially have them on the front of my hairline near my forehead. I have a poof there because of all the short hair! Since it's curly, it just poofs and usually never lies down flat. I also have a good amount of wisps all around my head, it seems to have been this way for a while. I even used to get my wispies cut wherever they were to get a more "neat" look rather than having little hairs flying out everywhere. They were a problem in marching band since we had to have a very strict look :p

copperlites
May 13th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Ohh I love this thread. I so have these! From Temple, all the way around to the other temple. The ones at my nape are extremely curly , sometimes ringlets. At my temples, if I try to tame them they tend to stick out at a 90 degree angle. It's like the more I try to smooth them in the more they rebel. I'd love to know how to tame them. I've tried aloe Vera gel and solid Argan oil(primary ingredient coconut oil) from the body shop. I have noticed they are getting longer since I've been on this site and following better routines, so I live in hope they will go into the undos eventually :D

DKSABS
May 13th, 2015, 10:58 PM
I have them too, and they often form devil horns which drive me up the wall.

Arwenlily
May 13th, 2015, 11:23 PM
I've got tons of them all over. Right now, many of them at the top of my head are new growth but the ones at my temples will always be that way as they always have been. I used to use a lot of gel to keep them tamed when I was younger because I used to be very self conscious of them. But now, I mainly just let them do their thing or I'll just graze a little coconut oil over them and it's usually fine.

Just to add ... The ones at the nape of my neck are super frustrating! They always get missed when I'm doing an updo or a braid and they pop out because they are short. Ugh I wonder if they are there because of these updos and pulling.

Nebulae
May 14th, 2015, 05:41 AM
The ones around my face I do like, but the ones at the nape can be annoying.. I've tried to inspect them to see if they are damaged or not, but they don't seem to be. The higher the bun, the more fall out. If only they were all curly and cute, then I'd enjoy them more. :)

lapushka
May 14th, 2015, 07:09 AM
I find that (hair wash once a week) the more the week gets on, the flatter they lay. At the start of the week: poof. :lol: But come Friday it's pretty much all smoother. Natural oils definitely have something to do with it.

I so love that everyone is sharing their experiences (and solutions). Looove it! Thank you, you guys!

Madora
May 14th, 2015, 08:09 AM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/710multibraidbim5.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/710multibraidbim5.jpg.html)I haz white whispies!

restless
May 14th, 2015, 08:45 AM
I read the thread title, clicked the link and immediately felt "Aw yeah, these are my people". :D

AZDesertRose
May 14th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I read the thread title, clicked the link and immediately felt "Aw yeah, these are my people". :D

I wish the forum had a "like post" button for this post! :D

(and other posts I've seen, for that matter)

Agnes Hannah
May 14th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Any of you with a short terminal at the temples also have very thin and/or fine hair there? 'Cause mine is super-thin in that spot, it kinda looks like male pattern baldness when the roots start growing in.[/QUOTE]

That's me then! I have lots of wispy bits at the temple and at the nape. When I can I catch them up into a do, otherwise they do their own thing. They like dancing in the breeze a lot but are tamed just before washing day.

lapushka
May 14th, 2015, 10:07 AM

Yes, it's much much finer, almost spider-webby, esp. the really short ones.

gwenalyn
May 14th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Reading everyone's stories makes me feel so ... normal! I'm not wavy, but a straightie, so my whispies are probably a bit longer but more prone to slipping out. I like 'em. They make my ponytails/buns look less severe than they otherwise would.

Like lapushka (and others) mentioned, the cleaner my hair is, the more they want to come out and play.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/710multibraidbim5.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/710multibraidbim5.jpg.html)I haz white whispies!

*jaw drops* Wow, Madora, it's not news that your braided updos are gorgeous, but this one ... wow!

But with my hair being slippery as teflon, they work their way out and sideways pretty quickly. Once they've fully escaped, they can be neatly (for the most part) tucked behind my ears for a softer looking updo ... Also a bummer is that I cannot rush the escape of the wispies. If I try to help them along, they rebel & look all crazy, taking some of the non-wispy hairs with them & making a proper mess of things. This usually results in the need to do the whole updo over again. Wispies will do things their own way.

Such a good description. I used to try, and try, and try to get the whispies to come out and behave like nice whispies, and it never worked, until I learned to just put my hair up, and two hours later they've done it by themselves.

Adorrrable.

I have loads from where my glasses liked to rip out my bangs. :roll:
I honestly like them a lot because they soften my look when I wear my hair in a braid, which is really nice. The nape hair is weird, though. I have this one strand on the left of my head that just manages to sneak out of every braid possible. It's crazy!

Oooh, yes, I used to get that too, before I switched to primarily contacts. I agree, I like the way it softens an updo. It looks romantic and pretty, even with my straight hair. And the one strand at the nape ... I don't know how I miss it, it's sooooo long.

I have these, and now bangs hide them very well, but if I pull my hair back, here's the thing. One side of my temples is totally hidden, they look like they could be long, because of my cowlick. They just grow back that way. But the other side, my hair growth is towards my face, so all the "wispies" curve down and stick out onto my forehead .]

Yes! My hair is the same way! When I pin up my bangs, I always get one or two locks of hair that want to curve straight into my forehead from the corner and stick there if I'm sweating or it's late in the wash cycle. :rolleyes: The one negative thing about my whispies, I think.

Madora
May 14th, 2015, 03:16 PM
:blossom: Thanks very much, Gwenalyn!

pili
May 15th, 2015, 07:56 AM

Yes, my daughter and I both have them. I have pictures of myself as a child with the same hairline, and my daughter (she's a 1c/2a) has so much she looks like she has side-swept bangs, and we have never cut bangs on her.

mamaherrera
May 15th, 2015, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=gwenalyn;3009029]Reading everyone's stories makes me feel so ... normal! I'm not wavy, but a straightie, so my whispies are probably a bit longer but more prone to slipping out. I like 'em. They make my ponytails/buns look less severe than they otherwise would.

Like lapushka (and others) mentioned, the cleaner my hair is, the more they want to come out and play.

*jaw drops* Wow, Madora, it's not news that your braided updos are gorgeous, but this one ... wow!

Such a good description. I used to try, and try, and try to get the whispies to come out and behave like nice whispies, and it never worked, until I learned to just put my hair up, and two hours later they've done it by themselves.

Adorrrable.

Oooh, yes, I used to get that too, before I switched to primarily contacts. I agree, I like the way it softens an updo. It looks romantic and pretty, even with my straight hair. And the one strand at the nape ... I don't know how I miss it, it's sooooo long.

Yes! My hair is the same way! When I pin up my bangs, I always get one or two locks of hair that want to curve straight into my forehead from the corner and stick there if I'm sweating or it's late in the wash cycle. :rolleyes: The one negative thing about my whispies, I

GOOD TO HEAR WE'RE NOT ALONE AT LEAST, RIGHT! And my fun stuff, is I have the tiniest wispies of all people here, with some that only make it to 1 inch!! Then they slowly get longer!

lapushka
May 15th, 2015, 09:57 AM
GOOD TO HEAR WE'RE NOT ALONE AT LEAST, RIGHT! And my fun stuff, is I have the tiniest wispies of all people here, with some that only make it to 1 inch!! Then they slowly get longer!

I have wispies that don't make it to 1 inch as well, so don't think you're alone or different. ;)

Laurenji
May 15th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I definitely belong here! The hairs at my temple and my neck have always been finer, shorter, and curlier than my other hairs. To top it off, my new short hairs are always pulling out of buns and braids, giving me a fuzzy halo after an hour or two. My husband calls it "orphan hair" because he says it makes me look like a little street waif out of a victorian novel or something.

A couple days ago, the ones at my temple spontaneously started curling! They were giant loops, like 2" in diameter, sticking straight up from my head. It looked pretty funny.

mamaherrera
May 15th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I have wispies that don't make it to 1 inch as well, so don't think you're alone or different. ;)

REALLy??? YEAH YEAH!!

ChloeDharma
May 15th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Oh I'm certainly in this club! I have whispies all around my hairline that vary from about 1cm to a few inches but just not long enough to stay tied back. It makes my look so messy and the slightest breeze and I look like I've been attacked and dragged through some bushes. My only option is to keep them oiled and slicked back, without oil I just can't cope with them not just because of the messy appearance but they tickle and irritate my face making it itch so much I want to claw at it.

lapushka
May 15th, 2015, 02:40 PM
REALLy??? YEAH YEAH!!

Yes, I'm serious! :) At the very edge of my hairline is where the shortest bits are.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Yes, I'm serious! :) At the very edge of my hairline is where the shortest bits are.

Me too. I'm sure everyone has them - it's just part of the transition of growth between hair on your face or neck and hair on your head.

gwenalyn
May 15th, 2015, 05:39 PM
I've got the teeny tiny whispies on my hairline too! And the thing is, I never noticed them before LHC ... and now they seem so obvious.

catasa
May 17th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Oh yes :) I have lots of them, all over! The good thing about them is that they (as others have mentioned) make updos look less severe (I have never been a fan of the slicked-back look), but it is also sometimes irritating that it is just impossible for me to look really neat... I donīt fret a lot about them though, just accept that they are a part of my hair!

ravenheather
May 17th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Oh yes. The wispies. I has them.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/Paisley_Love/monster%20baby%20hairs_zpsdlovsgmt.jpg

I too tell myself that they soften my updos nicely. I think *some* of it is new growth because it's growing longer than my previous terminal around my hairline, but some of that is just never gon' go away.

These are whispies gone wild! I love it. I have whispies but i try to keep them tucked away. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. See nape in siggie.

Betazed
June 10th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I'm glad I found this thread!

So, the other day I did what I like to call a carnation braided bun. It looked pretty good irl. I get hubs to take a pic because I'm so happy with it. I'm cropping said pic when I notice the whole 'do is bombarded with whispies! It makes me wonder if it looked as good as I thought it did. :( For the record, hubs loved it and tried to reassure me that the whispies were not that noticable. I also received compliments from 3 random strangers so I guess I have to believe him.

http://s6.postimg.org/lt0n0hmrl/image.jpg

Another angle:
http://s6.postimg.org/oltukin41/image.jpg

floraflowerpowe
June 10th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I have wavy hair, but the shorter wispies are curly. So whenever I'm wearing an updo or braid, I have all these tiny little curls surrounding my face especially near the temples. Sometimes I call them my little devil horns :cool:.

lapushka
June 10th, 2015, 11:45 AM
So, the other day I did what I like to call a carnation braided bun. It looked pretty good irl. I get hubs to take a pic because I'm so happy with it. I'm cropping said pic when I notice the whole 'do is bombarded with whispies! It makes me wonder if it looked as good as I thought it did. :( For the record, hubs loved it and tried to reassure me that the whispies were not that noticable. I also received compliments from 3 random strangers so I guess I have to believe him.

http://s6.postimg.org/lt0n0hmrl/image.jpg

Another angle:
http://s6.postimg.org/oltukin41/image.jpg

Yep, pretty much unavoidable! :) Welcome to the thread. :D

MINAKO
June 10th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I love my whispies of babyhair around the face, whithout them i think my buns look far too severe. So usually when i style my hair i have to brush them back first and then take them back out after doing my makeup. Recently i even started to curl them with a straightener. It looks cute and makes me think less of cutting in blunt bangs.
Sometimes they dont play nice when its windy and i look like i have horns tho, lol.

Betazed
June 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks, lapushka! Although, I'm a reluctant member of this club. I never before noticed all the whispies until I was editing those pics. Also, I'm also growing out layers so those tend to stick out of any buns I attempt to wear.

Backstory on the awful layers: The last time I visited a salon, I asked for a half inch off the hem and for my side bangs to be trimmed. The hairdrsser decided what I really needed was face-framing layers. I was too polite to say something once she started hacking away at all the hair around my face. It doesn't look too bad, especially on the side of my bangs. But they never stay in any buns. That was definitely the last time I trust anyone with scissors. Yay for Feye's Method!

Ingrid
June 10th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I'm really at a loss as to how to style the wispies. They're growing longer and certainly becoming more noticeable so that I think they desrve to be "styled" in some way rather than left alone... :lol: Does anyone have any nice tutorials?

teddygirl
June 10th, 2015, 06:29 PM
I've always considered them baby hairs. But they never really grow, just always there, wisping away.

lunasea
June 10th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Thin, sad wispies all the way around. I usually try to hide it in pics but it doesn't work. This be hidden wispies. Don't think I'm foolin' anyone...

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o345/slashandfang/004_zpsorh49qdd.jpg (http://s340.photobucket.com/user/slashandfang/media/004_zpsorh49qdd.jpg.html)

swords & roses
June 10th, 2015, 09:16 PM
I'm too distracted by that amazing hair stick to notice your wispies! ;)

lapushka
June 11th, 2015, 06:20 AM
With short hair, they tend to just blend in. Like a chin length bob, who is going to wear that up and the rest of the hair is about the same length as those wispy bits anyway. I think the more length you have, the more they "bother" you. :)

Ingrid
June 16th, 2015, 02:40 AM
It sometimes feels like I have a bob AND long hair at the same time... very confusing! :lol:

Fira
June 16th, 2015, 06:37 AM
I am in this club. I can see myself in much that has been written. I don't mind it. I have pretty much accepted my hair. But I would occasionally like to have a sleek (neat) updo without heat styling - which I don't do/use. Eh, that's just the way it is. ;)

jess_
June 18th, 2015, 10:55 PM
i've always had baby hairs by my left temple and they drive me nuts half the time. i'm usually wearing a headband of some sort to push them back when i have my hair up in a ponytail, and sometimes when i braid my hair or something

pailin
June 19th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Right now, I'm using a hairstick with a dangly beaded thing on the end, and the beads keep getting hung up on all the wispies from the bun. Looks kind of funny since the wispies are barely visible!

lapushka
June 19th, 2015, 04:48 AM
I always look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards, with hair loose or fixed in a bun. :lol: You get used to it. :lol:

TrapperCreekD
June 20th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I know, right? Perfect description! It's even worse if there's a breeze or wind. Luckily (or unluckily) they kind of blend in when I wear my hair down but then I hardly ever wear my hair down, well, because you know why. :lol:

Seventy7
July 14th, 2015, 02:49 PM
I didn't want to post here without proof as I know my hair always gets some nice wispies, they just don't take pictures very well most of the times. This morning I bunned my french braid and took a picture immediately:

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u406/Seventy7_lhc/Mobile%20Uploads/96e04e8b-4189-4665-a198-34a81d981c32_zpsifk5p8qc.jpg

I've got baby hairs all around my hairline, and at the tempels there is a patch of wispies that won't grow beyond a few inches. These show nicely above my ear.

I'm mainly too lazy to try and get them smooth. And in the past I tried hairspray some times, but that just made hard, pointy wispies stick out more, instead of these soft wispies sticking out a bit.

I don't see them, unless I find myself in front of a mirror. So most of the time I even forget they're there. :D

gyhaslan
July 14th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I have wispies for days by my temples. They never seem to grow, always seem to be one length. If I have my hair down or in a half up do, they aren't noticeable. But once I do a pony tail, they come flying out. And the longest ones are just barely long enough to tuck behind my ears but there's really no helping it. All the gel in the world wouldn't keep them down.

missrandie
July 14th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I always had bangs, so I never noticed temple wispies. I've always had the cute ear ones that would occasionally curl (exciting for a straighty) and the nape that refused to stay up.

Now that I am growing out my bangs with the rest of my hair, I am noticing my forehead wisps more... but only on the left. My hair has a very strong growth pattern that just won't quit, with a partial cow lick in the front as well. So wispies flow counter clockwise! The ones on the right wisp back into my hairline, and the ones on the left wisp down and towards center. Crazy wispies.

HintOfMint
July 15th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Count me in!

Plenty of wispies, some of them grow down on my forehead like little horns. I've freaked out about them before, but frankly, I don't think anyone looks askance at them. I also have a small widow's peak for good measure.

To quote the great Mean Girls, "My hairline is so weird."

leilani
July 16th, 2015, 03:11 AM
i have tons and tons have always been jealous of those with neat, clean hairlines. It's a big reason I hate updos. Don't ever put my hair up because it looks like a slovenly mess with the baby hairs all over the place.

Aderyn
July 16th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I definitely have a fair bit of wispies! Some days are worse than others, of course. I treat them like frizz, it's just whatever and I don't particularly care.

I am trying to be more gentle for the very fine hairs around my edges, though, as those are quite prone to breakage.

lapushka
July 16th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Mine are particularly fuzzy, as I'm a tad wavy, so some even wave/wurl at the front. It depends week after week how many stick out, and "come loose" out of that mass of hair to show themselves in front and back. It is what it is, I guess. Nothing you can do. And I like my hair to be dry and non-oily looking which is why I don't slick them back with pommade or a gel or something like that (a cream).

*ReiKa*
July 16th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I have loads of them, hair up or down doesn't matter, they will be there! The ones close to my ears are the funniest, they curl up! :p
My updos never look particularly neat because of them, but I can see that many women's updos look neater since they use gels and hairsprays (I see that happening a lot on Youtube tutorials), I refuse to do that, so I don't expect them to be tidy and invisible.

Aderyn
July 16th, 2015, 08:48 AM
To be honest, I kind of like the more casual look that having some flyaways/frizzies/baby hairs/wispies creates. Makes the look a lot less severe!

Also, it's very easy to make it more "formal" (I don't think it's necessarily informal to have wispies) by just smoothing a tiny bit of oil or leave in over it.

Swan Maiden
July 16th, 2015, 08:49 AM
The only time I admire my wispies is when they turn to ringlets in humid weather. Otherwise, they just fluff out wildly.

Eraisuithiel
July 16th, 2015, 09:34 AM
I have tons of wispiness. Mostly, they stay waiver than my hair, but they corkscrew if it's raining/going to rain. Sometimes I can get them to hide on the top of my head by oiling it and then applying a big headband, but the wispiness on the sides and back of my neck never ever go away. I only dislike them when I have to look nice for an interview or meeting someone important.

missrandie
July 16th, 2015, 09:55 AM
For a while, I had a wiry silver antenna that stuck up on the right side of my forehead, and it would NOT be tamed! I had people telling me to pluck it, and I informed them that I liked him just the way he was.. and waited for it to grow out enough to lay down.

I guess maybe it's because my wispies aren't all that intense that I find them quite adorable. They make me think of the olden days where women all wore some form of updo and throughout the work day the wispies came out and softened the look. I also find that sometimes, they can be gently twisted together to clump and form pretty little tendrils on me.

I know some people get the all out devil horns, but I even find those to be pretty. I guess it just comes from my love of all hair :) I also think they make people look more unique- like another facial or bodily feature.

Am I off base in my thinking?

pili
July 16th, 2015, 10:24 AM
For a while, I had a wiry silver antenna that stuck up on the right side of my forehead, and it would NOT be tamed! I had people telling me to pluck it, and I informed them that I liked him just the way he was.. and waited for it to grow out enough to lay down.

I guess maybe it's because my wispies aren't all that intense that I find them quite adorable. They make me think of the olden days where women all wore some form of updo and throughout the work day the wispies came out and softened the look. I also find that sometimes, they can be gently twisted together to clump and form pretty little tendrils on me.

I know some people get the all out devil horns, but I even find those to be pretty. I guess it just comes from my love of all hair :) I also think they make people look more unique- like another facial or bodily feature.

Am I off base in my thinking?

Nope. I am totally with you. I actually pull out my wispies when I do updos. A little water and oil and the make pretty ringlets. I do not look good with any kind of sever undo. My face is too narrow and angular for that.

Eichan
July 16th, 2015, 07:42 PM
I'm fine with my wispies.

In the morning when I wake up, they are straight. But when I begin to sweat at work they curl up so nice like when I was a kid and it looks very pretty (to me)

rosey4exclaim
July 16th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I definitely have wispies. In hoping that sleeping with a satin bonnet will help them grow some.

Kat
July 16th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Oh, me! I get these roughly-shoulder-length bits that pull out of my braid by the end of the day and look really bad (two barrettes on either side of my head are the only thing that keeps them out of my face). We're talking super-fringe here, not just a few hairs. Worse when freshly-washed, of course. I look like I've been riding a motorcycle all day when I've only been sitting still at work! (Right now I have one persistent bit that is out on one side even right after re-braiding. No idea what that's about, but it happens every. Time.)

The little bits that pop up all over my head and make me look unkempt at dance competitions (I could hairspray/gel them to within an inch of their life, but then I'd always have to wash right after a competition and I'm not always in the mood).

Not too much I can do about it short of gluing them to my head with gel, so I just go around looking like a slob (for me it's not a "soft" look. It's an "I've had my hair up in this same 'do for a week without taking it down or combing it" look).

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 04:15 AM
After a wash, they always lay / come out differently. Is that your guys' experience as well?

Aderyn
July 17th, 2015, 04:23 AM
Definitely, Lapushka. Sometimes they're well behaved, most of the time they're just okay.. but occasionally I just want to whip them into submission. :whip: :lol:

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Definitely, Lapushka. Sometimes they're well behaved, most of the time they're just okay.. but occasionally I just want to whip them into submission. :whip: :lol:

Oh, I *so* understand! :lol:

missrandie
July 17th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Right after a wash it is a wispy party! Every new hair and wispies stick straight up and say hello to eachother.. and of course those that are baby hairs have a curl to them. The curl goes away when they are cut for the first time, unfortunately.

Arctic
July 17th, 2015, 12:22 PM
For a while, I had a wiry silver antenna that stuck up on the right side of my forehead, and it would NOT be tamed!

The cousin of your white hair has a residence on my head, right on top and middle of my front hair line :D It also stuck right up for months when it was first growing! :D

Aurum
July 17th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I have these ear to ear. :lol: I don't mind them very much, but they're so baby fine that they give me weird edges. But hey, who needs a normal hairline anyway?

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I have these ear to ear. :lol: I don't mind them very much, but they're so baby fine that they give me weird edges. But hey, who needs a normal hairline anyway?

I have them all around. :lol: Even from the top of my head. Sheesh, I mean... it's like my head exploded sometimes. :lol:

DeadlyUnicorn
July 17th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Just took this. Look at them fly lol. It's so windy today...
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/fishy-o/hair/20150717_143140_zpsrg0bkzak.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/fishy-o/media/hair/20150717_143140_zpsrg0bkzak.jpg.html)

lapushka
July 17th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Yep, looks familiar, although mine are way shorter and sparser. Kind of like fluff. :lol:

DeadlyUnicorn
July 17th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Yep, looks familiar, although mine are way shorter and sparser. Kind of like fluff. :lol:

Lol I don't ever remember it being this bad before. It seems like a lot of my longer hairs are falling out too so I guess most of these are just the replacements.. Only more to come :rolleyes: :p

Ambystoma
July 18th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Postpartum wispies :eek:
http://i.imgur.com/R3eYxmZl.jpg

Excuse how grubby I am, it was after toddler feeding time :p

Ares
July 18th, 2015, 05:21 AM
Oh these...

I have a love/hate relationship with them. I think they look kinda cute when my hair is up and they form little nape curls. But I find them annoying when they're in front and somehow enter my nose. I've sneezed sometimes because of it! :P

lapushka
July 18th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Thought this video was interesting (by curlypenny):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3MC_1QXQA

Halliday
July 18th, 2015, 02:58 PM
i just saw that video haha, its great.

lapushka
July 18th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Yes, even if this OP announced: no slicked back edges, please. I thought the video was still entertaining to post. I mean, the things you can do with a toothbrush. ;) :p

AZDesertRose
July 18th, 2015, 04:32 PM
That was really cute, lapushka! Thanks for posting it. I might have to try that the next time I need my hair to behave. :)

Luminaria
July 19th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Looks like I'm a member of the club. I've had hair wispies all my life. I have them all around my hairline. I've tried so many ways to slick them back with very little success. If I manage to slick them back, the gentlest breeze blows my hair, and bam! they're back again. I've gotten used to them (grudgingly). It's particularly bothersome when I have to take pictures, though.

going gray
July 20th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Thank you lapushka posting this great video, think this will finally help.

arelrios
July 20th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Mine drive me crazy! There has never been an occasion where I've had a nice slick pulled back hair style.... :ugh: .... So, I have the hairline ones and the ones in the middle of scalp... So I always have a halo going on :(

Saproxylic
July 20th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I think I', starting t love my wispies a lot. They are super blonde, soft, silky, and today I purposefully did not fight them, but poufed up hair above forhead and put my hair in a loose twist letting them frame my face naturally, and DBF coincidence or not stared at me today for a while and said he isn't sure what, but something is making me look extra beautiful. I hope it's the hair!

lapushka
July 20th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I think I', starting t love my wispies a lot. They are super blonde, soft, silky, and today I purposefully did not fight them, but poufed up hair above forhead and put my hair in a loose twist letting them frame my face naturally, and DBF coincidence or not stared at me today for a while and said he isn't sure what, but something is making me look extra beautiful. I hope it's the hair!

Maybe it's the wispy bits. :)

arelrios
August 1st, 2015, 09:06 AM
Are your wispies lighter at the ends? Mine are... not sure if because of damage, breakage or simply this is the way they are supposed to be

lapushka
August 1st, 2015, 09:22 AM
Are your wispies lighter at the ends? Mine are... not sure if because of damage, breakage or simply this is the way they are supposed to be

No not lighter, just tapered... and some are short lived, they fall out just like other hairs.

JustPam
August 1st, 2015, 05:02 PM
Wispies out in full force today :)

http://i60.tinypic.com/sg506w.jpg

Sparklylady82
August 1st, 2015, 11:55 PM
Yes! Always have wispies

lapushka
August 2nd, 2015, 04:41 AM
Cute pics, you guys. I'm not bothered by my wispies, TBH. I think they can add a lot to an updo.

arelrios
August 3rd, 2015, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't mind them if I didn't have a hairy hairline ... LOL... I cannot have a clean/neat hairdo lol...

Estrid
October 24th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Quietly joining the club that's been quiet for over two months

/Margo

lapushka
October 24th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I'm glad to have you join. As you can see, you fit in here very well. :D We all have them, isn't that fun!!!

Estrid
October 24th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Yeah, maybe it is fun (not really sure what to say) :p I knew most people had short hairs around their hairlines, but I did not know they were called wispies (or that they could be up long the part), so that is a new word to me ;) Google seems to think that word means eyelashes, are they called wispies too?

/Margo

Wildcat Diva
October 24th, 2015, 06:31 AM
My Very prominent right side nape curly is all bouncy and free in my latest YouTube video. I want to name her.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGKFNuz7OA

Hairkay
October 24th, 2015, 06:56 AM
My Very prominent right side nape curly is all bouncy and free in my latest YouTube video. I want to name her.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGKFNuz7OA

Hi Wilcat Diva, that nape curl is adorable. I hope you continue to let it be.

lapushka
October 24th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Hi Wilcat Diva, that nape curl is adorable. I hope you continue to let it be.

Yeah, I agree. It's very cute! :D

LegoCaltrops
October 24th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I've always had these. Doesn't matter what I do, there they are. The only time they ever looked like normal hair, was whan I had a super-short pixie. If I used styling products on them, they hardened into little backward-facing horns. They escape from an Alice band. They are invincible.

I refuse to have a fringe though. It doesn't suit me. I'd sooner have the wispies.

lapushka
October 24th, 2015, 09:32 AM
I refuse to have a fringe though. It doesn't suit me. I'd sooner have the wispies.

Yep, that's how I feel. I have a tight mean lady librarian bun + wispies. :lol:

LegoCaltrops
October 24th, 2015, 09:36 AM
I'm sure it's not at all mean-looking or bookish!

lapushka
October 24th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I'm sure it's not at all mean-looking or bookish!

No the wispies sure take care of that! So they're useful. :D :p

Groovy Granny
October 24th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Quietly joining the club that's been quiet for over two months

/Margo

Me too :o

As I write I have wispies at my temples and the nape; it is worse some days than others.
I have come to accept them.... and in general I let them do their thing ;)
For special occasions I may smooth them with a BBB and a spritz of hairspray.
No oils = greasy look, or gels - aloe = crunchy/greasy look; both are too slick for my liking (I prefer au naturale) :p
You can see examples in my album: Rockin' My Silver

Robi-Bird
October 24th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I think the "frizz" that drives me crazy is actually wispies. It would seem I will have to become friends with them. Or frenimies.

Groovy Granny
October 24th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I forgot to mention that my wispies are my silver....much finer than the darker hair.

They also tend to curl easier so often I will dampen them with water and scrunch ...or twirl the longer pieces to curl as tendrils, or smaller defined curls at the nape.

Yay for new growth :cheer:

Christine_O
October 24th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I've always had wispie s (won't let me type the word, smart a&& machine). I also have bangs I've got them in my bangs, and along my part, no matter where it is, and along my temples, everywhere. I like them...a lot. They're part of my rough tough wild Alaskan mountain woman/sailor image.

DweamGoiL
October 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
On low humidity days, the wispies will lay flat, but on other days...BOING!!! All over the hairline and nape...ugh!

Groovy Granny
October 24th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I've always had wispie s (won't let me type the word, smart a&& machine). I also have bangs I've got them in my bangs, and along my part, no matter where it is, and along my temples, everywhere. I like them...a lot. They're part of my rough tough wild Alaskan mountain woman/sailor image.
I am pretty au naturale too..live on a lake in the boonies of New England
Good for you :thumbsup:
Nice to meet another nature lover :hifive:

On low humidity days, the wispies will lay flat, but on other days...BOING!!! All over the hairline and nape...ugh!

LOL I hear you...BOING is right; I can triple in volume on a humid day...people think I got a perm :laugh:

LaraAntipova
October 25th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I'm joining too :-) I've always thought whispies are cute, they create an adorable halo effect :-)

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2015, 11:07 AM
I'm joining too :-) I've always thought whispies are cute, they create an adorable halo effect :-)

Hi Lara ~ nice to meet you :)
I didn't always think they were 'cute', but I have come to love them....and love your 'halo' description :wannabe:
Happy growing!!
GG ~ Gail

CoveredByLove
October 25th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I haven't been particularly wispy in the past, however, I'm having major regrowth from post-pardum hair loss issues which I'm am SO excited about! I don't care that I have little hairs sticking up everywhere. :o They are just long enough to form a "C" curve, the start of a spiral. So, I have all these little C's around my face. It's hilarious. :p Looks like a cow came up and licked both sides of my head! LOLj

Edit: Oh and there is no glueing them down either. I don't even try. :o They pop right back up no much how much gel I slather on them.

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I haven't been particularly wispy in the past, however, I'm having major regrowth from post-pardum hair loss issues which I'm am SO excited about! I don't care that I have little hairs sticking up everywhere. :o They are just long enough to form a "C" curve, the start of a spiral. So, I have all these little C's around my face. It's hilarious. :p Looks like a cow came up and licked both sides of my head! LOLj

Edit: Oh and there is no glueing them down either. I don't even try. :o They pop right back up no much how much gel I slather on them.

Yay...happy you joined the club; it sounds cute ...and glad you are happy with them!:)

Congrats on your baby too :thumbsup:...boy or girl?

CoveredByLove
October 25th, 2015, 12:07 PM
lol Thanks! Girl :) She is now 2 years. I had three sheds after the birth. So, yeah, I'm glad to have my normal thickness finally return, even if it means I look like a baby chicken. :lol: I don't care. I look forward to having face framing ringlets in the near future. :)

Groovy Granny
October 25th, 2015, 12:52 PM
lol Thanks! Girl :) She is now 2 years. I had three sheds after the birth. So, yeah, I'm glad to have my normal thickness finally return, even if it means I look like a baby chicken. :lol: I don't care. I look forward to having face framing ringlets in the near future. :)

Awww...that's sweet :)
My firstborn was a girl...she is now 40 ;)
Her 2 boys are now in their teen years; where do the years go?!

I am sure your wurls are lovely; having a positive attitude really helps :thumbsup:

LongCurlyTress
December 27th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I am a whispy girl too! Mine are growing in white, so I have a feeling that the whispies are new growth.... And they stick out from my buns all over the place... that sounded weird! LOL! Nice to know that I am not alone to have to deal with this "halo"! ;)

RebekahE
December 27th, 2015, 09:31 AM
*Raises hand* Have had them all my life and I rarely become annoyed at them anymore. I have found that oiling my hair helps tame them, but I always have some sticking out.

lapushka
December 27th, 2015, 09:44 AM
It also depends on how my hair "falls". Sometimes they stick out, other times they are pretty much tame. Odd.

Hairkay
December 27th, 2015, 10:28 AM
The longer whispies can sometimes end up in a plait at the front but as the week goes by they'll sneak out and curl up joining the Os or Ss to make little corkscrews.

AJNinami
December 27th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure if this will work for the shorter wisps, but the longer nape ones I've found I can put into a tiny braid and work that into the rest of my hair with bobby pins or tucking behind longer strands, which seems to hold them at least longer (it works nicely with simple braids). This might only work for people with coarser hair though.

Robi-Bird
December 27th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I've been examining my wispies and quite a few of the little buggers have tapered tips and they are the wiriest of my wirey hair. These are the ones that defy hairspray.

They are sort of growing on me.

MsPharaohMoan
December 27th, 2015, 05:49 PM
They are sort of growing on me.

:spitting: too funny -quality post-

Robi-Bird
December 27th, 2015, 06:00 PM
:spitting: too funny -quality post-

Thanks you. I couldn't resist.

AutobotsAttack
December 27th, 2015, 06:50 PM
ive come to love my whispies. They are extremely curly and always fly out of my buns right around my temple, ears, and nape area. Sometimes they touch my skin and i freak out because i think something is on me lol. i dont try to slick them back anymore because they always just slowly dry off from whatever moisturizer i use and spring back up. They do it a lot right when i wash my hair and air dry. But i like them regardless, and i tend to play with them a lot.

AutobotsAttack
December 27th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Mine always defy gravity. They range from 1 inch long around 6 inches long. Some bits do get caught up in a flat twist or cornrow but the shortest may not. I no longer try to tug them into place. I don't use gels either though I am a little curious over flaxseed/linseed gel.

i think you'd absolutely love flaxseed gel. I tried it not too long ago, and i thought i was gonna have a horrible disaster, or just have a bunch of crunchy hairs all tangled and stuck together. But i actually didnt. I did a little test run and just slicked some of baby hairs down on my temples, and it wasnt dry or anything. It flaked just a tiny bit though, but nothing too bad. Then i used it to do a braidout, and all of my hair was soft, and i was able to comb it out without having any of my hair being snatched out due to crunchiness.

stelz
December 27th, 2015, 07:32 PM
ive come to love my whispies. They are extremely curly and always fly out of my buns right around my temple, ears, and nape area. Sometimes they touch my skin and i freak out because i think something is on me lol. i dont try to slick them back anymore because they always just slowly dry off from whatever moisturizer i use and spring back up. They do it a lot right when i wash my hair and air dry. But i like them regardless, and i tend to play with them a lot.

I had a friend with those. She had these little curly bits at the temples that were just gorgeous.
My wispies are just little straight baby hairs, nothing special. I don't even think about them much.

Sparklylady82
December 28th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Oh yes I fit into this club! I have a smooth headband and I've found wearing that with hair in a damp bun for the first few hours of drying hello tame them. But of course anytime I get near humidity that re-appear.

yahirwaO.o
December 28th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Here is a pic of mine. I usually don't mind them at the back (and hardly ever wear my hair up anyways), but I can't stand having frizzy bits at the front. My hair is completely straight so it kinda copes easily. I know most men don't like them (nape ones) and have them shaved at the barbers. Still mine looked insanely wavy and coarse and my general hair texture is the total opposite of that.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16825&d=1429395744

Entangled
December 28th, 2015, 08:46 AM
My wispies are rather prominent... It's enough to make my mom call my hair broken. On the other hand, I know I've got a halo that looks like pillow damage. I need to get a sleep cap or a satin pillowcase.

Lemon*
December 28th, 2015, 09:05 AM
I've got straight wispies/baby hairs right at the top of my hairline. One is about 2 inches long and continually falls out of buns and clips and Bobby pins and falls into my eye... I hope it grows long enough to stay up soon.

dogzdinner
December 28th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I really hate those wispie bits. I dont mind the silly little curls I get at the back of my hairline, its looking in the mirror and realiesing that I have giant wispie curls stuck out at ear level at right angles! Mostly I try to wedge them behind my glasses but they inevitably pop back up again.

JadedByEntropy
December 28th, 2015, 01:01 PM
haha this was a joy to read this thread. :) I've given up on whispy control and just determined to not go for "sleek" looks.

SteelRose
January 6th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I have always had some level of whispies. Mine are massively worse right now with hair growing back in after a horrendous shed a while back. They are especially bad the first day or two after washing (until the natural oils work back through).
Even more fun, I have 3 daughters (all young enough that I still do their hair) and all of them have them too. My poor middle girl has a permanent halo all the way around her face since her hair has more curl then the other two. My oldest got relegated to clips early just to half control the ones that fell in her eyes.
Genetics are so fun....

Groovy Granny
January 15th, 2016, 10:24 AM
haha this was a joy to read this thread. :) I've given up on whispy control and just determined to not go for "sleek" looks.

So true :thumbsup:

My white crown wispies had quieted.....then on close inspection I found they had traveled half way down my back....in their own curl explosion one humid day...in the midst of the remains of my sleeker darker hair (it was quite a combo to behold) :wink:

Then, the tendrils I snipped (temple to chin) have suddenly gone all wonky/spazzy in the dry air, so now I am resorting to bobby pinning them behind my ears...unless I use product on them when I go out.

Now I see and feel a new crop coming in that pop out above my ears and fall into my eyes :o

I can see it will be an interesting Summer, considering that my hair normally triples in volume with my curl explosions, and my silver is VERY curly :p

It may be best to style it .....then avoid mirrors and windows until evening LOL

It is what it is...growth (yay)....and autonomous hair shafts....and we must live peacefully together :eyebrows:

LongCurlyTress
January 17th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I am so glad to have found this thread! I think my 3b curly hair just naturally has these whispy's/frizz. I notice them more when I have my hair back in a bun and they are way too short to reach into the bun. If I use any product or spray, my hair looks so slicked back like a sea otter so I don't like that either. I just have learned to accept my whispy's which I think are really broken hairs. Many are shorter white/gray hairs so I have a feeling as my hair falls out, it is growing back white or gray. What is a girl to do? I can't wait to have some time to read through all the posts on this thread to maybe learn some new ideas to cope with these whispy's/ frizzies. ;(:pray:

It's raining today, so they appear worse due to the humidity. Here is a pic showing off my new TT hairstick too. ;):disco: It is from a wonderful swap/trade at the meetup this past weekend. It is about an inch too long for me, but hopefully, I will grow into it. ;)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11902&attachmentid=21003

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2016, 09:18 PM
:spitting: "a sea otter"....yup that would describe me too lol

When hanging around I just let them be....going out...usually my BBB and then a spritz of hairspray keeps them in place but still has softness and lift to it.

I'll have to try gel/bobby pins to curl my tendrils; moisture isn't doing it like it used to :shrug:

If it comes undone...:p....so be it!

Techmouse
January 17th, 2016, 11:07 PM
I belong here, too. One of my friends refers to the wispies on my crown area as "alfalfa tufts." No idea why she calls them that, other than the fact that they defy gravity and hairspray by sticking straight up.

Groovy Granny
January 18th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Unless she means 'Alfalfa' (Carl Switzer) from the Little Rascals in the 50's with the hair sticking up at the back of his head lol

LongCurlyTress
January 18th, 2016, 10:50 AM
:spitting: "a sea otter"....yup that would describe me too lol

When hanging around I just let them be....going out...usually my BBB and then a spritz of hairspray keeps them in place but still has softness and lift to it.

I'll have to try gel/bobby pins to curl my tendrils; moisture isn't doing it like it used to :shrug:

If it comes undone...:p....so be it!

Nice to know we are not alone with dealing with our whispy's! :)

Stray_mind
January 18th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Mine stay slicked back for.... like 5 seconds :D And then they are all wild again. And when it's humid... Oh, they loooove humid weather. They start curling and forming entire strands. I actually like them now. The updos look prettier to me when they are not "perfect".

RavenMane
January 18th, 2016, 06:05 PM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg210/wrestle103/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160118_175424_880.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/wrestle103/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160118_175424_880.jpg.html)
Here are mine!

RavenMane
January 18th, 2016, 06:09 PM
I read that those hairs are genetically predetermined to only grow to a certain length. They have a shorter terminal length! Which makes sense, cuz mine above my temples are symmetrical on either side. So I don't think it's from breakage.

khryz
January 18th, 2016, 06:49 PM
My wispies are all rise and shine today!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t654/borderlinepink/20160119_094401_zpsb24vv5um.jpg

lapushka
January 19th, 2016, 05:38 AM
I love pictures of wisps; so cute! :D

LongCurlyTress
January 19th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Well, I am beginning to think that my "whispy's/halo/frizz" --are really from hair breakage during detangling. I have thick 4" 3b hair at almost TBL when stretched out and the detangling these days is creating a ton of breakage. I can hear the snaps when I am combing through. Does anyone else with my hair type and thickness have this problem? If so, how are you dealing with it? I am very frustrated since my whispys are not cute and with this rainy weather, they are all haloing all over the place. ;( Ugh... thanks!

ETA to add this pic from my Bun album:

lapushka
January 19th, 2016, 09:35 AM
ETA to add this pic from my Bun album:

I'd say that's quite normal.

Is it different somehow, the detangling process, than before?

LongCurlyTress
January 19th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I'd say that's quite normal.

Is it different somehow, the detangling process, than before?

It just seems that the longer my hair gets, the more difficult detangling is with 3b hair and my hair is snapping more. I think I need to coat it heavier in wash out conditioner... and just use that as a leave in too, but then my hair gets really stringy from that. ugh...:/ So many leave ins and detanglers like John Freida have silk protein and that matts my hair worse and creates more breakage. ;( My hair growing journey may be reaching its' final destination due to this....;(( Some with curly hair start to layer their hair at this length-- but for me, it just creates more layers of tangles, if that makes sense. thanks for your help!! :(( :wail:

Someone suggested in a fb group that I only detangle when my hair is dry. I would never use a comb on my dry hair, but maybe brush. I dunno...:rolleyes: Just as I am finally reaching what I consider an extreme length for me... :/

lapushka
January 19th, 2016, 12:53 PM
It just seems that the longer my hair gets, the more difficult detangling is with 3b hair and my hair is snapping more. I think I need to coat it heavier in wash out conditioner... and just use that as a leave in too, but then my hair gets really stringy from that. ugh...:/ So many leave ins and detanglers like John Freida have silk protein and that matts my hair worse and creates more breakage. ;( My hair growing journey may be reaching its' final destination due to this....;(( Some with curly hair start to layer their hair at this length-- but for me, it just creates more layers of tangles, if that makes sense. thanks for your help!! :(( :wail:

Someone suggested in a fb group that I only detangle when my hair is dry. I would never use a comb on my dry hair, but maybe brush. I dunno...:rolleyes: Just as I am finally reaching what I consider an extreme length for me... :/

Nooo don't do that, dry hair is worse to detangle when you're curly (even wavy).

I'd start calmly at the bottom, then work my way up with nothing but a WT comb, but maybe you do that already? I don't know. For all I know you might use a Denman brush (I hate those things, they pull at my scalp). I use a WT comb and Tangle Teezer and I've never had issues, but I'm not curly. Maybe ask Quixii. She has knee, I think, with curls.

LongCurlyTress
January 19th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Nooo don't do that, dry hair is worse to detangle when you're curly (even wavy).

I'd start calmly at the bottom, then work my way up with nothing but a WT comb, but maybe you do that already? I don't know. For all I know you might use a Denman brush (I hate those things, they pull at my scalp). I use a WT comb and Tangle Teezer and I've never had issues, but I'm not curly. Maybe ask Quixii. She has knee, I think, with curls.
I only detangle with my Madora wide tooth comb. Any kind of comb with wider spread teeth like the Conair - my tangles just go right through inbetween the widely spaced teeth. I think I need to detangle in the shower again when my hair is loaded with condtioner. I stopped doing this with the water saving restrictions for the drought we are having here where I live. I felt myself rushed and nervous that I needed to detangle quickly to save water. It has been too chilly to just shut off the water and stand there and detangle with the conditoner on. ;( So I started rinsing it out, and detangling with a comb after I get dressed. I can hear the snapping though even when I go slowly. I did stop using coconut oil on the ends before sleeping since it seems to be gluing my hemline together and does not wash out in the shower, esp when it solidifies at or under 76 degrees. I will ask Quixii how she deals with detangling. She should know. And she certainly is doing something right, although I have a feeling my hair is thicker than hers is which would definitely add a degree of difficulty in the detangling department. Great suggestion!! Thank you lapushka!! :poot:

ETA- Just washed my hair and detangled with tons of thick Kirkland conditioner in the shower w my Madora comb. It went alot better. Guess I will be wasting water!! Also, I put in a dime sized amount in my palms of the same conditioner and when I detangled again with the Madora comb outside of the shower, it glided through. Now to hope my halo calms down!! Just wanted to update you lapuska!! yay! I guess I just needed some leave in cream conditioner. ) Let's hope so anyways!

Groovy Granny
January 19th, 2016, 03:58 PM
The crown halo looks like normal growth; I have a ton of it....all new silver.

My resolution is just not to look at my reflection, especially with back lighting :pinktongue: LOL

Sorry about the tangling!
Maybe a post in the curly thread will get you more remedies; HLH comes to mind.

Good luck;hope you can grow to your goal!

ETA: no more tendrils....my silver is too fine!
Thankfully they are just an inch away from containment; until then they are pinned :p

arelrios
January 19th, 2016, 06:44 PM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg210/wrestle103/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160118_175424_880.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/wrestle103/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160118_175424_880.jpg.html)
Here are mine!
Mine are quite similar to yours... Only that I have longer strands scattered and they tend to 'curl' somehow (lesigh)... Your hair looks lovely btw

RavenMane
January 19th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Thanks arelrios!

lapushka
January 20th, 2016, 06:34 AM
I only detangle with my Madora wide tooth comb. Any kind of comb with wider spread teeth like the Conair - my tangles just go right through inbetween the widely spaced teeth. I think I need to detangle in the shower again when my hair is loaded with condtioner. I stopped doing this with the water saving restrictions for the drought we are having here where I live. I felt myself rushed and nervous that I needed to detangle quickly to save water. It has been too chilly to just shut off the water and stand there and detangle with the conditoner on. ;( So I started rinsing it out, and detangling with a comb after I get dressed. I can hear the snapping though even when I go slowly. I did stop using coconut oil on the ends before sleeping since it seems to be gluing my hemline together and does not wash out in the shower, esp when it solidifies at or under 76 degrees. I will ask Quixii how she deals with detangling. She should know. And she certainly is doing something right, although I have a feeling my hair is thicker than hers is which would definitely add a degree of difficulty in the detangling department. Great suggestion!! Thank you lapushka!! :poot:

ETA- Just washed my hair and detangled with tons of thick Kirkland conditioner in the shower w my Madora comb. It went alot better. Guess I will be wasting water!! Also, I put in a dime sized amount in my palms of the same conditioner and when I detangled again with the Madora comb outside of the shower, it glided through. Now to hope my halo calms down!! Just wanted to update you lapuska!! yay! I guess I just needed some leave in cream conditioner. ) Let's hope so anyways!

Well I'm glad you found something that works! :D Yay! :cheer:

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Here's hoping....happy you found a potential solution...thanks to our ever so helpful lapushka :thumbsup:

LongCurlyTress
January 20th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Here's hoping....happy you found a potential solution...thanks to our ever so helpful lapushka :thumbsup:

Thank you GG!! YES!! ;) lapushka knows her stuff, as they say! Thanks lapushka!! ;)

LongCurlyTress
January 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Well I'm glad you found something that works! :D Yay! :cheer:

Thank you lapushka!!! :o
The true test will be during detangling today if the conditioner being left in yesterday fried my hair. Usually that is what leave in condtioners do to my hair. fingers- crossed not too much shedding/breakage will occur! shudder:

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Thank you GG!! YES!! ;) lapushka knows her stuff, as they say! Thanks lapushka!! ;)

Lord knows she has been a great help to me in my hair journey over the years!

LongCurlyTress
January 20th, 2016, 11:45 AM
LHC buddies are the best! :blossom: Who else really--truly knows just how important pretty and healthy length means to us? :o Hugs!!

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2016, 12:27 PM
LHC buddies are the best! :blossom: Who else really--truly knows just how important pretty and healthy length means to us? :o Hugs!!

Amen to that :thumbsup:

I would never have gotten to my goal without all the help from our long hair sisters!

It has been an awesome journey (to be continued )....and I am so very grateful :flowers:

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone, hope you don't mind if I join in. I'm so late to enter but I definitely have wispies! I kind of love them, actually :) They frame my face nicely and they're fun to play with :p

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Hi everyone, hope you don't mind if I join in. I'm so late to enter but I definitely have wispies! I kind of love them, actually :) They frame my face nicely and they're fun to play with :p

There is no time limit to join....wispies have their own timetables lol

One day sleek....the next week POOF :p

Welcome to the club :)

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 01:31 PM
There is no time limit to join....wispies have their own timetables lol

One day sleek....the next week POOF :p

Welcome to the club :)

Thanks! :laugh: I just love how light and soft they are. If my hair's up, they almost make me feel like I have hair that short all around and it's an interesting feeling :)

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I can relate to that; my face is framed in white and it is very fine and fluffy!
It's more enjoyable if it is out of my eyes and mouth :p

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I can relate to that; my face is framed in white and it is very fine and fluffy!
It's more enjoyable if it is out of my eyes and mouth :p

Yes, definitely! ;) I have that problem far too often :rolleyes:

missrandie
January 20th, 2016, 03:02 PM
So, I deciced to see what my recalcitrant wispies think of cowashing and air drying, and being encouraged to be separate and different from the rest.

Turns out they curl. Like, "I did this with a curling iron" looking curl on the right temple, and a little bit more... Organically shaped wildness on the left; it curls just as much, but in different directions. To the sides of my forehead I have little wavy babies, and each side of my nape has an inch diameter C.

Guess they like it.

I am constantly amazed when I see curlies and wavies in my hair, because I always wanted them and never thought I had them.

Suppose I was wrong :)

maborosi
January 20th, 2016, 07:35 PM
I have some wispies all around my face. I really like how they soften my updo looks, otherwise, slicked back looks a bit harsh for me.

I have very straight hair everywhere, but the wispies around my face (especially around my ears) are almost like barrel curls. They just come out that way- it's weird.

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I have some wispies all around my face. I really like how they soften my updo looks, otherwise, slicked back looks a bit harsh for me.

Same here! :grin:

lapushka
January 21st, 2016, 06:25 AM

Thank you lapushka!!! :o
The true test will be during detangling today if the conditioner being left in yesterday fried my hair. Usually that is what leave in condtioners do to my hair. fingers- crossed not too much shedding/breakage will occur! shudder:

Aaaw you guys are the greatest! Thank you!!! :smooch:

Wildcat Diva
March 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Nape wispy bump. Where are my people?
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/78BD0F7D-B7B4-4877-B57D-0108546B4E22_zpsltb5mojt.jpg

Confession: my first LHC summer (2012) I had husband shave them off because I thought I was supposed to have a perfect hairline.

missrandie
March 15th, 2016, 08:01 PM
All the wispies! Except mine are more chunkies at the moment.

Anya15
March 15th, 2016, 08:45 PM
OMG yesss. I have a ton of wispies around my hairline and nape. No amount of smoothening them back can tame them (unless it's 3rd day hair.)

dfotw
March 15th, 2016, 10:18 PM

Yessssssssssss!

I have wispies *and* frizz, and to be honest I can't quite tell anymore where one ends and the other begins. It's exasperating when trying to achieve a neat, sleek look, too.
I guess I'll try some of the suggestions upthread and instead of trying to keep the wispies back, I'll draw them out and encourage them to 'soften' the look of my updos... if I can stand the feeling of hair floating around my face.

Pictorial evidence:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/d257b5bb1dd72de0c79d77b8d8dd7a7e/tumblr_o3ugcyI3kV1qfmetxo3_500.jpg
This one lasted all day on oiled, 'slicked back' hair.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/e514f717cf35e63c72a8a2bedc2e863e/tumblr_o3qqihnk4o1qfmetxo3_500.jpg
Behold the Great Nape Ringlet!

http://41.media.tumblr.com/8095a602e42f7b854c502afd60113c68/tumblr_o3dwkfbxRT1qfmetxo1_1280.jpg
This is what my hair normally looks like when dry (and why most of my pics are taken while it's all but dripping wet :p)

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 11:58 PM
I love my wispies. I have tons of them because the hair at my front hairline, especially on the edges has a very short terminal length. Only 4 iches at the maximum. And my mom said that it's always been like this. Even when I was a teenager. So, that's me and every kind of alteration of it looks bad. Slicked back looks REALLY bad on me.

Kendrix
March 16th, 2016, 02:20 AM
I like mine. They fall in my face and frame it like the bangs I always want but don't want.

lapushka
March 16th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Nape wispy bump. Where are my people?
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/78BD0F7D-B7B4-4877-B57D-0108546B4E22_zpsltb5mojt.jpg

Confession: my first LHC summer (2012) I had husband shave them off because I thought I was supposed to have a perfect hairline.

Oh no, please no shaving your nape hairs off! Pretty please? :) :o

Yessssssssssss!

I have wispies *and* frizz, and to be honest I can't quite tell anymore where one ends and the other begins. It's exasperating when trying to achieve a neat, sleek look, too.
I guess I'll try some of the suggestions upthread and instead of trying to keep the wispies back, I'll draw them out and encourage them to 'soften' the look of my updos... if I can stand the feeling of hair floating around my face.

Pictorial evidence:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/d257b5bb1dd72de0c79d77b8d8dd7a7e/tumblr_o3ugcyI3kV1qfmetxo3_500.jpg
This one lasted all day on oiled, 'slicked back' hair.

Such pretty curls you guys! Aw, wish mine would curl up. I have a ringlet sometimes, always on the left somewhere, but not underneath.

HeartofHaleth
March 16th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Another "horned" member here! I also have the bits of hair going way down my nape.

Wildcat Diva, I'm afraid I've done something similar. I had gotten a wig for a costume, but the costume wasn't finished yet and I wanted to wear the wig just to see how it felt. That was a little over a year ago, so my hair was probably midback-ish (maybe). The wig was very short, especially in the back, as in 1"-2" long. I had tried putting it on and really didn't like how my nape hairs showed below the edge of the wig, so....I took a pair of nail scissors and started hacking wildly. I trimmed them as close to my neck as I could. Unfortunately, I also ended up trimming some longer hairs too. I still have a wispy chunk in the back that's just barely starting to reach my bun (and only if I make it low). Oh well...:(

lithostoic
March 16th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Mine are blonde so it makes me look like I'm balding

Bubble_Curl
March 17th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I like the ones around my temples, even if they decide to play devi horns that day :thumbsup: I just don't like the ones in the back of my head, they come out and not down. They refuse to be tamed too...:confused:

PixieP
April 15th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I am joining by invitation from Lapushka ;D

I have massive amounts of wispies all around. I usually don't mind the ones around my face, except for when they ACT LIKE THIS!
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfqeqsclx.jpeg
I tried to slick them down with water, I slicked them down with water and pinned it until it dried, I put water and hair wax and pinned it, in the end I needed to pull out my straightener! And yet after an hours time they already started sneaking up again. Jeez!

I do mind the "wispies" around my neck...

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvcnjdioz.jpeg

I can seriously make a tiny ponytail of them. They're 10 centimeters long now, but they slide out of every bun or braid or ponytail. And in this picture they are actually behaving quite well.

Groovy Granny
April 15th, 2016, 02:41 PM
That looks familiar :wink:

Now I twist the nape hairs and bobby pin them below my bun; that holds them pretty good.
If they are curling nicely I leave them alone.

But the sides....today they blew right out of my pins in the wind (the rest was in a high ponytail); even hairspray wouldn't have mattered :shrug:

I had the Einstein look :laugh:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/grichardocds/ImageGen_zpsvmg7j3od.jpg

It's to the point that once I style my hair I just can't look in a mirror/window; just push it back out of my face as needed with fingers and ignore it :p

Hairkay
April 15th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I currently have 8 cornrows. In front of each cornrow is a little spiral then there's a spiral each at my ears. That's 10 of them. By tomorrow there may be another added. They'll disappear for a little while when I detangle and restyle my hair they they'll spring back up.

lapushka
April 15th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I do mind the "wispies" around my neck...

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvcnjdioz.jpeg

I can seriously make a tiny ponytail of them. They're 10 centimeters long now, but they slide out of every bun or braid or ponytail. And in this picture they are actually behaving quite well.

I like it! It makes it look soft & romantic! :D

Groovy Granny
April 15th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I like it! It makes it look soft & romantic! :D

That it does :thumbsup:

PixieP
April 15th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Thank you sweeties :)

Bobby pins don't hold my neck wispies, they just slide right out. And I try to avoid hairspray since my skin doesn't like it.

copperlites
April 15th, 2016, 06:44 PM
My whispies are alive and well in this photo I shared on the self made hair toys thread. My first attempt at a faux Flexi using a friend's guitar strings and a beaded bracelet from the op shop.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/mandy_hall1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsm1enwb9y.jpeg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mandy_hall1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsm1enwb9y.jpeg.html)
No idea how to resize the image sorry.

irishsapphire
April 15th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Me! At my temples and a few at my nape. They don't stick out, and mostly behave, and soften all my hair dos so I'll keep them. Although at my temples they are slowly growing out a teeny tiny bit, but they are still only about 3" long...

Groovy Granny
April 15th, 2016, 09:52 PM
My whispies are alive and well in this photo I shared on the self made hair toys thread. My first attempt at a faux Flexi using a friend's guitar strings and a beaded bracelet from the op shop.

No idea how to resize the image sorry.

Very pretty bun, flexi, and wispies :)

Groovy Granny
April 16th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I did a French Braid Ponytail to contain them in the winds today....pppffftttt :wigtongue they said; and I doubt even spray will help today.

uub
April 16th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I've got them at my temples and the nape of my neck. As far as slicking them back, I've tried get them to behave :whip: and it'll work for 10 minutes and then:misskim:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/uubone/Sel%20amp%20Poivre.jpeg (http://s125.photobucket.com/user/uubone/media/Sel%20amp%20Poivre.jpeg.html)

Groovy Granny
April 16th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I've got them at my temples and the nape of my neck. As far as slicking them back, I've tried get them to behave :whip: and it'll work for 10 minutes and then:misskim:

I have them there too; just recently they were long enough to get caught in updos lol

What a pretty LI you have; it looks great with your hair color! :thumbsup:

humble_knight
April 16th, 2016, 06:41 PM
What do you folk use to slick wispies down? I'm going for an interview in a month and will keep my hair tied back in a ponytail. Wispies stay under control for a short while if I oil my hair. Should I try leave-in conditioner and/or hairspray do you think?

Groovy Granny
April 16th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I have good luck using my BBB followed by hairspray; leave ins did nothing for these babies :p

uub
April 16th, 2016, 07:51 PM
What a pretty LI you have; it looks great with your hair color! :thumbsup:

Thanks Groovy Granny!

humble_knight
April 16th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I have good luck using my BBB followed by hairspray; leave ins did nothing for these babies :p

Cheers for that Granny! I shall try hairspray, then.

Groovy Granny
April 16th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Cheers for that Granny! I shall try hairspray, then.

Hopefully it works :pray: lol

Gel is nasty ....my hair is too fine.

Captamericium
April 17th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I have a lot of wispies and theyre long enough to tickle my face which is annoying but they do soften the look with updos which is why i don't mind them that much :)

Lizzie.torp
April 20th, 2016, 01:30 AM
I have wispies all the way around my head. Is there a way to grow them out? Maybe at least the longer crazy ones?

summergame
April 20th, 2016, 03:10 AM
I'm like Einstein with all my wispies :P

Groovy Granny
April 20th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I'm like Einstein with all my wispies :P

Glad to have company lol ~ Rock the look :rockerdud

Groovy Granny
April 21st, 2016, 10:22 AM
My major wispies are now pretty much contained in my updos; the rare pieces still lagging are held by a spritz of spray. :joy:

Then again...I have a headful of short pieces that will be an issue this Summer :p

This is never ending, and I am just about at the 'who cares' phase :laugh:

If it is in my eyes etc I will stick it up somehow; otherwise...meh :shrug:

lapushka
April 21st, 2016, 11:22 AM
I have wispies all the way around my head. Is there a way to grow them out? Maybe at least the longer crazy ones?

I don't think so. There are going to be hairs left that just won't grow longer, it's a continuous cycle of growth, so that comes with the territory, I guess. When hair is much shorter, they blend in more, but once it is longer, they tend to stand out more, esp. if you wear updos a lot. :)

Groovy Granny
April 23rd, 2016, 10:01 AM
Looks like it will be an interesting Summer 'wispie - wise' :p

It was humid last night after my Neutrogena shampoo and all my shorter crown hairs curled; NOTHING could have tamed them.

I best avoid all back lit viewing in mirrors/windows, and embrace my 'angelic halo' :laugh:

Robot Ninja
April 23rd, 2016, 10:36 AM
So, after cutting in some thin face-framing layers/long sideburns/whatever, and with my bangs, I have finally solved the problem of the hairline wispies. Now they're part of a deliberate style and not just random hair flying all over the place at the slightest breeze. Now it's just me and my eternal nemesis, the nape wispies; too short to stay in a bun, too long to be cute. If I had a three-way mirror and a pair of clippers I'd be buzzing those buggers right off.